Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats starbound sycophants on reaching $30 dollars spent on redtext. This is the kind of grassroots activism we need to do reclaim this thread from the obsessive weirdos from reddit/4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Jackard posted:

If the nightlies are very experimental shouldn't you instead link him to the Unstable?

He asked what's changed, that's the most comprehensive list of what has changed.

Devour or Fire posted:

Congrats starbound sycophants on reaching $30 dollars spent on redtext. This is the kind of grassroots activism we need to do reclaim this thread from the obsessive weirdos from reddit/4chan.

The passive aggressive title purchasing is only beaten by the endless font of passive aggressive shitposting from you.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm gonna go ahead and unbookmark this thread until I have a new mod to post!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Devour or Fire posted:

What, are you looking for sympathy here or something?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Potsticker posted:

Okay, so presumably you only stopped posting because you got the big red text, because it doesn't look like you have it now. So that means you wasted $5 instead of just continuing to post and showing off that someone else was an idiot in for $10.

Including an SA account and the fact you had an avatar before, you're in the hole here more than a copy of Starbound at this point.

No point in trying to rally support to save a dying game when there isn't any I guess. Made me laugh someone was a tool enough to spend 10$ to defend chucklefish. Guess I got my $15 out of SA.

E:Wow, keep blowing money I guess. I don't mind throwing another 5vver at Lowtax. Least he delivers.
<---

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Arkanomen posted:

No point in trying to rally support to save a dying game when there isn't any I guess. Made me laugh someone was a tool enough to spend 10$ to defend chucklefish. Guess I got my $15 out of SA.

The best part about redtexts are watching people who get them post again and again how unbothered they are by it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

A Lamer posted:

He asked what's changed, that's the most comprehensive list of what has changed.
We can't be certain how much of that is really "changed" though, before it reaches Unstable, is what I mean

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if a goon everyman, completely uninformed, opened this thread asking if Starbound was worth spending money on in its current state and the answer he received was a resounding "yes." I don't want that to be the reality we live in.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Devour or Fire posted:

Imagine if a goon everyman, completely uninformed, opened this thread asking if Starbound was worth spending money on in its current state and the answer he received was a resounding "yes." I don't want that to be the reality we live in.

It's a good thing that wasn't going to happen. People were excited after the last stable build and when modding was going crazy, but since the nightly builds it's been pretty reasonable, hell, even critical from regular folks. Really, the shitposting is making this thread a LESS valuable resource in actually figuring out whether the game is good or not, cause people with obvious personal problems with the devs aren't helping anyone figure anything out.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Devour or Fire posted:

It's not really a bad game in it's current state, though. A lot more content than Minecraft had for years, more enjoyable than Terraria, and with an incredibly active modding community that could honestly completely carry the game at this point.

This is excluding nightlies, 'cause while nightlies are a good thing to point at and say "yes they're working on poo poo," they're definitely not meant to be a playable version of the game.

That said, the steam is misleading, and pointing to nightlies as an example of the updates to the game is also misleading. It's perfectly fine for an early access game, but it's crap if you're going in expecting a finished game. 'cause it's not that by a longshot.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's a good thing that wasn't going to happen. People were excited after the last stable build and when modding was going crazy, but since the nightly builds it's been pretty reasonable, hell, even critical from regular folks. Really, the shitposting is making this thread a LESS valuable resource in actually figuring out whether the game is good or not, cause people with obvious personal problems with the devs aren't helping anyone figure anything out.

That has, and probably will, continue to happen.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

That has, and probably will, continue to happen.

A while back, yeah, but not at this point. The game isn't done. There are plenty of regular posters in this thread who would say "I like it. It's fun. It isn't done." Hell, this forum is so jaded about gaming in general, that anybody who earnestly asks "Should I buy this Early Access game?" would get a bunch of "Early Access is for suckers, don't pre-order ever, and here's why..." effort posts.

Edit: Sorry, not trying to speak for other people, but acting like this thread is a hugbox because you can't rant and rave freely about your own perceived slights is kinda stupid.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 10, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I like it. It's fun. It isn't done.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Rotten Cookies posted:

I like it. It's fun. It isn't done.

This sums up my feelings on it as well. I had fun when the early access launched, played thru the available content, and then stopped playing to wait for the release, which I also look forward to. At no point did I ever feel I was being misled in what I was buying into with the early access. Until I see Chucklefish stop making any progress and just shut themselves off from the community I will continue to see them acting in good faith.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Devour or Fire posted:

Please tell me what the red text was if it was funny.

On the retarded mineral gating, it's retarded and would probably kill the game for me. Like, all my plays of this game have consisted of rounding my starting planet to get my basic poo poo and some stash for later going, so that I could then gently caress around and have fun. I don't want to scour the universe for another piece of copper so that I then can gather all the other ores that I bypassed earlier. I never understood this stupid arbitrary grind "gameplay" that some sandbox games apparently made the standard. I never played minecraft, and picked up Terraria on a whim when it was like 2 bux. It was literally the first sandbox/crafting/whatever game I ever played. The mineral grind got on my nerves, but at least the game is properly balanced so it wasn't too bad. Then I learned that I can do it all over again once you get to hardmode, and never touched the game again. I just wanna have fun and gently caress around, which I can do with the current mineral system in the stable build.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I also like it! It's fun, it's also not done.

Edit- please let's start a stereotypical 80's style lunchroom stand-and-chant!

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Count me in as one who'd prefer the "better pickaxes go faster" with perhaps SOME gating. And maybe the MM can just mine anything slowly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fine with picks to start but would like the opportunity to move onto hyperlaser drills or something relatively promptly. Clearing out the terrain when not under pressure shouldn't take very long.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Eventual mining beams that carve out rows of stone nearly instantly.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Instead of a hard cap on mining tiers, perhaps a better option would be higher end ores degrade your pickaxe much faster until you get closer to a more even axe/ore pairing. Maybe a max of like 1 durability per strike going from lowest pick to highest ore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lakitu7 posted:

It's been a while but wasn't pickaxe-tier+1 how Terraria worked?
Yes, but only later in the game. You could skip all the way to T4, which featured a pretty quick pickaxe, and then everything after that was more or less gated by boss monsters (who dropped a good amount of materials) rather than exploration. It isn't unrealistic to be able to beat the Hard Mode bosses with fairly weak equipment if you're familiar with their attack patterns, and you can completely skip the hard mode mining tiers if you can pull it off. Pickaxes were largely optional to progression in Terraria provided you got lucky on treasure drops to pad out your ability to fight enemies.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Rwally, any of those alternatives is better, in my eyes at least, than having a hard cap on pickaxes.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I must be in the minority cause i like playing it for a week, getting to the current end, stopping for a while, then coming back and starting over with new content.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

When does Terraria 2 come out

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cernunnos posted:

Gas the thread.

Have Shoehead start a new one.

We were going to when nightlies started and then I think we decided to wait for the next stable to come out because a new thread would confuse people otherwise or something. I dunno a lot has happened since then

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Should've started a new thread when Chucklefish got that puppy.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Should've started a new thread when Chucklefish got that puppy.

It should be in the new OP, under "What has Chucklefish been doing with MAH MONEY? :bahgawd:"

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to the new Starbound thread! Nothing's happened since the old one but that one stopped being being the last safe space on the internet for the Starbound faithful. We're fine now, this thread is going to be fine.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'll start a new Starbound thread on the condition that nobody posts in it because all of you are poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lakitu7 posted:

It's been a while but wasn't pickaxe-tier+1 how Terraria worked?

Well, the thing is? Not only does Terraria START you with a pickaxe, but the lowest tier of Pickaxe through silver are able to dig up everything that isn't special super minerals like demononite and Meteor rock and stuff. It is only a matter of speed from copper to silver. You also did not have to repair them.

In Starbound, you do not even start with a pickaxe. You have to use your manipulator to slowly collect the material to build a STONE pickaxe. Previously, all pickaxes could dig anything and it was only a matter of speed. Currently in the nightly, the stone pick an ONLY mine Coal, and Copper. Meaning you can't collect silver, iron, or gold (or, you know, MAKE AN ANVIL) until you scrounge up enough copper to make your SECOND pickaxe. Then you can finally start collecting Iron to try and do the very most basic things in the game.

Still, Starbound DOES still a have the fact it's pickaxes can dig a 3x3 area at a time over Terraria :v:

EDIT: That last bit is why the like, one time I decided to dust off Terraria (I've never gotten farther than "Ugh finally have a meteor pick" tier), I just couldn't. One block at a time so much moving my mouse around when not just digging straight down bluuuuuuh. I will say I feel like an Olympian GOD compared to Starbound. "Endless zombies and flying eyeballs? I got this. I have no armor, a Wood sword, and can survive more than two hits! :black101:"

vvv Oh right, I haven't played since that whole smart cursor thing. Maybe I should try it again, all that talk about "Later bosses are basically bullet hell now what" sorta scared me off.

I hope Terraria 2 is also A Good Game. Because more than one good new 2D dig mcexploresalot game is better than just one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 11, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Terraria's smart cursor blows Starbound out of the water.

oddium posted:

When does Terraria 2 come out

Red says he's going to devote all his time to it after he gets 1.3 out in Terraria, which will be coming out soon :^)

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

This is the stupidest term ever, please go back to 4Chan. Thank you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
A new thread would be cool if it had a mod enforced rule that prohibited crying about the 15 dollars you spent on the game or how you feel cheated or ripped off, at least until Chucklefish clearly cancelled work on the game.

I also find it hilarious that this thread was patting itself on the back while making fun of reddit, 4chan, the official forums, and then preceded to let this thread go to poo poo for 400+ posts almost immediately after like 2-3 people that they easily could have ignored started posting the exact same poo poo they were making fun of here.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
edit: submit reply is not closing the window and getting on with my drat day.

Devour or Fire posted:

Red says he's going to devote all his time to it after he gets 1.3 out in Terraria, which will be coming out soon :^)

Anything good in the works? Haven't played in a while.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2014

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My main criticism of Starbound up to this point is that, at least in the current Stable, progression is really loving slow and a bit boring. Like, you basically spend your time starting out wandering around a planet's surface looking for trace amounts of copper and coal with the occasional iron deposit while trying not to get brutally murdered by the local wildlife, which is fine for the starting planet, I guess, but then it's literally the same routine for subsequent planets you visit until you get geared enough to challenge the first boss.

And then, of course, the RNG can gently caress you hard when it comes to dungeons and loot. Every time I see an Avian temple or tomb or a prison or whatever, I groan a bit because I know that there's going to be no cool treasure; I mean, pixels and a couple of gold bars are nice, but it's nothing stellar like a neat weapon or something. I suppose you could disassemble the dungeon if you like the blocks and stuff though, but that's not much of a reward if you're a planet-hopping adventurer with no real home base or anything.

Occasionally I'll see a small ruin with a tech chest and get ecstatic, only to open it and it's just iron bars and some rusty piece of poo poo sword or something. On the off-chance it's a cool weapon, it's usually outclassed by whatever I got off a prison inmate or crafted myself. It's almost never a tech; to date, I think I've only ever found Energy Dash and the double jump tech, which is sad because techs are one of the cool features of the game.

The bosses are okay, at least the two I've fought. The UFO is kinda easy, which is fine because it's the first boss, but the robot is a relentless murder machine unless you found a gun or something since it's fast, hits hard, and frequently sets you on fire, which means you're injecting stims every few seconds like a loving junkie. And you have to go through a lot of farming bullshit just to build it, but at least the materials are slightly easier to acquire at that point, and thank god it doesn't despawn when you die or I'd loving lose my poo poo having to farm another brain and gather all the steel and junk.

My only real desire at this point is that they can smooth out the early game and make it interesting. Don't make me scour the galaxy in search of fuel (coal is worth, what, 2 fuel? And it takes 20-100 fuel to go anywhere? And you have to use coal for other poo poo too? C'mon Chucklefish...) and minerals just to make a single tool. Make dungeons worth exploring by having a cool treasure somewhere. Make cool weapons worth using over the standard fare. Let me find ONE tech before the 2nd boss. And don't make the bosses either piss easy or ball-crushingly hard.

Anyways, said my piece. Game's fun. Game's not done. I have faith. Don't complain about the puppy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

qft

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
My favorite thing about Chucklefish not releasing a stable patch in nearly 6 months is that it's somehow impossible for them to work on the game because there are people who are waiting to get their visas to move to the UK, as if they weren't already working remotely for the entire development. I guess waiting around for paperwork to process is really hard and makes it so you can't do any work.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

edit: submit reply is not closing the window and getting on with my drat day.

Anything good in the works? Haven't played in a while.

The team has been mostly tight-lipped on development, everything they've teased is here http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features#1.3 so mostly the anticipated moon boss/invasion plus more qol bells and whistles.

The only image they've released are spoilered early alien sprites.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devour or Fire posted:

One area I wish Terraria would take a hint is the cursor's graphic itself though. I never lose Starbound's cursor visually because it has an outline. Terraria's doesn't, so no matter what color I set it to I sometimes lose sight of it, especially in the heat of battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

Verdugo posted:

This is the stupidest term ever, please go back to 4Chan. Thank you.

I guess "artist rendering of content not found in the game" is technically more accurate.

• Locked thread