Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I had a serious thought about it, then realized that I have two good modern decks and I ought to stop buying loving magic cards. I can't play all the decks.

Fair point. I am near the end of my enlistment in the Air Force and after that I plan to move to Seattle to go to college. I sold off my collection about a year ago due to not having anywhere close to play (stupid decision now because I had a play set of all the shock lands, 8 snap asters, 3 LOTV, a dark confidant and a Tarmogoyf). So I want to break into Modern and I really enjoyed Jund when I played standard, so I figured I would play Modern Jund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sotar posted:

Fair point. I am near the end of my enlistment in the Air Force and after that I plan to move to Seattle to go to college. I sold off my collection about a year ago due to not having anywhere close to play (stupid decision now because I had a play set of all the shock lands, 8 snap asters, 3 LOTV, a dark confidant and a Tarmogoyf). So I want to break into Modern and I really enjoyed Jund when I played standard, so I figured I would play Modern Jund.

I have come around from hating Jund (didn't have it, cool to hate the popular deck) to really liking it and how it plays. But I have affinity and RG Tron built, both are solid decks and I need to stop trying to have all the magic cards. Just a personal thing, I'm a loving hoarder and I go deep on hobbies.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I have come around from hating Jund (didn't have it, cool to hate the popular deck) to really liking it and how it plays. But I have affinity and RG Tron built, both are solid decks and I need to stop trying to have all the magic cards. Just a personal thing, I'm a loving hoarder and I go deep on hobbies.

Oh I absolutely get it. I am much the same way. I switched decks so often in Standard that I never actually learned one. Now I know the best thing to do is pick a deck, and learn it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sotar posted:

Oh I absolutely get it. I am much the same way. I switched decks so often in Standard that I never actually learned one. Now I know the best thing to do is pick a deck, and learn it.

Can't go wrong with BGx imo. Get the fetches goyfs lili and bobs and then you have 3 really good deck options open to you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UberJew posted:

That's weird, because the Mindslaver lock should be able to win pretty quickly even if all it does is have the opponent draw and tap all their lands every turn until they deck while Academy Ruins recurring Mindslaver is keeping them from having to draw any new cards and make any new decisions. Bitterblossom should make it faster, if anything.

You can't tap the Faerie tokens so I could just keep blocking, not to mention his Wurmcoil couldn't block the tokens even if he wanted it to. MTGO tournaments are chess-timed so if an individual player times out they lose. There's no reason to scoop when its going to take him 10 minutes to even execute a kill and then lose on time. There's a reason people don't play the Floch deck on MTGO.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 10, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

The real answer is play every deck in Modern by playing Mono U Tron.

I mindslavered a Scapeshift Deck that had 7 lands on board, and scapeshift in hand.

I squealed with glee when I killed him with his own wincon. :getin:

You've a bigger man than I am.
I don't think I could have resisted the urge to fail to find all 7 lands.

Sotar posted:

On the plus side, those Goyf, Confidant, and Lilis have won me several boxes worth of packs in legacy.

Also, I would strongly considering Junk instead of Jund in modern. Jund has lost so much power from losing Deathrite. I don't care what anyone says, Courser has no place in Jund.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

You go to FNM and don't find 2-4 people who aren't playing tier 1 decks? Every single person at FNM is spending whatever $$ to have a t1 deck? That is weirder than not man.

In an FNM of 40 people, sometimes. That's a large size but barely 5% of the field. But that's not what I was describing: people here talk as if FNM is a safe haven of rogue decks that can do well and even take the top spots. That is what I was responding to. I have never experienced this no matter where I play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Deofuta posted:

An alternative answer to Modern is to maindeck 4 bloodmoons and watch as tier 1 decks attempt to play with very fancy looking mountains.

I'm running Goblins in Modern and can't decide what card #60 should be, I'm strongly considering throwing in a single Blood Moon for laughs if I can find one cheap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LaTex Fetish posted:

I'm sure you can take time to find a store that houses players such as "I'm creative and don't netdeck" and "I only play for fun!" and the venerable "Yeah, I don't really care, just here cause nothing else to do."

Funny enough those players are almost all playing tier 1 decks where I've played. I personally am part of category 1 and 3 but what I've learned is that, especially playing control, there are only a viable number of cards in each set and I inevitably end up making the tier 1 net deck anyway.

But honestly I guess part of the atmosphere here in the nova area where I spend most of my time is driven by the fact that SCG opens and PTQs are so plentiful and nearby that many players treat FNM merely as practice for the big events.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

You've a bigger man than I am.
I don't think I could have resisted the urge to fail to find all 7 lands.

On the plus side, those Goyf, Confidant, and Lilis have won me several boxes worth of packs in legacy.

Also, I would strongly considering Junk instead of Jund in modern. Jund has lost so much power from losing Deathrite. I don't care what anyone says, Courser has no place in Jund.

I am going to try Jund right now. I was never going to use Courser. I guess I will wait to see what the local meta is using. Regardless the shell is going to be the same and the expensive bits will be used in every BGx variant.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Deofuta posted:

An alternative answer to Modern is to maindeck 4 bloodmoons and watch as tier 1 decks attempt to play with very fancy looking mountains.

This is actually very cool - tap some basic islands and plains and go to town with a sweet revelation for 5 off a bunch of foil fetches. :3:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

In an FNM of 40 people, sometimes. That's a large size but barely 5% of the field. But that's not what I was describing: people here talk as if FNM is a safe haven of rogue decks that can do well and even take the top spots. That is what I was responding to. I have never experienced this no matter where I play.

People in my area are more likely to put their money into EDH and modern than they are standard. There are very few t1 standard decks. We have standard every Thursday, and then FNM is modern/limited alternating weeks, with a 2nd FNM usually draft after the first one most weeks. My LGS is really atypical though, its basically a bunch of successful guys who hated the other LGS in town, so they opened their own space with no expectation of profit. The store pays for itself and its basically a giant club house. They sell yearly memberships and give people keys to the place, so you can show up if someone has the place open for casual play. There are at least 8 people who can run reporter. They have video monitoring to prevent any lovely behaviour plus the place is pretty self policing.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sotar posted:

I am going to try Jund right now. I was never going to use Courser. I guess I will wait to see what the local meta is using. Regardless the shell is going to be the same and the expensive bits will be used in every BGx variant.
Use that Courser you little poo poo.
Yeah Junk and GB are better than Jund now, but Jund is still good. Buy all the pieces so you can interchange decks, it's fun as hell.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't tap the Faerie tokens so I could just keep blocking, not to mention his Wurmcoil couldn't block the tokens even if he wanted it to. MTGO tournaments are chess-timed so if an individual player times out they lose. There's no reason to scoop when its going to take him 10 minutes to even execute a kill and then lose on time. There's a reason people don't play the Floch deck on MTGO.

Oh it was on MTGO, that's the confusion then.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh hey KCW's team is on camera right now

Go KCW (and your team)! I'm sorry you have to play against this loving ridiculous team!

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

neetengie posted:

Use that Courser you little poo poo.
Yeah Junk and GB are better than Jund now, but Jund is still good. Buy all the pieces so you can interchange decks, it's fun as hell.

I would rather maindeck Anger of the Gods instead of using Courser.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Lol KCW playing against Yuuya Watanabe who has Liliana at 8 and Jace at 9.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sotar posted:

I would rather maindeck Anger of the Gods instead of using Courser.
What prevents you from using both?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

People in my area are more likely to put their money into EDH and modern than they are standard. There are very few t1 standard decks. We have standard every Thursday, and then FNM is modern/limited alternating weeks, with a 2nd FNM usually draft after the first one most weeks. My LGS is really atypical though, its basically a bunch of successful guys who hated the other LGS in town, so they opened their own space with no expectation of profit. The store pays for itself and its basically a giant club house. They sell yearly memberships and give people keys to the place, so you can show up if someone has the place open for casual play. There are at least 8 people who can run reporter. They have video monitoring to prevent any lovely behaviour plus the place is pretty self policing.

That is really cool. One shop here does yearly/monthly memberships which means free constructed tournaments - you can practically grind another year's worth in store credit in under a month playing maybe 5-10 tournaments. People still go with tier 1 decks lol. Though to be fair they do it for the same reason I do it: to get that underground sea that's been sitting on the shelf for months.

I wish we had modern FNMs anywhere and the one place that does it only does it once a month. Oddly enough I think it's the modern/legacy days when people are likely to show up with rogue decks that are usually filled with cards people had lying around because why not.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

neetengie posted:

What prevents you from using both?

I just think Courser is a little slow. Not a fan of the card.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

the nova area

:colbert: Where in the nova area

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Chill la Chill posted:

This is actually very cool - tap some basic islands and plains and go to town with a sweet revelation for 5 off a bunch of foil fetches. :3:

This is not a thing I have seen happen yet, but oh my would it be amazing. My modern opponents are mainly a hodge podge of pod, rg/u tron, scapeshift, bgx and affinity, with the odd uwr control, boggles, and zoi thrown in occasionally. No revelation matchups, yet!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Feline Longemore's a lot of fun to watch on camera. While everyone else is busy playing with poker faces, she's constantly showing a lot of emotion and excitement and not giving a single drat of what the other person can read off of it. It's pretty refreshing.

Granted, it doesn't matter what the other person thinks once you go infinite.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 10, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Last modern tourney I played skred red, capable of T1 blood moons. I played merfolk, 8rack and soul sisters. gently caress this gay earth.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Molybdenum posted:

Last modern tourney I played skred red, capable of T1 blood moons. I played merfolk, 8rack and soul sisters. gently caress this gay earth.

Sounds pretty rough, sometimes you just gotta sigh and board out the moons. I imagine even more wrath effects and combust would make merfolk a bit more tolerable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deofuta posted:

Sounds pretty rough, sometimes you just gotta sigh and board out the moons. I imagine even more wrath effects and combust would make merfolk a bit more tolerable.

I know for a damned fact that Combust makes Merfolk upset.

As does Fiery Justice, but that's another bag of needles.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had 4 bolt, 4 skred, 3 anger main. I sided out 3 moons (had a 3/3 split) for 2 combust and and a relic (figured the can trip was worth more than a dead card). Didn't matter. Oh well. I'm playing infect this week. So much tron in my meta.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
What's the general "Sleeve Suggestion" again? KMC Perfect Fits into KMC Supers?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

I recommend Hyper Matte over Supers a whole lot. Hyper Mattes shuffle and handle really nicely, but the Supers are those thicker sort of semi-gloss kind that are really chunky and get tacky as gently caress and hard to shuffle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bertoncheaty didn't top 8 this weekend. Good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Bertoncheaty didn't top 8 this weekend. Good.

What is the history here?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

KMC perfect fits into KMC Matte is what I have always used. They don't break as fast as supers in my experience.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Bertocini is well known for attempting to cheat left and right in games. His favorite trick is to try and sleight of hand his way to victory using Explore.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 10, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

He's a cheater.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Also whenever he gets caught he talks it off as just sloppy play and if a Judge gets called in he makes every attempt to talk them down from giving him a Warning (stays on his DCI record, too many opens him up to investigation) to just giving him a Caution (doesn't stick, doesn't get him investigated).

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Also whenever he gets caught he talks it off as just sloppy play and if a Judge gets called in he makes every attempt to talk them down from giving him a Warning (stays on his DCI record, too many opens him up to investigation) to just giving him a Caution (doesn't stick, doesn't get him investigated).

what a big oval office waffle

Cernunnos posted:

I used the suggestion of KMC Perfect Fit into Hyper Mattes and they have been working flawlessly. No bent corners yet, mash shuffles wonderfully. Worth the money.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As someone who can't really buy into or find places to play Legacy, but who loves to follow it, it seems like it holds out just enough of the hope of being a wide-open card pool where you can play your favorite deck that occasionally you'll see genuinely neat poo poo like werewolf prison or leylines, and there's stuff like elves or enchantress that are interesting without being a comedy option, but the face of the format is still stuff like Sneak & Show, Delver decks, and other poo poo that really milks the ability to run 4 Brainstorm 4 Ponder.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Weird poo poo crops up in Legacy all the time because:

It a fairly diverse format (every deck on there has multiple viable variations) but almost everything in it is prohibitively expensive.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PT Dewey and GP Vancouver are now Modern

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/modern-pro-tour-2015-2014-08-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I was quite willing to accept their reasoning for shifting Modern off the pro tour and onto the GP circuit, at least for a season or two, but this is all the better. 3 Standard / 1 modern PTs seems like a good split.

• Locked thread