Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Powershift posted:

I'm probably the most vocal against it. They have corporate sponsors, they do car reviews of retail cars, where the car companies fly them everywhere to do it. Half of their content is producing car commercials. The first episode of /tuned was a commercial for a tuning shop. Hot rod garage and road kill can easily find other sponsors because it's like "hey, we're putting brakes on a car, buy willwood brakes on and paint the car with eastood paint!". What can drive do? "Today we're driving the latest mercedes shitbox, buy a ford!"

Proponents shreik "its only four dollars, stop being a cheapass", but if 10 channels suddenly want $4/month for their poo poo, suddenly you're a loving cable subscriber with no local news. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of value.

Honestly, I was referring more to Roadkill's Dickies sponsorship with that bit. Like how at the start of every episode and during their little fadeouts, they have the big "Sponsored by Dickies" splash screen. It's unobtrusive, well integrated, and they don't just constantly go BUY DICKIES BUY DICKIES DICKIES MADE US TALK UP THEIR PRODUCTS RAH. You'd think Drive could get some sort of sponsorship deal like that, you know? Hell, get Toyo, Meguiar's, Armor All, etc. to front some funding in exchange for that sort of sponsorship / product placement.

Also, for the record, i'm very much against the Subscriber model they're going with as well. Yeah, $4 is cheap but I'm not paying $4 a month to watch Big Muscle and Tuned, since I could really give a toss about Harris drifting some random new supercar around a track. $4 a month for two shows, both of which usually run maybe 20 minutes tops? Nah.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

poo poo. There's better ways to do this and as well, the subscription content is NOT availible to many countries. That instant gets my hackles up, being in acountry where content is denied on "regional" grounds. gently caress anyone that does that.
I do like that MCM posted this today, while celebrating 100 million views:

Mighty Car Mods posted:

It's probably a good time to respond to something that you may have read about by now. YouTube has implemented a paid subscription system where channels can choose to take a payment before you can view the videos. Some channels have already switched over. A lot of you have been asking us if we're going to go down the same path and if you are going to have to pay to watch our videos from now on.

We are happy to let you know that MCM episodes will remain free, just as they have been for the last seven years. We created MCM because we love cars and we love filming and we want all of you to be able to share in that no matter where you are, how old you are or what your financial situation is. And we're proud to be able to do this completely independently from a network, broadcaster, publisher or media group. With the support of some select sponsors, and you guys out there, we've managed to retain 100% creative control over everything we do, and we're incredibly proud of that.

I am happy to pay on a per-video basis if /Drive have something that looks really interesting to me, but I'm not committing to a subscription on the offchance they might.

Powershift posted:

Proponents shreik "its only four dollars, stop being a cheapass", but if 10 channels suddenly want $4/month for their poo poo, suddenly you're a loving cable subscriber with no local news. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of value.

EXACTLY. I know it sounds quite stupid, but a big chunk of it is that I don't want to encourage this model.

leica posted:

But that's victim blaming and Tony Stewart is a murderer :colbert:

That's what people are saying on facebook anyway.
I'm afraid that, barring any further details, I'm in the "you dressed in black and walked across a poorly lit live track at night, what did you think was going to happen?" camp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Honestly, I was referring more to Roadkill's Dickies sponsorship with that bit. Like how at the start of every episode and during their little fadeouts, they have the big "Sponsored by Dickies" splash screen. It's unobtrusive, well integrated, and they don't just constantly go BUY DICKIES BUY DICKIES DICKIES MADE US TALK UP THEIR PRODUCTS RAH. You'd think Drive could get some sort of sponsorship deal like that, you know? Hell, get Toyo, Meguiar's, Armor All, etc. to front some funding in exchange for that sort of sponsorship / product placement.

But dickes makes workwear, and they're working on cars. Drive doesn't pay for or install tires, polish cars, or even clean them with armorall.

They skid expensive cars around a racetrack and say it's not as good as some other car completely ignoring price. They would have to wedge in ads for completely unrelated items.

Considering the product they produce and the manner in which they produce it, asking for money for it feels like middle class white folks trying to get kickstarter to pay for their vacation.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Point. Counterpoint: When's the last time you've seen the Roadkill guys blatantly wearing Dickies clothing while working on their project cars? :v:

I dunno though. I'd be okay with them being "sponsored" by even Monster, Red Bull, etc. at this point as an alternative to their content being locked behind a paywall.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

bandman posted:

Question for the divorced parents out there:

How did you cope with not being there for your kids every day? That is the part that is tearing me up inside and the only reason I haven't walked out yet. gently caress my wife, she can go gently caress herself. I feel like I'm going to miss my kids so much that I'll never be able to deal with it.

Pm me if you ever want to talk through it. Best decision I've ever made in my life. Short answer is you value and appreciate the time you spend together, and take comfort in the fact the kids get to see you happy and not a bitter, angry person.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Point. Counterpoint: When's the last time you've seen the Roadkill guys blatantly wearing Dickies clothing while working on their project cars? :v:

I dunno though. I'd be okay with them being "sponsored" by even Monster, Red Bull, etc. at this point as an alternative to their content being locked behind a paywall.

It's drat near a page out of their flyer!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It wouldn't be about being sponsored in a manner relating to the cars they're reviewing, but in a manner relating to the people who make up the audience. It doesn't have to be tied to the content directly as long as the sponsor feels they're reaching the people they need to.

With shows about working on cars, there's a pretty good chance the people watching also like working on cars, so products related to this make good sponsorship options.

Watching /Drive review a Ferrari doesn't mean you're in the market for a Ferrari, but you do probably like them and care about cars in general, so a plug for Shell fuels would be an example of appropriate sponsorship, even if it's a little corny and obvious like a deliberate shot of them topping up a 458 with Nitro + Unicon Fart Speciale.

I don't mind Mighty Car Mods having somewhat obvious "And then we put the drain plug back in and refilled with ~*CASTROL*~, because it's really good oil" moments, because it keeps the show going and doing what they're doing, and I don't think it particularly betrays any principles as long as they feel that, yes, Castrol is pretty good oil, and if they bung us a wad to say their name instead of just saying "oil", gently caress it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ See, that makes sense and would work perfectly to me.

Powershift posted:

... Well poo poo. My bad, I guess I never noticed, haha.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 10, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I think every video MCM has ever made has been sponsored by JUST CAR INSURANCE. I don't even know if that is a real company, but that poo poo works.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

savesthedayrocks posted:

Pm me if you ever want to talk through it. Best decision I've ever made in my life. Short answer is you value and appreciate the time you spend together, and take comfort in the fact the kids get to see you happy and not a bitter, angry person.

I don't have PMs, but that's what I keep telling myself. That the kids can tell we're miserable and hate each other, and it is making them unhappy. My worry with that situation is that it will steel my wife's resolve to continue to be the most bitter, unhappy person in existence, and she will try to turn the kids against me somehow. Because she is so mean and vindictive when it comes to me that she absolutely would pull some bullshit like that.

I'm not even worried about legal fees, as my family dislikes her enough that they've offered to pay for my lawyer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carteret posted:

I think every video MCM has ever made has been sponsored by JUST CAR INSURANCE. I don't even know if that is a real company, but that poo poo works.

It is, and their specialty is insuring modded cars, to ensure expensive car parts are covered. It works really well for both sides.

The problem with drive is, there isn't really anything secondary advertising that lends itself to what they do that isn't better directed elsewhere.

Drive also already makes advertising videos. They have a whole section of videos called "sponsored content", a whole bunch of featurettes on audi quattro, had a "behind the scenes" of the BMW driftmob commercial, and in chris harris's "how to drift" video, had an annotation with a link to the commercial and multiple refrences to the commercial throghout.

So far, the laferrari teaser has 277k views, and the full video on driveplus has 15,300. so still, only 5.5% of the people interested have used the free trial for driveplus. If 100% of those stay on as paying subscribers, that's $61,200 a month, worth about the same as 15,300,000 unpaid video views per month. The motor trend channel gets about 5 million a week. the regular drive channel gets about 2 million a week.

For the past 2 years, drive had youtube underwriting their content, and didn't use that opportunity for anything other than long vacations and massive ego stroking. There's no companion site to go look at pictures of the tuned or big muscle feature cars, there's no drive merchandise beyond a black t-shirt with their logo on amazon. There's no way whatsoever to support them between episodes. There's no interaction with anybody involved beyond youtube comments. With MCM

/Drive is an example of a bunch of assholes with all the advantages possible who couldn't be doing it more wrong.
MCM is an example of two guys who couldn't be doing it more right.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

For the life of me I can't find the hole where the steering column anti rotation pin goes in my car. I didn't accomplish poo poo this weekend, what a waste.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

bandman posted:

I don't have PMs, but that's what I keep telling myself. That the kids can tell we're miserable and hate each other, and it is making them unhappy. My worry with that situation is that it will steel my wife's resolve to continue to be the most bitter, unhappy person in existence, and she will try to turn the kids against me somehow. Because she is so mean and vindictive when it comes to me that she absolutely would pull some bullshit like that.

I'm not even worried about legal fees, as my family dislikes her enough that they've offered to pay for my lawyer.

I was you 3 years ago. The thing about kids is that they are super perceptive. They can see through that stuff. My ex tried with both my kids (8,5) and they are closer to me know than ever.

My only advice is when you do it, don't go overboard on the "special" activities with them to overcompensate the time you don't see them. They are just as happy at the park laughing with you as taking them to an amusement park.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

For the life of me I can't find the hole where the steering column anti rotation pin goes in my car. I didn't accomplish poo poo this weekend, what a waste.

Send a pm to CSB i have it on good authority that hes an expert at locating holes

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

13 INCH DICK posted:

Send a pm to CSB i have it on good authority that hes an expert at locating holes

This whole undercurrent of inside jokes, that I am not a part of, intimidates and scares me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

T1g4h posted:

Also, for the record, i'm very much against the Subscriber model they're going with as well. Yeah, $4 is cheap but I'm not paying $4 a month to watch Big Muscle and Tuned, since I could really give a toss about Harris drifting some random new supercar around a track. $4 a month for two shows, both of which usually run maybe 20 minutes tops? Nah.

The funny thing is, the first time I noticed that sponsorship bit, I considered buying some. The pair I have are better than the faded glory carpenters jeans I currently have half a million of for roughly the same price. Knowing that they are sponsoring my favorite show makes me more likely to buy more.

Might be the first time in history an ad hasn't made me want to buy LESS of a product.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

This whole undercurrent of inside jokes, that I am not a part of, intimidates and scares me.

GOOD

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just got back from driving my buddy's new-to-him 996TT. drat that is one fast car :feelsgood:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Powershift posted:

/Drive is an example of a bunch of assholes with all the advantages possible who couldn't be doing it more wrong.
MCM is an example of two guys who couldn't be doing it more right.

Couldn't agree more. Though, I wouldn't call Farah an rear end in a top hat, at least he still does car videos and cool stuff on his personal channel. And Musto at least seems like a rad guy.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Farah hasn't been on /DRIVE in a long time unless I missed something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

Just got back from driving my buddy's new-to-him 996TT. drat that is one fast car :feelsgood:

One of the few cars that legitimately scared me putting the hammer down. Sure people may drive faster cars without a problem but it so far exceeds the capabilities of my body that it would probably be the end of me.

Got to drive it when a customer came in in an 04 996TT, handed me the keys, and proclaimed his issue to be a noise at speed. When asked for clarification he just repeated dead pan "At. Speed."

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

thebigcow posted:

Farah hasn't been on /DRIVE in a long time unless I missed something.

He's been doing /TUNED pretty regularly as far as I can remember. The only times he's not doing /TUNED are the times when Musto is doing /BIG MUSCLE because for whatever reason they alternate between the two. One season of /DRIVE has Farah, the next Musto.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

It is, and their specialty is insuring modded cars, to ensure expensive car parts are covered. It works really well for both sides.

Interesting, didnt know that. It looks more targeted to the fart cannon ricer crowd rather than the deer stalker wearing grey beard enthusits that Shannons cover from what I see.

Just Car's policy says they dont insure classics or race metal. Shannons is "Bring that poo poo on baby!". Still worth looking at for street cars tho.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 11, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ, my father is already eyeballing more buildings to buy.

Here on the right is the first building he is currently negotiating on.

On the left is a former Masonic Temple that has been vacant for 12 years.

Perfect for apartments. He's nuts.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So the rusty altima snapped both rear endlinks in one short drive, thought about replacing them but after a few looks at how seized everything is and a failed attempted at removing some bolts, I grabbed the sawsall and cut that fucker out, no more loud knocking in the rear and it's one step closer to being a rally car, give no fucks. :colbert:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QSxKgfxveU

Just gonna set this down here.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'm not sure how many of you read Petrolicious, but they've started a petition to change the 25 year import law to 15 years:
http://www.petrolicious.com/petrolisti-unite-time-to-rewrite-a-foolish-law
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...rs-and/PhZ4RMgz

I totally realize that even if it does get 100k signatures it's chances are quite low, but at least the conversation is there. We gotta start somewhere!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm not sure how many of you read Petrolicious, but they've started a petition to change the 25 year import law to 15 years:

I totally realize that even if it does get 100k signatures it's chances are quite low, but at least the conversation is there. We gotta start somewhere!

Even if it got 10 million signatures, car dealers have far too many friends in politics(or are the politican themselves) for this to ever go anywhere.

Tesla, an american car manufacturer building cars in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and is primarily competing with german made vehicles is constantly getting shat on state by state because of the pull dealers and dealer associations have in government. They're not going to accept more external competition in the most profitable sector of their business, however miniscule.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Powershift posted:

Even if it got 10 million signatures, car dealers have far too many friends in politics(or are the politican themselves) for this to ever go anywhere.

Tesla, an american car manufacturer building cars in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and is primarily competing with german made vehicles is constantly getting shat on state by state because of the pull dealers and dealer associations have in government. They're not going to accept more external competition in the most profitable sector of their business, however miniscule.

What? Do you really think that 15 year old foreign cars will compete with new cars? This isn't going back to the old days, this is just opening the door for more interesting classics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sinestro posted:

What? Do you really think that 15 year old foreign cars will compete with new cars? This isn't going back to the old days, this is just opening the door for more interesting classics.

Dealers make far more money off of used cars. Imported cars would be a massively small drop in the bucket, but dealers would more than likely block their importation rather than lose 1 out of 1000 sales to them.

Car dealers are cunts, each and every one of them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I did find the thread in SAS about Stewart and :stare: after reflecting on the situation more it is probably just an unfortunate event fueled by poor decisions made by a couple of people. I'm surprise GBS hasn't started a horrible photoshop/gif thread on it yet.

As a casual viewer of the /Drive channel I am just now learning of the pay to watch thing. While I might miss it I certainly won't pay for the privilege to watch YouTube. I'm just not a rabid fan I guess. I get more entertainment from the projects and musings of AI to educate me on things automotive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mat_Drinks posted:

This is the third time I've posted it in this thread so I will put it in capital letters and hope that somebody reads it. THE WHITE HOUSE STOPPED RESPONDING TO THESE PETITIONS SEVERAL YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LIMITED TIME THING. THERE IS NO POINT TO CREATING A PETITION ON THAT SITE. THEY SHOULD HAVE CLOSED SUBMISSIONS BUT I GUESS THEY FORGOT. PLEASE TELL THE PEOPLE AT THAT SITE.

Sorry, I am not trying to be rude but it keeps getting posted.
Ok, I see it says certified, so it's some kind of cop vehicle? Is it hard to get the digital speedo working?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A little late to the the TS chat:

But seriously? Stay the gently caress in your car till poo poo slows down. Isn't that the basics of safety and racing?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just got tickets to NIN/Soundgarden as a birthday present for my wife.

Hopefully she's happy, because that could have bought quite a few bike parts/accessories.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

Was this meant as a joke? :confused:

It looks like two dudes in generic work clothes, which I guess is what Dickies is, but it's not like there are logos plastered everywhere on it. It never struck me as product placement, since you basically have to know exactly what Dickies work clothes look like to even recognize it.

Personally I find the sponsored segments of Hot Rod Garage a little grating, but at least they're for car-related products and it's 1000x better than what /DRIVE is doing. I think MCM has hit pretty much the perfect balance. Their normal sponsorship is very unobtrusive, and Castrol product placement in the Gramps build videos wasn't that bad either. Most of the time they just showed the Castrol bottle without going "this CASTROL oil from CASTROL sure is the most awesome CASTROL oil ever" or anything.

E: VVVV I know they're in a slightly different situation, but I still think they should have gone with per-video payments instead of a fixed monthly subscription with nebulous promises of videos to (hopefully) come.

And I've kinda grown sick of the content /DRIVE does. Who cares about the latest supercar being drifted around on a random race track? Who seriously wants to listen to Mike Spinelli wank all over himself? The only interesting stuff they have is Big Muscle and Tuned (they're relatively cheap to shoot, too!), and they hardly ever update anymore. The Inside Koenigsegg videos were good as well, they need to do a lot more stuff like that.

And ditch the World's Fastest Car Show and fire Leo Parente.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 11, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

FWIW, the Motortrend (and auto car, EVO etc) will be promotional loss leaders for the magazine, and don't have to make money. And MCM, RCR are considerably cheaper to film.

Drive's F40 video cost £9k to make and despite getting 2 million views only made £4800, it didn't even over the production costs. Do you not think if the sponsorship route would have worked they would have done it? Much like nobody want to pay for online content, no advertiser is going to pay enough to cover production costs of a show like drive.

If you think they are bellends, or you don't think the content is good enough (really?), fair enough, but that does not change the business case for what they are doing. For it to be able to pay salary for not just Harris, Farah (who while being personally wealthy, still deserve to earn something, and that's coming from a dirty socialist) etc it has but for the crew and other staff, it has to work as a sustainable business, and from that point of view it was subscription or bust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

stump posted:

FWIW, the Motortrend (and auto car, EVO etc) will be promotional loss leaders for the magazine, and don't have to make money. And MCM, RCR are considerably cheaper to film.

Drive's F40 video cost £9k to make and despite getting 2 million views only made £4800, it didn't even over the production costs. Do you not think if the sponsorship route would have worked they would have done it? Much like nobody want to pay for online content, no advertiser is going to pay enough to cover production costs of a show like drive.

If you think they are bellends, or you don't think the content is good enough (really?), fair enough, but that does not change the business case for what they are doing. For it to be able to pay salary for not just Harris, Farah (who while being personally wealthy, still deserve to earn something, and that's coming from a dirty socialist) etc it has but for the crew and other staff, it has to work as a sustainable business, and from that point of view it was subscription or bust.

That might be all well and good, but you know there are countries that are denied access to /Drive due to this regional bullshit? As in even if they wanted ot hand over money to watch, they cant?

And as I said, that poo poo is just loving wrong. They can go gently caress themselves. They either make access for everyone or gently caress off.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

That might be all well and good, but you know there are countries that are denied access to /Drive due to this regional bullshit? As in even if they wanted ot hand over money to watch, they cant?

And as I said, that poo poo is just loving wrong. They can go gently caress themselves. They either make access for everyone or gently caress off.

Yes, I'm aware of that. That wasn't Drive's decision, it was due to YouTube and or local regulations. I agree that part is a total fuckup and they should have fixed it before launch. From what I understand they are fixing that now, and may be leaving YT because of it - they have cancelled all yearly subscriptions in case they switch platforms.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah the whole country thing is a shitshow because of Youtube and their implementation of DRM as I understand it.

What I'm saying here is that DRM is horrible and the DMCA can go straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Still having too much fun with electrolysis over here:

Brand-new 20 year old slip yokes

Rear driveshafts

Gross soup.

• Locked thread