Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ofaloaf posted:

412 living Heisenbergs? Christ, how do you know where they all are and what they're doing at any given time?

Probably cooking meth. Don't worry, it'll be fine!

Honestly I have no idea where most of them are. At some point one of them was the king of Sweden before being overthrown. I try to have a family gathering every few decades and invite everyone I can back home and send them to the holy orders or put them up as bishops.

Some of them are in duchies I gave them as I conquered lands and revoked themes from some of my less enthusiastic vassals. Nice thing about being an Emperor, I can revoke any theme/duchy I want because they're technically just military commissions.

Entropia fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shame on you if you don't hand out every title you obtain to dynasty members. :colbert:

Edit:

Kingdom vassals own

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Five of my despots are dynasty members. So yeah, that's been my standard practice. I used to have 8 kingdoms as dynasty titles, but the incompetent dickweeds lost em. I guess I might give some back to the dynasty now that everybody except one of my nine despots are in jail. And the one remaining Despot of Africa is a loyal dynasty member.

The problem with holding kingdom titles as your own as the Roman Emperor is that they don't follow the 'born in the purple' inheritance. So you have to give them to more distant relatives unless you want your brother to have a few kingdoms to rebel with after your heir succeeds.

Entropia fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 10, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's honestly fairly easy to control dynasty members, even if they are ambitious kings. I'm running elective, so I just put my most powerful vassal as "designated heir" for 10-20 years whenever I get a new ruler. The +50 relations bonus from that more or less guarantees that he'll stay loyal. thenyou just set your chancellor on permanent suck-up duty on your second most powerful vassal, and throw feasts/hand out cash (which you should have tons of when you have a sizeable empire) to anyone that dips below 20 relation.

I'm not sure how it works for byzantine since I haven't really played much as them, but I'm assuming they have some temporary relation boosting stuff like the tournaments/feasts as well?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about that Born in the purple stuff, I guess that could cause some problems.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of the Roman Restoration, I always thought it was annoying that Catholic Italia wasn't allowed to mend the schism by conquering Constantinople. The Romans weren't Greeks goddamn it. There's probably a mod that does that but idk.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Speaking of the Roman Restoration, I always thought it was annoying that Catholic Italia wasn't allowed to mend the schism by conquering Constantinople. The Romans weren't Greeks goddamn it. There's probably a mod that does that but idk.

Well I dunno, I'm playing Historical Immersion mod and you can mend the schism just by holding all of the five patriarchates as either catholic or orthodox. Which I did, after making Orthodox christianity go extinct.

I still have the Ecumenical patriarch as a vassal though, without any lands. He doesn't do much.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Broken Cog posted:

It's honestly fairly easy to control dynasty members, even if they are ambitious kings. I'm running elective, so I just put my most powerful vassal as "designated heir" for 10-20 years whenever I get a new ruler. The +50 relations bonus from that more or less guarantees that he'll stay loyal. thenyou just set your chancellor on permanent suck-up duty on your second most powerful vassal, and throw feasts/hand out cash (which you should have tons of when you have a sizeable empire) to anyone that dips below 20 relation.

I'm not sure how it works for byzantine since I haven't really played much as them, but I'm assuming they have some temporary relation boosting stuff like the tournaments/feasts as well?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about that Born in the purple stuff, I guess that could cause some problems.

My vassals revolted literally six months into Sigismund's reign. I didn't really have time. All I could do was to burn through 10k of gold in gifts and hope some of them would leave the rebel factions before poo poo hit the fan. Oh well, I guess having all potential rebels in jail at the start of your reign is better than having to deal with plots and little rebellions throughout your time.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Kingdom vassals own

There's several advantages to handing out your excess king titles, but prestige is not one of them. It works out to 0.8 prestige/month/title, no matter if personally held or vassalized.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I think my roman restoration game bugged out. I can't use the imperial reconquest CB anymore because there's nowhere left to take, but it's not firing the event for retaking all of France. I've looked and I don't think I'm missing any territories, is there an easy way to check or should I just fire them through the console and call it a day?

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Novolin posted:

I think my roman restoration game bugged out. I can't use the imperial reconquest CB anymore because there's nowhere left to take, but it's not firing the event for retaking all of France. I've looked and I don't think I'm missing any territories, is there an easy way to check or should I just fire them through the console and call it a day?

Is there a "is war possible?" decision in your intrigue tab? In HIP atleast that's how you can check what you need to hold in order to get to the next imperial reconquest rank.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

There is probably a barony being held by a holy order.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Ofaloaf posted:

412 living Heisenbergs? Christ, how do you know where they all are and what they're doing at any given time?

He knows exactly where they are, he just has no idea how fast they're moving.

or was that the joke?

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Non Sequitur posted:

He knows exactly where they are, he just has no idea how fast they're moving.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Broken Cog posted:

Kingdom vassals own

Kingdom vassals aren't worth the hassle.

Holding Kingdoms as an Emperor usually isn't worth it either, since it just pisses some people off that you're holding it, and it's another title you have to ensure goes to your heir.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm trying an Indian ruler for the first time, and decided to see how good ol' Europe was doing

:stare: Well then

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

monster on a stick posted:

I'm trying an Indian ruler for the first time, and decided to see how good ol' Europe was doing

Yeah don't start at 867, the Karling successor kingdoms always end up completely retarded before everyone switches to primogeniture. Imo changing succession laws is way too easy anyway.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

monster on a stick posted:

Yeah, what Entropia said. Playing the 867 start is just going down the alternative timeline where the Karlings didn't have an issue with popping out kids.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, what Entropia said. Playing the 867 start is just going down the alternative timeline where the Karlings didn't have an issue with popping out kids.

It'd be nice if there was some hidden randomization with regards to fertility instead of being just a flat statistic about how many filthy spawn your wife is going to poop out every decade. Characters have way too many kids and they survive way too often. HIP ostensively pretends to fix this by introducing some health maluses to young kids, but it doesn't really work at all when the health system itself is so utterly unrandomized. In reality in the middle ages healthy people died from accidents and infected wounds just as often as sickly people.

I shouldn't have 412 loving relatives is what I'm saying.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I noticed that my nephew who owns a large duchy under me, 32 years old, is married to an ugly retarded 52 year old. With my Spymaster in place the tooltip claims I have a 49% chance at assassinating her. I do not hesitate to say I am savescumming this one because seriously, gently caress that poo poo.

Seven unsuccessful attempts (five of them with my name revealed at no extra charge!) later I'm still at it... :paradox:

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I noticed that my nephew who owns a large duchy under me, 32 years old, is married to an ugly retarded 52 year old. With my Spymaster in place the tooltip claims I have a 49% chance at assassinating her. I do not hesitate to say I am savescumming this one because seriously, gently caress that poo poo.

Seven unsuccessful attempts (five of them with my name revealed at no extra charge!) later I'm still at it... :paradox:

Which is why you never, ever assasinate anyone. Plot that poo poo man.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropia posted:

It'd be nice if there was some hidden randomization with regards to fertility instead of being just a flat statistic about how many filthy spawn your wife is going to poop out every decade. Characters have way too many kids and they survive way too often. HIP ostensively pretends to fix this by introducing some health maluses to young kids, but it doesn't really work at all when the health system itself is so utterly unrandomized. In reality in the middle ages healthy people died from accidents and infected wounds just as often as sickly people.

The balancing act for vanilla is to do this without making the game completely unfun for players who will feel cheated (perhaps reasonably) when the random generator ends with a game over. Making it a very non-random system that can be understood and interacted with directly helps alleviate that unfun feeling.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Are there any mods or anything to deal with huge numbers of prisoners quickly? I've got about 200 right now and every time I ransom and kill them off, it fills up quickly again with all the raiding and conquering.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Entropia posted:

I'm not sure if all the values are still used or not, but in the defines.lua there are some really obvious values that seem to be related to how many children get born and how likely they are to die:

code:
MAX_CHILD_BIRTH_AGE = 45,
CHILD_BIRTH_TO_PREGNANCY_WAIT = 3,
BASE_NR_OF_CHILDREN_PER_COUPLE = 2,
EXTRA_NR_OF_CHILDREN_FOR_PLAYERS = 2,
COURT_SIZE_CHILD_PENALTY_THRESHOLD = 30,
NATURAL_DEATH_CHANCE_AGE_0 = 5,
NATURAL_DEATH_CHANCE_AGE_10 = 1,
<etc>
FERTILITY_BASE_MULT = 0.50,
SECONDARY_SPOUSE_FERTILITY_MULT = 0.50,
NOT_SPOUSE_FERTILITY_MULT = 0.25,
MARRIED_LOVERS_FERTILITY_MULT = 1.5,
INFANT_DEATH_CHANCE = 0.0,
Seems like it would be very easy to tweak the rates to your taste. Infant Death Chance seems like it would add a really obvious extra random effect on birth rates.

Not sure what the 'base number of children' or 'court size penalty' are for though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm not sure if all the values are still used or not, but in the defines.lua there are some really obvious values that seem to be related to how many children get born and how likely they are to die:

code:
<etc>
Seems like it would be very easy to tweak the rates to your taste. Infant Death Chance seems like it would add a really obvious extra random effect on birth rates.

Not sure what the 'base number of children' or 'court size penalty' are for though.

Base number of children should be the average number of children for an npc couple. The court size penalty means that courtiers in your court will have their fertility rates reduced if your court size exceeds that number. Not sure if imprisoned characters count for it, but probably not.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So I guess that means if someone has had less than 2 children that their fertility rate is boosted (or normal?) and beyond that it is penalized? And I guess that would only include living children?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
My understanding was that the number of children per couple was the maximum permissible; the chance of a woman becoming pregnant is governed by a randomized factor unrelated to that, but once they've had two, she can no longer become pregnant at all. In large courts, she can't become pregnant after the first. This restriction did not apply to the player, who could have up to nine living children...though the "EXTRA_NR_OF_CHILDREN_FOR_PLAYERS = 2" is new to me, and doesn't really fit this scheme very well.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

code:
<etc>

Now that is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't know enough to start fiddling with them. And it's not that I want the average number of children to be different, just that there should be more events that randomly cull characters. Life in the middle ages should not be predictable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Entropia posted:

Now that is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't know enough to start fiddling with them. And it's not that I want the average number of children to be different, just that there should be more events that randomly cull characters. Life in the middle ages should not be predictable.

Ah yeah that's a little more complicated. You can obviously tweak the chance of death by natural causes right there, and in the traits files you can increase the health penalty from stuff like Wounded and Maimed and diseases such. But for other Events you'd have to either add news ones or decrease the Mean Time To Happen on ones that already exist, which can be a bit more work.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Empire flags are complete.

Characters are filled in for everything east of the Mississippi.

We're almost ready for a beta release. Ofaloaf, can you talk to me on Steam?

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Entropia posted:

The problem with holding kingdom titles as your own as the Roman Emperor is that they don't follow the 'born in the purple' inheritance. So you have to give them to more distant relatives unless you want your brother to have a few kingdoms to rebel with after your heir succeeds.
Just give your firstborn the "Despot" honorary title. The problem with not holding kingdom level titles in the Roman Empire is that you run the risk of a mega-Doux creating and holding a kingdom as you can't revoke his title for free. I still create peripheral kingdom titles to handle revolts, but don't hand the titles out more generally.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

So in my Persian Empire game there was just a Great Holy War called for Cumania that I didn't notice until it was almost over and it went to one of my vassal kings. I don't have any interest in having Cumania being a part of my empire and want to release it as an independent realm, but it's now part of the Kingdom of Syria. Is there anything I can to take away Cumania from him besides just retracting vassalage of duchies one by one, making my entire empire angry in the process?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chief Savage Man posted:

Are there any mods or anything to deal with huge numbers of prisoners quickly? I've got about 200 right now and every time I ransom and kill them off, it fills up quickly again with all the raiding and conquering.

I don't know if this is still relevant or if there's a better way now, but I recall this video helping to make things a little less painful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3-KEBJxG0

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sam. posted:

Empire flags are complete.

Characters are filled in for everything east of the Mississippi.

We're almost ready for a beta release. Ofaloaf, can you talk to me on Steam?

Clearly I haven't been following this thread closely enough. What is this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Entropia posted:

Clearly I haven't been following this thread closely enough. What is this?

Post-Apocalyptic America reverting to Feudalism :haw:

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Post-Apocalyptic America reverting to Feudalism :haw:

oh. oh oh oh. This sounds interesting.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sam. posted:

We're almost ready for a beta release.
Oh my god, this is the best news. Waiting for this is 90% of the reason I follow this thread. I cannot wait!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Chief Savage Man posted:

I don't know where it originated, but I've seen more than one mod, Elder Kings among them, where you get a Prisoner Decisions decision on your decisions menu, and it lets you Ransom, Release, or Execute all prisoners. It doesn't work perfectly but it's better than nothing.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't know where it originated, but I've seen more than one mod, Elder Kings among them, where you get a Prisoner Decisions decision on your decisions menu, and it lets you Ransom, Release, or Execute all prisoners. It doesn't work perfectly but it's better than nothing.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?672542-Couple-Minor-Mods-Keyboard-Shortcuts-and-Interface-Adjust

I think this is it. It's bundled into most mod packs, so I can't really make sure. The shortcuts are SO useful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Entropia posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?672542-Couple-Minor-Mods-Keyboard-Shortcuts-and-Interface-Adjust

I think this is it. It's bundled into most mod packs, so I can't really make sure. The shortcuts are SO useful.

This is just for the extra keyboard shortcuts as far as I can tell. The Prisoner Decisions thing would be amazing to have as a standalone mod, hope it exists somewhere. If not, I might have to rip it out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is just for the extra keyboard shortcuts as far as I can tell. The Prisoner Decisions thing would be amazing to have as a standalone mod, hope it exists somewhere. If not, I might have to rip it out myself.

I dl'd, disabled all other mods, and yep you're right. Can't find any info on google on the HIP/CK2+/GoT interface thingy for ransoming/executing/releasing. It's the same intrigue decision in all of those mod packs, right?

• Locked thread