Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nimby posted:

Alison is still a bit of a jerk, first telling Pintsize she isn't there to make fun of him, then making fun of him.
It's so hard not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pavlov posted:

Yes, but at least she's a funny jerk this time. Also this might actually be the kind of thing he needs to hear.

Pintsize kind of needs a reality check desperately. Allison was not really any more clued in to give it to him, back when they were younger though.

There is no nice way to say "You want the world to be a Justice League comic and the world doesn't work that way. Not even if super powers are real."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He got to live his dream for a few years, that's way better than the vast majority of the planet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

He got to live his dream for a few years, that's way better than the vast majority of the planet.

The thing about dreams is that eventually we have to wake up.

And Alison is the alarm clock. :v:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm just reminded of that alt text early on, something like "Alison is a little awkward or reserved around most people because she is constantly coming up with one-liners".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Warmachine posted:

The thing about dreams is that eventually we have to wake up.

And Alison is the alarm clock. :v:

I think the alarm clock went off several years ago and Hector has been mumbling "five more minutes" ever since

Gonna torture this analogy into the ground.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
When Alison is the alarm clock, you really don't want to push her buttons. Snooze or otherwise.

Pushing her buttons in general isn't a good idea either. :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
She seems to be saying it affectionately, but that smile could also be seen as jerkish.

The last panel is pretty funny if you read it in the chipmunk voice he is no doubt using.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

She seems to be saying it affectionately, but that smile could also be seen as jerkish.

The last panel is pretty funny if you read it in the chipmunk voice he is no doubt using.

Aaaand taking this into consideration just made these scenes become funny instead of suspenseful THANKS A LOT

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Considering Alison said he has 'helium voice', I'd say that it is pretty high pitched.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I don't think "you did always want to live in a comic book" was supposed to be mean spirited, I think it was an attempt to be nice with some humour. Although she is noticeably smirking instead of a regular smile

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Hector's talking in a tiny squeaky voice, it's probably impossible to take him even vaguely seriously.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't think "you did always want to live in a comic book" was supposed to be mean spirited, I think it was an attempt to be nice with some humour. Although she is noticeably smirking instead of a regular smile

I'm 99% sure she's verbally slapping sense into him. It's certainly not a good-natured joke. It's her slapping the irrational guy and telling him to get his poo poo together, we live in a real world. Alison isn't a totally maladjusted goon. She knows that that will hurt his feelings, and is counting on it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Warmachine posted:

I'm 99% sure she's verbally slapping sense into him. It's certainly not a good-natured joke. It's her slapping the irrational guy and telling him to get his poo poo together, we live in a real world. Alison isn't a totally maladjusted goon. She knows that that will hurt his feelings, and is counting on it.

She isn't just going in and being mean-spirited, but while she does have a plan, I don't think it's a very good one. Hector doesn't need someone to come in, slap his metaphorical poo poo, and tell him to just suck it up. He probably realizes that he's been trying to hold a sandcastle against the ocean these past few years, and he needs support in dealing with that. This is just kind of a (much smaller) version of Alison quitting on national TV: she's right, sure, but she's going about it in a terrible, terrible way that doesn't involve as much consideration of others as it really should.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Alison knows where Menace went - that "there are no supervillains left and I'm not punching normals so I quit" isn't actually the reason she quit - and she just doesn't respect her former teammates enough to disclose that

as mean-spiritedness goes, merely being aggravatingly superior about her well-adjustedness to mean Reality is minor in comparison

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 10, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ronya posted:

Alison knows where Menace went - that "there are no supervillains left and I'm not punching normals so I quit" isn't actually the reason she quit - and she just doesn't respect her former teammates enough to disclose that

as mean-spiritedness goes, merely being aggravatingly superior about her well-adjustedness to mean Reality is minor in comparison

She's hiding the location of the world's greatest supervillain that's something she hasn't disclosed to her family or Feral and you can't tell me she doesn't respect the hell out of them. I do agree that her opening statement isn't so bad though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
"Punching people isn't making the world better" is the actual reason why she quit, and she's been totally honest about that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

She isn't just going in and being mean-spirited, but while she does have a plan, I don't think it's a very good one. Hector doesn't need someone to come in, slap his metaphorical poo poo, and tell him to just suck it up. He probably realizes that he's been trying to hold a sandcastle against the ocean these past few years, and he needs support in dealing with that. This is just kind of a (much smaller) version of Alison quitting on national TV: she's right, sure, but she's going about it in a terrible, terrible way that doesn't involve as much consideration of others as it really should.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes to mind as one of Alison's character traits. Just because she knows it's lovely to say doesn't mean Ms. Punches Hard doesn't think that tough love is a good idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ronya posted:

Disclosing that information has a hell of a lot of ways it could go terribly wrong, and achieve the exact opposite effect she would desire. I think you're being naive here. Hector is like an addict, telling him about the Menace encounter is just as likely to have him grasp onto the notion that Menace is still out there like a drowning man to a piece of driftwood as proof that no, the superhero thing REALLY IS still viable! He still has a purpose!

What's worse, it could get him to completely shut out Alison as corrupted by Menace/an enemy as such would better serve his desperate need to maintain the superhero narrative.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Disclosing that information has a hell of a lot of ways it could go terribly wrong, and achieve the exact opposite effect she would desire. I think you're being naive here. Hector is like an addict, telling him about the Menace encounter is just as likely to have him grasp onto the notion that Menace is still out there like a drowning man to a piece of driftwood as proof that no, the superhero thing REALLY IS still viable! He still has a purpose!

What's worse, it could get him to completely shut out Alison as corrupted by Menace/an enemy as such would better serve his desperate need to maintain the superhero narrative.

That and Hector seems to think Menace is the reason why Alison is afraid to be a superhero anymore.

In a way he's right, which will make for a super dramatic reveal later on!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I dunno about this page, it feels less like Allison is slapping some sense into Hector and more like she's kicking him while he's down. His dream is officially dead, he's still trying to cope. Plus even if he sort of blames her for it, he did do her a solid favour with helping with Cleaver, which no one else did. I know Allison is blunt to a fault and has a smart mouth, so I'll wait until the next few pages to judge but I'm really not taking her side now. She at the very least could have handled this with a little more grace. It just seems weird to see her straight up insult her friend while he's so distraught like this, usually she's had a little more tact than this while speaking to her friends.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I dunno about this page, it feels less like Allison is slapping some sense into Hector and more like she's kicking him while he's down. His dream is officially dead, he's still trying to cope. Plus even if he sort of blames her for it, he did do her a solid favour with helping with Cleaver, which no one else did. I know Allison is blunt to a fault and has a smart mouth, so I'll wait until the next few pages to judge but I'm really not taking her side now. She at the very least could have handled this with a little more grace. It just seems weird to see her straight up insult her friend while he's so distraught like this, usually she's had a little more tact than this while speaking to her friends.

His dream was dead the moment she walked off that talk show. Brad spelled it out well: Alison wasn't just the face of the Guardians. She WAS the Guardians. The rest were her support crew, and without her, they lacked the power they had in their hey day.

Anyone who accuses her of having tact though hasn't been reading the comic. She's definitely in the wrong, but it is definitely in character for her to be a super dick about things like this. Being a hammer all your life does that to you. She's Superman without the infallible morality and judgement. It's why I've fallen in love with this comic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this comic is super white, it's basically about the experience of incredibly privileged and aware of how unfairly tilted the world is in your favor and yet not being able to do anything about it and this part reflects the fact that well-meaning privileged people can still be incredibly hurtful or something idk

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well Allison has been pretty receptive and understanding to her friends before- for Feral, Sonar and Menace she was pretty willing to sit back and let them talk and give any advice or encouragement she could. She got caught flat footed or disagreed with them a lot, but she was never on the offensive, so to speak- she always had their viewpoint in mind and tried to address them on their terms. Then again, the next page could shut me up real good: Hector's been doing this for a while and maybe she's sick of his poo poo, or she's still on edge from the passivity shown at the party, or maybe she realizes she was out of line and apologizes and tries a bit more understanding. As it stands her entire character arc is that she's trying to prove she can understand others (hence the Nietzsche paper and the professor who disregarded her attempts at it) and the world enough to treat more than just the symptoms of institutional inequity and defeat criminal violence before it happens rather than as a reactive force. It seems odd for her to just shut down Hector, unless she sees too much of herself in him as he is now and figures that she's doing him a favour by shepherding him down her own path. Which I doubt he'll appreciate because that's the sort of thing you have to get to on your own.

Course I'm as privileged as they come so maybe there's just a whole ton of poo poo going over my head right now. \/:shobon:\/

e: by which I mean I'm the sort of person which Allison represents, so her bluntness and lack of understanding may translate to me. I'm a white decently well off cisman who is mostly straight, it happens and I'm trying to learn as best I can.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 10, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

this comic is super white, it's basically about the experience of incredibly privileged and aware of how unfairly tilted the world is in your favor and yet not being able to do anything about it and this part reflects the fact that well-meaning privileged people can still be incredibly hurtful or something idk
It's pretty common to see "superpowers as metaphor for persecution" (X-Men, et al), but I think this is the first comic I've seen that's really direct or explicit about "superpowers as metaphor for privilege".

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's pretty common to see "superpowers as metaphor for persecution" (X-Men, et al), but I think this is the first comic I've seen that's really direct or explicit about "superpowers as metaphor for privilege".

Yeah, whenever I see a show where someone has superhuman abilities and whines about wanting to be normal it's kinda baffling.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There was that suicidal villain guy with a Death Touch from Animal Man. He probably could have gone without that kind of superpower in his life. :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

There was that suicidal villain guy with a Death Touch from Animal Man. He probably could have gone without that kind of superpower in his life. :v:

Not being able to touch living things is pretty hellish.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lots of mutants get a pretty poo poo deal with their super powers. Like half of them are just "is a little bit better in a combat situation than a normal person but looks all hosed up and weird and everyone's scared of them"

Or like that one guy who's super power was to have two faces instead of one face. Kinda a bummer to be him.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

ChairMaster posted:

Or like that one guy who's super power was to have two faces instead of one face. Kinda a bummer to be him.

Don't you mean 'them'?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ChairMaster posted:

Lots of mutants get a pretty poo poo deal with their super powers. Like half of them are just "is a little bit better in a combat situation than a normal person but looks all hosed up and weird and everyone's scared of them"

If you look like a monstrous freak then yeah, but if you look normal and your powers are nothing but beneficial it's like whining about being a hetero white male in America. Nice avatar btw.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, superpowers only work as a story about marginalization/etc if they make you look hideous or if you can't control them, otherwise get hosed and stop whining :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, superpowers only work as a story about marginalization/etc if they make you look hideous or if you can't control them, otherwise get hosed and stop whining :allears:
Or if you're original-flavor Angel (The X-Men one, not the Buffy one) in a universe where being able to fly is about as rare as being able to whistle.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, he still gets to look gorgeous

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tollymain posted:

I dunno man, those wings have gotta be hella inconvenient.

Imagine trying to sleep! There are so few valid sleeping positions. And maybe they don't work for you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

He also gets a mostly-useless power that also happens to mark him very clearly as a Mutant. It's like being Beast or Nightcrawler, but without the actual cool parts of being Beast or Nightcrawler.

Edit VVV 'Pretty' mutations that don't protect at all against bullets. His options are "fly away", "run away", or "get loving murdered by evil mutants and mutant-haters alike".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's got a 'pretty' mutation, he's rich, and he can fly :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tollymain posted:

he's got a 'pretty' mutation, he's rich, and he can fly :v:

Yeah but like what about when he's taking a shower. What is that like? Is it hella uncomfortable and awkward?

I'm asking the hard questions.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's rich, i'm sure they can figure something out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Now that's a superpower worth having.

• Locked thread