Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

elf help book posted:

I'm on my rooftop and I'm screaming as loud as I can.

Miyamoto is right!

After that video, I'm actually quite inclined to agree with that. Seriously, I kind of forgot that existed and now I'm ashamed I ever opened my dumb face.

I think my love of the first game kinda blinded me there. Not sure what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Probe 17 posted:

After that video, I'm actually quite inclined to agree with that. Seriously, I kind of forgot that existed and now I'm ashamed I ever opened my dumb face.

I think my love of the first game kinda blinded me there. Not sure what I was thinking.

I want the Mario series to go the Sonic Adventure route (story-wise).

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Getting a game over on Champion's Road was an unsubtle suggestion to go outside for a bit.

All those lives that cultivated were for this exact level.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Look at all these nerds acting like Mario games are suddenly gonna be bad if they have a story.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario games shouldn't have a story though, it's why Sticker Star was the best RPG Mario's ever starred in.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sticker Star was a point-and-click adventure with "RPG battles" tacked on to it because "Paper Mario" and a better story wouldn't have fixed its gameplay issues.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Something that bothered me about Sticker Star was the pacing of the game. I feel like the game suddenly dropped off and ended at about what felt like halfway through in terms of playing and experiencing different things. Obviously I knew the end was coming since you're getting the x number of plot things but it felt like the game really picked up in chapter 3, then slowed down in chapter 4 and then it was over all too quickly. Particularly in the case of Bowser's castle. I was expecting some kind of exciting final level to build up to the Bowser fight but instead you go in and Bowser's just there and that's it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario games shouldn't have a story though, it's why Sticker Star was the best RPG Mario's ever starred in.

C'mon man if you're going to troll you need to do a better job than this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirios posted:

C'mon man if you're going to troll you need to do a better job than this.

Was more just trying to poke fun at it as I recall Miyamoto disliking stories in Mario and having the game gutted and Bowser silenced because of it.

If I'm misremembering then whoops v:v:v

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm enjoying Sticker Star but I had different expectations going in than the people who paid full price for it on release date

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In my opinion, Sticker Star is easily the worst Mario RPG.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is without a doubt, I treat it as a different kind of game. I dunno what. I guess an adventure game where you use inventory items on bosses? Either way I avoid the combat outside of what's necessary and I like peeling poo poo and the game still has the eccentric writing of the other Mario RPGs. There's just no point to combat.

Actually there is one point to combat which is to see what all the Things do because they all have some ridiculous animation and fanfare.

Anyway I like it, it's just not a good RPG. It's the only Mario game since 64/Sunshine where you can go back into a level and find a different Star (aka comet pieces). And I miss that mechanic in the 3D Marios.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 10, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm enjoying Sticker Star but I had different expectations going in than the people who paid full price for it on release date

I started enjoying it more when I stopped pretending it was trying to be an RPG and started pretending it was a point-and-click adventure game ala Sam & Max or something. Most of the progression in the game was "find this item to get past this obstacle" so I'm assuming that's what they were aiming for. Even the boss fights functioned more or less in that manner, in that you had to find some item to make it trivial. The battles didn't make much sense being there but I guess they needed to pad the game out with something.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was more just trying to poke fun at it as I recall Miyamoto disliking stories in Mario and having the game gutted and Bowser silenced because of it.

If I'm misremembering then whoops v:v:v

I can't remember where that interview was, but I'm sure Kotaku and Polygon and every other games journalist took the translated interview, cherry-picked through, and figured "Miyamoto hates stories in Mario" would be a great clickbait article.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 10, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sticker Star is an educational game meant to teach children about problem solving and logic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Sticker Star is an educational game meant to teach children about bad video game design.

FTFY

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

noirstronaut posted:

I'm in full belief that the New series only exists to please people who want a classic Mario sidescroller. In a perfect world, Nintendo would make a sidescroller like SMB 3 with All-Star sprites, but we don't always get what we want, do we.

They call it "New Super Mario Bros" because that's literally what it is. It's the new Mario-as-in-Mario-3 game for the platform.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Rosalina's optional backstory in Super Mario Galaxy was really cute. Well, bye.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

japtor posted:

I think you share a pool of lives in 3D World so maybe co-op in that instead (and maybe start with farming lives for a few minutes).

I found that the lives do have a minor impact in multi cause if you're killing each other enough (need that crown dammit) the lives can run down quick, when the lives get low it's like a subtle reminder to actually work together at some point. Particularly for Plessie levels where your nephew is much too amused with sabotaging the group :argh:

I don't think you do pool lives, but I can't remember either way. 3D World was too difficult for her to really get used to anyway because of the extra axis of movement and the mechanics like the cat suit.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
No, in 3D World you do share a pool of lives. It's to discourage being a team killing dickwad, AKA it discourages fun.

Also, I enjoy the NSMB games in small doses, but if I play for too long I start to get a bit annoyed with them. If I play half a world at a time (give or take depending on the difficulty of said world) then I'm usually good, but any more then that and I start to really hate the whole franchise of the NSMB games. 3D World is hella great though and I can play that for hours at a time and probably tear through half the game in one sitting.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So i'm going through Pikmin 3 again for a slightly lower final day number (50 days seemed a bit high for a 100% run) and man, this game. If it had multiple save files and a way to skip all of the flavour text that keeps stopping you in your tracks for a second in the first few games, I would have no complaints about it.

I love that it's so lenient in it's time limit to the point that it's almost impossible to not be able to finish the game. I love that its built in the way that you have a lot of freedom. Like there's one firmly set path you will follow through the game, but what you can do on the way is limited only by your knowledge and skill.

I remember for my first run that I took about 4-5 days per area with the final day being completely devoted to the boss, and that it would usually be so close to the wire that I wouldn't be able to get the boss's carcass back in time. This time, it's taken me a day or two tops to get to the boss, and i've been able to use the second half of the boss day to gather a ton of fruit and two of the upgrades.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kirios posted:

In my opinion, Sticker Star is easily the worst Mario RPG.

Yeah, if Super Paper Mario didn't exist

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Late opinion time: Extra lives are just a way to give you minor goals without adding a new useless mechanic to the game. I don't need the lives but I'll still go out of my way to get them.

NSMBU is good, after playing the first two worlds last night I like it. I had to kind of force my way through the first couple levels but it picked up after that. A better soundtrack and more unique art style would go a long way toward improving it; as-is it feels like a cheap romhack or something.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Wait, Sticker Star is just a point and click game starring Mario? Interest has peaked, tell me more.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Moriatti posted:

Wait, Sticker Star is just a point and click game starring Mario? Interest has peaked, tell me more.

It's not literally point and click, the stickers in your inventory are used to solve puzzles in the same way inventory items are used in old adventure games. There's no leveling up, so the RPG battles are mostly a pointless, tacked-on feature.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Davinci posted:

Look at all these nerds acting like Mario games are suddenly gonna be bad if they have a story.

What it's gonna be is boring because the loving game is wasting my time with text and cutscenes when I want to loving jump and run!!!!!!!!!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mario Sunshine would have been better without the story and attempts at voice acting

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

But it was important to establish the origin of Bowser Jr. for all my fanfic canon needs

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mario Sunshine would have been better without the story and attempts at voice acting

And FLUDD. The best parts of Sunshine were the obstacle courses where your giant spray bottle got taken away.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Suspicious Cook posted:

And FLUDD. The best parts of Sunshine were the obstacle courses where your giant spray bottle got taken away.

FLUDD would be an excellent Yoshi-like powerup, but I think building a game around it was probably a mistake.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Superstar Saga and Partners in Time were fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Superstar Saga and Partners in Time were fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

You think Partners in Time was fantastic but you don't mention Bowser's Inside Story? I will loving fight you.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, if Super Paper Mario didn't exist

Even if you count Super Paper Mario (I personally wasn't, but I actually liked the game...I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though) Sticker Star's still the worst one.

Edit: The Thousand Year Door's the best Mario RPG outside of Super Mario RPG guys get with the program.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kirios posted:

Even if you count Super Paper Mario (I personally wasn't, but I actually liked the game...I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though) Sticker Star's still the worst one.

I dunno, I like Sticker Star infinitely more than Super Paper Mario.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

I liked that Mario had actual lines in the Japanese version. That doesn't happen beyond the wahoos usually.

Sunshine had some poo poo bonus courses though. gently caress Pachinko and that poison river stage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Cook posted:

No, please, not the Secret levels again! I'll be good, I promise! :shepicide:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well, yeah, Super Paper Mario is divisive to be sure, and I'd objectively call it the second worse one if it's included in the discussion, but I thought Sticker Star was legitimately a bad game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

You think Partners in Time was fantastic but you don't mention Bowser's Inside Story? I will loving fight you.

I haven't played that one. :( One of these days I will.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I haven't played that one. :( One of these days I will.

Go play BIS right now! PiT is hot garbage compared to it! It kind of is anyway because the fights are way too long and drawn out, it's exceedingly linear for an RPG and it's not nearly as charming as the first or third.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought the GBA and two DS Mario rpg games were great and the new one on 3DS is one of the only games tempting me to get the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I see this opinion a lot and I think it's completely insane. Those were the worst parts of the game for me. Here, have a central mechanic that you use all the loving time and really adds to the platforming (FLUDD rules). Now, have a level that takes it away and you feel totally gimped. It's not fun. It's the opposite of fun.

Mario Sunshine was a great game.

• Locked thread