Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

For reals though the suspension is the best part of a Buell. On paper they may have middling Showa components, but Erik really knows how to set up a bike that can handle. My SV650-riding friend's first words coming off my Uly for the first time was "so that's what a suspension is like".
Every Buell I've ridden (never rode the rotax ones) felt like it was so close to being a fantastic bike. But didn't quite make it. And the drivetrain was part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, the suspension on them is really nice. USD forks, good adjustability at both ends...the one I'm looking at even has a Penske rear shock.

The perfect bike for me would be a Hyperstrada, but I don't have anywhere near Hyperstrada money. The Versys is probably the best cheap substitute possible.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to an SV650 or a Versys right now. I change my mind a lot, but those two are strong contenders.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
SV650 engine is better, Versys everything else is better.

Speaking of, checked out that "super good deal" Versys today and it had a shitload of surface rust all over the frame. Otherwise it's in great shape with tons of good parts on it, but I didn't get the *starbursts* about it to the point where I'm comfortable accelerating my timetables. Oh well, probably better anyways.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Every Buell I've ridden (never rode the rotax ones) felt like it was so close to being a fantastic bike. But didn't quite make it. And the drivetrain was part of the problem.

How hard is it to put a new engine/drivetrain in a Buell frame?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

RadioPassive posted:

How hard is it to put a new engine/drivetrain in a Buell frame?
Pretty major engineering job. I can see it being great with a large air cooled Ducati engine or something though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That got me thinking, has anyone ever swapped a non-Harley engine into one of their frames?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would think that there wouldn't be much advantage to gain in that. Usually you're swapping a motor into a good frame for handling reasons or to run an older motor with modern suspension, brakes etc.

A Harley frame offers none of those advantages, and I'd argue that the motor is probably the best part of the package anyway

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The only advantage I could think of is getting Harley owners mad.

In my searches, I did find a bunch of people removing EFI for carbs, and one guy asking about putting an 07 motor in a 91 frame. I don't understand the point to those swaps either.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can understand the second one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I can understand the second one

Yeah this, same reason you put an LS1 in a car that originally had a 350/LT1.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pretty major engineering job. I can see it being great with a large air cooled Ducati engine or something though.

Is the engine a stressed member? Can't see it working if so, if only because of the vastly different v-angle. What about the water-cooled motor out of the V-Rod? That would at least be roughly the right shape and give a lot more tunability.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is the engine a stressed member? Can't see it working if so, if only because of the vastly different v-angle. What about the water-cooled motor out of the V-Rod? That would at least be roughly the right shape and give a lot more tunability.

I'm really curious about this too, actually. I think a V-rod engine swap would be badass as all hell in an XB12 or whatnot. So I decided to do a ~Google Search~ and found that some review websites claim that the XB12S Lightning uses the engine as a fully-stressed member. Personally, I was betting against it because I thought the air-cooled Harley engines wouldn't be designed to handle those sort of stresses, but apparently I'm completely wrong.

There's also these crazy dudes who are apparently taking the engine as a chassis thing pretty far with the Buell engines. :stare:

http://www.bottpower.com/bott-xr1/

They're claiming a drop of 20kg in weight compared to the stock Buell XB12. That looks like one hell of a fun kit to make, if they can keep the chassis stiff with that design.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The V-rod motors have a massive top end compared to the air cooled ones in the Buells, I don't see that working well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I'm really curious about this too, actually. I think a V-rod engine swap would be badass as all hell in an XB12 or whatnot. So I decided to do a ~Google Search~ and found that some review websites claim that the XB12S Lightning uses the engine as a fully-stressed member. Personally, I was betting against it because I thought the air-cooled Harley engines wouldn't be designed to handle those sort of stresses, but apparently I'm completely wrong.

There's also these crazy dudes who are apparently taking the engine as a chassis thing pretty far with the Buell engines. :stare:

http://www.bottpower.com/bott-xr1/

They're claiming a drop of 20kg in weight compared to the stock Buell XB12. That looks like one hell of a fun kit to make, if they can keep the chassis stiff with that design.

Not seeing a lot of resitance to lateral flex there unless the Harley gearbox and bottom end is really ridiculously overengineered, which seems unlikely given just how meaty the wraparound section of the Buell frame is. Fairly sure Harley engines aren't normally stressed at all, so gently caress knows what that does to things.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day:

Didn't ride the whole weekend because 'reasons'. Got home after work today to find a bike with two flat tires, with both valves neatly open, and a cheeky note about loud bikes won't get you very far if there is no air in the tires. Considering that I know which neighbor hates me and my bike, I will leave you to guess whose Mitsubishi Pajero got a tank full of sugar and 5 slashed tires, and no cheeky note ...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

adary posted:

Rant of the day:

Didn't ride the whole weekend because 'reasons'. Got home after work today to find a bike with two flat tires, with both valves neatly open, and a cheeky note about loud bikes won't get you very far if there is no air in the tires. Considering that I know which neighbor hates me and my bike, I will leave you to guess whose Mitsubishi Pajero got a tank full of sugar and 5 slashed tires, and no cheeky note ...

:eyepop:

Well, some turd with a handicapped placard parked in the space my bike was in at work yesterday. I park all the way to the back of the space so my buddy can park his 10-R in front of me, but he had brought his car instead so Old Handicapped Fucker thought it was cool to jam in.

The thing that really pissed me off was that I park off in a corner, and there was a buttload of open disabled spaces they had to drive past to get to me. In fact there are blue spaces directly across from mine that were all empty.

I was having a lovely day already so I was enraged. I was about to leave anyway so I went and clocked out/geared up etc, and when I came back out they were gone. They were gonna get an avocado in the tailpipe and a note to enjoy the guacamole( I park under an avocado tree).

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I've seen how much poo poo disabled people have to put up with, like people constantly using the handicapped spots as a "5 minute parking" zone so they can run inside for their double-caramel-frappucano. Or when people think that blocked off ramp area next to the handicapped spot is actually a free parking space so handicapped people can't actually get their ramp down and forces them to drive to an open corner spot in the back of the lot so they have enough space to actually get out. Sucks about the parking spot, but it's got to be extra lovely having to drive one of those ramp-vans around.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

adary posted:

Rant of the day:

What goes through someones mind to even do this poo poo, gently caress me. What a dipshit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

adary posted:

Rant of the day:

I don't suppose we could get a picture of the note?

And gently caress that rear end in a top hat. I hope you got the right person, because they absolutely deserve that poo poo. loving with someone's bike could get them killed if they don't notice the poo poo before trying to ride off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chichevache posted:

I don't suppose we could get a picture of the note?

I'm going to bet you can't read it

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
You definitely won't be able to read the note since it's in Hebrew.

I did get the right guy since he knocked on my door an hour ago and started raging. Hist first like was: I let your air out as a warning and you slash my loving tires? I didn't do damage to your bike blah blah blah I will call police blah blah blah. I just slammed the door in his face (hopefully it hit him since i have this very nice steel security door).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

adary posted:

I did get the right guy since he knocked on my door an hour ago and started raging. Hist first like was: I let your air out as a warning and you slash my loving tires? I didn't do damage to your bike blah blah blah I will call police blah blah blah. I just slammed the door in his face (hopefully it hit him since i have this very nice steel security door).

I hope you put your bike somewhere he can't get to it first.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

adary posted:

This is going to end with him blowing up your house and blaming Hamas.

Then when you're in the news everyone here is going to go "Hey, we knew that guy. I guess things escalated a little bit".

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 10, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

adary posted:

Maybe you should dig a tunnel into his yard...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is anyone surprised that he saw that as a proportional response?

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Lets not forget the sugar in the gas tank now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm going to bet you can't read it

:argh: They should have a yellow star next to his name or something, so I can tell him apart from the English posters.

adary posted:

Good. gently caress that guy. Make sure all your valuables are someplace safe and consider getting a security camera on them if they aren't. That way you can at least have the dude locked up if he fucks with your bike again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I am, a bit. Glad my neighbours aren't that loopy.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Chichevache posted:

:argh: They should have a yellow star next to his name or something, so I can tell him apart from the English posters.

Good. gently caress that guy. Make sure all your valuables are someplace safe and consider getting a security camera on them if they aren't. That way you can at least have the dude locked up if he fucks with your bike again.

I locked the bike up in my in-laws garage and pointed a camera at the car to see if he messes with it.

And yes, this is a proper response to some rear end in a top hat loving with my bike. This wasn't the first time he hosed with it or with me. The dude already threw a bottle at me from 3rd floor, and he spilled water on me one morning, and I just ignored him. this time around i went all the way and hosed him back. With all due respect, I don't give a gently caress about the noise my bike makes at 8am when i go to work, or at 7pm when i come back from work

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
BEER SUMMIT.

I believe if someone actually explained to him that loud pipes are a sort of public service, saving countless lives daily all over the world--he'd see the light and we could avoid further escalation.

tjones
May 13, 2005
What ever happened to confronting someone? Having a conversation and offering some type of compromise? Hell, an old fashion scuffle would be more acceptable than how you retaliated.

Obviously you yourself subscribe to the same passive aggressive douche-baggery that your neighbor does. Except for the fact that you took it above and beyond anything remotely defensible. Having the air let out of your tires is pretty irrational on his part, but potentially ruining someone's engine and destroying their tires in kind is completely insane. No, that is never the proper response in any situation. Are you four years old?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

As to the sugar in the gas tank,

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/sugar-in-gas-tank.htm

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Next time just rent a bulldozer and drive over his car.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

tjones posted:

What ever happened to confronting someone? Having a conversation and offering some type of compromise? Hell, an old fashion scuffle would be more acceptable than how you retaliated.

Obviously you yourself subscribe to the same passive aggressive douche-baggery that your neighbor does. Except for the fact that you took it above and beyond anything remotely defensible. Having the air let out of your tires is pretty irrational on his part, but potentially ruining someone's engine and destroying their tires in kind is completely insane. No, that is never the proper response in any situation. Are you four years old?

His neighbor hosed with his bike and assaulted him by that point, so I'm pretty sure trying to reason with the dude isn't going to happen. A lot of people have an irrational hatred of motorcycles and can not be reasoned with. If you haven't met one of them then you're very lucky and I'd like to live in your world.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Jesus christ, I think we need to bring back the AI pain machine custom titles.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

tjones posted:

gently caress him, who cares? He kicked it off and underestimated the response. Serves him right, IMHO.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Marxalot posted:

This is going to end with him blowing up your house and blaming Hamas.

n8r posted:

Maybe you should dig a tunnel into his yard...

nsaP posted:

No one else seems to have gotten these so I just wanted to say that I get these and I'm laughing my goddamn rear end off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Trust me I got them

Even if the humor in them fell a little short of target

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No one else seems to have gotten these so I just wanted to say that I get these and I'm laughing my goddamn rear end off.

*ahem*

Chichevache posted:

Or maybe mine just sucked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well if there was anyone who would be expected to get them......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Trust me I got them

Even if the humor in them fell a little short of target

I got them, just seems a little rough. Without context that story could easily be from texas or London or Sydney.