Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Assuming you did want to grind, where are the best spots to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Regalingualius posted:

Don't worry about grinding too much. You'll get the opportunity to unlock the final job midway through that or the next chapter (I can never remember which), and it comes with a learnable ability that makes it extremely easy to max out the jobs you want.

???

JP up is freelancer.

If you're grinding jobs, outside Florem. Little packs of six plant dudes will yells 840 or so JP.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sockser posted:

???

JP up is freelancer.

If you're grinding jobs, outside Florem. Little packs of six plant dudes will yells 840 or so JP.

I meant the Conjurer's ability.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The final job is in chapter 6, max it and Freelancer out for the JP Up and Experience Up abilities and buy four Growth Eggs from Norende. Your levels will skyrocket.

But yeah it's all downhill from chapter 5. Chapter 7 starts having interesting side quests again but they're still the same bosses, you just fight them in different ways. Way too little too late.

edit: the Growth Egg is from the level 10 accessories shop, not actually sure whether you need four or just one.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 6, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

Assuming you did want to grind, where are the best spots to do that?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I borrowed this game about two weeks ago, and it's awesome. I love the job system. I've been grinding jobs to max level in Vampire Castle for almost a week now and I'm still not bored.

Go to chapter five+, hang out just outside florem

If you hit chapter six, use the ability from the new job to make it go even faster

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: the Growth Egg is from the level 10 accessories shop, not actually sure whether you need four or just one.

Just the one applies party-wide.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Scrap Dragon posted:

So I just made it to Chapter 5 and :negative:

I was just starting to really enjoy this game too. What's the best way to proceed from here?

Brace yourself for the knowledge that you're going to have to do this three more times. :unsmigghh:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I don't think JP Up and a Growth Egg stack. And you only need one Growth Egg.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They don't stack.

Though, for some reason More Money and the Gold Egg do.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Chapter 8 boss rebattles are loving me, particularly the Bloodrose Legion and the Black Blades.

Einheria hits a crescent moon that takes out my Rampart and the other three tear me up
Or the black blades just all hit me like 5 loving times and take me out in one turn.

Had no problem with Heinkel and company or the Khamer-Profiteur Mechantry, but these two are just loving wrecking me. For reference,

Ringabel - Natural Talent Monk / Templar
Edea - Ninja / Pirate (Thinking of swapping out pirate for performer)
Agnes - Spiritmaster / White Mage (She spends most turns doing nothing, so I think I could make a change here)
Tiz - Red Mage / Salvemaker

Any suggestions for a change of strategy?

Also,
Blew up a crystal and took down Airy with 0 loving problems. Why can goddamned DeRosa of all people wreck me harder than the 'final' boss?!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Swordmaster instead of Ninja for Edea is what comes immediately to mind. Free Lunch lets you use Amped Strike for no MP cost and the counter hits from physical attacks add up after a while.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sockser posted:

Also,
Blew up a crystal and took down Airy with 0 loving problems. Why can goddamned DeRosa of all people wreck me harder than the 'final' boss?!

The chapter 8 fights are very much superbosses. Don't worry, the true final boss battles are tougher. Airy's final form is probably the hardest story fight in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sockser posted:

Why can goddamned DeRosa of all people wreck me harder than the 'final' boss?!

Being a disgusting rapist gives you super strength.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Swordmaster instead of Ninja for Edea is what comes immediately to mind. Free Lunch lets you use Amped Strike for no MP cost and the counter hits from physical attacks add up after a while.

Free lunch Amped strikes are cool, but she's finally hitting for over 9999 per BP :shobon:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

TheSpiritFox posted:

Alright, this is my "Kill anything up to and including the final final final boss on normal difficulty" party. Except for the stupid rear end nemesis dudes who are designed to destroy any party not designed to kill them specifically.

Thanks for this. I'd put down the game in chapter 6 after using the Conjurer to max out everyone's classes due to a bit of decision paralysis and this party was just what I needed to get going again. Just finished all the chapter 7 sidequest fights without too much trouble. I like this combo because you can't just autobattle to win, it does require a bit of reactivity at times (particularly against certain bosses).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So against Praline, Jackal and Kahmer, who should I kill first, Kahmer or Praline?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Always kill Praline first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Always kill Praline first.

Yup pretty much.

Unless you like have the enemies endlessly buffed.

Though "kill" doesn't work, exactly. :v: I think she and Braev are the only antagonist Asterisk holders to never die. :v:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The later battle, against Barbarossa, Praline, Kamiizumi, Qada, and Ninja Girl, I elect to kill Barbarossa first because having Kamiizumi and Barbarossa both out at once is a death sentence for sure.

Though I got that fight down to Kamiizumi and Ninja last night before they broke through rampart and wrecked my healer and then I died :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Though "kill" doesn't work, exactly. :v: I think she and Braev are the only antagonist Asterisk holders to never die. :v:

Well, he's on Chapter 7 and nobody dies in that chapter. And the Asterisk Holders who survive are Praline, Braev, Alternis (shown in the True Ending along with Edea and Braev), Yulyana, and DeRosso. The latter two don't count as antagonists, though, I suppose.

Sockser posted:

The later battle, against Barbarossa, Praline, Kamiizumi, Qada, and Ninja Girl, I elect to kill Barbarossa first because having Kamiizumi and Barbarossa both out at once is a death sentence for sure.

Though I got that fight down to Kamiizumi and Ninja last night before they broke through rampart and wrecked my healer and then I died :smith:

Go for Kikyo first. She will WRECK you with her Shippujinrai otherwise.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

How long do I have to mash X before this crystal breaks holy poo poo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

My favorite part is how it keeps interrupting you with dialog. The mash X segments were irritating as it is but they really went out of their way with that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Not yet. Just a little longer. :unsmigghh:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not yet. Just a little longer. :unsmigghh:

The good jokes get taken so fast these days.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
After a while you realize why the Eternians don't want agnes anywhere near the Crystals.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I just started playing this and it seems real neat. I have 0 3DS friends though let alone ones that play this game. I added Akarshi, Hobgoblin and Scrap Dragon from 2 pages back.

My FC is 2664-2150-4806. I'll throw myself on the spreadsheet next time I'm at a computer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Scrap Dragon posted:

If you aren't getting Airy freakouts within like 10 seconds you're not pressing fast enough. I ran into a similar issue in that I was casually pressing it, so the event didn't end but I also didn't make any actual progress.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Geektox posted:

I just started playing this and it seems real neat. I have 0 3DS friends though let alone ones that play this game. I added Akarshi, Hobgoblin and Scrap Dragon from 2 pages back.

My FC is 2664-2150-4806. I'll throw myself on the spreadsheet next time I'm at a computer.

Added you, enjoy your max damage Friend Summon! Just, uh, don't use it on anything that absorbs Lightning.

Tortolia posted:

If you aren't getting Airy freakouts within like 10 seconds you're not pressing fast enough. I ran into a similar issue in that I was casually pressing it, so the event didn't end but I also didn't make any actual progress.

Thanks. This was exactly my problem.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Geektox posted:

Added you, I just picked this up myself. My friend code is on the spreadsheet.

What's the contact list for? I guess so people know it's not some stranger adding them at random?

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 10, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

sitchelin posted:

Added you, I just picked this up myself. My friend code is on the spreadsheet.

What's the contact list for? I guess so people know it's not some stranger adding them at random?

I'll add you once I get home. If you're talking about the spreadsheet I imagine it was so the thread wasn't filled with FC posts back when people were more actively discussing the game

e: Oh I just your entry in the spreadsheet. People put down contact info because in 2014 Nintendo still doesn't understand the concept of a friend invite. When you add someone they are not notified in any way. Both sides have to add each other.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 10, 2014

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

things i've heard about this game horrify and intrigue me. I added a bunch of people in the spreadsheet and put my info up. Gotta get....friend points....

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress Mephilia. There's a difference between a challenging boss and a truckload of steaming bullshit. I got wiped 3 times before going "gently caress this poo poo" and dropping the difficulty down to easy. gently caress everything about that boss.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What's so hard about Mephilia? Just have some status resistances in case her guards pull some crap. She physically attacks two or three turns in a row before summoning Girtablulu and she never uses Brave in conjunction with her Summon. Just Default on the turn you know it's coming.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah you just need to make sure you buff yourself enough to survive the Summon, default on that turn. Also kill one guard and paralyze/sleep the other. If one is alive she won't summon more so you can cheese it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

sitchelin posted:

gently caress Mephilia. There's a difference between a challenging boss and a truckload of steaming bullshit. I got wiped 3 times before going "gently caress this poo poo" and dropping the difficulty down to easy. gently caress everything about that boss.

Hahahaha Just wait a few chapters buddy :unsmigghh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think Mephilia ever summoned anything any of the times I fought her. She just hit me with her staff.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
She summons Gertie every three turns or so.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mephilia was the easiest boss of her Chapter, so I don't really get why you'd have trouble with her.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Even defaulting that summon would annihilate 3/4th of my HP. And then the extras just magically knew who to single out before I could heal up and the entire fight was just me reviving here and there and making no progress whatsoever. In hindsight I was probably horribly underleveled, seeing as I gained 4 levels after the fight from shamefully ragedropping the difficulty. I bumped it back up to normal and set encounters to +50%, I'm going to be ready for the next dickheaded boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

She summons Gertie every three turns or so.

Never happened to me at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Then you'll be getting some immediate use out of your Summoner job! :v:

Level everyone up to 2 in Summoner, the ability they get then makes one of the optional bosses much more doable.

• Locked thread