Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I prefer to imagine it as some sort of futuristic Box Lacrosse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised that the Federation isn't all about terrible nerd sports like the MIND STORM game in that one Sliders universe where Quinn was an athlete mathlete nerd.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trent posted:

I'm surprised that the Federation isn't all about terrible nerd sports like the MIND STORM game in that one Sliders universe where Quinn was an athlete mathlete nerd.

Strategema!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zesty Mordant posted:

I still maintain that Spiner is a better actor than he's often given credit for. His extremes of Data<--->Lore are evident, but the gradients between the two he plays with good subtlety. There's this nasal tone in his voice that he lets on for specific states of variation from Data's baseline (early Data notwithstanding, listen to Data's first lines and they sound like Lore speaking them. Very early on Data was almost goofily flippant at how he didn't understand humans, Spiner definitely does get better at playing Data after the first half a season, or so, as said).

This happened with Jeri Ryan too. I watched Voyager as it came out new (yes, I know :smith: ), and when she first joined the crew I noticed that in her first few episodes she emoted a lot more and allowed a lot more tone and cadence into her voice than later on, when she seemed to try to sound more robotic (I guess for the comic relief value, plus they really wanted a Data/Spock). It really pissed me off at the time, because I thought that the whole rest of the series would feature Seven gradually becoming more and more human, like every episode she'd have fewer visible Borg parts and start wearing normal uniforms and speak more and more human-like. But costume-wise she stayed exactly the same, and voice-delivery-wise she did the exact opposite.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Worf killed a fellow student in a very unfortunate game of Freeze Tag.

"TAG! You're it!" said Worf, laughing. Suddenly his laughter turned to horror as he looked down at his hand, which now contained Timmy's still beating heart.

One thing that I've always found amusing since they need the main characters to fight the Klingons is how much their speed & strength is all bullshit. Any reasonably trained Federation guy can kick their rear end in a straight fist fight. It never seemed quite fitting to me, but I guess it does stay in line with the original ones.

Way sillier with the Jem'Hadar though. Their response to getting punched with bare hands should have been kind of like the Terminator getting his glasses broken. As supersoldiers, they are terrible.

ED: I almost wish instead of giant imposing honor bound guys they went with scrawny-but-suited-to-space types; far smaller than the humans but it'd make their "can be cloned en mass as their strength" thing work. Plus it'd been neat seeing a warrior race that wasn't much about physical strength but made up for it with ultra tech which honestly is far, far more important in the future anyway. I'd give them way more a "Cockroach army" feel for guys that spawn and are active in two weeks and don't generally live more than a few years. Having them look almost like humans with terminal illnesses would be kind of terrifying in it's own way, too.

And of course the point of this tangent, I could buy those guys getting, say, offed 2:1 by Quark or punched out by Sisko.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 10, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blazing Ownager posted:

Way sillier with the Jem'Hadar though. Their response to getting punched with bare hands should have been kind of like the Terminator getting his glasses broken. As supersoldiers, they are terrible.

Part of me wonders if, after spending a lot of time really puffing out the Dominion, there was a point at which someone had to point out "...you guys do realize that the end of the show can't be the Federation getting overrun and brutally conquered, right?"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Part of me wonders if, after spending a lot of time really puffing out the Dominion, there was a point at which someone had to point out "...you guys do realize that the end of the show can't be the Federation getting overrun and brutally conquered, right?"

I bet that point was the "They can bypass our shields." That had to magically disappear or there was no way in hell they could have explained a win.

And I wasn't suggesting the Jem'Hadar be immune to phaser fire. I just mean when a few show up on the bridge and start getting beat in a fair fight, that's pretty bad for a genetically engineered super soldier. Or when Starfleet manages to hold them off in a strictly hand to hand fight. One even gets taken out by a Ferengi with a knife.

Just saying they'd been played way better as purely expendable clones that come off as lacking practical experience to go with their knowledge than Klone-ons.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 10, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's just so many enemies in Star Trek where the situation is "They have defeated all our defenses and our weapons are useless against them." So now what? Like when they fight the borg. They rotate the phaser frequencies until the borg adapt. Now what? That means the borg wins. When your defenses are worthless and your weapons are worthless, you don't get to just win because you're the main character. "Our weapons can't defeat the Jem Hedar. Oh wait, we have the defiant now and it has super phasers that blows up jem hedar instantly." Fights in Star Trek are often really lame even if they are pretty cool looking. Fighting the normal races was always more interesting because they were somewhat evenly matched. Fighting a truly superior race and magically winning is dumb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

There's just so many enemies in Star Trek where the situation is "They have defeated all our defenses and our weapons are useless against them." So now what? Like when they fight the borg. They rotate the phaser frequencies until the borg adapt. Now what? That means the borg wins. When your defenses are worthless and your weapons are worthless, you don't get to just win because you're the main character. "Our weapons can't defeat the Jem Hedar. Oh wait, we have the defiant now and it has super phasers that blows up jem hedar instantly." Fights in Star Trek are often really lame even if they are pretty cool looking. Fighting the normal races was always more interesting because they were somewhat evenly matched. Fighting a truly superior race and magically winning is dumb.
Didn't some Vorta say "For all their flaws, the one thing I've learned is to never bet against the Federation in an engineering contest"?

Anyway the JH seem pretty tough and also have incredibly simplified logistics in case you need to leave a garrison somewhere for a while. I'd say that's pretty super. There don't seem to be a lot of on-screen generically superhuman races; the Klingons were more resilient to damage, mostly, and so were Vulcans I guess, but nobody seems to just be the unstoppable overman. And having an army of unstoppable overmen probably raises some rebellion issues the Founders might not want to see in their custom-ordered solids.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoy Trek for the pew pew and some of the storylines and characters.

Read scifi (and hunt down specific movies, etc) if you really wanna sperg out. Conflating the two, I think, demonstrates a naivety about the genre.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you think is Star Trek is nothing but pew pew and not some really good scifi, you haven't been paying attention.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It is some great scifi. I just think when you get up real close and try to examine some of the details under a microscope the fact it's an American TV series designed to get and keep ratings becomes increasingly apparent. I'm not saying anything groundbreaking here.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember hearing that near the end of DS9 Robert Hewitt Wolfe did pitch a new Star Trek series that was basically Andromeda in the Star Trek universe, but Rick Berman wasn't having it so he went off and did Andromeda proper. I always assumed that if they had done that they would have ended DS9 by having the Dominion win, then have the next series pick up as rebuilding the Federation after the Alpha Quadrant had been under Dominion rule. I thought that would have been a really cool alternate timeline two-parter or something like that, but would have been too dark to take Star Trek in that direction permanently. It would have kind of screwed over Voyager being able to get a happy ending too.

Blazing Ownager posted:

And I wasn't suggesting the Jem'Hadar be immune to phaser fire. I just mean when a few show up on the bridge and start getting beat in a fair fight, that's pretty bad for a genetically engineered super soldier. Or when Starfleet manages to hold them off in a strictly hand to hand fight. One even gets taken out by a Ferengi with a knife.
Ahem, as was just mentioned, the Federation has accesses to the ultimate evolution in martial arts. Greater physical strength is no match for that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Also ending DS9 with "LOL the dominion kicks everyone's rear end!" would have been kinda lovely. It would have made the entire show nothing but setup for a different series and turned it into a giant shaggy dog story.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I don't think "what if the dominion won" would be a very interesting premise for a Trek series. Ultimately Trek is about exploring strange new worlds, going where no man has gone before, ect. The DS9 Dominion war plot was an interesting diversion from that, but it had to actually end at some point with the Federation going back to doing what it wants to do. There are certainly series which could do that sort of plotline well, but I don't think Trek is really it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Didn't some Vorta say "For all their flaws, the one thing I've learned is to never bet against the Federation in an engineering contest"?

Actually if I remember, that line (more or less) was Dukat, telling Weyoun to stop underestimating them.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Knormal posted:

It would have kind of screwed over Voyager being able to get a happy ending too.

Personally I would've loved it if Voyager had ended with the ship finally making it back to the Alpha quandrant after everything its been through, with the crew breathing a collective sigh of relief as triumphant music swells . . . and then a random Jem'Hadar fighter trundles by and blows it away in one pass.

*smash cut to credits*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cue yackety sax.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Voyager Rewatch: Season 2, episode 7 "Parturition"

I mistakenly thought this episode was the same as the episode of DS9 where Odo and Quark have to reinack the Tony Hopkins/Alec Baldwin movie The Edge. It turns out that instead they have to save the baby from the series "Dinosaurs". This episode isn't badly done or offensive, it's just also not good and shouldn't exist. The best part of this episode is at the very end the Tom and Neelix are back from their adventures and Neelix basically forgets about Kes because he's so into his new bromance. This episode blows. There's no B plot. An episode doesn't need more than one plot to be good, but if its plot isn't great, it better have a secondary plot that's entertaining.

Also the science of this episode makes no sense...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually if I remember, that line (more or less) was Dukat, telling Weyoun to stop underestimating them.

Yeah. There's another line later on where a Vorta refers to 'those Federation engineers that can turn rocks into replicators' or something like that, too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Federation engineers are portrayed as being really, really, ridiculously good at their jobs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Voyager Rewatch:

the science of this episode makes no sense...

lol

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vagabundo posted:

The Federation engineers are portrayed as being really, really, ridiculously good at their jobs.

Especially when they have help. We should recall that the episode where Weyoun freaks out about Federation shields actually working was Season Five, Episode 26 "Call to Arms". Back in Season Five, Episode Two "The Ship", Sisko and company manage to acquire a Dominion Fighter intact. (This is the same ship that they would later use to infiltrate Dominion space in Season Six.)

It's a lot easier to figure out how to adjust your shields and stop a gun when you've got a copy of said gun to take apart and figure out how it works.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Well the Enterprise D just flew around helping Fed or equiv-tech civs by solving problems in a few hours that their entire planet hasn't been able to overcome with all of their pooled resources for years. Data and Geordi must have thought all those planets were super dumb.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Well the Enterprise DEvery single Star Trek they just flew around helping Fed or equiv-tech civs by solving problems in a few hours that their entire planet hasn't been able to overcome with all of their pooled resources for years. Data and Geordi must have thought all those planets were super dumb.

This teaches you that the only barrier to problem solving is how hard you try, or how much you want it. This is known as the Dragon Ball Z Effect.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vagabundo posted:

I hear they can turn a rock into a replicator.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This teaches you that the only barrier to problem solving is how hard you try, or how much you want it. This is known as the Dragon Ball Z Effect.

Which one is Goku, Geordi or Data?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's called Hot-Blooded; for more information, please watch King of Braves: GaoGaiGar, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

There's just so many enemies in Star Trek where the situation is "They have defeated all our defenses and our weapons are useless against them." So now what? Like when they fight the borg. They rotate the phaser frequencies until the borg adapt. Now what? That means the borg wins.

That's why the Only Good Borg Episode The Doesn't Devalue The Threat is Q-Who, where the "victory" is admitting to Q that you're about to get slaughtered and he steals you away with only a few dozen deaths.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Well the Enterprise D just flew around helping Fed or equiv-tech civs by solving problems in a few hours that their entire planet hasn't been able to overcome with all of their pooled resources for years. Data and Geordi must have thought all those planets were super dumb.

There really needs to be a Star Trek version of Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope that the planet that kills its people when they turn 60 gets destroyed. What a bunch of fuckers. And I hope the last thought their leaders have is "Oh poo poo, if we didn't kill our greatest scientist when he turned 60 because of some stupid tradition we would not all be dieing a horrible, and preventible death!".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Knormal posted:

I remember hearing that near the end of DS9 Robert Hewitt Wolfe did pitch a new Star Trek series that was basically Andromeda in the Star Trek universe, but Rick Berman wasn't having it so he went off and did Andromeda proper. I always assumed that if they had done that they would have ended DS9 by having the Dominion win, then have the next series pick up as rebuilding the Federation after the Alpha Quadrant had been under Dominion rule. I thought that would have been a really cool alternate timeline two-parter or something like that, but would have been too dark to take Star Trek in that direction permanently. It would have kind of screwed over Voyager being able to get a happy ending too.

This was the original ending to Babylon 5. Shadows win, Babylon 5 is destroyed. Sinclair goes back in time and steals Babylon 4 from the past to make it a new base of operations. Thus begins the new PTEN hit Babylon Prime.

Oh yeah if you want to see Colm Meaney being awesome go dig up a copy of the Irish movie The Commitments. It's about an unemployed fast talking loser who starts his own '60s soul music band in the middle of Dublin. It's hilarious (and considered one of the best Irish-produced films ever made) and the music is good too. Colm Meaney plays the main character's bitter drunk father and he gets to bust out the comedy and the drama.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 10, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Luigi Thirty posted:

This was the original ending to Babylon 5. Shadows win, Babylon 5 is destroyed. Sinclair goes back in time and steals Babylon 4 from the past to make it a new base of operations. Thus begins the new PTEN hit Babylon Prime.

Oh yeah if you want to see Colm Meaney being awesome go dig up a copy of the Irish movie The Commitments. It's about an unemployed fast talking loser who starts his own '60s soul music band in the middle of Dublin. It's hilarious (and considered one of the best Irish-produced films ever made) and the music is good too. Colm Meaney plays the main character's bitter drunk father and he gets to bust out the comedy and the drama.
Didn't Meaney also play Russell Brand's bitter drunk musician father in Get Him to the Greek?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Which one is Goku, Geordi or Data?

Riker is Goku, his power level is proportional to his facial hair.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Geordi is Yamcha, Data is Tenshinhan.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Could the Borg assimilate the Founders?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nessus posted:

Didn't Meaney also play Russell Brand's bitter drunk musician father in Get Him to the Greek?

Yeah. If there's one thing Colm Meaney knows it's bitter drunk father.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Writer Cath posted:

Since they can be rock or even fire (hahahaha) I guess the nanowhatevers wouldn't have anything to latch on to? I dunno.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

Depends on the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Writer Cath posted:

The Founders are a band of Borg that broke away from the collective then traveled back in time 10,000 years to run from them. The goo is really just a bunch of nanoprobes.

• Locked thread