Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

JerryLee posted:

As someone who can't really buy into or find places to play Legacy, but who loves to follow it, it seems like it holds out just enough of the hope of being a wide-open card pool where you can play your favorite deck that occasionally you'll see genuinely neat poo poo like werewolf prison or leylines, and there's stuff like elves or enchantress that are interesting without being a comedy option, but the face of the format is still stuff like Sneak & Show, Delver decks, and other poo poo that really milks the ability to run 4 Brainstorm 4 Ponder.

Its not so much that the best decks are running 8-12 cantrips, its that the best decks are consistent ones, and Brainstorm and Ponder are just the easiest way to do that. Elves, Death and Taxes, and Jund are the 3 most successful examples of consistent non-blue decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Legacy is a format I don't like precisely for the reasons Jeff Hoogland pointed out a week or two back. Too many Brainstorms, Forces of Will and Wastelands. If I'm going to play degenerate combo-Magic, I'd like to at least be able to play Necropotence.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Legacy is a format I don't like precisely for the reasons Jeff Hoogland pointed out a week or two back. Too many Brainstorms, Forces of Will and Wastelands. If I'm going to play degenerate combo-Magic, I'd like to at least be able to play Necropotence.

lol spoken like a person who has never played legacy

also lol @ being mad at running the strongest cards ever printed in a format that uses nearly every card printed as its card pool

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

L0cke17 posted:

Its not so much that the best decks are running 8-12 cantrips, its that the best decks are consistent ones, and Brainstorm and Ponder are just the easiest way to do that. Elves, Death and Taxes, and Jund are the 3 most successful examples of consistent non-blue decks.

It seems to me that you just restated what I meant, so I don't think we really disagree. The decks you listed seem to be indicators of just how high the bar is for non-blue decks to compete with what the blue cantrips can do, and as such are the exceptions that prove the rule, sort of.

I don't dislike Brainstorm or Ponder for what they do per se; I've always kinda liked that style of deck that runs a tight list with a billion card filtering effects. I just wish what they do didn't seem to so far outclass most of what else you can do.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cernunnos posted:

What's the general "Sleeve Suggestion" again? KMC Perfect Fits into KMC Supers?
Always the Hyper Mattes with their Perfect Fits. Best poo poo.

Great stuff.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I was quite willing to accept their reasoning for shifting Modern off the pro tour and onto the GP circuit, at least for a season or two, but this is all the better. 3 Standard / 1 modern PTs seems like a good split.

I will say this: no one will ever be shedding a tear for Block Constructed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The best brainstorm and ponder deck is miracles just because of its ability to put a poo poo eating grin on my face as I rip a miracle off a "blind" flip. I say "blind" because I put it there 2 turns ago but forgot and genuinely am surprised every drat time. This is probably a sign I shouldn't play the deck but it is v hilarious unlike delver decks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

JerryLee posted:

It seems to me that you just restated what I meant, so I don't think we really disagree. The decks you listed seem to be indicators of just how high the bar is for non-blue decks to compete with what the blue cantrips can do, and as such are the exceptions that prove the rule, sort of.

I don't dislike Brainstorm or Ponder for what they do per se; I've always kinda liked that style of deck that runs a tight list with a billion card filtering effects. I just wish what they do didn't seem to so far outclass most of what else you can do.

You're correct, I wasn't disagreeing, just adding to your comment. Variance is a built-in part of the game, and you need redundancy or card selection to overcome it in a long tournament. Blue conveniently provided redundant card selection, so of course it's the best.

Angry Grimace posted:

Hoogland's article came off sounding really petulant and childish though. The most recent Everyday Eternal went into a decently lengthy discussion about it, and about how hypocritical the article's statements were compared to his other articles and deck choices in modern.

Chill la Chill posted:

The best brainstorm and ponder deck is miracles just because of its ability to put a poo poo eating grin on my face as I rip a miracle off a "blind" flip. I say "blind" because I put it there 2 turns ago but forgot and genuinely am surprised every drat time. This is probably a sign I shouldn't play the deck but it is v hilarious unlike delver decks.

Miracles is the best deck. I've been playing it for close to six months now, and its fantastic in every way. Although, I have recently cut ponder entirely making my cantrips 4 Top/4 Brainstorm/3 Preordain. Its less good at setting up blind flips, but plays much better with top and makes your average draw better since you're never stuck keeping clunkers as ponder forces too often.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

It's always nice when sizeable companies manage to listen to feedback, react to it within a decent timespan, and admit it's what they're doing.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
On MODO how do you make comments section for the game. When I host a new game I try clicking comments in the lower left but it doesn't give me any input on how to type anything in

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LaTex Fetish posted:

also lol @ being mad at running the strongest cards ever printed in a format that uses nearly every card printed as its card pool

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/legacy

Card Dominance/% of Decks/#Played

1 Brainstorm 65.68% 65.68% 4.0
2 Force of Will 60.91% 68.64% 3.5
3 Ponder 39.72% 50.85% 3.1

Just saying.

L0cke17 posted:

You're correct, I wasn't disagreeing, just adding to your comment. Variance is a built-in part of the game, and you need redundancy or card selection to overcome it in a long tournament. Blue conveniently provided redundant card selection, so of course it's the best.

Hoogland's article came off sounding really petulant and childish though. The most recent Everyday Eternal went into a decently lengthy discussion about it, and about how hypocritical the article's statements were compared to his other articles and deck choices in modern.

Miracles is the best deck. I've been playing it for close to six months now, and its fantastic in every way. Although, I have recently cut ponder entirely making my cantrips 4 Top/4 Brainstorm/3 Preordain. Its less good at setting up blind flips, but plays much better with top and makes your average draw better since you're never stuck keeping clunkers as ponder forces too often.

I actually don't like him much. His articles tend to have a certain unpleasant edge to them. I don't even know why he in particular gets to write articles about MTG.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 11, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the most important takeaway from that link is that 15% of decks are running Meddling Mage, which is hands down my favorite creature of all time, and one of the best to boot.

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually don't like him much. His articles tend to have a certain unpleasant edge to them. I don't even know why he in particular gets to write articles about MTG.

I got the same vibe from his articles, but in person he's actually quite a nice guy. Don't know where the disconnect is though.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

LaTex Fetish posted:

Can we add this quote to the Bingo card? No one can say anything negative about legacy in this thread without someone saying this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fish Of Doom posted:

Can we add this quote to the Bingo card? No one can say anything negative about legacy in this thread without someone saying this.

The only thing worse than legacy is blue cards ad the only thing worse than blue cards is sphinx's revelation. Can't wait until rotation when Deck I Like is still goign to suck.

Eddie Whitson posted:

I will say this: no one will ever be shedding a tear for Block Constructed.

I really like block constructed :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm gonna be sad when I don't see any pros playing Bitterblossom at the Modern PT. :(

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fish Of Doom posted:

Legacy players have this problem. They can't effectively promote their format because reserve list. I mean you can, say how fun it is but really people can get into a lot of modern decks for much less and enjoy powerful format with older cards. There are some decks you can play on legacy you can't in modern and vice versa. Modern will stabilize in terms of availability and price. 2015 is going to be a big year for modern and legacy is going to keep pricing potential players out. I would play legacy but lol money and I don't happen to live near an LGS of long time legacy players.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

L0cke17 and Angry Grimace posted:

Jeff Hoogland stuff

I really like him as a deckbuilder and enjoy a lot of his articles (Loam is a pet deck of mine, too, so we have that in common), but geez, that article was almost as embarrassing to read as his recurring Twitter rants about how variance fucks him but not his opponents on MODO.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Hopping Ghost posted:

I really like him as a deckbuilder and enjoy a lot of his articles (Loam is a pet deck of mine, too, so we have that in common), but geez, that article was almost as embarrassing to read as his recurring Twitter rants about how variance fucks him but not his opponents on MODO.

This is where I'm at too.

Super psyched about the modern PT, especially since they picked the Washington DC (home area) tournament as the one to be modern.

Also, Jackie Lee (Ockham's Machete) is apparently joining R&D for what I assume is a development internship:
https://twitter.com/samstod/status/498630093548171265

so that's pretty sweet. Good luck :), still have fond memories of her tearing things up with RG hellrider aggro during SOM/ISD standard

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 11, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is the Pro Tour an event for people that aren't pros playing there? Can regular idiots like me go and do side events or anything?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Can we add "i don't play legacy because combo" then too?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Just saying.

yeah, people play brainstorm a lot. the article you were talking about is loving dumb and sounds like a loving child who can't get his way. He complains that brainstorm is played too much.

Instead of arguing for the banning of brainstorm, he argues that legacy is just bad and legacy players are bad. he basically argues this as if playing the strongest cards is stupid and something only "uncool" kids do because cool kids like him build decks without brainstorm because, gosh, brainstorm is just soooooo loving OP

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

L0cke17 posted:

I think the most important takeaway from that link is that 15% of decks are running Meddling Mage, which is hands down my favorite creature of all time, and one of the best to boot.

Unfortunately all of those are in sideboards :(

Fish Of Doom posted:

Except the guy was talking about how Legacy is just a degenerate combo only format, which isn't true. So we have two people who are being weirdly aggressive instead of one :v:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boco_T posted:

Is the Pro Tour an event for people that aren't pros playing there? Can regular idiots like me go and do side events or anything?

Here's what they had for Pro Tour Magic 2015.

quote:

The tournament hall is open to the public starting Friday morning. The Expo Center is located at the end of the MAX Yellow Line. Spectators are invited to watch the Pro Tour on projection screens showing the live webcast and matches from along the rail in designated viewing areas. The play area has been set up to allow for nearly every table to be visible to spectators. The weekend features a range of activities to satisfy all types of Magic fans.

Tournament Hall Hours for Spectators

Friday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Sunday: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Along with the scheduled events, the Pro Tour Merchandise Booth is open all weekend. Don't miss out on your chance to buy the exclusive, limited-edition Pro Tour Magic 2015 playmat. The Merchandise Booth will be selling current Magic booster packs, single cards, accessories, the Funko POP! figures including a limited-edition Garruk, Araca t-shirts, and more. Booth hours are 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sunday.

Here's a rundown of the scheduled spectator events at the Pro Tour:
  • Saturday—VIP Drafting: Sign up at the Event Host desk for your chance to draft with R&D members Ben Hayes and Sam Stoddard. Drafts fire at 2:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., with space extremely limited!
  • Friday–Sunday—Garruk Live Art Project: Watch Eric Deschamps and Cynthia Sheppard create a custom piece of Garruk-themed art live! Attendees will be able to determine the final look and get a chance to take a copy of it home through an on-site drawing. Click here for more information.
  • Sunday—Top 8 Viewing: Watch the Top 8 on the big screen and root on your favorite pros.
  • Sunday—Spellslinging with Top Pros and R&D: Battle against top pros and members of Wizards R&D, with Platinum Pros Josh Utter-Leyton, Martin Juza, Brian Kibler, Shahar Shenhar, and No. 1-Ranked Player Reid Duke hosting Conspiracy Draft. (Note: player availability depending on Top 8 participation)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Unfortunately all of those are in sideboards :(

Except the guy was talking about how Legacy is just a degenerate combo only format, which isn't true. So we have two people who are being weirdly aggressive instead of one :v:

I don't really understand why not liking a format is a reason to go. I just don't like Legacy. Believe me, I am aware of the absurdity involved in liking Vintage and not Legacy. It's just not my thing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 11, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Can we add "add this to the bingo card" to the bingo card?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Snapcaster really should be red, though.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Just add "the bingo card" to the bingo card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I just watched a few youtubes that featured his cheating. I guess its fair to say that if he was caught cheating on cam twice, his cheating had to be pretty rampant during all his other games.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really understand why not liking a format is a reason to go. I just don't like Legacy. Believe me, I am aware of the absurdity involved in liking Vintage and not Legacy. It's just not my thing.

it's alright to not like a format.

just your reason was stupid and the article you talked about was even more stupid. thinking brainstorm should be banned (or restricted) is a legit reason and probably why you like vintage, so that makes sense.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I'm adding you to the bingo card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I barely give a poo poo why any magic player hates anything because often as not its going to be arbitrary but I have to ask how you can hate Legacy for some cards seeing too much play but be into Vintage where, get this,

edit: The only objectively good format is Alliances block constructed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

I just watched a few youtubes that featured his cheating. I guess its fair to say that if he was caught cheating on cam twice, his cheating had to be pretty rampant during all his other games.

Dude, you have no idea. Sadly, there's no permanently banning him for cheating.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LaTex Fetish posted:

it's alright to not like a format.

just your reason was stupid and the article you talked about was even more stupid. thinking brainstorm should be banned (or restricted) is a legit reason and probably why you like vintage, so that makes sense.

I'm adding you to the bingo card.

All I'm saying is that if I'm gonna play a format with Force of Will in it, I'd like to also be able to play Yawgmoth's Will.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just came back from winning Game Day playing Mono-U Devotion. I pretty much picked it because no one at my local meta plays it, and therefore no one sideboards against it, and it has a pretty good matchup against B/W Midrange.

What do you know, I end up beating Mono-B, B/W Midrange, B/W Midrange, and B/W Midrange to win it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

Just came back from winning Game Day playing Mono-U Devotion. I pretty much picked it because no one at my local meta plays it, and therefore no one sideboards against it, and it has a pretty good matchup against B/W Midrange.

What do you know, I end up beating Mono-B, B/W Midrange, B/W Midrange, and B/W Midrange to win it.

But were any of the people you were playing against hilariously incapable of piloting their own decks? It's always fun to watch someone play a deck for no reason other than because it's the new big deck to beat and having no idea how to pilot it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

But were any of the people you were playing against hilariously incapable of piloting their own decks? It's always fun to watch someone play a deck for no reason other than because it's the new big deck to beat and having no idea how to pilot it.

For this reason alone, I wish every standard had a combo deck. Lol at people who just gesture when they have the pieces and don't want to go through it, only to fail when pressed. This was the best during the call to mind/pyro ascension era.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I still hate that it's much harder to play against control in this format than it is to actually pilot the deck. gently caress Sphinx's Revelation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Got Mono-U Devotion two games in a row at Game Day and barely lost both times. Got the bye and went to grab dinner, and then played my friends Wr Weenie deck, where I had to mulligan to 5 in game 3 and was a mana away from Chord'ing for a Doomwake Giant. :smith: Between today and FNM, I haven't gone over .500 in a competitive Magic event once.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ramos posted:

The Mono-B player wasn't the best. He tried to Hero's Downfall my Frostburn one turn, I Mizzium Skin-ed in response, then end of the same turn he tries to Hero's Downfall it again. I point out the Frostburn still has hexproof and that he can take it back, but he was just like, "My mistake!" and scooped.

I would say 2 of the 3 B/W players were decent. Having piloted the deck myself, it's actually really skill intensive to play, as on any given turn you can have multiple seemingly reasonable lines of play, and so much of the deck is built around understanding tempo. I'm pretty sure I won multiple games because my opponent thought slamming Demon on T4 was better than leaving up mana for two removal spells.

Best feeling of the day was playing Polymorphist Jest in response to a lethal Pack Rat army, and winning on the swing back.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

legoman727 posted:

I still hate that it's much harder to play against control in this format than it is to actually pilot the deck. gently caress Sphinx's Revelation.

It's comments like this that makes playing white blue control year in and year out that much more enjoyable.

qbert posted:

Best feeling of the day was playing Polymorphist Jest in response to a lethal Pack Rat army, and winning on the swing back.

I'm honestly surprised that card isn't seeing more play. It seems like it would play genuinely well in a red blue shell of some sort. Then again, red blue hasn't been doing all that well lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ramos posted:

It's comments like this that makes playing white blue control year in and year out that much more enjoyable.

I'm honestly surprised that card isn't seeing more play. It seems like it would play genuinely well in a red blue shell of some sort. Then again, red blue hasn't been doing all that well lately.

You could have a lot of fun with Electrickery and Jest. But yeah, I think its just a card waiting to be broken in some format because its very good all on its own.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread