Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If it's ANYONE but Stewart I think it's immediately hand waved away as an unfortunate and tragic circumstance. But because if that previous interaction it's going to cast Stewart in a bad light when combined with his past behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
also the moon landing was fake and the holocaust wasn't real

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wait it's a parody post from a goon meltdown.

maxallen posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about stock car racing, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Tony Stewart, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the NASCAR's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Tony Stewart. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Tony Stewart is a murderer. He killed another race car driver. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Tony Stewart. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about racing and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Tony Stewart as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional racing without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw racing as a means to an end. He was in it for racing. He was dedicated to being the best race car driver he could be, and it showed on the track.

I wanted to be a racer since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a race car driver had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a race car driver was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Tony Stewart in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a NASCAR champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation race car driver. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional race car drivers in history. By 40 years-old.

Tony Stewart was only forty three, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Joey Logano, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice on the track, and that that same man could run over another guy only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Danica, and not for their child.

Tony Stewart owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Saturdays and Sundays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Tony Stewart is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Tony Stewart was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wait it's a parody post from a goon meltdown.

Yeah that's the Chris Benoit post. It's still great to see it used right. They did a decent job with that one.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
So looks like Cleveland fans are setting themselves up for a whole boatload of heart ache when they demand Johnny Manziel start and leads his team to a 1-7 start while Hoyer gets traded away to a team he might be able to win it's division with him

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cleveland is, shockingly, a competitive team if Josh Gordon is in the lineup and Hoyer is healthy. That division is as weak as my erection and they've got a pretty solid young core.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Cleveland is, shockingly, a competitive team if Josh Gordon is in the lineup and Hoyer is healthy. That division is as weak as my erection and they've got a pretty solid young core.

We'll see if the end of August brings the annual "Steelers lose 2 Starting Offensive Lineman for the Season", otherwise yeah.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SquirrelyPSU posted:

We'll see if the end of August brings the annual "Steelers lose 2 Starting Offensive Lineman for the Season", otherwise yeah.

Winning the opener in Pittsburgh against Ben would make me so happy I wouldn't care if we lost the next 15.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flikken posted:

Winning the opener in Pittsburgh against Ben would make me so happy I wouldn't care if we lost the next 15.

The offense is going to be better than most people think, the defense is going to be worse. I'm thinking like 9-7 with a couple of just hilarious poo poo stompings in there and maybe back door into the Wild Card.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The offense is going to be better than most people think, the defense is going to be worse. I'm thinking like 9-7 with a couple of just hilarious poo poo stompings in there and maybe back door into the Wild Card.

You're talking about Pittsburgh right?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
:nws:"Bottomless for Browns":nws: is apparently a legit thing online now, according to the Browns subreddit. I may have to start rooting for them as my second team this year.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: Goddamn.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Any interest in a gip fantasy foosball league this year? I've got 3 guys so far and will most likely set it up on ESPN unless there's a better free site out there I don't know about. Holla at me boyz.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Steelers Running Back Depth Chart just got popped with weed charges. Hoooraaaaaay

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
can't w8 4 the steelers to implode in glorious fashion

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kyle Orton is now a Buffalo Bill.

Today is loving amazing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Kyle Orton is now a Buffalo Bill.

Today is loving amazing.

YEEES! The fact that drunk is still in the league makes me so happy. Got a free Orton jersey when he poo poo the bed during one of the '03 games and someone tossed it toward the field. Gonna wear it tomorrow when I get drunk and disappointed that Purdue will lose to MACtion.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Best part is, Orton is now the best QB buffalo has

he's going to start

week 1 vs chicago

life is incredible

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Kyle Orton's face offends me.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Michael Sam cut from the Rams :lol:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Michael Sam cut from the Rams :lol:

That team is stacked at defense, he'll find a spot somewhere else.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

cant wait for the riots

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Flikken posted:

That team is stacked at defense, he'll find a spot somewhere else.

Yeah, he did well in Preseason, someone will grab him.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
there should be a contest for the sjw-est post concerning Michael Sam. consideration should be given to people who readily admit to never watching "those dumb sportsball things."

e - i just found the amazing hilarity of the Seminoles playing the okie state cowboys. The trail of tears will originate from Oklahoma this time, tho.

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 31, 2014

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Michael Sam cleared waivers. Nobody wanted him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What did he major in in college?

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

feminine studies

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Welp Welker. At least he's not on my fantasy team, but I do have Manning so that's not ideal.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

internet jerk posted:

Welp Welker. At least he's not on my fantasy team, but I do have Manning so that's not ideal.

Manning has the Thomas's and Sanders. He'll be fine.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Sam got signed to the Cowboys practice squad

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

now dallas has 54 gay players

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

the dad farm posted:

now dallas has 54 gay players

This is a good dad burn.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Victor Vermis posted:

This is a good dad burn.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Seattle fans are dead set on being worse than Patriots fans, it seems.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seattle fans are dead set on being worse than Patriots fans, it seems.

They are doing a good job.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

zombie303 posted:

They are doing a good job.

If the next holocaust is solely directed at Seattle fans I'd be completely on board

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pats fans are just 21st century Cowboys fans.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Virginia Tech beat OSU in the Horseshoe last night. loving huge.

• Locked thread