Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

ShadowCatboy posted:

You know, I wonder if Zaheer could've astrally projected himself while he was in prison. Would've made his stay less boring.

Yeah that's what I theorised earlier in the thread, that he and the other members imprisoned were constantly meeting up in the spirit world while imprisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Babygravy posted:

Yeah that's what I theorised earlier in the thread, that he and the other members imprisoned were constantly meeting up in the spirit world while imprisoned.
I don't know if that can work for the others : Zaheer was completely isolated, even from the guards, but the others always had some guards watching over them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ImpAtom posted:

Jinora also mentions that it is a high-level airbender technique.

Eeeeeh, I get the feeling she was just saying that to impress Kai seeing as Mr. Truthsayer was also shown astrally projecting, Unalaq was the first person in LoK shown to be able to do it. Yes spirituality is tied to it and because of how spiritual Airbenders tend to be they are kind of naturally apt but I think LoK is demonstrating that anyone spiritual enough should be able to astrally project

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Eeeeeh, I get the feeling she was just saying that to impress Kai seeing as Mr. Truthsayer was also shown astrally projecting, Unalaq was the first person in LoK shown to be able to do it. Yes spirituality is tied to it and because of how spiritual Airbenders tend to be they are kind of naturally apt but I think LoK is demonstrating that anyone spiritual enough should be able to astrally project

Being able to enter the spirit world and being able to astral project are not the same thing though. Anyone can enter the spirit world with enough meditative skill but the ability to astral project which Jinora (and it seems Zaheer, base on how he found Korra) use is an Airbending thing, or at least seems to be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 10, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Very disappointed that the new thread title isn't "Defeated in Cold Blood."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think Zaheer found Korra because Aiwei met him in the spirit world and told him she was at Zaofu.

Even Jinora mentioned that there was a limit to how far she could project her spirit, in the physical world.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ShadowCatboy posted:

You know, I wonder if Zaheer could've astrally projected himself while he was in prison. Would've made his stay less boring.

Yeah, for him to know about Xi Bao's grove and the mists of lost souls (and not just know about them, how to get there and move in the spirit world) he would have had to have been able to enter the spirit world before this. So the Red Lotus meeting there to coordinate would explain a lot, like how none of them broke - they were never truly isolated, they could always turn to the others for help. It's not like the guards would have interrupted, being in the spirit world essentially looks like sitting quietly, and they let Min Hua and P'll do that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I highly doubt any of the members other than Zaheer can enter the spirit world voluntarily.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Stumpus posted:

I don't know man. The fact that an overwhelming majority of stories throughout time build to a climax tends to disagree with you. Not to gloss over your point however, just because they could fall back on making bigger and bigger bads doesn't mean that is what would have happened.

What I'm saying is that this storyline should have come before season 2's. The series should have lead to the fight with Avatar's antithesis.
I've been disappointed by quite a few stories because they never really showed the aftermath or consequences of actions taken by the protagonist.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
AVClub can't stop bitching about Rollins' performance but I think it is perfect.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

BrianWilly posted:

I highly doubt any of the members other than Zaheer can enter the spirit world voluntarily.

Gotta beliiiiiieve.

Also I feel good that the whole airbending out of the lungs thing theory I had ended up being true.. Rise up Airbender nation with your dark war time bending!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's a lethal technique for sure, but I get the impression there's a lot of ways for any kind of other bender to counter it, if they had to. It works on the queen 'cause she's just a helpless non-bending noncombatant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It'd be a funny scene if someone (like Varrick) combated it by plugging their nose and holding their breath.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It'd be a funny scene if someone (like Varrick) combated it by plugging their nose and holding their breath.
Is it a coincidence that they mentioned 40 minutes of breath-holding as part of his nightly exercise regimen?

Yeah, it most likely is. No way are they going to play something like that for laughs.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
How does one become a monarch of an empire without being a bender? Re earth queen and previous Earth king

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Benders can have non-bending kids (ie. Bumi). It seems that at some point the Earth Kingdom dynasty had no eligible bender successors (if bending was ever a formal requirement to begin with)

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Oh well it's ended now, will be interesting in seeing if they form a new monarchy or maybe do the republic city route with a president.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

It's a lethal technique for sure, but I get the impression there's a lot of ways for any kind of other bender to counter it, if they had to. It works on the queen 'cause she's just a helpless non-bending noncombatant.

For any other bending style to put an end to someone, it wouldn't take more than a few seconds. For airbending, Zaheer could give a decent monologue in the length of time it took to take out the Earth Queen. I doubt it's a technique that could be done quickly or in a high pressure situation with lots of things going on. It's more like an assassination technique.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

For any other bending style to put an end to someone, it wouldn't take more than a few seconds. For airbending, Zaheer could give a decent monologue in the length of time it took to take out the Earth Queen. I doubt it's a technique that could be done quickly or in a high pressure situation with lots of things going on. It's more like an assassination technique.

I think we've seen airbenders using anime-style 'razor wind' on inanimate objects before. So this wasn't even the fastest and most efficient way to kill someone with air.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rexides posted:

Benders can have non-bending kids (ie. Bumi). It seems that at some point the Earth Kingdom dynasty had no eligible bender successors (if bending was ever a formal requirement to begin with)
I have a pet theory that the reason the Fire Nation accepted Zuko usurping his father is that by tradition only a firebender is allowed to be Fire Lord, so when Aang stripped Ozai of his power, Aang also stripped him of his right to rule.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know, I have a feeling Gyatso used some form of vacuum creation against the comet-enhanced Firebenders during the Air Nation invasion...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ETB posted:

I don't know, I have a feeling Gyatso used some form of vacuum creation against the comet-enhanced Firebenders during the Air Nation invasion...

This has been the fan theory since Day One.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dang, despite Zaheer's motivations I didn't expect him to off the Earth Queen, especially in such a brutal way. That was right up there with bloodbending in terms of evil as hell looking bending, the only thing I could see topping it would be forcing a person's blood out of their body or forcibly dehydrating them via water bending.

I'm looking forward to seeing him try it on Korra, only to be whupped by her popping into one of her rare "season finale only" avatar states.

For all the Nickelodeon hate myself and the thread has had, I have to give them props for not batting an eye at all-but-showing a graphic death. This was miles above "boat exploding in the distance," "disappearing from a spirit ritual," and "thrown against the rocks in an active volcano" for me in terms of grittiness. Obviously they're never going to show a death up close and personal, or acknowledge it with words like "kill" and "died," but it's refreshing to see the closest thing to american anime show at least some of the material that has made me such an anime fan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Babygravy posted:

Oh well it's ended now, will be interesting in seeing if they form a new monarchy or maybe do the republic city route with a president.

Well if they follow real history it's a big civil war and then :china: next.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That can't happen if there is no substantial political movement to replace the old style of government. The Red Lotus are just four people. There will be some chaos, but eventually the disorganized rabble will be crushed, and the queen will be succeeded by the next-in-line.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

That can't happen if there is no substantial political movement to replace the old style of government. The Red Lotus are just four people. There will be some chaos, but eventually the disorganized rabble will be crushed, and the queen will be succeeded by the next-in-line.

The Red Lotus isn't just four people as we've seen from Aiwei. The four we've seen are probably either at the top or in very high standing of the secret organization.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

It's more like an assassination technique.
It's more of an execution technique for me. It's the magical version of strangling someone to death.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's a bloodless method of execution that leaves a nice, intact body for the people to bury.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

It's a bloodless method of execution that leaves a nice, intact body for the people to bury.

Fun fact: In ancient China it was generally considered more desirable in executions to be strangled to death rather than beheaded. Though it's a slower, more agonizing way to die, strangulation left the body intact and preserved its sanctity for burial. :eng101:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Fun fact: In ancient China it was generally considered more desirable in executions to be strangled to death rather than beheaded. Though it's a slower, more agonizing way to die, strangulation left the body intact and preserved its sanctity for burial. :eng101:
Zaheer did nothing wrong.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Babygravy posted:

:laffo: There's no way this will end well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In an astonishing upset, Varrick becomes President of the Earth Kingdom. Hilarity ensues.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

In an astonishing upset, Varrick becomes President of the Earth Kingdom. Hilarity ensues.

I'd watch this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What even is the ideal outcome for the Earth Kingdom at this point?

As much as I've been enjoying the heck out of this season, I can't deny that we're at this scary Book 1 place where they've set up a lot of threads so well that the potential of loving it all up with half-assed resolutions is also really high.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

As much as I've been enjoying the heck out of this season, I can't deny that we're at this scary Book 1 place where they've set up a lot of threads so well that the potential of loving it all up with half-assed resolutions is also really high.

Ideal for story purposes? Ba Sing Se descends into a literal class war, expanding on the abandoned themes of the non-bender revolution in season 1.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I kind of am expecting this to carry on into next season with Korra and co either losing hard or getting into a stalemate (maybe some of the team being pretty banged up or the majority of Ba Sing Se citizens standing with the Red Lotus?) and having to leave the city. Could be an interesting mirror of Aang having to flee at the end of his second book. This is the first season of Korra where they 100% sure they were getting more after while writing it right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

thebardyspoon posted:

I kind of am expecting this to carry on into next season with Korra and co either losing hard or getting into a stalemate (maybe some of the team being pretty banged up or the majority of Ba Sing Se citizens standing with the Red Lotus?) and having to leave the city. Could be an interesting mirror of Aang having to flee at the end of his second book. This is the first season of Korra where they 100% sure they were getting more after while writing it right?

Honestly, I'm thinking it may end up being more of a foil to Aang's journey: Instead of losing badly, Korra manages to ultimately claim victory in retaking Ba Sing Se, though probably in a highly-Pyrrhic manner, and still having to deal with all of the rest of the Red Lotus (including any sleeper agents).

...Insane speculation: President Raiko will be revealed to be one such agent.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

Book 1 had a few problems even before the finale that Book 3 is free of, mainly the love triangle, and the fact that we had never seen any real example of systematic oppression of non-benders. Book 3 is in a much better position going into its endgame than Book 1.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Legend of Korra Book 3: gently caress the Ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Book 1 had a few problems even before the finale that Book 3 is free of, mainly the love triangle, and the fact that we had never seen any real example of systematic oppression of non-benders. Book 3 is in a much better position going into its endgame than Book 1.
Wasn't there an entire episode where Tarrlok systematically oppressed non-benders? The Equalist perspective clearly deserved more attention in general, but I honestly had no problems with any of Book 1's narrative setup until at least the ninth or tenth episode.

• Locked thread