Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

netcat posted:

Wait wait wait; the dream sequences are different if you have low rep?!

Absolutely. Charname acts a lot more aggressive and takes control in his dreams. It's futile, but it does flesh out the character that he's going all "yo gently caress your poo poo, I do what I want".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I imagine they had at least an idea, and decided blowing their load on that revelation in the freaking epilogue text was a bad way to approach things.

There's really nothing in the cut epilogues that you couldn't figure out from Alaundo's prophecy & the ending cinematic.

e: does anyone know if there's a mods that remove the new EE content from the games, by the way? I like the quality-of-life improvements, but I'm not a big fan of the rest.

'lo and behold, there is one at least for BG1: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30322/bg-ee-mod-disable-ee-npcs-ee-items-available-in-shops

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 10, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

So how strong is the Avenger druid kit once you reach the later stages of SoA and ToB?

Running through BGI(Tutu) and the start of II it feels like the only Druid kit with some decent bite, but I want to start a character that'll survive or thrive through late-game content and I'm worried an Avenger would fall off pretty steeply when approaching lategame.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a medical mystery posted:

So how strong is the Avenger druid kit once you reach the later stages of SoA and ToB?

Running through BGI(Tutu) and the start of II it feels like the only Druid kit with some decent bite, but I want to start a character that'll survive or thrive through late-game content and I'm worried an Avenger would fall off pretty steeply when approaching lategame.

Druids get nature's beauty which is perhaps the best divine spell in the game. Beyond that, their spell list has some solid spells in it like Insect Plague (5) and Conjure Fire Elemental (6).

At high levels, Druids get elemental summoning and greater elemental summoning as HLAs which are fantastic summons.

You're not gonna be as devastating as a high level mage (but what is?) but Druids are more than playable and get some nice unique spells.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Speaking of druids, I just did a recent BGT reinstall (I bought EE but steam games don't play well with my current junky PC, and I actually kinda like the BGT UI more) and am considering a playthrough of human fighter dualled to druid at level 9 in BG2. I know mages are supposed to be the ultimate ballers in BG2, but Edwin exists, I dislike Jaheira, and I've really taken a shine to my half-elf fighter/druid party leader in IWD. Is this viable or will I be severely gimping myself in the late-game?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of druids, I just did a recent BGT reinstall (I bought EE but steam games don't play well with my current junky PC, and I actually kinda like the BGT UI more) and am considering a playthrough of human fighter dualled to druid at level 9 in BG2. I know mages are supposed to be the ultimate ballers in BG2, but Edwin exists, I dislike Jaheira, and I've really taken a shine to my half-elf fighter/druid party leader in IWD. Is this viable or will I be severely gimping myself in the late-game?

That's completely viable, and you'll get your fighter levels back in short order. You only need 125,000 xp to get to druid 10 as opposed to 250,000 xp for mage 10.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The added spells all remain useful, the extra shapes not so much, but for early and mid game they're a lot better than the default ones. The strength loss doesn't matter much since there's a bunch of strength increasing items and the constitution loss just means you have to put a couple extra points in it at character creation. It should be fine, and as mentioned Druids get Nature's Beauty and Insect Plague (or as I like to call it, "Oh god not the bees")

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wolfsheim posted:

Fighter/Druid dual is hella awesome but really

Do yourself a favor

Do a Berserker/Druid dual, it's superior in every way.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fighter/Druid dual is hella awesome but really

Do yourself a favor

Do a Berserker/Druid dual, it's superior in every way.

I almost feel kinda bad going berserker, it's like inquisitor in that it is better than every other class kit in every way that matters :(

EDIT: Also, in regards to weapon proficiency, does it work like fighter/druid where I'll still be restricted to druid weaponry (so I should avoid putting slots in bows, for example) or once I get my fighter levels back will I be able to go hog wild with greatswords and such?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 10, 2014

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Wolfsheim posted:

I almost feel kinda bad going berserker, it's like inquisitor in that it is better than every other class kit in every way that matters :(

EDIT: Also, in regards to weapon proficiency, does it work like fighter/druid where I'll still be restricted to druid weaponry (so I should avoid putting slots in bows, for example) or once I get my fighter levels back will I be able to go hog wild with greatswords and such?

You will be restricted to druid only weapons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Dootman posted:

You will be restricted to druid only weapons.

In that case, are there any druid weapons that wouldn't suck to cart around for all of BG1 as a fighter? I recall a distinct lack of good scimitars, quarterstaffs and clubs in that game.

Also, which is a better ranged option; darts or slings? I recall someone saying darts used STR so they were better than they appeared? Or am I mixing that up?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I need to just gently caress around in the sound files more often.

You know how Kevin Michael Richardson - the narrator and Sarevok - told you that you had to gather your party before venturing forth? And one of the first mods was to remove it because people got fed up? There's a load of other voiced error messages which would probably have frustrated gamers enough to get the poor bugger lynched. Every time you can't rest for whatever reason, you can't equip a weapon or unequip it, your spell gets disrupted and on and on.

Also lines from Gauntlet ("Red Wizard needs food badly", "Blue Elf is about to die") for some reason, as well as a couple of others which reveal things about planned features. There are separate lines for magical and mechanical traps, and a warning that a store is overstocked with that item.

The best though, is "We have detected that you are using a pirated copy. Your hard drive will be formatted in ten seconds. Thank you."

The VOICE scenes did actually get far enough to have voice actors too, it seems. This Bhaal sounds rather like PST's Transcendant One.

Most of the minor characters (Warrior, White Knight, Sorceror) in those scenes have acted lines - the Warrior is Scottish - and .cre files too. The Knight and Warrior's .cres bother to reference their lines, though the sorceror is a grab bag of stuff from Drizzt and references the .dlg file above his actual one. The Woman has a .cre, and even references sounds as if her lines were voiced, but the files for the sounds themselves don't exist. This thing now seems like it might have been pretty close to making it in.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 10, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm starting a BG1:EE berserker character. I've never played BG1 or BG2, but I've read some 'new player' stuff and the manual and many pages of this thread.

At character creation, I have to dump points into various proficiencies. How do I not screw this up so that halfway through the game I haven't wasted points? Like, I probably don't want to put points into 4 different weapon types, but what weapon types will overlap with party members? Obviously I don't want 3 people in the party with long sword skills but only 1 cool long sword and 2 useless +3 maces or whatever.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Don't worry too much about it. AFAIK there are no weapons in BG1 that rise above +2 enchantment and there are enough +1s that a reasonably successful party won't need to ration them. In BG1 I believe that Ajantis and Khalid have long sword proficiency (maybe just Khalid?) and there are no shortage of good long swords through the series. Minsc has two-handed sword proficiency and that might be more of an issue. Good clubs and bastard swords are typically scarce.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

pmchem posted:

I'm starting a BG1:EE berserker character. I've never played BG1 or BG2, but I've read some 'new player' stuff and the manual and many pages of this thread.

At character creation, I have to dump points into various proficiencies. How do I not screw this up so that halfway through the game I haven't wasted points? Like, I probably don't want to put points into 4 different weapon types, but what weapon types will overlap with party members? Obviously I don't want 3 people in the party with long sword skills but only 1 cool long sword and 2 useless +3 maces or whatever.

Depends on what party members you want. Most members are built with 1 or 2 points of proficiency in multiple weapon areas, so you can kind of build them the way you want. A cleric or druid will always use blunt weapons instead of piercing or slashing, so keep that in mind if you're not taking cleric/druid yourself. Longswords and shortswords are a plenty in BG1 if I remember correctly. Maces and warhammers are a decent amount as well, as well as two-handers.

BG1 lacks katanas and clubs, so don't really take those.

But then again, min/maxing is for schmucks. It's totally possible to go through BG without too much trouble if you don't deliberately handicap yourself and save a lot. Just remember to sidequest and, if you get stuck somewhere, roll to another area and do that before trying again. Some encounters simply can't be done at low level and it shows, unless you game the system.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

"Red Wizard needs food badly"

loving Edwin.
This all sounds cool, I don't really mod BG1 but this is petty and annoying enough, give me some time

e: weirrd, all the sounds are correctly assigned already.

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 10, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Avenger Druids are easily the most viable single class druid because their extra spells scale well. Improved Invisibility and Nature's Beauty in particular combo especially well.

Druids with HLA's are pretty powerful because the bizarre Druid spell progression table gives you a jump to 6 spells per day for every spell level up to and including 7th level once you get to 15th level (3 million xp). This is a really great power jump, and means that you will get more uses out of Priest HLA's than Clerics will at comparable xp level.

Of the other shapechange forms, one is surprisingly useful. Sword Spider has 5 APR and very effective poison on hit which can be used to really great effect when you buff the spider.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wolfsheim posted:

Berserker/Druid is alllll about the Impaler. And/or the Staff of the Ram.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You know how Kevin Michael Richardson - the narrator and Sarevok - told you that you had to gather your party before venturing forth? And one of the first mods was to remove it because people got fed up? There's a load of other voiced error messages which would probably have frustrated gamers enough to get the poor bugger lynched. Every time you can't rest for whatever reason, you can't equip a weapon or unequip it, your spell gets disrupted and on and on.

Please make a mod to add those in, tia.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself.

Some of those ambushes are really nasty in BG1.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boogle posted:

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself.

Some of those ambushes are really nasty in BG1.

Losing a fighter PC to getting ambushed by four ettercaps SUCKS.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Longswords and shortswords are a plenty in BG1 if I remember correctly. Maces and warhammers are a decent amount as well, as well as two-handers.

BG1 lacks katanas and clubs, so don't really take those.

Thanks for the replies. How about BG2? Any weapon types in short supply there?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

So I just got this, which seemed like kind of a steal at that price. Years back I tried both Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, but ended up dropping both. I'll try them out again now, but got any general advice?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Arivia posted:

Losing a fighter PC to getting ambushed by four ettercaps SUCKS.

There's sounds for that too. It's mildly disconcerting to have the narrator himself tell you that "Your main character has been killed. You must restart the game."

(Given there are all lines for "The main character has died" with no restart proviso, and "The party has been killed. You must restart the game" it seem likely that PC death wasn't an insta game over at some point in development.)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm trying but it's not working! :saddowns:

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I think it's interesting because this is one of the few places in BG1 that a Bhaalspawn appears to actually be trying to do what Bhaal says. Sarevok thinks he's tamed the last shreds of Bhaal's will within the power, that he can resurrect the divinity without the consciousness and take it for his own; the dreams you get at low rep are all about gently caress Bhaal, Got Mine. You toss aside his dagger, not because it's evil, but because you want to throttle Mulahey with your bare hands. It's a more genuine and, dare I say, subtle evil that BioWare's grand plots and pulpy writing don't usually admit: venal, cruel, ambitious, power hungry, but not the unreasoning murder machine that so often turns up - and which Bhaal represents. That this sequence ignores that and goes the 'loyal' path, at the very least until right at the end (and that's all so disjointed and incomplete it's impossible to tell what's going on), maybe says to me that this was cut not just for time reasons but also because it didn't fit with the vision for the game.

On that subject, I have the dreams and ending text in a document (with what I presume are location markers of some sort - BAV 19267 for the good version of the first dream, BAV 19268 for the evil version et cetera), but NI can't track them down in game. Is that text actually stored in the game files? If so, does anyone know where it is?

All strings are stored in dialog.tlk. 19267 or whatever is the string index. You can open it in NI by going to Edit --> Dialog.tlk

19267, for example, is

Baldur's Gate posted:

You do not dream often, but tonight the visions are vivid indeed. Long have you walked, but now you find yourself back amidst the stones of Candlekeep. Your former home looms before you, the drab walls just as you remember them. Over the barricades you can see your old room, and you wonder if it really was as small as it appears now.

As you stand before the keep, a familiar figure comes into view. Gorion stands before you, but his visage is shadowy and weak. He is dead in your dreams, as in life.

The phantom of your foster father mutely walks towards the woods, towards supposed safety, and beckons for you to follow as he did once before. This time you remain behind, knowing what is to come.

Before your eyes, phantoms of the past re-enact the pathetic scene that must have taken place in your absence. Clad in armor assuredly magical, a figure strides from the darkness. Admittedly a powerful mage in his youth, Gorion is all but helpless before the onslaught. As he falls, the scene begins again, replaying over and over. Each successive viewing makes the unknown warrior all the more impressive.

As you stare at the murderer of your former mentor, one thought coalesces in your mind: you will have such power as this. Whatever it takes, you will have all that he does, and more. With that, a passage becomes clear through the darkened wood, and you wonder how you could have missed it. The trees close behind you as you walk, but you are unconcerned. The path feels right, and will assuredly give you what you seek. It seems to promise this in a voice you know, but yet have never heard.

The image of Gorion's death replays in your mind throughout the night.

You get used to it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Quick Baldur's Gate 1 question: I have been told that Rashad the healer goes somewhere in the evenings and I should follow him but I've camped outside of the Flaming Fist Headquarters for like a full day and nothing happens. Am I just doing it wrong or is that just a dead end?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He never actually leaves. I think they tell you he does just to make him look more suspicious.

Because, of course, he is suspicious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

In that case, are there any druid weapons that wouldn't suck to cart around for all of BG1 as a fighter? I recall a distinct lack of good scimitars, quarterstaffs and clubs in that game.

Also, which is a better ranged option; darts or slings? I recall someone saying darts used STR so they were better than they appeared? Or am I mixing that up?

There aren't any magic clubs in Bg1, although I think if you're running BG:EE that they added one or more magical clubs, but don't quote on me that.

Staves and Scimitars are perfectly viable. There is a +1 staff available early on, and there is also a +3 quarterstaff which you can buy in Ulgoth's Beard. It's not even that expensive, and you can access Ulgoth's Beard at any time. Just go there to the inn and buy that staff when you have the coin and bam you've got a weapon better than almost any other in Bg1.

Scimitars are a little trickier. Drizzt has a good one to use if you're not adverse to killing a good aligned NPC (and he's also quite tough to take on). Beyond that, the only good scimitars you will find will be in Durlag's Tower which is not an area you'll be going to for a while.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

There aren't any magic clubs in Bg1, although I think if you're running BG:EE that they added one or more magical clubs, but don't quote on me that.

Staves and Scimitars are perfectly viable. There is a +1 staff available early on, and there is also a +3 quarterstaff which you can buy in Ulgoth's Beard. It's not even that expensive, and you can access Ulgoth's Beard at any time. Just go there to the inn and buy that staff when you have the coin and bam you've got a weapon better than almost any other in Bg1.

Scimitars are a little trickier. Drizzt has a good one to use if you're not adverse to killing a good aligned NPC (and he's also quite tough to take on). Beyond that, the only good scimitars you will find will be in Durlag's Tower which is not an area you'll be going to for a while.

BG:EE has added a magic club and a magic scimitar in the Cloakwood so far (also a magic katana.)

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Are there any particularly nice weapons to put points into for a fighter/mage multiclass? I was wanting to try a playthrough of one from BG1 to BG2 ToB.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Leafy Wall posted:

Are there any particularly nice weapons to put points into for a fighter/mage multiclass? I was wanting to try a playthrough of one from BG1 to BG2 ToB.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong. Just about any weapon type has some powerful choices. I'd say the top ones are:

Staves- A +3 is available in bg1 from Ugloth's right from the start. In Bg2 there is a + 4 available right from the start in Ribald's shop, and you can also get the Staff of the Magi. In TOB you've got the Staff of the Ram which owns.

Halberds are nice too. A +1 and +2 in bg1, Dragon's Breath + 4 in BG2 which is a nice weapon, and then in TOB you've got the Ravager which is devastating.

For dual wielding flails are great. There aren't any particularly good ones in bg1 but in BG2 you can get the flail of the ages early on and it's one of the best weapons in the game and strong all the way through TOB where it gets even stronger thanks to upgrades available there. Use flail of the ages in your maindhand then for your offhand put one point into scimitars or shortswords and use Belm +2 or Kundane in your offhand. The reason is those weapons grant your mainhand one extra attack per round, which is devastating. The reason for only one point in scimitars is you're not relying on that offhand weapon to do any damage since it only ever attacks once per round. The main utility of dual wielding is to put a weapon in your off hand that grants you powerful effects. Typically that's going to be something like the + attack I mentioned.

Axes are good. +1s and +2s in bg1, some nice and easily available +3s in bg2, and by TOB you get axe of the unyielding.

You're going to end up with enough proficiency points to specialize in a variety of weapons so you have plenty of options if you want to try out different things.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Should've posted about this earlier, but Gamersgate has the best deal for Infinity Engine games ever.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

All of them. For 4 bucks.
Plus Temple of Elemental Evil.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Luisfe posted:

Should've posted about this earlier, but Gamersgate has the best deal for Infinity Engine games ever.

In terms of pure gaming hours to dollar ratio this is an incredible deal. If you dont own all of them you should buy that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Luisfe posted:

SOLD. I just wanted ToEE, but I should play the others at some point. Now I just need the time and bandwidth for 10G of data.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh another deal comes along. I have bG1 and 2 in the original boxes and NONE of the extra EE stuff, Durlags, or TOB....so. Freakin'. TEmpting.
And i'm just now starting IWD 2, I am like..3 hours in.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginette Reno posted:

For dual wielding flails are great. There aren't any particularly good ones in bg1 but in BG2 you can get the flail of the ages early on and it's one of the best weapons in the game and strong all the way through TOB where it gets even stronger thanks to upgrades available there. Use flail of the ages in your maindhand then for your offhand put one point into scimitars or shortswords and use Belm +2 or Kundane in your offhand. The reason is those weapons grant your mainhand one extra attack per round, which is devastating. The reason for only one point in scimitars is you're not relying on that offhand weapon to do any damage since it only ever attacks once per round. The main utility of dual wielding is to put a weapon in your off hand that grants you powerful effects. Typically that's going to be something like the + attack I mentioned.

A fun thing is to make a barbarian dual wielding Flail of the Ages and Defender of Easthaven. Then you've got 40% physical damage reduction. Tack on the Human Flesh Armor and girdle of inertial barrier and you'll make every saving throw, take half damage from things you can't save against, and resist most effects anyway.

Other than Imprisonment bullshit, I have no idea how such a character could die.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

FairGame posted:

A fun thing is to make a barbarian dual wielding Flail of the Ages and Defender of Easthaven. Then you've got 40% physical damage reduction. Tack on the Human Flesh Armor and girdle of inertial barrier and you'll make every saving throw, take half damage from things you can't save against, and resist most effects anyway.

Other than Imprisonment bullshit, I have no idea how such a character could die.

Abazigal/Draconis? Those assholes love to Haste themselves, even with that DR you could have problems.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mr. Neutron posted:

Abazigal/Draconis? Those assholes love to Haste themselves, even with that DR you could have problems.

Flail of the Ages slows the enemy on hit, no save. They won't be hasted for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

FairGame posted:

Time Stop -> Shapechange -> Eat Brains :smug: