Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If I remember correctly, flat rate is only available under certain conditions for a Mac; it has to be out of warranty, but not so much as to be in vintage/unsupported territory (more than 3 years from purchase date) otherwise it's tiered by some arcane table of conditions that depend on what's gone bad. Feel free to correct me if this isn't the case.

Also, IMHO Apple better start offering nVidia based options for current selling Mac Pros at some point, some people need CUDA.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Interesting observation(s) playing around with an old G4 MDD. Dual 1.25Ghz overclocked to 1.5Ghz. 2G memory. SCSI Ultra320. 10.5.8.

H.264 videos play pretty well through Movist but only 720p and lower play in realtime. High bitrate H.264 720p seems to be fine as well. 1080p24 on the other hand, doesn't play at realtime regardless of the bitrate although I didn't test all profiles and levels. Apple trailers encoded 1080p24 doesn't play in realtime either through Quicktime.

Whats really interesting though is ProRes LT 1080p24/30 plays back in realtime with only 60-80% CPU use across both cores. Scrubbing is pretty responsive in Quicktime.

So technically you could edit a feature length 1080p24/30 project on a 12 year old obsolete architecture Mac pretty smoothly provided your offline source is ProRes LT. With external FW800 storage you could have endless modern storage at your disposal as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

If I remember correctly, flat rate is only available under certain conditions for a Mac; it has to be out of warranty, but not so much as to be in vintage/unsupported territory (more than 3 years from purchase date) otherwise it's tiered by some arcane table of conditions that depend on what's gone bad. Feel free to correct me if this isn't the case.

Also, IMHO Apple better start offering nVidia based options for current selling Mac Pros at some point, some people need CUDA.

Vintage is 5 years, obsolete is generally 7+.

Flat rate is technically up to the technician. If it's a nice location/tech they'll flatrate anything that is younger than 5 years/out of warranty that doesn't have damage. Some places only flat rate in rare circumstances.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

They can still be under warranty. That's how we avoid repeat service penalty for PSP on the few that come back in for various reasons (though they're closing that loophole pretty soon. seriously, some of the PSP requirements defy all logic). But if it's the customer sending it in under warranty and there isn't any accidental damage, they wouldn't be charged anything and it would be treated like an AppleCare repair. If it is damaged, there's obviously a charge. And yeah, it has to be a supported product.

Kingnothing posted:

A flat rate repair is about the same cost of AppleCare if you don't factor in student pricing ($280 flat rate vs $183 for student AppleCare). This also doesn't factor in the possibility of having more than one flat rate repair, or the fact that only USA and Japan get the flat-rate option.

It's $280 for 13" machines. It goes up for the 15" and above (IIRC it's 320 for 15" and 380 for 17"). And that's only if there isn't accidental damage. If that comes into play, there's 4 tiers, depending on what parts need replacing. I'm not sure what you mean by more than one flat rate repair, as the whole definition of flat rate is that they fix anything and everything for one set price, as long as it isn't economically feasible to fix the machine, but if the repairs are all deemed manufacturer defects and not accidental damage, I've seen them replace drat near everything in a machine before for just the fixed rate.

Kingnothing posted:

Vintage is 5 years, obsolete is generally 7+.

Vintage is typically 6 years out, but it can vary by product (or maybe you meant over 5 years?). Currently 2009 machines are still considered current. Most 2008 is vintage,and the original Macbook Air is now vintage, which I believe is 2009, but the 2009 MBP's, iMacs, and Mac Pros (and maybe the minis but I'm not sure) are still supported.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 10, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Interesting observation(s) playing around with an old G4 MDD. Dual 1.25Ghz overclocked to 1.5Ghz. 2G memory. SCSI Ultra320. 10.5.8. ..

..Whats really interesting though is ProRes LT 1080p24/30 plays back in realtime with only 60-80% CPU use across both cores. Scrubbing is pretty responsive in Quicktime.

Probably due to the magic of Altivec in both G4 / G5 processors which enabled data in certain special situations to be processed in 128-bit chunks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

empty baggie posted:

Vintage is typically 6 years out, but it can vary by product (or maybe you meant over 5 years?).

[quote]Currently 2009 machines are still considered current. Most 2008 is vintage,and the original Macbook Air is now vintage, which I believe is 2009, but the 2009 MBP's, iMacs, and Mac Pros (and maybe the minis but I'm not sure) are still supported.

Original MacBook Airs came out in January 2008, and they're definitely vintage. I still see them brought in, though gradually less and less; the three typical problems with those in no particular order are hinge problems, SATA 1.8" platter drive or 1st gen 64/128 GB SSD drive has become read-only / defective, lovely bomb-bay door USB / monitor port / speaker module fails to work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

empty baggie posted:

They can still be under warranty. That's how we avoid repeat service penalty for PSP on the few that come back in for various reasons (though they're closing that loophole pretty soon. seriously, some of the PSP requirements defy all logic). But if it's the customer sending it in under warranty and there isn't any accidental damage, they wouldn't be charged anything and it would be treated like an AppleCare repair. If it is damaged, there's obviously a charge. And yeah, it has to be a supported product.

It's $280 for 13" machines. It goes up for the 15" and above (IIRC it's 320 for 15" and 380 for 17"). And that's only if there isn't accidental damage. If that comes into play, there's 4 tiers, depending on what parts need replacing. I'm not sure what you mean by more than one flat rate repair, as the whole definition of flat rate is that they fix anything and everything for one set price, as long as it isn't economically feasible to fix the machine, but if the repairs are all deemed manufacturer defects and not accidental damage, I've seen them replace drat near everything in a machine before for just the fixed rate.

Vintage is typically 6 years out, but it can vary by product (or maybe you meant over 5 years?). Currently 2009 machines are still considered current. Most 2008 is vintage,and the original Macbook Air is now vintage, which I believe is 2009, but the 2009 MBP's, iMacs, and Mac Pros (and maybe the minis but I'm not sure) are still supported.

More than one as in two flat rate repairs in a two year out of warranty period. IE logic board at 1.5 years, display+hdd at 2.5 years.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kingnothing posted:

They will not. If it's major liquid damage (can you be a little more specific?), even if you get someone sympathetic at an Apple Store the repair facility will call you and give you the liquid pricing once they see it in there.
Milk Bath. Don't ask. I am not a smart person. Haven't dared to turn it on yet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Milk Bath. Don't ask. I am not a smart person. Haven't dared to turn it on yet.

Milk is bad. They might actually not service that at all due to possible bacteria cultures in the milk. I would bring it in now before it turns to straight up mold and they definitely won't touch it. But please tell them it's milk first, they'll find out if you don't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cingulate posted:

Milk Bath. Don't ask.

Is the milk from a human?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Milk is bad. They might actually not service that at all due to possible bacteria cultures in the milk. I would bring it in now before it turns to straight up mold and they definitely won't touch it. But please tell them it's milk first, they'll find out if you don't.

I did an alcohol scrub of a macbook that had milk spilled in it, and the guy continued to use it for a week until it poo poo the bed. I brought it back to life, but I will never ever ever do that to myself again. The milk had congealed, and the stench was beyond description.

Binary Badger posted:

Original MacBook Airs came out in January 2008, and they're definitely vintage. I still see them brought in, though gradually less and less; the three typical problems with those in no particular order are hinge problems, SATA 1.8" platter drive or 1st gen 64/128 GB SSD drive has become read-only / defective, lovely bomb-bay door USB / monitor port / speaker module fails to work.

Yeah, I discovered last week that if anyone has a failed hard drive on those Airs, you're poo poo out of luck getting one from Apple.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 11, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any opinions on the best Bluetooth mouse to use on a Mac? No Magic Mouse--crap ergonomics. I considered mmfixed but it's so ugly. It's for my dad. He just needs 3 buttons and a scroll wheel, good tracking, and close to full size. Nothing too dinky.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Any opinions on the best Bluetooth mouse to use on a Mac? No Magic Mouse--crap ergonomics. I considered mmfixed but it's so ugly. It's for my dad. He just needs 3 buttons and a scroll wheel, good tracking, and close to full size. Nothing too dinky.

Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 is pretty neat and works great with my Mac. Battery lasts loving forever...

Logitech has some good ones too, but I don't know if they have the shoulder buttons. In general bluetooth mouses are gonna be small because they're meant to be used with laptops on the go. Sure you can't convince him to use a wireless mouse with a tiny little USB adapter?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He has one now, but would prefer to not have a dongle. It's surprisingly large for a dongle. It probably sticks out an inch and the battery cover is held on with tape, so maybe it's time for a replacement whether it be bluetooth or not.

No need for shoulder buttons. I was referring to left click, right click and wheel click.

I also hate how Amazon lists lots of dongle mice under the bluetooth category.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Riven posted:

You can't renew it. You can buy it anytime in the first year, and it extends the care to three. After that you're on your own.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. What's the cheapest place to get AppleCare?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

He has one now, but would prefer to not have a dongle. It's surprisingly large for a dongle. It probably sticks out an inch and the battery cover is held on with tape, so maybe it's time for a replacement whether it be bluetooth or not.

No need for shoulder buttons. I was referring to left click, right click and wheel click.

I also hate how Amazon lists lots of dongle mice under the bluetooth category.

Oh, Logitech has you covered then. Microsoft too. They both make really nice wireless mouses.

The dongles these days stick out maybe 5mm, nowhere close to an inch. 90% of the bulk is actually the USB connector.

edit: Just measured the dongle on my m570, it's literally about 4mm (excluding the USB connector)

Pivo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 10, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

God I forgot how lovely those things were. Probably the worst machine Apple made in the last 10 years.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I prefer to forget about the original design for the Air. Jobs should have waited until it was feasible to use flash memory.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Bluetooth mice are just not very popular due to their restrictions when used on a PC (unusable for BIOS in most cases). A RF wireless with a tiny receiver, especially one that can support multiple devices like the Logitech Unifying Receiver, is a vastly superior option for the vast majority of people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GokieKS posted:

Bluetooth mice are just not very popular due to their restrictions when used on a PC (unusable for BIOS in most cases). A RF wireless with a tiny receiver, especially one that can support multiple devices like the Logitech Unifying Receiver, is a vastly superior option for the vast majority of people.

Which stinks on laptops with only two USB ports

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't say vast majority. Any Mac user should be happier with Bluetooth as long as battery life and tracking are equivalent. Keeping a loving dongle in a USB port all the time is an eyesore.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

fleshweasel posted:

Keeping a loving dongle in a USB port all the time is an eyesore.

The type of people who think this are the types who would likely be buying an Apple mouse anyway.

There's a good reason that even a company like Logitech, whose mouse and keyboard lineup over a, say, 5 -10 year period reaches near triple digits, with plenty of overlap between them, barely makes any Bluetooth models. The market just isn't there.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GokieKS posted:

Bluetooth mice are just not very popular due to their restrictions when used on a PC (unusable for BIOS in most cases).

You think a significant number of people in this world actually give a poo poo whether their wireless mouse works in the BIOS? BIOSes where the user interface is better with a mouse are a recent development, too. Not buying this as a reason for the unpopularity of bluetooth mice at all.

I always thought it was more about the PC world not going all-in on Bluetooth the way Apple did. PC laptop manufacturers treated Bluetooth as a premium option for far too long, and most people just buy the base config or whatever's cheapest at the retailer, so the market was flooded with tons of PCs with no built-in bluetooth. If you're a mouse manufacturer and you have to bundle dongles with your mice so that people don't return them for not working with their bluetooth-less PC, guess which dongle wins? Especially when most buyers don't know or understand the distinction between full Bluetooth and a cheaper proprietary mouse-only radio?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I got the Apple wireless keyboard a while back, and every single time I rebooted into Windows or back into OS X again the pairing broke and I had to go into Bluetooth preferences again. That pretty much soured me on Bluetooth peripherals, especially compared to the 99.9% reliability of Logitech dongles.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Roadie posted:

I got the Apple wireless keyboard a while back, and every single time I rebooted into Windows or back into OS X again the pairing broke and I had to go into Bluetooth preferences again. That pretty much soured me on Bluetooth peripherals, especially compared to the 99.9% reliability of Logitech dongles.

Some devices will only pair with one thing, and Windows and OSX count as two things. I've got a logitech bluetooth keyboard that can pair with 3 but you have to push a button to tell it which one it should use.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Even better is how Logitech makes two touch surface mice, which apparently support all the smooth scrolling and flicking and swiping that the Magic Mouse and Trackpad support.

Black mouse with RF receiver for Windows. No Mac drivers.

White mouse that talks Bluetooth. No Windows drivers.

Guess that means that if you ever Boot Camp it up, you need to buy two loving mice for the optimal experience. That's $80 each, same as the Magic Mouse and Trackpad.

Oh, right. And they don't chew on regular batteries, so you can forget about having a handy set of rechargeables and swapping them out quickly when the batteries die. Instead, you'll be plugging them in to recharge regularly. Better hope they don't outright die when you need to use them, or you'll be stuck without a mouse for a while.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But do you really want a "touch surface mouse"? Does anyone *really* like the Magic Mouse (and can we stop for a second to point out how terrible that name is)?

If you want touch gestures, a trackpad is *way* better in every possible way. I can't loving stand the Magic Mouse. Just using one at the Apple Store angers me, it's so bad.

But I may be the lone voice again like about the 17" MBP.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I like smooth scrolling, especially that it's supported pretty much everywhere. What I don't like is single finger clicks often setting off a bit of scrolling before and/or after each click. Or my fingers gripping the side of the mouse setting off the scrolling.

I will consider your suggestion of a Magic Trackpad, and will also ask one of my fellow developers about the one he just recently acquired. The only problem he expressed thus far was Xcode crashing constantly after first associating the Trackpad with his system, which went away after the magic of log out and log back in.

Is the Magic Trackpad properly supported under Windows at all? I mean, I can understand if Apple doesn't want to implement gestures for Windows users, but at least smooth scrolling would be nice.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Xcode crashes constantly regardless of your input method. Xcode loving sucks. It rapes memory, it takes a long time to spin around doing nothing in particular, and then it crashes all the time for no good reason.

Dunno about Windows. I can't imagine the experience would be too pleasurable based on my experience using MBP trackpad in Boot Camp, but it's workable.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

But do you really want a "touch surface mouse"? Does anyone *really* like the Magic Mouse (and can we stop for a second to point out how terrible that name is)?

If you want touch gestures, a trackpad is *way* better in every possible way. I can't loving stand the Magic Mouse. Just using one at the Apple Store angers me, it's so bad.

I really love the magic mouse when I don't have to use it for 4+ hours at a time.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Pivo posted:

Xcode crashes constantly regardless of your input method. Xcode loving sucks. It rapes memory, it takes a long time to spin around doing nothing in particular, and then it crashes all the time for no good reason.

Dunno about Windows. I can't imagine the experience would be too pleasurable based on my experience using MBP trackpad in Boot Camp, but it's workable.

Yeah IDEs blow goats generally. Decades of Visual Studio, Eclipse and Xcode have taught me that. Fortunately slim fast editors like Sublime are taking over precisely because they don't loving try to be IDEs. Praise Allah for that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pivo posted:

I actually love the Magic Mouse. Best mouse I've ever used - but I recognize this is a minority position.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

I actually love the Magic Mouse. Best mouse I've ever used - but I recognize this is a minority position.

Did you have an accident that left your hands permanently disfigured in a way that coincidentally makes Magic Mouse comfortable to use?

Apple has always had the worst and ugliest mice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rather use that round puck mouse than the magic mouse. More like TRAGIC mouse, rite?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How could Apple have thought making such a tiny (height-wise) mouse was a good idea? I hate that loving thing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is OS X's battery life estimator very conservative? It's reading about 7 hours right now, with very little running. Apple's website says I should expect 9 hours, and several reviews are quoting ~11. But if the OS is just poo poo at guessing, I can deal.

I'm so sorry to keep being that guy that drops in to entry level questions, especially about super banal stuff like battery life. :smith:

Mousechat - the Magic Mouse is a bit poo poo but nowhere near as poo poo as the one with the tiny little trackball. Also I loved the clear body mice and wish that would come back. But let's be honest, no mouse will ever surpass:

EDIT: Okay it feels like "not the best at guessing" may be the case, since in between the time I started this post and when I edited in that picture, the estimate went up by an hour. Whatever, Apple. Still "only" at 8 hours though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boxman posted:

Is OS X's battery life estimator very conservative? It's reading about 7 hours right now, with very little running. Apple's website says I should expect 9 hours, and several reviews are quoting ~11. But if the OS is just poo poo at guessing, I can deal.

It's usually pretty accurate, but if it's brand new it takes a while to calibrate...

Using a browser other than Safari is usually a reason people see worse-than-advertised battery life. I use Chrome because :yolo: but Safari is a lot more efficient, if you can stomach it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I am basically complaining that my mid 2011 27" iMac is too good.

I would really like to own a laptop instead of a desktop these days but the iMac is just too good even with 3 years under its belt. I put 16gb RAM in not long ago and it's as quick as ever ( and hardly using half of it)

Looking on eBay I wouldn't even have trouble getting half of what it cost back.

God drat this hardware is good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boxman posted:

EDIT: Okay it feels like "not the best at guessing" may be the case, since in between the time I started this post and when I edited in that picture, the estimate went up by an hour. Whatever, Apple. Still "only" at 8 hours though.

The time is going to change based upon the current load of the system. The more you have going on, the faster the battery will run out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm running built in apple stuff (safari, messages), Adium, Dropbox, and the 1password mini-client. I suppose that could all be causing a bigger-than usual drain.

Whatevs, as long as people didn't say "that's obviously wrong" I don't care about a bit of variance. I do love this machine though. Coming to this after having a 2007 MBP for so long is a dream.