Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

PantsBandit posted:

So I've started getting this weird thing where my mouse will pop up when I boot the game and it refuses to go away. When I googled it people were talking about it happening when alt+tabbing to a separate window but I'm not even doing that. At first I thought it might be a mod issue but I booted up Skyrim from steam instead of the mod organizer and it's still doing it. Any ideas?

Edit: Just went into Mod Organizer and disabled everything but the expansions and it's still doing it so it's definitely not a mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/ should help.

And on a mod related front...
My SkyProc patching takes over an hour to complete. I feel like I accomplished something. It hasn't crashed, mind you. If I wasn't using SUM it'd just crash outright when trying to make my patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've got back into Skyrim after finally finishing Baldur's Gate 1&2, and I have about a 100 mods. Some of them make the dungeons a lot darker, which is....nice, but annoying when I can't see a thing when I'm trying to sneak without a 150 watt light globe above my head. Is there a spell/mod somewhere that I can cast to get the Night Eye ability? None of the court mages I've come across seem to have one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Comstar posted:

I've got back into Skyrim after finally finishing Baldur's Gate 1&2, and I have about a 100 mods. Some of them make the dungeons a lot darker, which is....nice, but annoying when I can't see a thing when I'm trying to sneak without a 150 watt light globe above my head. Is there a spell/mod somewhere that I can cast to get the Night Eye ability? None of the court mages I've come across seem to have one.

Grab this mod.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22274/

Yes, it's not a night eye spell because those don't exist, but you'll be able to see at least if you grab this and just 'cheat' to give yourself night eye. Also it doesn't have the annoying rear end night eye shader on it so it works a lot better since it doesn't blur everything and make it nearly impossible to see anyways

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Grab this mod.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22274/

Yes, it's not a night eye spell because those don't exist, but you'll be able to see at least if you grab this and just 'cheat' to give yourself night eye. Also it doesn't have the annoying rear end night eye shader on it so it works a lot better since it doesn't blur everything and make it nearly impossible to see anyways

Midas Magic has a night eye spell.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IAmTheRad posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/ should help.

My SkyProc patching takes over an hour to complete. I feel like I accomplished something. It hasn't crashed, mind you. If I wasn't using SUM it'd just crash outright when trying to make my patches.

So this mod didn't do it but I did get it to work by alt-tabbing out, bringing up the task manager, and bringing skyrim to the front. I had tried this on windowed mode without any result but for some reason it worked in full screen. Thanks anyways though!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why the hell is Apache Skyhair one of the most endorsed mods of all time. I keep checking it out because of how popular it is, but the hair is all comically shiny barbie hair.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why the hell is Apache Skyhair one of the most endorsed mods of all time. I keep checking it out because of how popular it is, but the hair is all comically shiny barbie hair.

Because through sheer volume it actually has a couple good hairstyles in it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
There aren't very many hair mods and the vanilla hair generally sucks so there you go.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

IAmTheRad posted:

drat are you at like 254 giant mods when you run it or something?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I'm having a very unusual problem. I started getting a lot of crashes, freezes, and even BSODs while playing Skyrim. Someone told me that it could be a problem with my hard drive, so I moved my Skyrim folder to one of my external drives and used a symbolic link to move the savegame folder there as well. Everything seemed to be okay until I noticed that most of the sound effects weren't working. So I redownloaded the entire game and reinstalled my mods one by one. The sound still doesn't work properly. It seems to be limited to weapon sounds right now. Sheathing and unsheathing always have no sound. Crossbow firing and reloading have sound, but regular bows are silent. Weapon impact sounds sometimes work and sometimes don't. Swinging sounds are also random, but they usually don't work.

None of my other mods do anything to sound effects. I really don't know what's going on here.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

LtSmash posted:

drat are you at like 254 giant mods when you run it or something?

I was at a high number of mods, yeah. Dual Sheath Redux took the longest. I'm going to trim down the amount of mods I'm using. Constant crashes isn't fun.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Does this error look familiar to anyone?

quote:

Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\TESV.exe". Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const unsigned short *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)

I get the same thing in the MO log every time I crash, which is around 30-45 minutes into the game each time. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing in game that causes it, I just CTD without a message. I know it isn't ENB, since I've tried disabling it and still get a crash. I've monitored my GPUs and they appear to be fine and not causing the problem either.

I can post my modlist/order if needed but I'm hoping someone will have had this problem and solved it before I have to gently caress around with all that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone ever use that mod/ini tweak to make all your favorite weapons appear on your character model?

I've never gotten it to work.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr Scumbag posted:

Does this error look familiar to anyone?

I get the same thing in the MO log every time I crash, which is around 30-45 minutes into the game each time. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing in game that causes it, I just CTD without a message. I know it isn't ENB, since I've tried disabling it and still get a crash. I've monitored my GPUs and they appear to be fine and not causing the problem either.

I can post my modlist/order if needed but I'm hoping someone will have had this problem and solved it before I have to gently caress around with all that.

It's failing when it tries to create/write a file so you can narrow down your last by mods that do that our create a log etc. Could also be Skyrim, as I I've never seen a mod crash give a Windows exception.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Annath posted:

Anyone ever use that mod/ini tweak to make all your favorite weapons appear on your character model?

I've never gotten it to work.

I used it for a bit. It wasn't terrible.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LoonShia posted:

I used it for a bit. It wasn't terrible.

How'd you get it to work? I change the value in the ini file, but literally nothing happens.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Gentlemen, I present to you Sorbo Mk. 2.

No longer does he have terrible sunken-in cheeks, although his face dimples are frustratingly hard to erase.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Annath posted:

How'd you get it to work? I change the value in the ini file, but literally nothing happens.

Weird. Equipping Overhaul worked pretty well for me, without having to do any .ini-tweaking. I guess I'm recommending you use that...?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, Equipping Overhaul gives you the ini tweak. It also smooths over most bugs that happen when you switch weapons without sheathing first, and adds some immersion-y options for dropping your bow and grabbing a sword or whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ah, I wasn't using a mod, I just changed the boolean value in the ini file. Had no idea it needed a mod to go with it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Does anyone know this bug:
After Harkon gives the vamplord tutorial the Bloodlines quest completes but the journal entries/quest guidance for chalice quest doesn't appear(although quest is visible in console and Garan has the dialog option for it). Talking to Garan Mareti has dialog options but causes him to go to balcony over dining area and stay there instead of going to the chalice and advancing quest.
I see few posts telling they have same but no fixes, this happened even without any mods. Did Dragonborn or patches break it since the last time I played it?

E: NVM, turns out it's caused by some old files left behind since 2013 in data/scripts folder

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 10, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

It's failing when it tries to create/write a file so you can narrow down your last by mods that do that our create a log etc. Could also be Skyrim, as I I've never seen a mod crash give a Windows exception.

Do you have any mods that use FISS? Because that creates files and might be crashing.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Are there any mods rework skills to have spillover experience?

Like using one handers may improve your two hander ability at 10% of the rate, or casting magic in general levels other magic at a slower rate.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Drakes posted:

Like using one handers may improve your two hander ability at 10% of the rate, or casting magic in general levels other magic at a slower rate.
A lot of SPERG's perks do things like this.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mr. Crow posted:

I've only ever seen and caused windows exceptions from SKSE dll plugins so I would second the question about FISS or other things with a dll.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Drakes posted:

There aren't any mods that I know of that will level up abilities that you don't use. As previously said, SPERG perks can impact more than just the one skill it's tied to.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Does anyone know enough about the reproccer to explain how I can get weapons to switch weapon types? I have some scythes I'd like to use, but right now they're all being counted as halberds by SkyRe and I'd like them to be considered BattleStaffs instead. I have NotePad++ So I can edit the .xml stats file, but I'm just not sure what needs to be changed/added/whatever. Also one of the weapon additions, dragonbone weapons, doesn't seem to be getting picked up at all if I'm looking at TES5Edit correctly. Which I might not be.

Edit: Aaaaand nevermind, something I did is making Skyrim get stuck right at the opening before the options to start/continue/load/etc appear. Turns out it was Dragon Combat Overhaul, which is weird because I was playing with that earlier. That actually sucks, DCO makes fighting dragons way more fun.

Edit2: I can't find it now, but didn't someone post a mod in here that let you pick up and place drat near anything, in any orientation? What was that?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 11, 2014

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Isn't there are mod that allows you to import one of your savegame characters into a new save as a follower? I think you had to go to a statue that saved your character. I can't remember what the name of the mod was and it's driving me insane.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

Isn't there are mod that allows you to import one of your savegame characters into a new save as a follower? I think you had to go to a statue that saved your character. I can't remember what the name of the mod was and it's driving me insane.

You are looking for Familiar Faces

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RickDaedalus posted:

Wow, that sounds really cool! Wish I had heard of this back when I had started Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Wow, that sounds really cool! Wish I had heard of this back when I had started Skyrim.

I'm actually using this now and it works pretty well.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I decided to fire up Skyrim again and install a lot of graphical mods. I want to try one of the ENB configurations as well as all of the textures recommended with Texture Pack Combiner. However, I seem to recall trying something similar a while ago and part of the result was that night time was really dark. As such, I have a few questions for you Skyrim modding vets before I begin:

1. What can I do to make night time just as bright (or close enough) as vanilla Skyrim while using ProjectENB or one of the other recommended ENB configs?
2. Are there any words of caution in regards to the Texture Pack Combiner and all of the texture mods that are recommended? I hesitate because that is a ton of mods and I'd rather avoid anything that is more trouble than it is worth.
3. I see that the Static Mesh Improvement Mod is recommended. Is that still the case if I do all of the above? Should I still install Static Mesh Improvement Mod last and order it last in MO?

Thanks in advance.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
The texture pack combiner has been replaced by the skyrim mod combiner: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51467/

SMC does everything that the TPC did with a nice GUI interface instead of a command prompt and links to all the various mods used within the program itself. For the most part, the textures they select from the various packs are pretty good and fit nicely with one another, but there are some exceptions. If you decide to use every single thing in the SMC, be aware that it's probably about 20GB worth of mods to download.

Edit - the Static Mesh Improvement Mod is used in SMC, so that's probably the best way to incorporate it with a bunch of other texture/mesh mods.

Edit 2 - If you want an ENB that's as close to the vanilla color/lighting scheme, I'd recommend Phinix ENB, otherwise you have to start messing around with the config files and that can be an utter pain to get it to look the way you want.

Dootman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

What about CoT alone? Does that result in the same darkness issue?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I don't use COT, but if you just pick the vanilla brightness options during install, everything will be at normal brightness levels at night.

Here's a gallery I just made of Riverwood, Bleakfalls Barrow, Dragon's Reach (during the day and at night) and a couple other places around Whiterun to show off what the SMC texture pack looks like: http://imgur.com/a/9bsIm

The lighting mods I'm using are Relighting Skyrim, ENB ELE image spaces, and a modified Serenity ENB. The pine trees around Whiterun are from Perfect Whiterun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Very useful. Thank you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

CoT will only be dark if you choose one of the night modules. I do recommend throwing in the Climates of Tamriel Weather Patch in the game too. Do NOT use the CoT night levels with the weather patch. Level 2 (from the weather patch) works fine since it makes nights dark. The modules are completely optional.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Ignore this post, I am silly.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 12, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

IAmTheRad posted:

CoT will only be dark if you choose one of the night modules. I do recommend throwing in the Climates of Tamriel Weather Patch in the game too. Do NOT use the CoT night levels with the weather patch. Level 2 (from the weather patch) works fine since it makes nights dark. The modules are completely optional.

The page says this is meant for ENB. Is this still useful if I'm not using ENB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The page says this is meant for ENB. Is this still useful if I'm not using ENB?

The regular version works fine without ENB. The Fog version is the one made to be used alongside an ENB setting. The main difference is that the fog one has Volumetric Fog, while the regular one won't have that fog. It'll still have a fog weather setting.

• Locked thread