Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This dealership talk feels insanely predatory. I'm currently an intern at a car dealership, in Poland. The prices are very clearly marked. No one ever talks in monthly payment terms, it's all full price. When a client asks, they get told the full price.

When my last car got wrecked and I needed a new car in short order, I'm glad I paid more money than I wanted to spend on a used car I didn't even like from a family member who was trying to sell it, just so I could avoid dealing with a used car dealership.

At least now I know enough about cars and financing to handle myself in a dealership, but a year ago I would've been loving eaten alive by the salespeople and their tricks, even knowing that they can't be trusted.

I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday, and he said he had to walk out of one dealership because the salesman refused to give him the total price of the car. He just kept repeating "Oh don't worry about that, it's not important. Look at how low your monthly payments are!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This dealership talk feels insanely predatory. I'm currently an intern at a car dealership, in Poland. The prices are very clearly marked. No one ever talks in monthly payment terms, it's all full price. When a client asks, they get told the full price.

At a certain point people need to actually pay attention to what they're signing. On mine I had a total line item that included interest, and even if it didn't you know the monthly payment and the term. Like maybe super small subprime lender shops hide it a little better, but probably not because apparently nobody reads the thing anyway.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harry posted:

At a certain point people need to actually pay attention to what they're signing. On mine I had a total line item that included interest, and even if it didn't you know the monthly payment and the term. Like maybe super small subprime lender shops hide it a little better, but probably not because apparently nobody reads the thing anyway.

Its a cultural thing. A car is freedom, and all the small print doesn't matter. I have people call me daily who say they cancelled their insurance because their car got taken away like the one before. THIS one isn't going to be taken away, no sir! As long as they hit the monthly payment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

When my last car got wrecked and I needed a new car in short order, I'm glad I paid more money than I wanted to spend on a used car I didn't even like from a family member who was trying to sell it, just so I could avoid dealing with a used car dealership.

At least now I know enough about cars and financing to handle myself in a dealership, but a year ago I would've been loving eaten alive by the salespeople and their tricks, even knowing that they can't be trusted.

I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday, and he said he had to walk out of one dealership because the salesman refused to give him the total price of the car. He just kept repeating "Oh don't worry about that, it's not important. Look at how low your monthly payments are!"

Take a look at auto brokers if you're a pushover but know what you want. They'll negotiate for you, and take a percentage of whatever they get under the expected sale value of the car.

Also, if you want to buy a :frogsiren:NEW CAR:frogsiren:, consumer reports has a fleet vehicle purchasing setup with major dealers, which was a huge, huge help when purchasing our minivan.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

You've spoken the forbidden words, what have you done.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ranbo das posted:

You've spoken the forbidden words, what have you done.

It's ok, you have to add "Lease" to those words to wake up the BFCeast.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
There are good leases these days.

AWAKEN

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Knightmare posted:

AWAKEN

What have you done?! :krakken:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hang on, I'll fix it!

So if my expenses are $2000 a month, can I retire on $800k?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Knightmare posted:

AWAKEN

Especially when you factor in the no headache quality of life factor.

welp, BYE!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Aristotle Animes posted:

Especially when you factor in the no headache quality of life factor.

welp, BYE!

That has no monetary value and should not be taken into consideration, quality of life is second to FI which is the white whale holy grail.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Having children is financially irresponsible and the people that do it are monsters worse than Hilter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

Having children is financially irresponsible and the people that do it are monsters worse than Hilter.

You can't put a price on that though, if your values are different you should umpfurghfadasdssdsdsds

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MickeyFinn posted:

How else am I supposed to get all the farm work done? :(

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

Padding in the emergency fund? College funds? TOYS??!? It's no wonder people load them into the car and drive it into a lake. Kids are the death of your 401k.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aristotle Animes posted:

It's no wonder people load them into the car and drive it into a lake.

This is why you get comprehensive insurance.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Keetron posted:

That has no monetary value and should not be taken into consideration, quality of life is second to FI which is the white whale holy grail.

Why do all my bookmarked threads end up in sperm whale chat? It's like Godwin's Law, but Godfin's Law instead.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why are leases inherently bad?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jastiger posted:

They aren't inherently bad, but for newbie finance and for people trying to get a hold of their finances/debts they aren't really very good.

Which of course naturally gets taken to mean "LEASES ARE TERRIBLE ALWAYS".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Guinness posted:

Unless you're a corporation or adopting very un-BFC behavior (E.g. getting new cars very often), yeah, they're pretty bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

In a thread titled "Tell us stories about people bad with money," leases are always bad. :colbert:

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Well, here's some expert advice on why leasing is a great option: http://www.kiplinger.com/article/cars/T009-C004-S001-five-myths-about-leasing-a-car.html

Article posted:

Say you negotiate to buy a 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (sticker price: $23,365) for invoice price -- $21,403 -- with 10% down and a five-year loan at 2.9%. But after three years you decide you want a new car. If you trade in the Altima, you will likely get about 46% of the sticker price, or $10,621 (the resale value after three years, according to the Kelley Blue Book). Then you'll have to pay off the loan. Figure your total out-of-pocket cost will be $9,525.

But if you lease that new Altima for three years, your monthly payments will be $179 with a $1,820 down payment (Nissan has been offering subsidized leases on the 2013 Altima). When you turn in the car at the end of the lease, you'll just walk away (unless you go over your mileage allotment or have unusual wear and tear). Total out-of-pocket cost: $8,264. In this case, leasing would leave you $1,261 richer.

In most states, you pay taxes only on the actual lease payments, so leasing can put you even further ahead (see number 3 below). Plus, you typically don't have to bring cash to the table for a lease.

So yeah, if you like getting new cars for no reason, it might be a good idea. That might be the only justification.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Leases - pay for less than half of its MSRP, no responsibility for repairs, 36,000 mile limit, return it after 3 years

Owning New - pay for all of its MSRP, full responsibility for repairs, it should last 100,000 miles before making GBS threads the bed

Owning Used - pay for whatever it's worth based on mileage/condition, full responsibility for repairs, could die in a week or in 10 years depending on how much money you drain into it

I think regardless of whatever option you choose (unless you get suckered into a 2-year lease - don't do that), it's pretty much a wash on what you're going to spend over your lifetime on cars. Until cheaper cars become available, we're all hosed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you pay MSRP for a car (Don't do this) then drive it for 10 years, you'll come up way ahead of the guy who's paying half MSRP for a car every three years. After 9 years, that guy's paid 150% MSRP, you've paid 100% (Plus maintenance), and you still have a car.

Leasing would make sense if the average car had a service life of three years, modern cars should be good for 10+ years.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Reddit continues to be a goldmine. The stock market is doing really well right? :downs:

quote:

You bought 10 shares of BONE, which was trading at $0.63. You paid a $10 commission on that trade, costing you $16.30.

BONE had a 10:1 reverse split. You now have 1 share of BONE. It has dropped in value. It now trades at $4.52, because they had a secondary offering.

Your broker charged you a $38 fee because BONE had the reverse split.

If you sell your one share, you will need to pay your broker another $10 commission. So you will net $5.48.

So, your investment of $6.30 has resulted in you losing $52.52.

Your return is -833%.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I thought that was from some kind of stock market Oregon Trail style game.

But no it's really a thing that happened.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I was actually convinced by someone in BFC to lease my last car.

The key factor is that...

EugeneJ posted:

return it after 3 years

This part is optional. I agreed to pay for about half the price of the vehicle over 3 years. At the end of those 3 years, I can choose whether or not I want to pay for the other half of the vehicle and keep it. If the particular vehicle model I chose depreciates badly, and it's worth less than the residual value, I can just walk away, and I end up better off than if I'd bought it. If it keeps value well, then I buy it and keep it, no worse off than if I'd bought it in the first place.

In other words, you can think of it as a 3/3 adjustable rate loan, with the option to get out of it for free half way through if you're upside down.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Care to extoll the financial virtues of rent-to-own furniture as well?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The link in that thread to the kid who borrowed $100k @ 8% to bet on the Facebook ER, doubled it, then lost it all. Just wow.

http://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/1x754v/kid_borrows_100k_with_8_interest_wins_on_fb_er/

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Wallstreetbets is a great subreddit. It's nearly dead now due to everyone buying into NQ which went from 20 to like 4 in 3 months.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Aristotle Animes posted:

Care to extoll the financial virtues of rent-to-own furniture as well?

I hope this is hyperbole. If not, is this one of the BFC :krakken: that appears when you mention leases?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I hope this is hyperbole. If not, is this one of the BFC :krakken: that appears when you mention leases?

No, rent-to-own is uncontroversial. Everyone agrees it's stupid as gently caress.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

What are you talking about? If the couch isn't worth what you've got out of it for a price you could fetch on CL, then you get them to haul it away and get a brand new couch! There isn't a way to lose here!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Aristotle Animes posted:

What are you talking about? If the couch isn't worth what you've got out of it for a price you could fetch on CL, then you get them to haul it away and get a brand new couch! There isn't a way to lose here!

Plus, Hulk Hogan and Troy Aikman said that I could stop paying whenever I want! Try that with furniture you bought outright!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

.Z. posted:

The link in that thread to the kid who borrowed $100k @ 8% to bet on the Facebook ER, doubled it, then lost it all. Just wow.

http://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/1x754v/kid_borrows_100k_with_8_interest_wins_on_fb_er/

The guy's subtitle is, "I'm a day trader with just enough knowledge to be dangerous."

Dangerous only to himself, apparently. :laffo:

Folly
May 26, 2010

Guinness posted:

They aren't inherently bad, but for newbie finance and for people trying to get a hold of their finances/debts they aren't really very good.

There was also a time period on the 90's when leases were just terrible. Even fairly established dealers put some seriously bullshit terms in them and then pressure sold them. You seriously could not go to a dealership without them trying to change the sale into a lease. At the time, it sounded a lot like the stories you'd get from people who took free Disney tickets in exchange for listening to a time share pitch.

That behavior kinda poisoned the well on leases for a lot of people.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

EugeneJ posted:

Owning New - pay for all of its MSRP, full responsibility for repairs, it should last 100,000 miles before making GBS threads the bed

It's 2014 dude, cars are broken in at 100,000. Car milage in general is a stupid wear signifier. Age is the deciding factor. I drive almost all highways and my Fusion turned 2 last month. I just hit 70,000 this week. Not a single issue, in fact it still looks like it's garage kept with 15,000. With basic car repair knowledge you can and should keep a car on the road no matter the milage for at least 10 years.

I've had a '94 corolla which I got rid of after 15 years with 278,000, sold and continued to run until it was totaled in an accident.
2000 Pontiac Sunfire which lived to 10 years at 286,000, sold and continued to run until owner didn't want to fix leaky radiator.
2001 Pontiac Grand-Am which lived 11 years at 312,000, sold to carmax, scrapped.
and currently have a 2001 Silverado 1500 at 356,000
2010 Fusion at 77,000
2012 Fusion at 70,000 I average 33,000 a year and plan to keep this car for 10 years and 350,000.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I think he's saying 100K as the minimum to expect conservativly...at least that's how I read it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never bought a car before and I'm a mid twenties professional. All this cartalk sounds confusing. How would I even shop for a car anyway? I'm smart enough to understand that salesmen will keep hounding me what I want to pay per month so they can charge me up with interest vs just telling me the total cost but that's about it. I always thought cars were 30,000$+ ordeals. What are these nice 10-15000$ nice cars?

(Disclaimer: I know gently caress all about cars, seriously. Ask me who makes an Altima and I couldn't tell you (well I can but only because a close friend has one but you get my point))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never bought a car before and I'm a mid twenties professional. All this cartalk sounds confusing. How would I even shop for a car anyway? I'm smart enough to understand that salesmen will keep hounding me what I want to pay per month so they can charge me up with interest vs just telling me the total cost but that's about it. I always thought cars were 30,000$+ ordeals. What are these nice 10-15000$ nice cars?

(Disclaimer: I know gently caress all about cars, seriously. Ask me who makes an Altima and I couldn't tell you (well I can but only because a close friend has one but you get my point))

ConsumerReports.org I think is a great place to start researching cars if you don't know much, or even if you do.

• Locked thread