Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I don't even remember him being bisexual. How did I miss this?
He hits on Joshua, and he flirts with that one guy who shows up near the end of the game to basically be his nanny, Muller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess that doesn't really register as bisexual for me when it comes to JRPGs/Anime, haha. I AM PART OF THE DEMOGRAPHIC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The problem is that the media often portrays bisexual people as insatiable rakes which stems from the idea that bisexuality is equivalent to being unfaithful or indecisive. This is almost exclusively a male trope.

And that may not necessarily be the intent of the writing because...

Rascyc posted:

I guess that doesn't really register as bisexual for me when it comes to JRPGs/Anime, haha. I AM PART OF THE DEMOGRAPHIC.

...the "harmless/annoying perv" is an archetype so very common in Japanese media but the lines can easily blur.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Friendly Factory posted:

So I picked up Trails and was enjoying myself after the slow start but I just hit the homophobia part. The first time Olivier shows up I felt loving awful reading the script. So I looked it up online and the general consensus is that this scene is completely out of place with the rest of the game. So okay, I start playing again. Two scenes later, they're still calling his advances "questionable humor" and "perverted". Please tell me I won't have to put up with this for much longer when playing Trails. It's killing me.

That's basically the entirety of it. After this point, Olivier is treated generally as a guy with really skewed priorities, and the other party members sigh at having to drag this nut along on their mission.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's basically the entirety of it. After this point, Olivier is treated generally as a guy with really skewed priorities, and the other party members sigh at having to drag this nut along on their mission.

So he's like the glasses dude from Lunar then?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Ramus? Not really. More like Nash if Nash kept trying to dry hump everything in sight while chugging cask wine.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ramus? Not really. More like Nash if Nash kept trying to dry hump everything in sight while chugging cask wine.
I thought that was Kyle? Isn't Nash the rear end in a top hat wizard?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

The White Dragon posted:

Nash is indeed the wizzzzard with the flashy hair.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Olivier always reminded me of Jansen from Lost Odyssey.

I think Jansen and the short stories are the only thing I've retained from that game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

can you even imagine the power of a kyle/nash chimera

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah his name was Jansen and he was in Lost Odyssey :v:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I think they're calling Olivier a pervert because he's constantly hitting on most everything with a pulse, not really because he's bi. The same character exists as a straight dude in a lot of games - Ringabel in Bravely Default, for instance - and is treated about the same way. Joshua's deadpanning to his advances because he isn't interested and it's over the top, not because the dicks might touch. People deadpan when he hits on Schera too. I never took it as you having to be disgusted by his bisexuality, I always took it as him being a goofy flirt. If they really wanted this guy to be disgusting and shameful or whatever, they wouldn't have made him a main party member who appears multiple times throughout the game and helps the main characters at several points.

I mean, intent isn't everything and I could see taking the scenes a weird way, but they pretty clearly mean for him to be a likable goof.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I don't really remember anything in the game where people are making fun of Olivier because of his sexuality, just getting fed up with him constantly hitting on everyone, wanting to get drunk all the time, and generally being over-the-top in any given situation.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Trails in the Sky is a super fun game but man is it just begging for an Earthbound style "I'm stronger than you so you die when I run into you" mechanic. Battles are just too slow and even low level monsters suicide run into you on the map. At least the Run command seems 100% effective.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

Trails in the Sky is a super fun game but man is it just begging for an Earthbound style "I'm stronger than you so you die when I run into you" mechanic. Battles are just too slow and even low level monsters suicide run into you on the map. At least the Run command seems 100% effective.

The worst thing is how you still get into fights if they touch one of your party members :argh:

It takes like a second to run (and yeah, it always works) but it's pretty annoying and probably my biggest complaint with the game. You get a quartz at some point that prevents enemies from aggroing on you, but it's not always easy to find someone who has room for it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I thought Jansen was going to be some short-term generic NPC at first, but my god he is the best character ever. We should all watch 45 minutes of him being amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87gdo19HqI

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jansen is the perfect example of a character that would be completely insufferable if his voice actor didn't sell his goofiness so well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The best bits of Jansen are where he doesn't even have subtitles. "Huh. Puberty is weird.."

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Levantine posted:

Later games (starting with Zero no Kiseki) have that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Jansen is the perfect example of a character that would be completely insufferable if his voice actor didn't sell his goofiness so well.

Yeah seriously. I'm amazed the guy doesn't get more work. Though it is funny to think that he voiced Knuckles in Sonic Adventure 1 too.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Levantine posted:

Battles aren't worth fighting, they take too long and give too little. Just run from every battle you can't end before the enemy can attack and still run from 80% of those. Once you get Haze you never have to deal with enemies again, heck you can even have a party member carry Scent (the enemy attracting quartz) and Haze will still work over top of it.

It's not as though grinding gets you much of anything in the game. Maybe unlocking slots earlier than usual, but the game is really easy until near the end anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I think they're calling Olivier a pervert because he's constantly hitting on most everything with a pulse, not really because he's bi. The same character exists as a straight dude in a lot of games - Ringabel in Bravely Default, for instance - and is treated about the same way. Joshua's deadpanning to his advances because he isn't interested and it's over the top, not because the dicks might touch. People deadpan when he hits on Schera too. I never took it as you having to be disgusted by his bisexuality, I always took it as him being a goofy flirt. If they really wanted this guy to be disgusting and shameful or whatever, they wouldn't have made him a main party member who appears multiple times throughout the game and helps the main characters at several points.

I mean, intent isn't everything and I could see taking the scenes a weird way, but they pretty clearly mean for him to be a likable goof.

Well, this post is true, but it still misses the bigger picture in Japanese media, where almost every single bi or homosexual character is a pervert. Like, that's the archetype for non-straight characters in the large majority of japanese fiction. When you look at it in a vacuum it's not so bad but Trails doesn't exist in a vacuum. Doesn't stop me from liking the rest of the game, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, this post is true, but it still misses the bigger picture in Japanese media, where almost every single bi or homosexual character is a pervert. Like, that's the archetype for non-straight characters in the large majority of japanese fiction. When you look at it in a vacuum it's not so bad but Trails doesn't exist in a vacuum. Doesn't stop me from liking the rest of the game, though.
Dude I'm totally aware of that trend, but Olivier never struck me as a 'pervy because he's bi' type of character. Like I'm usually hyper sensitive to this sort of thing and Olivier has never bothered me, because he has lots of notes to hit besides that. He's a goof all-around, and the fact that he hits on people is just part of that, as opposed to a lot of gay/bi characters in japanese stuff where they just hit the pervert thing 24/7. Not to mention he never goes as over the top about it as a lot of characters that fit that trope.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just finished Lunar: Silver Star Story. Man I'm going to miss these characters. They were just so lovable and engaging.

These characters, and the ones from Trails in the Sky and Suikoden II are probably my favorite ensemble characters in a JRPG.

Oh, and probably Xenoblade.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 12, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I liked the Lunar 2 cast better fwiw.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I liked the Lunar 2 cast better fwiw.

Cool :) That's up next.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does the mobile port of TWEWY add anything besides changing the combat up to compensate for lack of a seocnd screen? I have a strong urge to replay it but no sense in dropping 18bux if there's nothing new in it.

I am also filled with sadness that we will never get a sequel.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

theblackw0lf posted:

Just finished Lunar: Silver Star Story. Man I'm going to miss these characters. They were just so lovable and engaging.

These characters, and the ones from Trails in the Sky and Suikoden II are probably my favorite ensemble characters in a JRPG.

Is Silver Star Harmony a good remake? I own it on psp so if it's as good/better than the original Silver Star Story I might give it a proper run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Is Silver Star Harmony a good remake? I own it on psp so if it's as good/better than the original Silver Star Story I might give it a proper run.

It's an okay remake. It changes the script a little from the Working Designs translation but not really in a bad way. The biggest complaints are that things feel a bit smaller (in some ways which are good and some ways which are bad) and that it is easier, but it wasn't like SSS for the PS1 was a hard game. It has some of the changes from the GBA Lunar port, some of which are game-breakingly powerful, and they toned down some of the bosses which makes them kind of pushovers.The loading time was also a bit eh from what I recall.

It's hard to call it straight-up better or worse. It has some improvements and some things which are worse. If you care about the story it's probably the best version since it has a little extra content, but the gameplay takes a hit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 12, 2014

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

worse art and the battles, while not particularly challenging in the original, are turned into ultra babymode.

also John Truitt is no longer ghaleon, which means you can safely throw SSH in the garbage bin

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

also John Truitt is no longer ghaleon, which means you can safely throw SSH in the garbage bin

Truer words are seldom said.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theblackw0lf posted:

Reyn Time, Best Time, All the Time :colbert:.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's an okay remake. It changes the script a little from the Working Designs translation but not really in a bad way. The biggest complaints are that things feel a bit smaller (in some ways which are good and some ways which are bad) and that it is easier, but it wasn't like SSS for the PS1 was a hard game. It has some of the changes from the GBA Lunar port, some of which are game-breakingly powerful, and they toned down some of the bosses which makes them kind of pushovers.The loading time was also a bit eh from what I recall.

It's hard to call it straight-up better or worse. It has some improvements and some things which are worse. If you care about the story it's probably the best version since it has a little extra content, but the gameplay takes a hit.

What's the extra content?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the extra content?

There's a brief bit of prologue story with the original four heroes. It isn't anything very impressive.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it's pretty generic boilerplate anime.

also there are new spells and abilities but it doesnt matter because nothing can hurt you

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does the mobile port of TWEWY add anything besides changing the combat up to compensate for lack of a seocnd screen? I have a strong urge to replay it but no sense in dropping 18bux if there's nothing new in it.

I am also filled with sadness that we will never get a sequel.

You'll get one if enough people buy the mobile port :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does the mobile port of TWEWY add anything besides changing the combat up to compensate for lack of a seocnd screen?

It has some awesome new music, made all party member fusions weaker by reducing their stats, made Neku even more powerful at base because no more light puck. More importantly, it removed the ability to get Mingle PP easily (no more aliens, and you can't mingle with the DS version or a Wii at all) and stuffed in an IAP store, of course, staffed by if I remember right this new reaper:

also the IAP store has some new pins and stuff that counts towards your collection stats and the like because of course it does.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dragonatrix posted:

It has some awesome new music, made all party member fusions weaker by reducing their stats, made Neku even more powerful at base because no more light puck. More importantly, it removed the ability to get Mingle PP easily (no more aliens, and you can't mingle with the DS version or a Wii at all) and stuffed in an IAP store, of course, staffed by if I remember right this new reaper:

also the IAP store has some new pins and stuff that counts towards your collection stats and the like because of course it does.

Dammit, I was actually kinda interested in that port, but it seems like all the changes they made that aren't directly to the combat system are terrible. Mingle PP was ALREADY a pain in the rear end to get even with aliens, for fucks sake.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since Sacred 3 seems like a wash from most accounts, I've been grinding away still at the 2nd one. Today this game proved itself once again.

:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Out of all the little changes made here and there to Lunar in SSH, the worst for me was the way the music cut out and restarted every single time you went into another room. You rarely got a chance to appreciate the music in town because it'd restart every 10 seconds. It also made the loading times impossible to ignore.