Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

That . . . that actually doesn't seem dumb at all. Oh god, the life hacks have finally gotten to me.

Note the 180 degree rotation. Sure, it works for symmetrical stuff, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Tunicate posted:

Yea, exactly, in addition to the stupid hassle of it. The paper and pencil thing someone suggested works great. Just make sure you have a nail file in case you need to grind a mistake off the paper.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

yeah, definitely ruin a six-dollar pint of ice cream to get a couple of spoonfuls that you won't taste because it's stuck between two chemically sweetened supermarket cookies.

Got any other great recipes? Dulce de leche twizzlers? Tictacs foie gras?

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
Because an ice cream sandwich is an example of a delicacy?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Send_Ninjas posted:

Because an ice cream sandwich is an example of a delicacy?

The real lifehack is how to unhinge your jaw to eat that thing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Jelly posted:

Really? Do we really gotta be this lazy? Making me think of those Goober Stripes PB&J combo jars, which looked just as appetizing and efficient:

Even years later, this parody is still dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Unsurprisingly, reddit is chock full of god awful life hacks:
http://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks

Use lovely tape on your laptop to point to the ports as opposed to using the memory in your brain:

This one is described as "Life hack for a hotel with no microwave."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Meatwave posted:

This one made me laugh for some reason, probably because of all the poor life choices that would lead to the moment when you decided to fill a hotel coffee pot with fake cheese.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Meatwave posted:

What kind of sociopath would think that this acceptable?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comments/2czgpu/lifehacks_to_stretchenhance_free_time_for_someone/

quote:

So far Ive figured out how to double viewing time of my DVR shows that I moved to the PC by playing them at a (pitch-preserved) 2x speed, turning a 20minute show into a 10minute show.
This is some Ulillillia level poo poo right here.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Ishamael posted:

This one made me laugh for some reason, probably because of all the poor life choices that would lead to the moment when you decided to fill a hotel coffee pot with fake cheese.

And does that fucker clean the pot out when he's done or does he leave it for the housekeeping staff to deal with it? This one actually pisses me off a little. :mad:

VVV No, the orange stain, chemical odor, and feeling sick after drinking coffee is from some dumbass melting his cheese in the coffee pot.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Aug 10, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Here's a lifehack for hotel coffee makers that THEY don't want you to know. "They" being the DEA.
http://www.waff.com/story/5980064/think-twice-before-using-hotel-room-coffee-pots

quote:

Ask just about anyone in law enforcement, and they'll tell you to be careful if you ever brew coffee in a hotel room.

"I know enough now that whenever I go to a hotel, regardless of how nice it is, I'll never use a coffee pot," said Marshall County District Attorney Steve Marshall.

Instead of brewing coffee, coffee pots are sometimes used to brew methamphetamine.

And since meth labs in hotels aren't anything new, Rick Phillips of the Marshall County Drug Enforcement Unit says there's definitely a risk.

"The coffee makers that you find in every motel room is an ideal heat source. They mix it up in the coffee pot, put it on a heat source and let it sit there and cook," said Phillips.

It's common knowledge to those who fight meth, but a shock to your average citizen.

"That's a little nerve rattling," said Marshall County resident Toni Jones.

"I didn't know that. Proud you told me," said Marshall County resident Daryl Rice.

If you were to drink coffee from a pot used to make meth, it could be hazardous to your health.

The problem is residue from chemicals such as red phosphorus and iodine.

"Typical sickness and issues that would come with any chemical exposure, simple nausea, vomiting to maybe a hospital visit," said Phillips.

Phillips says it's pretty easy to tell if a coffee pot has been used to cook meth.

It will have a dark reddish-orange stain.

You should also be skeptical if there's a chemical odor when you walk in the room.

I am 99% sure this is a hoax. But if it doesn't work in real life, that makes it even more of a lifehack!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My ex bragged about doing this with a portable DVD player so he could watch more stuff during his lunch breaks, so I can verify that someone in the world actually did this. It's as sad now as it was then.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

LIFEHACK: Tired of cold butter ruining your morning toast experience? Hold a knife in the toaster while your bread is toasting, and it'll be nice and hot to soften up that creamy butter.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

You know, he could improve that further by watching two shows simultaneously. Anything further and he'd be stepping beyond God's domain, though.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

nothing gets awake like smelling the fear that I'm waking up in a lan party

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

TVarmy posted:

Here's a lifehack for hotel coffee makers that THEY don't want you to know. "They" being the DEA.
http://www.waff.com/story/5980064/think-twice-before-using-hotel-room-coffee-pots

I am 99% sure this is a hoax. But if it doesn't work in real life, that makes it even more of a lifehack!

I don't know why they chose meth as the drug as choice, which is a freaking chemistry process as anyone who's even heard of Breaking Bad knows. If they had said something like ketamine, maybe that'd be a bit more believable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who the gently caress just carries around lovely processed "cheese" dip with them while travelling?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leper Residue posted:

I don't know why they chose meth as the drug as choice, which is a freaking chemistry process as anyone who's even heard of Breaking Bad knows. If they had said something like ketamine, maybe that'd be a bit more believable.

The method they use in Breaking Bad (the "biker meth" method) is rather complex and difficult to do, however there are a number of ways that are much simpler and less time intensive. While the BB method is still used by large criminal syndicates, your average tweaker probably uses the "shake and bake" method which is dead simple and basically involves throwing all the poo poo into a single container and then hoping it doesn't explode (this is very common).

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Pomp posted:

Who the gently caress just carries around lovely processed "cheese" dip with them while travelling?

it's another lifehack: zesty breakfast drink or last resort fleshlight

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Rad Tad posted:

it's another lifehack: zesty breakfast drink or and last resort fleshlight

Fixed that for you. :barf:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Meatwave posted:

I browsed that place once (and only once) when I first heard about it. The first link I clicked said something like, "A slim, inexpensive alternative to a wallet for minimalists."

Then inside was a picture of goddamned binder clip.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

melon cat posted:

I browsed that place once (and only once) when I first heard about it. The first link I clicked said something like, "A slim, inexpensive alternative to a wallet for minimalists."

Then inside was a picture of goddamned binder clip.

I just found this piece of poo poo article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevindanger/54-uses-for-binder-clips-that-will-change-your-lif-555z

Is there a binder clip fetish that I don't know of?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Meatwave posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevindanger/54-uses-for-binder-clips-that-will-change-your-lif-555z

there are probably enough lovely binder clip and bread tag lifehacks on the internet to write a macgruber sequel

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Meatwave posted:

The phrase "Will Change Your Life" has lost all significant meaning. I mean, yea, using a binder clip to hold up the kitchen sponge so it dries is technically a change in your life, but geesh.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

quote:

8. Emergency Cuff Links

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't help but to think of Louis Tully in Ghostbusters with his Jane Fonda workout video.

". . . got a great workout."

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I never thought I could hate someone so much after seeing so little of them

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Meatwave posted:

Use lovely tape on your laptop to point to the ports as opposed to using the memory in your brain:

both of these can't surely be real?!

it's too drat stupid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Meatwave posted:

My Freshman year of college they tore my dorm down and moved us into a hotel that the University had bought and was converting into a dorm. We were the first bunch of kids that lived there and the hotel coffee pot was still in the room. My roommate made ramen in the pot regularly.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Wanamingo posted:

Even years later, this parody is still dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw

Fool! That takes way too long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRmmLKhkE0

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tunicate posted:

There isn't any rotation involved. The image on the paper is exactly what the wall would "see," since you're scanning that same side.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tunicate posted:

Life hack: if the thing you print out is rotated 180 degrees from what you want, spin the paper around.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Len posted:

My Freshman year of college they tore my dorm down and moved us into a hotel that the University had bought and was converting into a dorm. We were the first bunch of kids that lived there and the hotel coffee pot was still in the room. My roommate made ramen in the pot regularly.

Yeah I've done that when I've been travelling and stuff when you don't really have options for nearby food (Some of the hotels near the airport in Pheonix and San Fran have this issue IIRC). But its the kind of thing you do because you have to not the kind of thing you make infographics for.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Lifehack: 3d print some binderclips to hold your sugru packages closed, then use the money saved and invest in bitcoins.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lifehack: save precious time by not watching youtube videos all the way through

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Stuntman posted:

Playing DVDs at X2 speed.
I recall PowerDVD once advertised time-stretch as a feature for scenarios like watching something on a plane or being able to beat your laptop's battery.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WebDog posted:

I recall PowerDVD once advertised time-stretch as a feature for scenarios like watching something on a plane or being able to beat your laptop's battery.
I kind of wish I'd thought of that when I had to watch some forty episodes of an anime in preparation for translating its second season. That was a grind.

My favorite life hacks are "copycat" recipes for poo poo like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Heinz Ketchup, as though you would save time or money making your own versions of these cheap, ubiquitous products. I guess you get some DIYer cachet? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

Len posted:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah I've done that when I've been travelling and stuff when you don't really have options for nearby food (Some of the hotels near the airport in Pheonix and San Fran have this issue IIRC). But its the kind of thing you do because you have to not the kind of thing you make infographics for.

Lifehack for USA: buy an electric kettle EVEN if it takes 2 minutes to boil the water instead of 1 minute like it does in the rest of the world. If my kettle would suddenly decide to half rear end its job and boil the water 5 minutes longer than it used to, it would probably take me 6 months to notice that something's wrong. Why? Cause nobody hovers over the kettle waiting for it to boil, they just put it on and go do something else and when they come back they find some delicious hot water ready to make tea/coffee/ramen/fake cheese condiment.