Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Now that I've finally moved my bigass empire away from gavelkind, I can start putting together a demesne that can be passed on to successors. What's the strategy for building a good demesne? Does it matter if my capital county is within one of my two duchies? Should I own all the counties within those two duchies, or cherry pick the richest counties from around the empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I reloaded and my son is back on the list all is good. Also drat you Dr.Sunshine drat you.

But my loving wife had another set of twins! :argh: I have 6 loving pairs of twins. I checked my Dynasty list and I have more members then the Karlings. It's an old Gods start and Haldar Is my first Character how is this possible? There are 12 factions that are X for Scandinavian. And Apparently there is more then one Black Viking in Goa because a second one is raising an adventure army to push his Claim. The Kings of Norway, Finland and Germany have all married some kind of relative, but when one of my brats came of age I realized there are no eligible women left that aren't related. My family has already married them. Also who the hell is Ika, why does she call me Great Grandpa and why is the Pope asking for a random, we haven't been at war for 2 decades now.

On other Family matters I've only had ten members die. 3 children at young ages. 1 of my daughters died while having sex that got too passionate, 2 more in wars. But my 3 eldest sons all died in personal duels. To he same son :argh: my fifth son, and he won't stop challenging me now. I think he is trying to off me seeing as he has been waiting 60 some years for me to die. Well it won't get you the crown Bejorn Haldarson, You will stay Jarl of Finland and like it!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

There comes a point when there's too much immersion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Parallax Scroll posted:

Now that I've finally moved my bigass empire away from gavelkind, I can start putting together a demesne that can be passed on to successors. What's the strategy for building a good demesne? Does it matter if my capital county is within one of my two duchies? Should I own all the counties within those two duchies, or cherry pick the richest counties from around the empire?

Generally you want to concentrate on a small number of counties where you hold as many castles as possible (as well as cities if you're Republican or Temples if you're Muslim - Muslim Republics can hold all three holdings without penalties) so that you can gain the maximum bonus from your Marshal's and Steward's +Levies and +Taxes respectively. I'd expect for relations reasons you'd want your capital county to be within a duchy you own, otherwise anyone who holds your capital's duchy will have -25 "Desires the County of Wherever" because they want their de jure borders.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Generally you want to concentrate on a small number of counties where you hold as many castles as possible (as well as cities if you're Republican or Temples if you're Muslim - Muslim Republics can hold all three holdings without penalties) so that you can gain the maximum bonus from your Marshal's and Steward's +Levies and +Taxes respectively. I'd expect for relations reasons you'd want your capital county to be within a duchy you own, otherwise anyone who holds your capital's duchy will have -25 "Desires the County of Wherever" because they want their de jure borders.

How do the marshal and steward bonuses work? Owning more castles affects that?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Their bonuses affect every holding you own within whatever county you place them in, so you ideally want as many right-type holdings in your capital as you can get, yes

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

They apply to a county, so if you have two or more holdings in that County, the councillor bonus applies to all of them instead of just one. Makes a big difference and let's you raise some huge levies with well developed castles. Kiev in my current game can raise ten thousand guys on its own.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know. 75 years later the rest of France fell to the Muslihiddin Caliphate (the Umayyads fell about a hundred years ago) which stretches from Mauritania to the Seine. The Pope's primary title is King-Bishop of France so the Papacy is a one-province minor called France centered on Rome.

Also Byzantium is Catholic. There is one Orthodox duchy left in the world.

It's run by a 27-year-old 0/15/12/18 Serbian.

In the Duchy of Bosnia.

In the de jure Kingdom of Croatia.

I might need to watch the AI tear my empire apart and switch over to this guy.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
We've been working hard on the mod, fixing bugs, adding more characters, and adding more flavor. Rust Cultists now have unique titles, based on capitalism for feudal rulers, factories and unions for republics, and railroads for temples. Because I'm not a big fan of "Prince-Bishop", religious rulers are now Canon/Canoness, Metropolitan, Exarch, and Primarch.

Titular Empires are in for every culture (except Caribbean and Southern, which already have empires) and are creatable by anyone who has that culture and 100+ holdings.

We need coats of arms for the new empires. Most good nation/state/city/diocese flags are already in use. I'd be very grateful if someone could find or create flags for:
- Delawarean (Delaware/Baltimore/Philly)
- Lacustrine (Michigan/Ontario)
- Yooper
- Dellsman (Wisconsin)
- Dominican

Sam. fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sam. posted:

- Chicagoan

Maybe the University of Chicago seal?

or

Lose the book and it basically matches the simplified seals used for eagle flag empires in CK2. A phoenix seems appropriate given the Great Chicago Fire/post-apocalypse, too.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Goddammit, Karlings

Now it's time for me to get beat up by Seljuk.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I hope there is a titular Queen of Welfare.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Chevalier Cat posted:

Maybe the University of Chicago seal?

or

Lose the book and it basically matches the simplified seals used for eagle flag empires in CK2. A phoenix seems appropriate given the Great Chicago Fire/post-apocalypse, too.

That's really good. Thank you very much.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
That America mod looks so good.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Haitian coat of arms for a brief period in the 19th century:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

It would be really nice to have someone around to help with adding new provinces and so forth. :shobon:

:frogon:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Another day another fix.

Sonendar 1.06.2

I hope this fixes a bunch of stuff!!

It would be really nice to have someone around to help with adding new provinces and so forth. :shobon:

I was playing around with the Zakrum-Marza over on the western continent and they have some weird issues going on with stuff switching over to Agnatic (although it doesn't look like it's constantly switching to Gavalkind anymore so there's that,) as well as husbands asking you for land which I don't think is intended.

Edit: looks like it's switching over to Agnatic on inheritence for whatever reason.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 10, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Sam. posted:

We've been working hard on the mod, fixing bugs, adding more characters, and adding more flavor. Rust Cultists now have unique titles, based on capitalism for feudal rulers, factories and unions for republics, and railroads for temples. Because I'm not a big fan of "Prince-Bishop", religious rulers are now Canon/Canoness, Metropolitan, Exarch, and Primarch.

Titular Empires are in for every culture (except Caribbean and Southern, which already have empires) and are creatable by anyone who has that culture and 100+ holdings.

We need coats of arms for the new empires. Most good nation/state/city/diocese flags are already in use. I'd be very grateful if someone could find or create flags for:
- Gothamite (NYC/NJ/CT)
- Hudsonian (upstate NY)
- Delawarean (Delaware/Baltimore/Philly)
- Lacustrine (Michigan/Toronto)
- Maritimer
- Pennsylvania Dutch
- Chicagoan
- Yooper
- Dellsman (Wisconsin)
- Riverlander (Missouri, lower Illinois, Kentucky, western Tennessee)
- Appalachian
- Gulfard (Florida/southern Mississippi)
- Dominican
- Puerto Rican
- Haitian

Here's one I made for the Gothamites...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ah drat, Glorious Serbia falls to the Byzantines within a decade and there's nothing I can do. Oh well, seeing that it somehow became Elective succession I joined the Empire and now my plan is to fifth column my way into making it Orthodox again. I haven't played much Byzantium. I just won a revolt to bring it down to medium authority so no wars on other vassals until I can knock it down again. I've got 6 daughters so I guess it's time to get all stabby stabby.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 10, 2014

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Welp, I made the terrible mistake of getting Ireland involved in a Holy War in Finland. loving Pagans have 2k+ siege defenders in provinces that can only feed like 700 soldiers, and on top of that my ally the King of Sweden has been getting his rear end kicked in combat when he's had like 2x size advantages.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

reignonyourparade posted:

I was playing around with the Zakrum-Marza over on the western continent and they have some weird issues going on with stuff switching over to Agnatic (although it doesn't look like it's constantly switching to Gavalkind anymore so there's that,) as well as husbands asking you for land which I don't think is intended.

Edit: looks like it's switching over to Agnatic on inheritence for whatever reason.

:catstare: Well, I know what to start looking at for the next update, then.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ugh, I had a great heir with Genius + Strong going. 15+ in all attributes and 25 martial.

He hits 14 years old - Bam, Homosexual trait. Ah well, that's not too bad, I can work around that -15% fertility modifier.
Forward two years - he hits 16 years old, immediately gets chaste, then two months later gets great Pox. He's now sitting at 5% fertility.

Paradoooooooox! :argh:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So what exactly determines whether or not a duchy will drift into another de jure kingdom? I thought you had to own every single holding belonging to that duchy, the duchy title itself and not hold the kingdom it is currently part of. But there must be something else, as I successfully assimilated Provence into Italy, but Carinthia isn't assimilating at all, and neither are any of the island duchies I have taken (Mallorca, Crete, and Cyprus). I know there is a special exception for the kingdom of Jerusalem, was that extended to others as well? Or is it because I hold multiple kingdoms / an empire?

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
650 pages. I'm going to read that, so I'll just ask, do we have multiplayer campaigns at all? It'd be pretty awesome to ride a monster truck straight trough history right into WWII+n and start nuking each other. HOI5 would be just about ready by the time we'd be finished with EU4 and Victoria 3.

Re-establishing the Roman empire as the house von Heisenberg was fun and all but now it's starting to get a bit tedious.

Well I say that, there's going to be a massive civil war or two in the next few years that I am NOT looking forward to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh boy, I finally played a single game long enough to see the warnings for the Aztecs showing up. I wonder if I can manage to beat them with a 17.5k retuine, a 40k vassal levy, a 20k personal levy, and all 5 holy orders (4 of which are vassals) that exist at this point in the game. Maybe I can marry a girl or two off to the HRE in time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh boy, I finally played a single game long enough to see the warnings for the Aztecs showing up. I wonder if I can manage to beat them with a 17.5k retuine, a 40k vassal levy, a 20k personal levy, and all 5 holy orders (4 of which are vassals) that exist at this point in the game.

Probably not. I mean they are like Mongols on steroids and you aren't meant to beat them in a straight fight, but by all means throw everything you have at their bullshit stacks and grind them down so you can eventually take back what is yours.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Probably not. I mean they are like Mongols on steroids and you aren't meant to beat them in a straight fight, but by all means throw everything you have at their bullshit stacks and grind them down so you can eventually take back what is yours.

:negative:

Oh well. I suppose that in worst-case scenario, I'll still have roughly half a century to take back my holdings before the game ends. Maybe I should pull the Roman technique and just move the capital over to somewhere in Norway.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It might be possible, since unlike the Mongols, the Aztec armies consist mostly of light infantry and archers. With some opportunistic use of defensive bonuses, and some acceptable losses here and there, he could edge out a victory with that.

The aztec armies sometimes split up to siege multiple holdings at the same time, if he manages to get one of the edge stacks to attack his army, he could grind them down like that. Remember that their event troops do not resupply.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

It might be possible, since unlike the Mongols, the Aztec armies consist mostly of light infantry and archers. With some opportunistic use of defensive bonuses, and some acceptable losses here and there, he could edge out a victory with that.

The aztec armies sometimes split up to siege multiple holdings at the same time, if he manages to get one of the edge stacks to attack his army, he could grind them down like that. Remember that their event troops do not resupply.

Yeah maybe, but he has like 50k troops to work with which probably isn't enough to mobilise in time to prevent warscore from going past 100% from sieging. And then on top of that he still has to win.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Man I made a merchant republic in the Galician duchy, but I only gave the dude 1 county. Now he hates me because I didn't give him the second county in the duchy, but I can't do it because of the 10 percent limit. He's going to have like a permanent -50 from that and the wrong government type until I can double my realm to give him that one county.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Man I made a merchant republic in the Galician duchy, but I only gave the dude 1 county. Now he hates me because I didn't give him the second county in the duchy, but I can't do it because of the 10 percent limit. He's going to have like a permanent -50 from that and the wrong government type until I can double my realm to give him that one county.

you can give that other county to a vassal of yours and then transfer vassalage

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress the Aztecs are a nightmare. I have no clue how I am going to handle this well, especially considering the whole Iberian peninsula decided now was a great time for smallpox. Apparently the Aztecs don't get attrition.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Press "~", then type in "charinfo". Hover your cursor over that guy's portrait and then take note of his id. Then type in "give_title c_thecountyname his-id-mumber"

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I don't know of if this is the pro strategy for this but I typically just find a random courtier to give the second county to and then transfer vassalage to the republic.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Entropia posted:

650 pages. I'm going to read that, so I'll just ask, do we have multiplayer campaigns at all? It'd be pretty awesome to ride a monster truck straight trough history right into WWII+n and start nuking each other. HOI5 would be just about ready by the time we'd be finished with EU4 and Victoria 3.

Re-establishing the Roman empire as the house von Heisenberg was fun and all but now it's starting to get a bit tedious.

Well I say that, there's going to be a massive civil war or two in the next few years that I am NOT looking forward to.

You need to get rid of your King vassals and breed for vassal opinion then.
When you have an Empire that large, you can either micromanage kings, and have to work hard to make sure you have kings holding large areas, or you can make sure all your Emperors are likeable, by being on Elective, selecting only Born in the Purple as heirs, and educate all your heirs for maximal diplomacy and all the nice trait like Just.

If you want to try something weird, conquer enough Indian provinces to change your capital to a Jain one, so you can convert.
Unless your vassals are zealous, you'll still come out with a net positive opinion from being Jain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I got a big enough faction to revolt for Byzantine lower crown authority, declared my revolution, and got an event saying people have flocked to my banner and giving me an extra 20k stack to go with my 17k revolter vassal army. I guess they really don't like the Basilissa :stare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, I had a great heir with Genius + Strong going. 15+ in all attributes and 25 martial.

He hits 14 years old - Bam, Homosexual trait. Ah well, that's not too bad, I can work around that -15% fertility modifier.
Forward two years - he hits 16 years old, immediately gets chaste, then two months later gets great Pox. He's now sitting at 5% fertility.

Paradoooooooox! :argh:

After a couple hundred hours of gameplay I'm about 93% sure the game is rigged to constantly cull geniuses from the world (probably because the designers knew full well players would do everything possible to set up eugenics programs). They pick up Chaste far more often than normals, and they get sick and die more often than normals even when there's nothing wrong with their natural Health score. I assume there must be some kind of soft cap on how many geniuses are allowed in one holding/court/dynasty before incurring hidden penalties to health and/or increased chance of picking up undesirable traits. And the game doesn't say there's a Fertility penalty to the Genius trait, but it sure does seem like their natural Fertility score trends low (I've noticed this for Attractive as well).

I guess it could just be a bad run of luck, but the more I play the more dubious that possibility looks.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 10, 2014

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edison was a dick posted:

You need to get rid of your King vassals and breed for vassal opinion then.
When you have an Empire that large, you can either micromanage kings, and have to work hard to make sure you have kings holding large areas, or you can make sure all your Emperors are likeable, by being on Elective, selecting only Born in the Purple as heirs, and educate all your heirs for maximal diplomacy and all the nice trait like Just.

If you want to try something weird, conquer enough Indian provinces to change your capital to a Jain one, so you can convert.
Unless your vassals are zealous, you'll still come out with a net positive opinion from being Jain.

Yeah I was planning on that, but then the inevitable happened.

Immidietly after gaining the throne as a 22-year-old, Sigismund, the grandson of Constantine the Glorious, the restorer of Imperium Romanum, and the son of Isaakios the Great, who reclaimed Iberia and Marocco and pushed the borders of Rome beyond the river Tiber, was confronted with an Empire that hated his guts for one reason or another. Harsh taxation to everyone might've had something to do with it. Also some idiots wanted his genius brother on the throne.

Well, it all ended well enough. Having 38 thousand heavy cavalry and horse archers as a retinue probably helped a lot. And now the prisons are full of Despots and I can start chopping some kingdoms apart. The -50 to de jure vassal opinion is going to be a bitch I suppose but oh well. Just gotta confiscate every singly duchy as well.

Damascus somehow gained independence afterwards. Idk, man. At least the heir is my vassal and dynasty member. Just gotta remember not to chop his head off before he can inherit.

I have myself to blame for this eventual outcome I guess. Having kings as vassals was an easy way to get 10k troops in a single province border when Phokas, Constantine and Isaakios were fighting their wars of reconquest.

Though I have to admit that them breeding like rabbits might have created some problems too...

412 living members, eh. Well, the pope and every single cardinal have been a von Heisenbergs for as long as anyone can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Entropia posted:

Though I have to admit that them breeding like rabbits might have created some problems too...

412 living members, eh. Well, the pope and every single cardinal have been a von Heisenbergs for as long as anyone can remember.

412 living Heisenbergs? Christ, how do you know where they all are and what they're doing at any given time?

• Locked thread