Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
In my daytime career (as opposed to my shitposting career), I partly do work with one of Australia's biggest loyalty card programs, though not one of the supermarket ones. The amount of data that loyalty card programs generate per customer is absolutely phenomenal. The supermarkets have been doing this sort of stuff for ages, and have brought in people from the UK to beef up their programs - remember that Tesco in the UK is also a bank.

They're already crunching huge amounts of data about you; whether it will be useful to political parties I don't know. You'd certainly be able to predict political leanings based on a very small sample size though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've been on the mobile app exclusively for a while and just noticed I have a new custom title.

Noted Labor supporter, Gough Suppressant.

edit: it was probably an intern, loving scabs.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

I've been on the mobile app exclusively for a while and just noticed I have a new custom title.

Noted Labor supporter, Gough Suppressant.

edit: it was probably an intern, loving scabs.

I asked you about it a few pages ago too!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

webmeister posted:

In my daytime career (as opposed to my shitposting career), I partly do work with one of Australia's biggest loyalty card programs, though not one of the supermarket ones. The amount of data that loyalty card programs generate per customer is absolutely phenomenal. The supermarkets have been doing this sort of stuff for ages, and have brought in people from the UK to beef up their programs - remember that Tesco in the UK is also a bank.

They're already crunching huge amounts of data about you; whether it will be useful to political parties I don't know. You'd certainly be able to predict political leanings based on a very small sample size though!

I worked for one of the supermarket ones. Yeah, you wouldn't believe the amount of information they have.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

I asked you about it a few pages ago too!

I just assumed you'd been on the piss.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I just assumed you'd been on the piss.

That would usually be fair, but I think it was like 9am.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

That would usually be fair, but I think it was like 9am.

I don't judge, merely observe.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

webmeister posted:

Are my sausages lefty or is it the coffee?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

webmeister posted:

The Greens ran a really solid campaign for the second senate seat in the ACT. Although much of their success was due to Simon Sheik's name recognition and ACT liberal voter distaste for Zed Seselja and how he rolled Humphries, a lot of it was due to the serious IT support the campaign had. As an example, door-knocking volunteers recorded the reception they got at each individual house from 1 to 5 which influenced whether they'd get a follow-up, and tried to tease out what issues they were most concerned about, which fed into what type of mailouts they'd receive later in the campaign. A lot of it was due to the Greens taking notes of Obama's ground game in 2012 which had a similar level of IT-enabled electioneering.

It'd be fascinating to see whether likely political leaning could be teased out from shopping habits. Door-knocking is a really good tool but it's a limited resource and any way to be smarter about where it's employed would be really valuable. So say for example there was an incredibly strong link established such that someone buying a line of organic products is 90% likely to vote Green. Those people no longer get a visit from door-knockers, because their vote is pretty much locked in already. Or alternatively, people who buy "Atlas Scrubbed" body wash who have only a 1% likelihood to vote Green, who can now also be crossed off the list.

One of the key things is that with enough feedback loops you can try a bunch of different ideas and get a good feel very quickly whether it's working or not. The libs (and to only a slightly lesser extent the ALP) are going to be at a disadvantage at this, at least for the next few years, because the student politics wallys that increasingly make up their youth wings are good at internal politics and not much else. So they're lacking some of the dynamism that can come from passionate volunteers that have a good sense of what tech can do and a willingness to try a bunch of different poo poo and see what sticks. Instead they're buying it from advertising agencies, who will get there eventually but are lagging because their expertise is mostly tied up in traditional media.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 10, 2014

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

ewe2 posted:

Coffee, the true tory wouldn't dare be caught making their own drink.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm well aware that this is all also incredibly invasive and creepy. But it's happening already, maybe it's worth looking at seriously and eking out what benefits it may have for the good guys.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Anyone in Brisbane work somewhere that's hiring? Just got hosed out of my job days before I become protected by unfair dismissal laws and I really need work

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Treasurer Joe Hockey has been urged to reboot his budget and scrap the unpopular $7 GP co-payment, with former Liberal treasurer Peter Costello saying governments have to cut their losses.

Mr Costello said the Coalition should "reboot the whole argument" by bringing forward the next intergenerational report, which highlights long-term pressures on government spending.

It should also dump measures unlikely to pass the Senate, he said.

"Sooner or later you have to cut losses," he told the Ten Network on Sunday.

"The $7 co-payment ... it's just not going to happen, so let's move on."

Mr Costello also rebuked his former colleague for complaining that business had not adequately backed his budget.

"There is no point blaming business ... he's got to get it through, it's his responsibility," he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/dump-gp-copayment-peter-costello-tells-joe-hockey-20140810-102i5z.html#ixzz39yqIojby

lol.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Tirade posted:

The Greens ran a really solid campaign for the second senate seat in the ACT. Although much of their success was due to Simon Sheik's name recognition and ACT liberal voter distaste for Zed Seselja and how he rolled Humphries, a lot of it was due to the serious IT support the campaign had. As an example, door-knocking volunteers recorded the reception they got at each individual house from 1 to 5 which influenced whether they'd get a follow-up, and tried to tease out what issues they were most concerned about, which fed into what type of mailouts they'd receive later in the campaign. A lot of it was due to the Greens taking notes of Obama's ground game in 2012 which had a similar level of IT-enabled electioneering.

Incidentally, the SA Greens have just finished a door knocking campaign using the same 1 to 5 method and I can attest to it being a really useful way of gathering information while also increasing community visibility and support levels. I had quite a few people comment that it was good to see the Greens instead of the ALP keeping up the pressure on the government.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

From memory it's on a scale of caviar to quinoa.

Snags and coffee are middle ground, unless it's organic, free range or free trade.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and eats quinoa should be shot

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and eats quinoa should be shot

Yeah the caviar was for the leftists.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's just espresso not latte.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Whitehouse Awarded Aboriginal Scholarship To Course That Never Ran
By Chris Graham

The saga around the Whitehouse Institute of Design's secret $60,000 scholarship has taken another twist. Chris Graham reports.

The Whitehouse Institute of Design – the private Sydney college at the centre of a growing storm around a secret $60,000 scholarship awarded to the daughter of the Australian Prime Minister – gave away a small Indigenous scholarship for a course that never ran.

The scholarship, worth less than one-tenth of the value of the secret scholarship provided to Frances Abbott, was presented at a gala ceremony held in December last year, to celebrate Whitehouse’s 25th birthday.

Worth $4,400, it was awarded to a young Aboriginal designer from the Northern Territory, for a Certificate III in Design Fundamentals. The award was profiled by industry bible Vogue Australia.

But the scholarship – scheduled to start in January this year – never commenced because the Design Fundamentals course failed to attract sufficient student enrolments.

A Whitehouse insider told New Matilda it was the fifth straight unsuccessful attempt to launch the Vocational Education and Training (VET) course.

The two-day gala event - sponsored by major international brands including Emirates - was attended by Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his family, and also hosted some of the heavy weights of the fashion industry.

The scholarship was presented by prominent Aboriginal model, Samantha Harris. There is no assertion from New Matilda that Ms Harris had any knowledge the course was unlikely to run.

In response, Whitehouse has insisted the scholarship was genuine, and claimed the student has recently commenced study at Whitehouse, enrolling in alternative courses to the same value.

However, Whitehouse has ignored repeated questions about why the student only commenced her studies six months after the scholarship should have begun, and why it occurred only after New Matilda began making inquiries about the issue.

Whitehouse officials refused to be interviewed for this story, and declined repeated requests to provide details on when Whitehouse first offered alternative studies to the scholarship winner. Instead a written statement was issued last week through public relations firm Res Republica.

The statement read: “Whitehouse was a sponsor of Australian Indigenous Fashion Week in April 2014.

“The Institute provided its Sydney Campus to many Indigenous fashion designers to use as a studio and their HQ in preparation for Australian Indigenous Fashion Week, and as part of our involvement in this event one scholarship for a new Whitehouse Institute course was awarded to a talented young designer.

“Enrolment for that course was lower than expected so it has yet to commence, however Whitehouse was committed to providing the student concerned with the scholarship support offered to her and she has taken up an equivalent alternative. Her studies are already underway.

“Any suggestion that the scholarship offer was not legitimate or that the young designer concerned has not had the opportunity to avail herself of a scholarship at Whitehouse is unfounded and untrue.”

On further questioning, Whitehouse conceded the student commenced her studies in June, which was after the story about Frances Abbott broke and New Matilda began making inquiries.

But a further statement from Res Publica described as “simply ludicrous” any suggestion the start date of the student’s enrolment was related to any “inquiry from New Matilda”.

A Whitehouse insider told New Matilda that the scholarship was offered in order to help attract “a big name” - such as Samantha Harris - to Whitehouse’s 25th anniversary celebrations.

The insider said the Design Fundamentals course was the second cheapest course offered by Whitehouse, although the college knew there was a strong chance the course would not run, because four previous attempts to start it had failed.

New Matilda unsuccessfully sought comment from the scholarship winner shortly after the details of Frances Abbott’s secret scholarship were publicly revealed in May.

Whitehouse’s 25th anniversary gala celebrations has already been the subject of several New Matilda stories.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott his wife attended the event, and were wined and dined in an exclusive ‘VIP function’ separate from hundreds of attendees.

Two cases of Dom Perignon champagne were provided for the private function, which was limited to around two dozen people.

Whitehouse has strongly denied ever lobbying the Prime Minister about higher education reform, although hundreds of people at the gala event witnessed college owner Leanne Whitehouse complain from the stage to Prime Minister Abbott about the red tape and costs associated with running private colleges.

Ms Whitehouse described her comments to the Prime Minister as “teasing”, and strongly rejected any suggestion Mr Abbott was lobbied at the private function later in the evening.

Ms Whitehouse’s assertions were backed by a statement issued to New Matilda in May by a spokesperson for the Prime Minister, who said he “could not recall” any lobbying efforts by Whitehouse.

The Prime Minister has also strongly refuted any suggestion the scholarship awarded to his daughter was not on the basis of merit, and has refused to update his parliamentary interests’ register on that basis.

Documents and testimony obtained by New Matilda in May revealed the scholarship for a Bachelor of Design was not advertised, was kept secret from other students and even senior staff at the college, and was awarded after Ms Abbott attended a single meeting with the college.

Whitehouse’s website today still reports that scholarships are not available for the Bachelor of Design course.

The Whitehouse story broke after the Abbott Government handed down a federal budget which it described as signaling “the end of the age of entitlement”.

That budget also proposes to increase the fees paid on student loans, and de-regulate the higher education sector, which will see fees for tertiary education courses sky-rocket.

The budget also, for the first time, proposes to provide access for privately owned colleges to $800 million in public funding.

The reforms have yet to be passed through parliament.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and participates in the economy in any way should be shot

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Haters Objector posted:

Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and participates in the economy in any way should be shot

Yeah Gough, when are you going to drop the "YOU'RE ALL AS BAD AS THE RULING CLASS" gimmick? It's getting pretty tired.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
A good post

Splode posted:

Yeah Gough, when are you going to drop the "YOU'RE ALL AS BAD AS THE RULING CLASS" gimmick? It's getting pretty tired.

The day I take posting advice from you is the day I donate to the IPA and vote Liberal.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Only if it's not grown in Tasmania. Seriously. Buy Quinoa from Tassie because then you're not complicit in the poverty of South American communities who rely on it being cheaply available as a dietary staple.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tirade posted:

"Atlas Scrubbed" body wash

holy poo poo :eyepop:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tirade posted:

It'd be fascinating to see whether likely political leaning could be teased out from shopping habits. Door-knocking is a really good tool but it's a limited resource and any way to be smarter about where it's employed would be really valuable. So say for example there was an incredibly strong link established such that someone buying a line of organic products is 90% likely to vote Green. Those people no longer get a visit from door-knockers, because their vote is pretty much locked in already. Or alternatively, people who buy "Atlas Scrubbed" body wash who have only a 1% likelihood to vote Green, who can now also be crossed off the list.

Could it be done? Probably, but without any external validation you have no way of knowing whether it's correct or not.

With one of our clients, we asked about 2,000 of their loyalty club members how much they agreed with a list of about 15 statements. From that, we created a model that covered off 9 distinct customer segments, each with different preferences and buying habits etc. We then matched this against their loyalty club data, and used that data to predict which segment each customer would fall into. Once our algorithm could do that, we applied it across their entire loyalty club database (several million members). From memory, we managed to categorise I think about 89% of the database which we were pretty happy with!

So using something like that, you'd definitely be able to do it - it's just a matter of actually getting the data in the first place. I doubt Coles or Woolies would be all that keen on sharing their loyalty card data without getting something in return!!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

pretty sure using invasive data collection for your own ends is bad, and a better policy would be "We'll push for legislation to ban woolies and coles collecting all this data because it's bad for society to have huge corporations manipulating their customers into doing things they otherwise wouldn't!"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Splode posted:

pretty sure using invasive data collection for your own ends is bad, and a better policy would be "We'll push for legislation to ban woolies and coles collecting all this data because it's bad for society to have huge corporations manipulating their customers into doing things they otherwise wouldn't!"

Why do you hate fabulous FlyBuys bargains?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Splode posted:

Then we'll have to abolish advertising.

Which I am all in support of.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

Then we'll have to abolish advertising.

Which I am all in support of.

This would just boost the PR industry and sponsored blogs/newspaper articles. So we'll have to ban the media too I guess!

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Tirade posted:

One of the key things is that with enough feedback loops you can try a bunch of different ideas and get a good feel very quickly whether it's working or not. The libs (and to only a slightly lesser extent the ALP) are going to be at a disadvantage at this, at least for the next few years, because the student politics wallys that increasingly make up their youth wings are good at internal politics and not much else. So they're lacking some of the dynamism that can come from passionate volunteers that have a good sense of what tech can do and a willingness to try a bunch of different poo poo and see what sticks. Instead they're buying it from advertising agencies, who will get there eventually but are lagging because their expertise is mostly tied up in traditional media.

Good poast. I believe (TOML, plz correct if I am wrong) the Greens also make use of Nation Builder (http://nationbuilder.com/), which was a big US Democrats staple.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Splode posted:

This would just boost the PR industry and sponsored blogs/newspaper articles. So we'll have to ban the media too I guess!

great

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Splode posted:

I don't disagree with you, but at this point you'd be locking the gate when the horse is halfway across the state.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Splode posted:

Without going deep into their data collection policies, I always wondered how far supermarket data collection goes. I know that loyalty stuff gets taken, but I always wondered if there was anything stopping them from collecting every transaction. There's plenty of value in (pseudo-)anonymous transaction records. Knowing how people can be easily psychologically manipulated, its odd that the government maintains a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards data collection. If the government collected and used everything they could about a person in the way a retailer does, we'd be up in arms about it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Small Keating posted:

Good poast. I believe (TOML, plz correct if I am wrong) the Greens also make use of Nation Builder (http://nationbuilder.com/), which was a big US Democrats staple.

I think NationBuilder was used by Adam Bandt's 2013 campaign as something of a pilot program, to see whether it was worth it. I'm pretty sure it's now getting some use in the Victorian Greens campaign- for the state election this November.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I'll bite; what's wrong with quinoa?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Serrath posted:

I'll bite; what's wrong with quinoa?

Rich westerners priced poor South Americans out of buying their staple food item

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Without going deep into their data collection policies, I always wondered how far supermarket data collection goes. I know that loyalty stuff gets taken, but I always wondered if there was anything stopping them from collecting every transaction. There's plenty of value in (pseudo-)anonymous transaction records. Knowing how people can be easily psychologically manipulated, its odd that the government maintains a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards data collection. If the government collected and used everything they could about a person in the way a retailer does, we'd be up in arms about it.

Every single sale gets tracked, but not on an individual level. They can tell you how many bottles of Coke or kilos of onions or whatever get sold in a week (if you're interested Nielsen Retail and Aztek are the primary data houses for this), but not who's buying them or in conjunction with what.

That's why the loyalty card exists - it's a number you swipe at the checkout that connects the dots between all your purchases.

The data gets used for non-nefarious purposes as well, things like "oh hey people who buy Doritos are 37% more likely to buy at least one chocolate bar per shop, let's put some Cadbury blocks on special near the Doritos". Stuff like that feeds into store layouts as well as pricing etc - it can lead to better sales and sometimes a better outcome for customers as well.

All that said, I don't have any loyalty cards :)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Splode posted:

My PhD is in data mining and I absolutely agree with this statement, even though it'd mean I'd have to find a new job. The amount of poo poo that can be found out about you from what you eat, the TV shows you watch and your browsing history is hilariously terrifying.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I know that it's an unstoppable force at this point, but it's a real shame such powerful data is used for the same ridiculously dumb short-sighted goals of capitalism. I imagine you could use it to get some great healthy eating programs in supermarkets and other stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

My PhD is in data mining and I absolutely agree with this statement, even though it'd mean I'd have to find a new job. The amount of poo poo that can be found out about you from what you eat, the TV shows you watch and your browsing history is hilariously terrifying.

Is that based on a comp sci. undergrad, or something else? I could imagine an undergrad data mining degree being an interesting combination of compsci/science/math/economics and social science courses.

• Locked thread