Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Also, where on earth did you get that fabulous hair squig? It's so luxurious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

xtothez posted:

That's awesome! Where did those little modern-style Carnifexes come from... are they conversions or is someone out there making decent 6mm Not-Tyranids like some other Epic ranges?

Was that when they did the Fire Prism / Nightspinner rebox sometime during 5th, to get rid of the old metal components?

No it's kinda wierd. One is most certainly the first generation of metal fire prism and the other is also metal but with updated plastics. I have the directions still.
Also the best solution I found to the prism not falling off is suprise suprise magnets and pinning and using a acrylic tube as wide as the old base chopped off to the height I want and placing the model on the tube. Extremely stable.

You can actually see the diffrent guns.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ignite Memories posted:

Also, where on earth did you get that fabulous hair squig? It's so luxurious

One of the tails from a High Elf horse. Specifically, the Isle of Blood starter set.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They updated the Eldar vehicle weapon sprue that comes in all their tank boxes when they released the Wave Serpent and updated War Walkers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

serious gaylord posted:

They updated the Eldar vehicle weapon sprue that comes in all their tank boxes when they released the Wave Serpent and updated War Walkers.

This predates the wave serpents and war walkers by a few years.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

That's a shame to hear because they are far and above as my favorite army. Here's to hoping they get a new codex soon, because I love their models anyway. I want to build an army of them anyway (because 'gently caress it, they're cool!'), but for now, I'd like to play an army with options / that I can have a lot of fun with. I actually got a hold of some Dark Eldar units and their codex for dirty cheap, but I'm contented just painting them until a new codex releases if they're not very good on the field. I have 5x Warriors, 10x Wyches, 2x Succubi, a Haemonculus, a Raider, a Venom, and 2x Ravagers. Also came with a foam carrying case. The troops are assembled (poorly), and so is the Raider, Venom, and one Ravager, and it's all really dusty from sitting around, and some of them have some weird glossy black primer on them, but I payed almost nothing for it.

I WROTE ALL OF THIS poo poo THEN REALIZED YOU'RE NEW TO THE GAME IN GENERAL SO ALL OF THIS IN DEPTH CONSTRUCTION ADVICE IS SORT OF NOT GOING TO BE VERY USEFUL TO YOU BUT HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE WILL FIND IT USEFUL OR AT LEAST ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT IT

I have a lot of fun and success with Dark Eldar on the tabletop. I think calling them weak is a mistake, really. Their one glaring weakness is they have nothing to reliably deal with Imperial Knights, but so far as I can tell they're far from the worst even at that. Splinter cannon venoms and Raiders full of warriors still chew up enemy troop choices by the squad and while your darklight for AV isn't as great as it once was you can just use the Voidraven (the DE fighter is one of the sexiest models in the game) instead. Where they do show their age is in their assault choices--Wyches aren't really going to be suitable for a front line unit/the theme of an army anymore but you can take 9 of them+succubus on a Raider and chop up Terminators before they have a chance to swing back. This is a hefty points investment though and a risky proposition if you're not careful. They can still be a great reactive unit (if your opponent is playing a drop pod list or summoning Bloodletters into your back line) but taking them in significant numbers is asking for trouble.

The pain cult units are pretty universally awful and the only passable FA thing you have is jetbikes. Some people swear by dogs or scourges but those people are wrong.
For your heavy slot it's pretty much Ravagers and airplanes--I like the voidraven better like I said, because it's the only source of AV9 you've got, but the Razorwing is still no slouch.
Elites most of your stuff will be fine (except Mandrakes). Incubi are really, really fun--4 in a Venom with a pretty cheap Archon have beaten Lord Kaldor Draigo and a group of Paladins in CC for me in the past. Probably the smartest use of this slot is to stick 4 Trueborns in a Venom and give them all Blasters.

The tl;dr of all of this is is that if you play to the Dark Eldar's strengths--hot, nasty, badass speed, you will do fine against most codexes new and old. Playing Dark Eldar in this way is sort of like playing Bizarro Jenga--you want to be taking out key pieces as efficiently as possible in order to send the whole thing tumbling down in as few moves as you can. They will feel like the modernest of codices if you play to their strengths but there are a lot of different ways in which you can gently caress yourself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
HQ
Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar , bike , Aura , Level 3 160
Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar , bike , Aura , Level 3 160

Troops
Chaos Cultist 50
Chaos Cultist 50

Fast Attack
Chaos Space Marine 3 Man, Mark of Nurgle w/ 2 Melta Guns 108
Chaos Space Marine 3 Man Mark of Nurgle w/ 2 Melta Guns 108

H. Support
Mauler Fiend 125
Mauler Fiend 125

Aegis Defense Line w/ Comm relay 70

Total : 1060

Ally
Herald of Slaanesh w/ Level 2 , 95
Herald of Slaanesh, Level 2, 95
Herald of Slaanesh Levele 2 95
Troops
15 Daemonettes 135
15 Daemonettes Musician 145

Total 565

Mayhem Pack Melta Melta Melta

Total 300

Total 1935

Okay changed it to a Mayhem pack so I could get that delicious double shooting from a auto cannon but now left with 75 points.

Help Please

I think this is turning into a good list but not sure what to add to it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 10, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm putting together a list for a Tau Kill Team, because I'm in the mood to paint something different (Marines & IG Tanks are getting old) - can you tell me whether or not this would be competitive? I don't need it to be amazeballs, but I'd like to be sure what I'm getting would be fun and at least somewhat sturdy.

Troops (198pts)
XV8 Crisis Team (198pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
Preferred Enemy (Orks) (CC only), Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
Bonding Knife Ritual (3pts) (*)
Crisis Shas'ui (67pts)
Crisis battlesuit, 2x Fusion blaster (30pts), Stimulant injector (15pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Crisis battlesuit, Fusion blaster (15pts), Twin-linked burst cannon (15pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
2x Gun Drone (24pts)
2x Twin-linked pulse carbine

Edit: we don't play much Kill Team, and I don't know much about Tau.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AbusePuppy posted:

-I usually go with the chin Cannon on my Serpents; 10pts for +1 shot, +2 Str, +12" range is a really good deal even if you happen to be snapfiring every turn. And if you don't wanna use the Shield for some reason, it gives you a second weapon to shoot with.

-I don't like the Suncannon WK. It's just too many points for what feels like a sidegrade at the end of the day- I mean, yeah, 5++ is neat and all, but just dipping a toe in terrain gets you a cover save, too. And those S10 guns can solve a lot of problems that are otherwise immune to Wave Serpents and such.

-I much prefer Shadow Weavers to the other artillery batteries; it's cheap as chips, quite tough, and has good range, plus it can hurt almost anything in the game bar a Land Raider. If gives you a way to punish guys who get disembarked and it can snipe out those solo models hiding behind terrain. The D-Cannon isn't awful or anything, but 24" is just really, really short on a static platform.

-I'm not sure why you're running two HQs. Spiritseer doesn't really seem to be doing anything for you here other than maybe throwing a random Psychic Shriek at something- probably points better-spent elsewhere. You don't need to spend 170pts buffing a 150pts unit, especially when they're purely defensive buffs; if any real unit gets into assault there the unit is probably toast, but with the Wraithknights running around that shouldn't be an issue.

With trimming the above stuff you could easily save yourself 100-200pts, which is enough for some FA units (Spyders, Hawks) or more troops (Serpent, Jetbikes) or swapping some DA to Wraithguard for a bit more close-in firepower. Even as-is, though, it's a pretty tough list just due to Wave Serpents and Wraithknights.

This is all good advice. Part of the problem is that I'm looking at least one player who will run 4 Knights, but probably two. So there is a good chance I will face a Knight army.

The D-Cannons give me a lot of more options against that. Anyway, I ended up dropping the Farseer (the Spiritseer will remain for "Conceal/Reveal" on the artillery unit. I initially added the chin cannons on the Serpents but eventually dropped them again in favor of 6 Swooping Hawks with an Exarch/Sunrifle.

As far as the Suncannon goes, I will defend that to the last. I've never had a stock Wraithknight outperform it because it's so incredibly versatile and wrecks any form of infantry and also light vehicles. It really is that worth the 60 points extra. I cannot wait to see what it does to an Ork Trukk mounted army.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I put a bunch of obsolete warhammer army books, warhammer/40k novels, and white dwarf magazines up for sale in SAMart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656866

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm putting together a list for a Tau Kill Team, because I'm in the mood to paint something different (Marines & IG Tanks are getting old) - can you tell me whether or not this would be competitive? I don't need it to be amazeballs, but I'd like to be sure what I'm getting would be fun and at least somewhat sturdy.

Troops (198pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (67pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
2x Gun Drone (24pts)

I don't really play Kill-Team much either but I do play Tau, and I'd want some Plasma Rifles on those suits. 4 Fusion blasters overall seems to be overdoing it a bit when there's (usually) very little heavy armour in a Kill-Team game.

Edit: Also, it won't affect your choices but you should double check the data that your army builder is using: it says it's from Codex: Tau Empire and then says you have Preferred Enemy (Orks) which is a Farsight Enclaves trait.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ineptmule posted:

I don't really play Kill-Team much either but I do play Tau, and I'd want some Plasma Rifles on those suits. 4 Fusion blasters overall seems to be overdoing it a bit when there's (usually) very little heavy armour in a Kill-Team game.

Edit: Also, it won't affect your choices but you should double check the data that your army builder is using: it says it's from Codex: Tau Empire and then says you have Preferred Enemy (Orks) which is a Farsight Enclaves trait.

This is using the Farsight Rules.

Kill Team, as I understand it, makes every model a separate unit, so I figured the AP1 on the Fusion Blaster would make it worthwhile, since I'd only need to tag one wound on them (unless they get good cover) Again, this comes from my very basic understanding of Kill Team.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Troops (198pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (67pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
2x Gun Drone (24pts)

Looks to be the GW version of Kill team, I've played some against Eldar, Tau and Tyrranids and what I learned was the following:

Fire warriors are pretty bad rear end, for Kill team they are very good at their price, since they have a weapon which can damage all foes and 4+ armor for just 9 points.
Each model is stand alone and thus can only fire at one enemy model, be very careful not to take units that will overkill the enemy.
Infiltrate is good, the game is all about cover and getting good lines of sight.
Jetbikes and bikes are very good at getting into places where they can be very annoying.
Gimmicks and special tactics are hard to do with only 200 points, so point efficiency and more wounds have been the key in our games.

This is my best list for Tau, however it is very hard to make a bad army, as long as you bring 7-10 Fire Warriors.
The Kroot infiltrates into some good cover where they have a decent line of fire, Fire warriors move up and reinforces them, Piranha and crisis team exploits any opening your Kroot and Fire warriors make in the enemy line. The short of it is that you want your Kroot and Fire Warriors in 4+ cover, which becomes 3+ at night, as long as you keep firing you will out shoot the enemy.

No Battle Role (Elites) (37pts)

XV8 Crisis Team (37pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)

Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
Crisis Shas'ui (37pts)

Burst cannon (10pts), Crisis battlesuit, Flamer (5pts)

No Battle Role (Troops) (123pts)

Fire Warrior Team (63pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p99)

Supporting Fire

7x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (63pts), Photon grenades
Kroot Carnivore Squad (60pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p99)

Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Stealth (Forests)
10x Kroot (60pts)

10x Kroot rifle

No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (40pts)

Piranhas (40pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p101)
Piranha (40pts)

Burst cannon, Two Gun Drones

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm interested in killteam, but regrettably I play orks. It seems like I don't have a lot of options, but does anyone have suggestions for an ork killteam?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

DagPenge posted:

Looks to be the GW version of Kill team, I've played some against Eldar, Tau and Tyrranids and what I learned was the following:

Fire warriors are pretty bad rear end, for Kill team they are very good at their price, since they have a weapon which can damage all foes and 4+ armor for just 9 points.
Each model is stand alone and thus can only fire at one enemy model, be very careful not to take units that will overkill the enemy.
Infiltrate is good, the game is all about cover and getting good lines of sight.
Jetbikes and bikes are very good at getting into places where they can be very annoying.
Gimmicks and special tactics are hard to do with only 200 points, so point efficiency and more wounds have been the key in our games.

This is my best list for Tau, however it is very hard to make a bad army, as long as you bring 7-10 Fire Warriors.
The Kroot infiltrates into some good cover where they have a decent line of fire, Fire warriors move up and reinforces them, Piranha and crisis team exploits any opening your Kroot and Fire warriors make in the enemy line. The short of it is that you want your Kroot and Fire Warriors in 4+ cover, which becomes 3+ at night, as long as you keep firing you will out shoot the enemy.

No Battle Role (Elites) (37pts)

XV8 Crisis Team (37pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)

Crisis Shas'ui (37pts)

No Battle Role (Troops) (123pts)

Fire Warrior Team (63pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p99)

Supporting Fire

7x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (63pts), Photon grenades
Kroot Carnivore Squad (60pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p99)

Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Stealth (Forests)
10x Kroot (60pts)

10x Kroot rifle

No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (40pts)

Piranhas (40pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p101)
Piranha (40pts)

Awesome notes - but I just want to paint Crisis suits... :v: So, if I swap out the unnecessary Fusion blasters for Flamers or more Burst cannons, and some Gun drones, would that be more appropriate?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ANAmal.net posted:

These are cool, and good on you for making custom models for your objectives. I love that poo poo and like you said, it's one of the little things that adds a lot to a game.

I was in the same boat, and all I did with mine was a) build a sixth objective, and b) paint the numbers on the side of the base:

(the Battle for Macgragge dude is the new one)

They're supposed to be deep strike mishaps that matched my Blood Ravens army - doesn't make a ton of sense now that I'm running Dark Angels, but whatever, five dead Terminators and a bucket of gene seed or whatever, seems like pretty good objectives.

poo poo, didn't even think about just painting numbers on the base. Still going to build new markers, because those pictured are for my IG and CSM, regular Space Marines get their own objectives.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm interested in killteam, but regrettably I play orks. It seems like I don't have a lot of options, but does anyone have suggestions for an ork killteam?

We haven't played with the new ork codec yet and I haven't read it, but based on what I have seen, they key is to use the ork vehicles. You only have 200 points, so most races is going to be low on weapons with strength 5 and above. That means even the most lovely vehicle is immune or hard to kill, only thing that matter is, if it is cheap enough. The ork flame wagons or whatever has been pretty effective when we played.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Awesome notes - but I just want to paint Crisis suits... :v: So, if I swap out the unnecessary Fusion blasters for Flamers or more Burst cannons, and some Gun drones, would that be more appropriate?

Well Crisis suits just aren't that effective in Kill team due to costs and the fact that if you lose half your models, your army breaks and has to take leadership tests or be removed. Fun fact: Tau sucks at this and the bonding knife does not help. My take on a all Crisis suit group is something like this, however it requires that you have some Piranhas, which are pretty bad rear end in Kill team.

No Battle Role (Elites) (118pts)
XV8 Crisis Team (118pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p100)
Crisis Shas'ui (37pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (37pts)
Crisis battlesuit, Cyclic ion blaster (15pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (32pts)
Burst cannon (10pts), Crisis battlesuit
Gun Drone (12pts)
Twin-linked pulse carbine
No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (80pts)
Piranhas (80pts) (Codex: Tau Empire p101)
Piranha (40pts)
Piranha (40pts)

Make the guy with the flamer your leader and use the Cyclic ion blaster guy as your anti vehicle along with flanking Piranhas and the drones. You are somewhat low on wounds, so make sure to abuse your JSJ to the full extend. If you don't have any Piranhas, you can use Fire Warriors or Drones, just be very careful with them, since you can rout very easy.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Crosspost!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished a Demolisher:

So after I was done painting, I went on my fake-me-out mini balcony to varnish that thing. I had finished the upper part and the turret, and I was spraying the underside. When I was going back in the door, I carelessly bumped the cardboard I use to varnish the models on and the tank tumbled to the balcony floor, where it bounced and rolled through the bars to land on the concrete below and then bounce into a bush. I was like "OH poo poo" and ran down to see how many pieces it was in. The Emperor must have been watching over me because I discovered that only the hull-mounted flamer had popped off and a tiny bit of damage to the paint on the underside had occurred. I'm still chuckling about it.

One more Leman Russ and I'm ready for NOVA!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

The tl;dr of all of this is is that if you play to the Dark Eldar's strengths--hot, nasty, badass speed, you will do fine against most codexes new and old. Playing Dark Eldar in this way is sort of like playing Bizarro Jenga--you want to be taking out key pieces as efficiently as possible in order to send the whole thing tumbling down in as few moves as you can. They will feel like the modernest of codices if you play to their strengths but there are a lot of different ways in which you can gently caress yourself.

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff. DE basically are weak but also strong, they are literally a glass cannon.

The two things you need to know about Dark eldar are the following:

When you lose, you will usually be tabled, get used to it. When you have gotten used to the army, you can kill nearly every unit in the game.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff. DE basically are weak but also strong, they are literally a glass cannon.

The two things you need to know about Dark eldar are the following:

When you lose, you will usually be tabled, get used to it. When you have gotten used to the army, you can kill nearly every unit in the game.

You and Sharzak and everyone else giving advice for DE, thanks! I'm still deciding whether I want to invest money into Dark Eldar, but for now I'm going to go ahead and paint what I have and see what Codex rumors look like in a few months! It's good to know Dark Eldar are still the bad-but-actually-good race, haha.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
So, been thinking about feat of blades and that airplanes can't score. Kill points being game one means I still want to play big denial. So I'm thinking of running azblob now that priests are loving crazy.

1500 ig/da
Az
5 scouts
2x executioners tank commander
50man blob 5x axes and melta bombs
2x vendetta
Pcs 4xflamers
Special weapons team 3x flamer
Priest

Blob and tanks start on the table and steamroll forward. Airplanes drop flamers for last minute objective grabs. Av14 sucks to shoot though and the blob protects them against melee rushes and pods. The priest lets the blob get harder to kill and allows reroll hits on the first round of combat which makes the blob way killey-er. Pretty strait forward but I think it should be alright and I think it will super well on kill points and well enough on objectives and quarters.

The tank commander I'm not super sold on and am considering manticores/wavyrens but that opens up easier targets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just came up with this one because I was bored

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar and Aura of Dark Glory, Space Marine Bike Level 3 160
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar and Aura of Dark Glory, Space Marine Bike Level 3 260

ELITE

Troop
Chaos Cultist 50
Chaos Cultist 50

Fast Attack
4 Chaos Bikers w/ Mark of Nurgle, 2 Melta Guns 134

H. Support
Mauler Fiend 125
Mauler Fiend 125
Mauler Fiend 125

ALLY
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Spell Familiar and Aura of Dark Glory, Space Marine Bike Level 3 160

TROOP
Chaos Cultist 50

Fast Attack

H. Support
Mauler Fiend 125

Formation Murder Pack

4 Mauler Fiends
5 Helbrutes
3 Squads of possible 2 + Cover Save T 6 bikers, throwing off Psychic Screams.

Being in the hospital is very boring.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Being in the hospital is very boring.

Dude, stop making GBS threads up the thread because you're bored. One or two lists? Yeah man, cool. You've posted four lists in two pages. Go to Warseer or something and post these, you'll get all the feedback you could want.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wow, need some midol boon?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ignite Memories posted:

Wow, need some midol boon?
Ha, sick burn, Ignite Memories. He's like a woman, already the worst kind of creature, but also on her period, which makes her even worse! And gross!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Boon posted:

Dude, stop making GBS threads up the thread because you're bored. One or two lists? Yeah man, cool. You've posted four lists in two pages. Go to Warseer or something and post these, you'll get all the feedback you could want.

I don't think you cna actually poo poo the thread, all I'm pisting is lists tht I've come up with and Warseer is a grave yard.

Right now I know it's possible to put

5 + 4 + 4 Dreadnought like creatures now figuring out and it be viable.

5 From Murder Pack
2 Ally Mauler
3 Main Maulers
3 Main Dreadnoughts

Total : 1400 , now figuring out a list to go with that. Which leads me to the old school KFF of Flying around on a bike while casting Shrouding by a Sorcerer with a few Nurgle Marines.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 11, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly the answer is a separate list discussion thread. Infinite topic split go!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you won't be able to have an ally and a murderpack.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Today I learned that FSE Crisis armies at 1500 aren't too viable, especially as I'm poo poo at reserve rolls.

Played two games, twice a Riptide ran off the board, twice my reserves didn't come in Turn 2, twice I was tabled Turn 3.

e:

Oh, and drones with a Riptide are more of a liability than anything.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Orks? Orks.

These are fantastic things. Keep posting pictures as you Ork them up further with plasticard! Here's a big old dump of my WIP stuff to repay you and everyone else who posts cool mini photos. The Squats using goon bits are still sitting at 99% done... goal is to finish them tonight!

Started on a Squiggoth for my brother's Orks as a birthday gift. Started out life as a toy elephant. I chopped it up and added some Ork bits.

Re-posed the front leg to make it more dynamic and added some clay to fill the major gaps. The clay was intended to be cut and sanded down, which is why it looks chunky and goofy. I only had Catachan handy to test an "embarked" unit.

Start on sculpting the head. Obviously needs teeth, nostrils, skin detail, and tusks. It's going to get nice curving tusks - the chunky ones above looked pretty bad.

With Forge World updating the Anphelion Project book, I decided to convert my own Dimachaeron and Malanthrope. I was recently given a free Hive Tyrant kit, and had lots of leftover Tervigon bits from a past commission, so these guys are completely from the bitz box. I have to say, though, I really regret donating away my old Tyranid bits a year or so back!

Malanthrope:

Dimachaeron gobbly torso:

Scratch-sculpted Dimachaeron torso (very WIP):

I've also really been working on my terrain. The tan stone bits were always too clean and bright, so I added a controlled brown wash to really make them look grungy. I'm also adding more foliage, and plan to have green algae streaking down some parts. I'll eventually photograph all of my terrain pieces, but even just after the brown I'm much happier!

Before:

After (still needs black wash on the base, green streaking on the stone, and more flock/foliage):

And lastly, I decided I needed a real terrain centerpiece. I found this toy treehouse for a steal on ebay. It also provided me with enough toy trees to make a few more stands of jungle terrain. I'm going to add camo netting, weapon emplacements, banks of communication equipment, fuel tanks, storage containers, and more.

It's hard to not get side-tracked with tons of new projects constantly!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Buffchix, you're doin it right. That weathered terrain looks excellent.

Also, you have good taste in beer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you won't be able to have an ally and a murderpack.

That is actually true which I should take into account for but NOVA is different and people are chaning a lot to their format

With 1 Primary and 1 Formation you can still get 11 Dreads basically.

I'd love a seperate thread for lists, I've been in the hospital for 4 days and going crazy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

So before I headed to Oregon for a week I managed to play a game of 40k with my dad. We played a modified version of a mission out of the Cityfight book, where you have a defender and an attacker. The defender starts with as many HQ, Troops, and Heavy Support units as it can fit within 8" of the objective building, and inside the building itself. The rest of their force (so Elites, Fast Attack, and whatever doesn't fit) all come in via reserves. Meanwhile, the attacker has their whole army start on the board more than 18" away from any enemy models. At the end of the game, if the defender has any models still in the objective building, they win. I lined up 3300 points of Valhallans and Iron Warriors and we had a slugfest that ended on turn 5 with the Iron Warriors' Dark Apostle, Sorceror, and a handful of Marines holding onto the central building. A super advantageous seized initiative really helped me take it with the Iron Warriors, and I caught a lot of his troops out of position in the following turns. It was a fun game though, and I took a mess of photos of it:
[tIMG][http://i.imgur.com/fO9mdCM.jpg[/tIMG]

Yer dad deserves the key to the city for sculpting a moustache onto that Commissar.

You have received twenty demerits for saying, "[brandname] photos," though. :commissar:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

With a Single FOC and a Single Formation, you have to go with Murder Pack and Chaos Daemons unfortunately. It's more expensive though.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Both of these photos remind me of dino riders in the best possible way.

I forget what VHS I had as a kid but there was a commercial for these things at the end. These were probably out of production by the time I saw that tape (never saw an ad on TV) but drat did I want them.

Now I'm tempted to crawl though my mother's attic for my old Exosquad toys to see how tall they are compared to a riptide/dreadknight...

One is even piloted by a lumpy headed tau! These probably would be too out of place in a 40k army, or would require someone like BuffaloChicken to actually pull it off.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Yer dad deserves the key to the city for sculpting a moustache onto that Commissar.

You have received twenty demerits for saying, "[brandname] photos," though. :commissar:

My dad doesn't actually have an army of his own, my Valhallans are just his favorite army of mine so he always plays them when we play together. He does more historical gaming. I made a point to sculpt Stalin staches on a couple of my Commissars:

E: And I said iPhone photos because they're not as good as the usual ones I take. Not that my camera's any good, but it's a little better than my phone camera.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Buffalo Chicken, that squiggoth is looking right proper. You're a stupendous converter.

Holy poo poo, we had one of these since I was a kid and I never knew what it was.

I still have plans to make that green bit into a stompa-sized skorcha at some point.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ha, sick burn, Ignite Memories. He's like a woman, already the worst kind of creature, but also on her period, which makes her even worse! And gross!

Quit shame-shaming me, MasterSlowPoke. I am as the lord made me.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 11, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Should I make a Warhammmer Tactics and army lists for 40k Discussion thread?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

All the Inquisitional stuff and assassins are gone, as best we can tell; Psybolt Ammo is also gone, a number of small point shifts in various units. Librarians are down to 100pts, Terminators are 33pts, Paladins are ~65pts; a lot of the melee weapon prices dropped slightly, but Termies/Paladins apparently no longer get them for free. No more FoC-swaps with characters. Draigo is cheaper and a Lord of War. Relics: Bone Shard of Solor, The fury of Deimos, Cuirass of Sacrifice, The Soul Glaive, Domina Liber Daemonica. Dreadknight Teleporter is a lot cheaper.

So basically the army I used to run is completely and totally nonviable, because everything that made it function was gutted. Goddamnit, GW.

Motherfuckers! I'm not so bitter about the loss of the Inquisitorial stuff since C:I exists and we're battle brothers with the entire Imperium anyway, but losing Psybolt ammo sucks hard. I miss my squad of Interceptors crapping out 20 S5 shots a turn while being mobile and annoying as hell. Maybe Falchions will be worth taking in this codex :v:

Did they make Brotherhood Champions not-horrible and give them PT access? The only leaks I can see are on BoLS and they've MSpainted out the points values. Jerks. Looks like Grand Masters can't have Psycannons anymore, which is lame. If it's still available on Brother Captains then he might start seeing some use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Should I make a Warhammmer Tactics and army lists for 40k Discussion thread?

Honestly, either a 40k thread or just General Netlist Central would be fine. Not a bad plan either way.

• Locked thread