Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hate to say it, but as excited as I am about the four Netflix series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage), I'm worried that Cage can maintain a solo series. I imagine the other characters will appear in his episodes, but Cage is a character that works best interacting with others: with Iron Fist, Misty, and Colleen for years in Heroes For Hire, with Jessica in Alias, in New Avengers, and leading the Thunderbolts. He's never had a rogues' gallery or a supporting cast, aside from all of those affiliations.

That's why I'd love to see a Thunderbolts movie that introduces Cage as a wrongfully-sentenced criminal among the other supervillains, but the movie would quickly make clear that he's a good dude who got a raw deal, setting him up for his Netflix series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I hate to say it, but as excited as I am about the four Netflix series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage), I'm worried that Cage can maintain a solo series. I imagine the other characters will appear in his episodes, but Cage is a character that works best interacting with others: with Iron Fist, Misty, and Colleen for years in Heroes For Hire, with Jessica in Alias, in New Avengers, and leading the Thunderbolts. He's never had a rogues' gallery or a supporting cast, aside from all of those affiliations.

That's why I'd love to see a Thunderbolts movie that introduces Cage as a wrongfully-sentenced criminal among the other supervillains, but the movie would quickly make clear that he's a good dude who got a raw deal, setting him up for his Netflix series.

I guess his solo series that lasted 50 issues never happened.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I guess his solo series that lasted 50 issues never happened.

I know it exists, but I've never read it, and I couldn't name any important stories or characters from it. Before Bendis pushed Cage to the forefront, he was kind of a joke -- the yellow shirt, chain belt, tiara, and "Sweet Christmas!" That solo series was from a very different era, and everything he's been in over the last 15 years has him as part of an ensemble. Don't get me wrong, I like Cage a lot, but he doesn't have a lot of well-known or well-loved solo history to mine for a TV series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 10, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He doesn't have to. He's a man who was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and upon his escape, changes his name and decides to make a living as a freelance superhuman. You can get more than a season's worth of plots out of that premise without having to do live-action Mr. Fish.

That said, I'll be kind of disappointed if that dude with the multi-barreled shotgun doesn't show up. That was all you had to do to be a supervillain in the '70s: add more than two barrels to a twelve-gauge and it was off to the races.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Have both the Iron Fist and Cage netflix series end with them realizing they can fight crime better together.

Its just too bad we'll never see that moment from New Avengers where they find out who Spiderman is and Jessica reveals she had the biggest crush on Parker in high school.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I hate to say it, but as excited as I am about the four Netflix series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage), I'm worried that Cage can maintain a solo series.

Racist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Let's not go there. He has the least amount of pre-existing material they can draw from -- that's all I meant, and you know that. But Luke Cage: Hero For Hire could be turn out to be a fine a procedural show with a different case (and villain?) in each episode. And if they introduce his series after Jessica Jones and Iron Fist, they could always show up too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Let's not go there. He has the least amount of pre-existing material they can draw from -- that's all I meant, and you know that. But Luke Cage: Hero For Hire could be turn out to be a fine a procedural show with a different case (and villain?) in each episode. And if they introduce his series after Jessica Jones and Iron Fist, they could always show up too.

Luke Cage has less existing material than Jessica Jones?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Luke Cage has less existing material than Jessica Jones?

Familiar, adaptable, TV-friendly storylines, sure. Alias is already structured like a TV series, the way 2000s-era comics often are. But Luke has been teamed up with Danny or appearing in Bendis-written comics as long as anyone remembers or has been paying attention. His '70s solo stories are pretty much forgotten or unknown. That's all I meant, and I didn't mean to stir up any unnecessary controversy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Luke's also got a couple of solo stories from Bendis's New Avengers, like the bit Ewing just referenced where he and Jessica tracked down his father; the Azzarello/Corbin MAX miniseries; his short-lived '90s series; and forty years of incidental appearances in other books, including a strong starring role in the early '70s Defenders. It's not that he doesn't have much, but rather that a big chunk of his early stories are probably too controversial to touch.

If anything, I'd argue that Danny's worse off than he is, since so many of his recent solo stories involve one of three plots: his relationship with Misty, his father's proud legacy of being a complete toolbox, and/or terrible things happening back in K'un-lun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, the first Iron Fist run where he leaves Kun Lun and tracks down his father's killer(?) could be a pretty good mini-series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was the Luke Cage Max series any good? He also had a Marvel Noir mini that I only read about half of, but what I read was decent.

Luke Cage should actually be one of the easier things to adapt, at least for opening arcs. A man, just released from prison, comes back to his old neighborhood irrevocably changed, him and the people he knew before going to jail deal navigate the new him.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If anything I'm more curious about how the Iron Fist Netflix show will be handled. I wonder if they'll have the kind of budget that a K'un L'un story would require.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Was the Luke Cage Max series any good?

I like it well enough. It's Brian Azzarello doing a Cage-flavored arc of 100 Bullets, and Corbin's art is pretty much everything you'd expect out of him.

Some people hate it like rats, though, which is to be expected.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I wouldn't mind Luke Cage being a fairly "Black Dynamite" joke character. There's going to be enough brooding serious characterization between Daredevil and Iron Fist alone, I'd rather see him just being the light hearted jokester to Iron Fist's straight serious disciplined nature.

Dacap posted:

If anything I'm more curious about how the Iron Fist Netflix show will be handled. I wonder if they'll have the kind of budget that a K'un L'un story would require.

I'd guess they might not even bother to go there. While that's integral to the story in comics, K'un L'un could just as well be a Karate Dojo in Chinatown that has a dragon statue that comes alive and Danny's a student that fights it and the legend becomes real. While I love the mythos and would flip my poo poo if I ever saw a trilogy of The Immortal Iron Fist in cinematic form, for what they're trying to do with a street team here, I think it's in their best interest to stay away from as much of the larger universe as possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PaybackJack posted:

I wouldn't mind Luke Cage being a fairly "Black Dynamite" joke character.

I've said it before, but doing a blacksploitation character ironically still leaves you with doing blacksploitation in 2014. Black Dynamite's really funny, but it's also a personal project by a black director.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, the first Iron Fist run where he leaves Kun Lun and tracks down his father's killer(?) could be a pretty good mini-series.

I would love that, only because the, "No! Come back here and kill me!" scene could be killer acted out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I think it would be pretty easy to adapt 70's K'un Lun. It was pretty much just a nice office.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lurdiak posted:

I've said it before, but doing a blacksploitation character ironically still leaves you with doing blacksploitation in 2014. Black Dynamite's really funny, but it's also a personal project by a black director.

So the same director couldn't take up Luke Cage and do a similar series but live action? I'm not saying it has to be completely over the top but I like the idea of having the next black marvel hero be humorous instead of another extremely serious character that we've seen from Fury, Deathlok, and Falcon.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

So the same director couldn't take up Luke Cage and do a similar series but live action? I'm not saying it has to be completely over the top but I like the idea of having the next black marvel hero be humorous instead of another extremely serious character that we've seen from Fury, Deathlok, and Falcon.

Have you actually seen Captain America 2? I can't imagine anyone who has describing Falcon as EXTREMELY SERIOUS

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Have you actually seen Captain America 2? I can't imagine anyone who has describing Falcon as EXTREMELY SERIOUS

Alright he had some not serious lines, but I have a hard time calling a guy who's main character point is "disillusioned middle eastern war veteran" a comedy character.

I also forgot about Don Cheadle, who they lightened up considerably in the third movie. My point was that the leader of the Heroes could be a fun loving Luke Cage who's teamed up with brooding vigilante Daredevil, I'm-not-serious-I'm-meditating Iron Fist, and pissed of former victim Jessica Jones; and it's Cage's job to lighten them all up and remind them that being a hero can be fun.

I guess another way to say it would be that I feel like Arrow is already doing a good job as a street level crime fighting hero show, and I think just seeing the marvel version of that would be boring.

Senor Candle posted:

How does it feel to live in a black and white world?

That's a nice over exaggeration of my opinion, but since I let the dog off the chain with some hyperbole I guess I deserve it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 11, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Alright he had some not serious lines, but I have a hard time calling a guy who's main character point is "disillusioned middle eastern war veteran" a comedy character.

How does it feel to live in a black and white world?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

No he can't, because he's Bronze Tiger.

Michael Jai White has actually been campaigning to be Luke Cage for years.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 11, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anyone read this thing on Axis?
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54736

I'm suddenly kinda very worried. :psyduck:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Holy hell. I started squirming a little when I saw them mentioning alignment so often - this isn't D&D, guys, you can't just slap a helm of opposite alignment on Tony Stark - but then I got to the part about Kluh. This is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anyone read this thing on Axis?
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54736

I'm suddenly kinda very worried. :psyduck:

I do not know. It looks so batshit insane, and I can not wait to read it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was kinda glad thinking this would probably "HAVE RAMIFICATIONS IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE" the same way every event was, but then they talk about Thor and it looks like him becoming unworthy is simply because Loki made everyone switch sides or whatever. :ohdear:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That sounds loving terrible.

"After introductions, Marvel PR guru Chris D'Lando kicked off the call with a quick explanation of "AXIS" and the "recalibration of the Marvel Universe's moral compass" in "Inversion," which features Marvel heroes and villains having their roles inverted."

"It's not going to be one thing from A to Z. I veer the wheel a few times, crash the car, careen off the cliff, go onto an embankment, meet a homeless guy and play the harmonica."

"Flipping his alignment turns him back into who he was, which shows the growth the character has had since his first appearance," (In regards to Iron Man)

"this is all fireworks factory. There is no lead-up,"

"While we're going to be jumping ahead eight months, 'Avengers' and 'New Avengers' are going to be telling their stories. You're going to get hints and teases as it's going," said Brevoort. "We don't want to reveal Iron Man's new setup before he's inverted in 'AXIS.' That's only two issues later, all we have to do is not use Iron Man for two issues. … It should all work alright."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

One bit I "love" is that apparently there was an early draft with Captain Falcon flying around and saving tons of people, but that was taken off and he just has a few conflicts with X-men.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I was kinda glad thinking this would probably "HAVE RAMIFICATIONS IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE" the same way every event was, but then they talk about Thor and it looks like him becoming unworthy is simply because Loki made everyone switch sides or whatever. :ohdear:

Who knew it was as simple as flipping the switch from "good guys are good guys" to "good guys are bad guys"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"But it's not that simple, they're not just switching sides, for example, Tony will become basically a bad guy and drink again, meanwhile, Carnage will be a good guy and not kill and Sabretooth is going to get a conscious and stop killing, see? see how they're not simply switching sides??????"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Loki does it, it might literally be a switch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seems to me as though Remender's the first (?) big-name writer who's made nostalgia for X-Men books from the 1990s his stock-in-trade.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

If Loki does it, it might literally be a switch.

And that'd be fun.

I think my issue is that they're going to devote about a year to these characters with a good guy switch turned down, if it were just for the event, then yeah, go hog wild, the battle's about to get good when Loki literally flips a switch and suddenly Iron Man feels he doesn't have enough booze in his system and that now that Steve Jobs is dead he's got a good field to get cash on.

Right now it just sounds like the exact opposite of Original Sin.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Seems to me as though Remender's the first (?) big-name writer who's made nostalgia for X-Men books from the 1990s his stock-in-trade.

Mike Carey was on that tip for a while.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Right now it just sounds like the exact opposite of Original Sin.
Uatu brings Nick Fury back to life in front of everyone, and then Fury makes everyone not hang out with their best friends. Then Uatu winks at everyone and they forget the last thing they did.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Kluh sounds like an idea that would come from the New 52. Really, everything about this event sounds like something that would be in the New 52.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

HorseRenoir posted:

Kluh sounds like an idea that would come from the New 52. Really, everything about this event sounds like something that would be in the New 52.

It's sounds like an idea Loeb would have done in his Red Hulk run

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

And the editor in charge of DC's entire New 52 line is... the same editor who was in charge of the X-Men in the 1990s. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Yes, and now I'm a bit worried. Hesitantly optimistic, but still worried.

• Locked thread