Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mahoning posted:

Yeah it pretty much looks like Tony Stewart is following the line of the 45 car, which narrowly avoids hitting the young driver. In the video even, the kid disappears behind the 45 car for a second or two. It's not inconceivable that Tony Stewart didn't see the kid in the dark racing suit until he was very close to him and then gunned the engine to avoid hitting him. It was really his only option if he already thought he was going to hit him, since turning the wheel while not in the throttle does nothing in these sprint cars on a dirt track.

Or maybe he really did do something stupid like try to scare/clip the kid. I don't know. But the first scenario I just described is a hell of a lot more likely. The kid didn't deserve to die or even be hurt at all, but getting out of your race car and walking around on the track while other cars are still running is like Russian Roulette. With how dumb and childish race car drivers act I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened to be honest. Maybe NASCAR will start suspending drivers that do this poo poo and basically condone this sort of childish display.

Anyways, I hope Tony loses every dime he has in the civil case, but he's not a murderer.

Well if your first paragraph is what happened, he shouldn't even lose a dime.

The whole incident happened because Stewart unsuccessfully went for a slide job, never touching the kid, and the kid never let off and stuffed himself in the wall. Not only was it originally a racing accident, but in terms of sprints specifically, the kid was more at fault for getting in the wall than Stewart is.

I mean, I'm not one to victim blame here but as a sprint car fan my whole life the kid seems at fault to me all the way around for the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Though, in full disclosure I've been a Stewart fan for over 20 years, since he was just starting out in midgets.

To balance that out, I'll post this reminder that Stewart might be a loving lunatic, I dunno.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Congratulations to Tony Stewart, this will be the biggest sports story of the century to date.

Bigger than Earnhardt, bigger than Sandusky, bigger than The Decision, bigger than any Olympic or World Cup scandal, bigger than anything the NFL happens to poo poo out.

Congrats, Tony. You did it. You are responsible for a death that will be played on the Internet hundreds of thousands of times.

Wow.

Yeah this bigger than OJ!

Lol they likely won't even charge him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Well if your first paragraph is what happened, he shouldn't even lose a dime.

The whole incident happened because Stewart unsuccessfully went for a slide job, never touching the kid, and the kid never let off and stuffed himself in the wall. Not only was it originally a racing accident, but in terms of sprints specifically, the kid was more at fault for getting in the wall than Stewart is.

I mean, I'm not one to victim blame here but as a sprint car fan my whole life the kid seems at fault to me all the way around for the whole thing.

The burden of proof in a civil trial is a hell of a lot different than in a criminal trial. It's "based on the preponderance of evidence" instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt".

All they would need to prove in a civil trial is that Tony Stewart recklessly tried to scare the kid and killed him. If 50.1% of the evidence supports that, Tony would lose.

No, I'm not a lawyer. Yes, I might be talking out of my rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know you can't base a judgement off it, but shouldn't Tony be complicit in the glamorization of doing this kind of poo poo in the first place?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
AP: tony not racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mahoning posted:

The burden of proof in a civil trial is a hell of a lot different than in a criminal trial. It's "based on the preponderance of evidence" instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt".

All they would need to prove in a civil trial is that Tony Stewart recklessly tried to scare the kid and killed him. If 50.1% of the evidence supports that, Tony would lose.

No, I'm not a lawyer. Yes, I might be talking out of my rear end.

The far more likely outcome here is that before a civil trial even happens Smoke will do everything in his power to provide whatever the family needs.

He's an rear end, but he's also one of the most charitable figures in American professional sports.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
They changed their minds: https://twitter.com/breakingnews/status/498475588680962048

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
:stare: what the gently caress?

Ria Erif
Jun 4, 2013
I'm glad he's not racing today. I think it's a smart decision to take some time away from the track.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

Yeah this bigger than OJ!

Lol they likely won't even charge him.
I don't think this will be a huge story forever, but OJ was last century.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
That's a good decision that the team made but the mere fact that the co-owner had to be talked out of this after he, intentionally or unintentionally, killed someone is fairly indicative of...something. Call it a lack of conscience or a general tone deafness, in my opinion something is off in that man's head that he saw nothing wrong with racing today and had no feelings of his own telling him not to. If it were me I wouldn't be able to.

Ria Erif
Jun 4, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

That's a good decision that the team made but the mere fact that the co-owner had to be talked out of this after he, intentionally or unintentionally, killed someone is fairly indicative of...something. Call it a lack of conscience or a general tone deafness, in my opinion something is off in that man's head that he saw nothing wrong with racing today and had no feelings of his own telling him not to. If it were me I wouldn't be able to.

Zipadelli said Stewart was the one who made the decision and the team just supported him. As for waiting until this morning to make that decision, I'm guessing he was in shock and not thinking clearly about much of anything. A few hours probably helped clear his head so he could make the decision he did to not drive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VH4Ever posted:

In his defense, in the outside chance that this was a freak accident and he had done literally nothing wrong, he probably would have been in a completely hosed state of mind following what happened. It's very believable that he'd make an irrational decision, wake up and realize that there are a million reasons to not get in the car.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rand McNally posted:

Um, do they have metal detectors at the gate there? Just curious.

They have bag checks at ISC tracks, of which the Glen is one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If Stewart wanted to drive that team couldn't stop him. I'd believe that he made the call if that's what's being reported.

This is a sport where drivers have died at the start of the race and the race was continued. If what happened last night was a terrible accident, then I dunno how him racing today would be an issue. Sometimes fatalities in racing make races end and drivers park, sometimes they don't. It's something oddly specific to auto racing that you won't find in any other sporting event.

Being involved in racing either as a fan or an active participant means that on some level you accept death as a part of it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

This is a sport where drivers have died at the start of the race and the race was continued. If what happened last night was a terrible accident, then I dunno how him racing today would be an issue. Sometimes fatalities in racing make races end and drivers park, sometimes they don't. It's something oddly specific to auto racing that you won't find in any other sporting event.

Even if he's as innocent as he could possibly be, with the way the media and public relations are right now it's in his and everyone else's best interest to not race half a day after killing a dude. To the public's eye it's out of respect to the dead guy or for his own mental health reasons, even if that's not true. It's the right move.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

Even if he's as innocent as he could possibly be, with the way the media and public relations are right now it's in his and everyone else's best interest to not race half a day after killing a dude. To the public's eye it's out of respect to the dead guy or for his own mental health reasons, even if that's not true. It's the right move.

Exactly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah it probably is, tbh

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He'll lose some cash in the civil suit, but not all that much. Just stick to the message that the other guy was doing something that he wasn't supposed to be doing, and so who could have predicted it.

His sponsors are going to chew him up, though. There's not much glory in associating your brand with a driver when people say "oh THAT guy" at the drop of his name.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't this the same guy who nearly killed a few people last year?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Maybe the NRA will sponsor him. They wrote the book on deflecting blame for people's deaths.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

he's the guy that broke his leg in a sprint last year, in sprints Jason Leffler, ex-NASCAR, died in one also

Kyle Larson put half his car in the stands at Daytona last year and wounded ~20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Craptacular! posted:

He'll lose some cash in the civil suit, but not all that much. Just stick to the message that the other guy was doing something that he wasn't supposed to be doing, and so who could have predicted it.

His sponsors are going to chew him up, though. There's not much glory in associating your brand with a driver when people say "oh THAT guy" at the drop of his name.

But there is no better brand recognition!

Ria Erif
Jun 4, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

He triggered something like a 15-car pileup at that same track last year and a 19-year-old female driver ended up with a compression fracture in her back.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
BUT GUNNING THE ENGINE IS THE ONLY WAY THESE CARS CAN TURN

*six cars coast past man on track, seventh guns the engine to turn*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALFbrot posted:

BUT GUNNING THE ENGINE IS THE ONLY WAY THESE CARS CAN TURN

*six cars coast past man on track, seventh guns the engine to turn*

*man runs towards one specific car*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Blitz7x posted:

Smokey and the Bandit 3

There was already a 3. :eng101:

Eifert Posting posted:

He broke his leg in a crash at the same track last year.

...because, if I remember right, didn't he spin to avoid t-boning another driver?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

...because, if I remember right, didn't he spin to avoid t-boning another driver?

....that he didn't see, at night, immediately after a yellow was thrown, 'cause it was in the middle of the track

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

....that he didn't see, at night, immediately after a yellow was thrown, 'cause it was in the middle of the track

But to be fair that car was coming straight for him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes that was a joke.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing to me that it sounds like it isn't being criminally investigated. Yeah, maybe this was all a natural result and there's nothing Stewart could have done to avoid hitting the kid. You know what would help to prove that?

A criminal investigation.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

*man runs towards one specific car*

*driver of said car guns throttle*

I refuse to believe that, at those speeds, gunning the throttle is the best way to turn. The car wasn't going very fast, but suddenly, the huge back tires were rotating very, very fast, because noted racing hothead Tony Stewart decided to be the one driver to push his foot down on the gas pedal.

edit: No, I don't think Tony meant to hit or kill the kid. I think, at worst, he was trying to scare him. At best, he couldn't avoid him. I think it's likely a lot closer to worst than best.

Ria Erif
Jun 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

There was already a 3. :eng101:

He broke his leg in a crash at the same track last year.

He wasn't at Canandaigua. He was at Southern Iowa when he broke his leg.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know poo poo about racing, but in any other instance I can think of where a human being unquestionably kills another human being on video there is generally a criminal investigation.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I for one am totally sure a guy who has in the past vowed to do everything in his power to kill another driver didn't intentionally try to kill another driver.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

It's amazing to me that it sounds like it isn't being criminally investigated. Yeah, maybe this was all a natural result and there's nothing Stewart could have done to avoid hitting the kid. You know what would help to prove that?

A criminal investigation.

It is being investigated, the DA has been assigned the investigation. But from what I can tell, it's just a routine death investigation

ALFbrot posted:

edit: No, I don't think Tony meant to hit or kill the kid. I think, at worst, he was trying to scare him. At best, he couldn't avoid him. I think it's likely a lot closer to worst than best.

Premeditation is only one type of murder. You can murder someone by being reckless with a high risk of death. I.e., gunning your car at someone to scare them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

I for one am totally sure a guy who has in the past vowed to do everything in his power to kill another driver didn't intentionally try to kill another driver.

I have vowed to kill another player in Munchkin.

Edit: loving kneepads of allure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Personally, I would think you would remember what part of the track you spun someone out on. Then you would think in the back of your mind "There is a car spun out there now, I'll be careful when I come around again. The best way to be careful is to gun the throttle right next to that car." Regardless of whether or not he saw the kid on the track, he knew the car was there because he put it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eifert Posting posted:

I have vowed to kill another player in Munchkin.

Edit: loving kneepads of allure.

Do you have a long and storied history of attacking other munchkin players?

• Locked thread