Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

snowpiercer villains: *pushes poors into the mud* eat these bugs *wedgies another poor* eat it!

e: their masks don't have eyeholes. why? why. how would that possibly work?

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

R. Mute posted:

snowpiercer villains: *pushes poors into the mud* eat these bugs *wedgies another poor* eat it!

My whole problem with the movie is like wtf are they gonna do at the end? So the snow is melting, so what, it's still really loving cold, arctic levels of cold if a polar bear can just amble around like that. And what about repopulating the world, are there any other loving survivors out there or is the future of mankind really left up to some young Asian woman and the little black kid she's now suddenly charged with? :wtc: answer my questions damnit!

I know I shouldn't think too much about movies and stuff, but this is the kind of poo poo that bothers me about post-apocalyptic themed things.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

R. Mute posted:

*a group of canadians furiously starts typing*

in other news, i just reported a poster for the first time. i feel dirty, but some posters just shouldn't exist

can you say who and why? was it me? :ohdear:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*chris evans is in a super-serious fight in slow motion, people are dying*

*he slips over a fish*

*comical music plays*

e: a minute later, a new years party starts

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 10, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

can you say who and why? was it me? :ohdear:
it was the worst poster in the I/P thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

i'm watching snowpiercer and lol this is so heavy handed. personally, i can't identify the villains unless they're stealing babies, dealing out arbitrary punishments, literally drinking blood, actually wearing jackboots.

i bet the people who raved about this were the same ones that loved v for vendetta

but maybe it'll improve???

e: ohmy god they literally have a hodor-esque brute hahaha

V for Vendetta is a fun Nov 5th movie. It also manages to be less misogynistic than the graphic novel.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

R. Mute posted:

it was the worst poster in the I/P thread

I'm sure that guy has been reported hundreds of times by now.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It's not hard to be less misogynist than Alan Moore.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

V for Vendetta is a fun Nov 5th movie. It also manages to be less misogynistic than the graphic novel.
it is, but people took it way too seriously.

ReidRansom posted:

I'm sure that guy has been reported hundreds of times by now.
yeah, no doubt. i mean, gently caress.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

thanks to a flashback, chris evans has just remembered that fire creates light

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
V for Vendetta is a bad movie that should never have existed.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i get the feeling like this is one of those movies where you really shouldn't be thinking too much about the details (why a train? why do they still have the poors? what purpose do they have? how can the train be this short? and so on), but literally nothing makes sense. there's also all these weird tonal shifts, poor writing, poor cgi, poor everything.

how are they even going to fill this second hour? join me and find out on r mute watches films here in the experimental d&d chat thread

e: tilda swinton loving owns though.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Meanwhile, "Ancient Aliens" is up to doing detailed analysis of life on Mars.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Upon its release, the film was met with acclaim from critics. On film aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 95% rating, with an average score of 8.1/10, based on reviews from 150 critics. The site's consensus was "Snowpiercer offers an audaciously ambitious action spectacular for filmgoers numb to effects-driven blockbusters".[27] On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 based on reviews from critics, the film has a score of 84 based on 36 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".[28]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7uGEPgoXk

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It's a good movie, I just think you have poo poo taste, hth

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm only halfway through. they're now stopping at a sushi restaurant because revolutions make you hungry. tilda swinton just made a hamfisted comment about how she just loves balance, but chris evans isn't having any of it. he's making her eat bugs.

maybe it'll get better?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i watched a movie about a literal sentient tire named robert who has the ability to make living things' head explode with its mind and it sounds like a better movie than you are watching R mute

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

i'm only halfway through. they're now stopping at a sushi restaurant because revolutions make you hungry. tilda swinton just made a hamfisted comment about how she just loves balance, but chris evans isn't having any of it. he's making her eat bugs.

maybe it'll get better?

If you're hating it now you'll just hate it even more as it goes on :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Giorgio Tsoukalos trying to look serious is one of the funniest things on TV.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

alison pill just showed up and there's this really annoying little girl and it's pretty clear that the people in first class are super-nazis. if this all ends up as a condemnation of first class carriages in trains, then i'm fine with that. gently caress first class carriages.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

one bad guy is so mad he's now just wildly shooting doors. just shooting them up. it's like that gif with the swat guy kicking the door and then another cop just opens it for him.

e: he's now shooting his allies. i think the film is trying to tell me he's a real baddie.

e: i think it's christopher hitchens

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

e: he's now shooting his allies.

So he's Dick Cheney?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The thing about Snowpiercer is, all the silliness is 100% deliberate and honestly gives the movie most of its charm. It's really not too far removed from The Fifth Element, just with Korean quirkiness replacing the French quirkiness.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

So he's Dick Cheney?
that's another possibility, yeah. i think there's a real political message here somewhere, maybe it's about cheney and invading iraq. i'll figure it out. if they introduce a character with a small version of iraq instead of a head, i'll be sure to tell you.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
In case you guys were wondering what Mike Huckabee is up to these days, according to this ad on this inspirational christian movie channel my mom is watching he's on a MISSION to ensure that EVERY CHILD IN AMERICA learns about GOD'S role in american history. Buy his book to find out how!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The thing about Snowpiercer is, all the silliness is 100% deliberate and honestly gives the movie most of its charm. It's really not too far removed from The Fifth Element, just with Korean quirkiness replacing the French quirkiness.
the campiness, sure. like tilda swinton, the fish (haha fish!), the section with alison pill. it's deliberate all right. but it clashes with the rest of the scenes, it doesn't make sense and there's also a bunch of stupid poo poo that clearly isn't deliberate.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

chris evans talking about cannibalism while crying. silly as gently caress. "i know that babies taste best"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh my god michael cera is now fighting chris evans

no wait, wrong film

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I haven't seen snowpiercer yet but now I really want to. Good job R. Mute.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

chris evans talking about cannibalism while crying. silly as gently caress. "i know that babies taste best"

Yeah I laughed hard at that one.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

TRAIN

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

DO YOU WANT TO PLAY TRAINS, CHRIS EVANS?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*softly whispers* choo-choo

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Is the film's theme song "Love Train"? :v:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it did not get better. i think the final message was that facism is actually cool and good or that all humans should die so polar bears could continue to live in their natural mountain habitat.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if anybody honestly unironically liked this film and not in a so bad it's good kind of way, please explain this to me. please.

e: oh god, cineD, oh god

Snowpiercer (2014) 4.5/5
What could make Snowpiercer feel very rote - its linear, almost video-game like structure of moving through the carriages - is tactfully played as its strength. You're genuinely excited and tense throughout about what is going to be in the next carriage, and the film never lets down by constantly shifting in tone - while still existing enough within the themes and never ignoring them - that the whole film is a visceral thrill ride from beginning to end. The casting is perfect here too, and no character feels generic as everyone has their own unique details, even the smaller details. Also, just for the record, I thought "that line" in Chris Evans monologue at the end was actually really powerful...

i'm laughing irl

i should just bold the whole thing lmao

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
More movies should have a "video-game like structure".
:goonsay:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

if anybody honestly unironically liked this film and not in a so bad it's good kind of way, please explain this to me. please.

e: oh god, cineD, oh god

Snowpiercer (2014) 4.5/5
What could make Snowpiercer feel very rote - its linear, almost video-game like structure of moving through the carriages - is tactfully played as its strength. You're genuinely excited and tense throughout about what is going to be in the next carriage, and the film never lets down by constantly shifting in tone - while still existing enough within the themes and never ignoring them - that the whole film is a visceral thrill ride from beginning to end. The casting is perfect here too, and no character feels generic as everyone has their own unique details, even the smaller details. Also, just for the record, I thought "that line" in Chris Evans monologue at the end was actually really powerful...

i'm laughing irl

i should just bold the whole thing lmao

I mean, I don't think it deserves the high critical fanfare it received, but it's not a so-bad-its-good movie, it's not even a bad movie. It's just an alright scifi action blockbuster that really doesn't need to be anything more than it already is. :shrug:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i mean, i don't hate it. it's not awful. it's just also very much Not Good. like, lower 40s or something. but at the same time, it's a film i just can't imagine people actually straight up liking. i can watch a film, dislike it but still get that other people might like it. but not here. let alone imagine someone praise the tasty babies line as really powerful or say the characters weren't generic or calling the film tense. but here we are. reality is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

rscott posted:

i watched a movie about a literal sentient tire named robert who has the ability to make living things' head explode with its mind and it sounds like a better movie than you are watching R mute

That was a good movie that I enjoyed watching

• Locked thread