Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Also, Vox? Any word on how good my wrassledorf was? He was a gimmick, yeah, but I wanted to make him at least decent. He certainly lasted the longest of the group :v:

VVV :doh: Jazzimus. Not Vox. I'm stupid and just got off work, ignore me.

Galick fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Galick posted:

Also, Vox? Any word on how good my wrassledorf was? He was a gimmick, yeah, but I wanted to make him at least decent. He certainly lasted the longest of the group :v:

...Vox Nihili hasn't been in this thread for years. I don't even know if he's still alive.

E: Huh. He posts about law poo poo now.

E2: HE COULD STILL BE DEAD YOU DON'T KNOW

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

E2: HE COULD STILL BE DEAD YOU DON'T KNOW

Dispute resolution...FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! :iit:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Galick posted:

VVV :doh: Jazzimus. Not Vox. I'm stupid and just got off work, ignore me.

He was a pretty decent build I thought, and probably could have done something if his teammates hadn't gone down so fast. And he was holding his own until he got teamed up on.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

...Vox Nihili hasn't been in this thread for years. I don't even know if he's still alive.

Yeah, Vox is either in law school or might even be finished with it and practicing law now, either way he hasn't had near as much time for video games. :smith:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 1, Match 3 :siren:

Nonindicative Name vs Catholicism

GEMCLOD, Dwarfhalla (Dorfsociated Press) -- If Likely Shortlived had lived up to her name, this could have been a very different fight. Instead, Nonindicative Name managed a 3-0 victory over Catholicism that was much closer than the score would indicate.

The bloodshed started quickly, as Jack had a leg broken by an opening strike from Aspenger, and IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER likewise having a leg broken by an opening strike from snarfsnarf. Aspenger was the next to fall to the arena floor, after nearly having a leg severed by Likely Shortlived.

On the ground, Aspenger tried to finish Jack off with a perfect strike that impaled his heart, but fighting through the pain, Jack responded by decapitating Aspenger. WEREWOLFNOTTIGER also fought effectively from the ground, inflicting a painful bone bruise to snarfsnarf's spine and pulping the tigerwoman's tail with his maul. An arrow from The Pope knocked Jack unconscious from the pain, and Catholicism appeared to be close to taking control of the fight in spite of their bad start. But then WEREWOLFNOTTIGER broke snarfsnarf's leg with a maul strike from the ground, sending the tigerwoman to the ground with the others.

The two tiger-people then proceeded to hit each other with hammers on the ground, snarfsnarf getting the better of the exchange by breaking WOLFNOTTIGER's weapon arm with a strike. Unfortunately for Catholicism, an uninjured Likely Shortlived had made her way to the combat, and severed snarfsnarf's weapon hand, knocking her unconscious from the pain, before splitting her head in two with a sword strike.

At this point, the only uninjured fighters left were Likely Shortlived and The Pope, whose archer build was not well-suited for taking on an uninjured melee fighter without any melee support. The Pope's first arrow shot was blocked by Likely Shortlived's shield, and before The Pope could get another arrow loaded, Likely Shortlived charged the kobold, knocked her over, stabbed her through the spine with her sword, and then decapitated her just before Jack could die of blood loss, thus preserving a perfect 3-0 score for Nonindicative Name.

Catholicism will be resurrected to face Little Guys Long Spears next weekend, and Nonindicative Name will be healed to take on Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants.

Kills - Likely Shortlived 2, Jack 1

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

He was a pretty decent build I thought, and probably could have done something if his teammates hadn't gone down so fast. And he was holding his own until he got teamed up on.

Yeah, Vox is either in law school or might even be finished with it and practicing law now, either way he hasn't had near as much time for video games. :smith:

Time for a new thread after the test round then?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Unfortunately for Catholicism, an uninjured Likely Shortlived had made his way to the combat

Her. :sparkles:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Whoops, fixed.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

quote:

On the ground, Aspenger tried to finish Jack off with a perfect strike that impaled his heart, but fighting through the pain, Jack responded by decapitating Aspenger.

:kheldragar: This is the most metal thing I have ever loving seen.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Whoops, fixed.

There's still the bit at the beginning- "lived up to his name."

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Time for a new thread after the test round then?

Yeah, I just didn't think the test round warranted its own thread.

apostateCourier posted:

There's still the bit at the beginning- "lived up to his name."

Got it. Incidentally, your opponent Catholicism was an all-female team.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yeah, I just didn't think the test round warranted its own thread.

Got it.

Thanks much! Hell of a fight. I enjoy close matches more than curbstomps. I changed to a sword and board build at the last second- now I'm extremely glad I did. Blocked an arrow on my way to kill the Pope.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
The things this forum makes us type. Seriously though, that was an interesting fight, curbstomps have their own appeal, but close matches that really could go either way are more fun to watch/read about.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
If you've lost all of your dwarfbucks betting, keep in mind that I have kept the old rules in place where the manager of a fighter on a winning team receives 100 dwarfbucks for the win, and the manager of a losing fighter receives 10 dwarfbucks for the effort. After the first round is complete I think I'll increase these amounts, and also add an end-of-round bonus for any player without a fighter who placed bets in the previous round, so that those without a fighter aren't removed from participation in the betting as well just because luck went against them for one round.

Not sure what the new numbers will be yet. Maybe 400 for a winning fighter, 300 for a losing fighter, and 250 for a participant without a fighter who placed a bet in the previous round. Or something like that.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Nonindicative Name vs Catholicism

:negative: Noooo!

Ah, well. I think my skills were way too low, and didn't get the chance to reassign points before the awesome juggernaut of Jazzimus went ahead with this.

Catholicism will have its revenge!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I do love the brutality we're seeing in these early fights! I wonder if it will continue into the playoffs if teams are getting more armoured.

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, he was also a level 14 striker, level 14 armor user, level 12 dodger, and some odd number of levels in fighting. And in his defense, he was bruising up his foe pretty well for a while, until he took an unlucky shot that literally exploded his foot. v:shobon:v

But I didn't really think it would work. However, if it had worked? Would've been fuckin' awesome, man.
I'd have thought bare fists would get you bruises as well. Do gauntlets even count as weapons for calculating punch damage?

I'll admit it was pretty awesome anyway. Keep doing what you do!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Slade gauntlets... That's great.

I did a lot of testing with wrestling but didn't get jack poo poo for results, maybe the dude just needs to be bigger in order to be effective with it? I testing wrestling serpent men which was a failure. Was thinking about boa constrictor build.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

Slade gauntlets... That's great.

I did a lot of testing with wrestling but didn't get jack poo poo for results, maybe the dude just needs to be bigger in order to be effective with it? I testing wrestling serpent men which was a failure. Was thinking about boa constrictor build.

I think I remember someone mentioning that a creature with legendary wrestling skill is roughly on par with a clueless creature twice its size regarding success odds for wrestling moves. And nothing but sheer size and strength can help you throw people better.

In short, as far as wrestling is concerned, go big or go extinct.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

I think I remember someone mentioning that a creature with legendary wrestling skill is roughly on par with a clueless creature twice its size regarding success odds for wrestling moves. And nothing but sheer size and strength can help you throw people better.

In short, as far as wrestling is concerned, go big or go extinct.

How do stranglers with their small size but strength+++ sort out in this?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ramc posted:

Not very well :(

I finally started tesfs, hoping to exploit the new broken strangle mechanics, but it seems the AI is still too dumb to use its ability to instakill anything in three actions.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 10, 2014

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Ramc posted:

Picture a 5-year-old attempting to wrestle a full grown man.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But don't google it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bene Elim posted:

Picture a 5-year-old attempting to wrestle a full grown man.

:quietly reassesses his Next Tourney build:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Combat Log posted:

Likely Shortlived slashes The Pope in the head with her steel long sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Pope has been struck down.

Wait, does this mean Likely Shortlived is The Pope now? I think that's how Catholicism works, not sure.

Also, good job to snarfsnarf, that copper shield came in handy a lot more than the short write up gives away.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Brutal, just brutal. I'm liking the chances of two well-shielded tree-huggers flanking a strong, upright human clad in glistening iron.

BTW, is there any way to see the load-outs of the fighters for the matches that are already finished?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

No, because it'd be unfair to know their exact initial loadout before the playoffs.

But you can often guess based on the fighters's equipment.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

Brutal, just brutal. I'm liking the chances of two well-shielded tree-huggers flanking a strong, upright human clad in glistening iron.

BTW, is there any way to see the load-outs of the fighters for the matches that are already finished?

I'd tell you the gimmick of mine, but it didn't come up because nothing got past my shield.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Did prone fighting get stronger or something? I feel like everyone just smashing each other's feet now.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm loving the new reporting style, but would it be possible to get more of a breakdown of who's who on each team? Weapons, races, and managers would be nice. At least links to the team pages?

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Anchors posted:

Wait, does this mean Likely Shortlived is The Pope now? I think that's how Catholicism works, not sure.

Also, good job to snarfsnarf, that copper shield came in handy a lot more than the short write up gives away.

I bought it mainly in case there were archers around, but you're correct she did alright with it. However seeing people with adamantine weapons or skill levels of 14 really shows how poor my build was.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Adamantine and crazy skills at this stage only belong to the tiniest of fighters who really badly need them to stand up to the bigger fighters.

You're probably not screwed until you see minotaurs wielding adamantium.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm sad to be out of the test tournament so early :[

All I wanted was to whack people with a halberd

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm sad to be out of the test tournament so early :[

All I wanted was to whack people with a halberd

You'll still get a chance!

This test tournament has a bit of a league set-up where you're guaranteed at least three matches with a playoff of whoever does the best. You fight The Wild Animals next.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

grobbendonk posted:

I bought it mainly in case there were archers around, but you're correct she did alright with it. However seeing people with adamantine weapons or skill levels of 14 really shows how poor my build was.

I had to spend half of my points on my adamantine pick, and had to sacrifice a lot in other areas because of it. It can do brutal damage if I get to use it, but it really relies on me getting a vital first hit with it, and not just hitting the fat on someone's arm like I did in our one fight so far. I think my build may be even more of a problem in this setting, where crippling one opponent early doesn't necessarily win. We shall see how future matches go.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Being alive means being a target, so defensive armor is a little better because even if you get all your limbs broken you are still distracting an opponent.

I'm gonna guess 3-0 to be the most common outcome even if the fighting is close, since the first team to score a kill can 2v1 the next guy.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Did prone fighting get stronger or something? I feel like everyone just smashing each other's feet now.
The combat/move speed split finally happened in 0.40, so while they can't move around much, they can still attack people while prone.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Haystack posted:

I'm loving the new reporting style, but would it be possible to get more of a breakdown of who's who on each team? Weapons, races, and managers would be nice. At least links to the team pages?

Yeah, I'll go back and include links to the team pages, and put those in the new updates going forward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WHERE'S THE BLOOD JAZZIMUS! WE DEMAND BLOOOOOOOD!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

WHERE'S THE BLOOD JAZZIMUS! WE DEMAND BLOOOOOOOD!

You want blood? I'll give you blood.

---

:siren: Test Tournament, Week 1, Match 4 :siren:

Little Guys Long Spears vs Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants

GEMCLOD, Dwarfhalla (Dorfsociated Press) -- Little Guys Long Spears won a hard-fought 3-0 victory over Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants, as Cat Stevens's punching skills proved to be too much for his opponents to overcome.

As the match began, Cat Stevens quickly found himself fighting both Love and Spermy in the center of the arena, while Paper Machete and Whip It Out fought each other in the north end of the arena, and Friendly Friar hanging back shooting arrows. Despite being outnumbered and unarmed, Cat Stevens had little trouble with his two opponents, as the tigerman's iron armor proved to be ample protection against Spermy's iron spears and Love's fearsome bite attack. Cat Stevens' punches proved very effective, smashing one of Love's arms and causing a bone to puncture one of Spermy's lungs with powerful strikes.

After an arrow from Friendly Friar broke one of Spermy's leg bones, Cat Stevens followed with a punch that obliterated Spermy's left arm, and a powerful kick to the torso ruptured most of Spermy's internal organs, causing him to die of heart failure on the spot. Infuriated by the loss of her teammate, Love pounced on Cat Stevens and began biting his face, knocking out several of the tigerman's teeth in the process. Cat Stevens responded with a series of claw swipes that drew a great deal of blood, knocking Love unconscious in the process.

Elsewhere in the arena, Paper Machete and Whip It Out had been fighting mostly to a draw, but the tide appeared to turn when Machete nearly severed one of Whip's legs, knocking the little gremlin to the arena floor. As Machete moved to finish off his opponent, Whip It Out landed a strike to the elf's legs with his scourge, and both fighters were on the ground.

As Friendly Friar emptied his quiver into a knocked-out Love while Cat Stevens repeatedly punched the strangler in the head until she stopped moving, Whip It Out landed another hit on Paper Machete with his scourge, causing the elf to go unconscious from the pain. After seven more lashes to the head, the elf was struck down to end the fighting.

Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants will be resurrected to face Nonindicative Name next weekend, and Little Guys Long Spears will be healed to take on Catholicism.

Kills - Cat Stevens 2, Whip It Out 1

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I firmly place the blame for our loss on everyone else on the team, as it is the most mature thing to do. For real though we're gonna get 'em next time. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.

• Locked thread