Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is incorrect, at least as of the 40.whatever updates. I had a Forgotten Beast bust into my fortress through floor hatches from below. It might be the case in 34.xx though.

Wait, is THAT what's going on in that picture?

:stare:

I did not know this existed. Please, tell me what package or whatever this is a part of, so that I might bask in its glory.

Masterwork has it.

It also has a full human race now as of the last update, with apparently like 130 new buildings and tons of new mechanics to go with all of the new races. Which it also interacts with heavily. It's pretty badass.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

scamtank posted:

:siren: New version! Point-oh-seven was a fairly major stop before some wild new features during the v34 arc. How about now?

aaaaa I hope .06 saves are compatible I just got a successful strange mood weapon-smith in mine >:O

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Wait, is THAT what's going on in that picture?

:stare:

I did not know this existed. Please, tell me what package or whatever this is a part of, so that I might bask in its glory.

It's part of the TWBT plugin for dfhack. Masterwork and the lazy packs all have it, but it doesn't work in the v40.x versions (yet).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Text Will Be Text is the current holy grail of DF development. Especially when he's been flashing things like this:

mifki posted:

One big plus of completely replacing game rendering is ability to render floor and objects independently, so you would see real tiles behind them. It would greatly improve graphics I think.

Currently it makes square map tiles and non-square text play nice together, lets you ignore the window minimum width restriction (permitting really big tilesets or just usual big ones on 4:3 displays), can point to a whole lot of things that DFHack recognizes such as smoothed ice walls or armor or murdered corpses and give them specific tiles from an unlimited set of .png sheets and renders up to 15 Z-levels down in one go.

Another thing he's got on the table is increasing the color palette, so creamy white objects actually are colored (255:253:208) on screen instead of the stark (255:255:255) white. He's a magic man.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

Text Will Be Text is the current holy grail of DF development. Especially when he's been flashing things like this:

Currently it makes square map tiles and non-square text play nice together, lets you ignore the window minimum width restriction (permitting really big tilesets or just usual big ones on 4:3 displays), can point to a whole lot of things that DFHack recognizes such as smoothed ice walls or armor or murdered corpses and give them specific tiles from an unlimited set of .png sheets and renders up to 15 Z-levels down in one go.

Another thing he's got on the table is increasing the color palette, so creamy white objects actually are colored (255:253:208) on screen instead of the stark (255:255:255) white. He's a magic man.

I understand toady's reluctance to deal with other people's code and sharing the source, but drat, some of the things the community does are amazing. I can't see toady making the UI any less arcane any time soon, but imagine if he got the code separate enough that the community could strip it out and replace the drat thing.

Of course, these are people really into DF. I imagine the challenge of hacking the program apart and seeing what bits twitch when they jam electrodes into it's innards is part of the fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sometimes i have the tiniest amount of trouble telling which z-level is which when using multi z-level rendering so i'll press 'v' just to find that i'm floating above my units by a level and thus it won't select anything, but other than that i don't think i ever want to play tiles without it again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It was a busy week so I got behind by a couple hundred posts or whatever.
Can I put this ridiculous bullshit on my mac yet? And with the latest rev of DF?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Can I put this ridiculous bullshit on my mac yet? And with the latest rev of DF?

Pretty sure TWBT works on the Mac for v34, but dfhack is not updated for the latest patches (and TWBT has not worked with any of them).

edit: The MacNewbie Pack has TWBT with the v34 pack.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bah, that's no good. I want to have my plump helmet roast and eat it, too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Bah, that's no good. I want to have my plump helmet roast and eat it, too.

Then maybe you should get a real computer. :smug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have one, but it's alllll the waaaaaay downstaaaaairs and interestingly, playing DF on a 60" display sucks. :colbert:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
My Giant Cave Spiders still won't breed and it looks like there's no iron. I might try genning a new world with Mineral Scarcity even lower.

EDIT: Dorfs can have TWINS!? :3:

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What do I need to do to make my dwarves mature into adulthood by, say, 3 years old?

Also, which way do I set the pop caps so I DON'T get any more migrants than absolutely necessary, but CAN have a fortress absolutely covered in babies?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

GreyPowerVan posted:

No idea but I can't play DF without Multi-Zlevel rendering anymore. so pretty.

:siren::stwoon::siren:
Tell us your secrets!

E: okay, so you did. Stupid false refresh. I need to install that as soon as I get back to my machine!

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Bad Munki posted:

What do I need to do to make my dwarves mature into adulthood by, say, 3 years old?

Also, which way do I set the pop caps so I DON'T get any more migrants than absolutely necessary, but CAN have a fortress absolutely covered in babies?
pre:
creature_standard.txt
[CREATURE:DWARF]
	[CHILD:12]
	[CHILD:3]
	[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
	[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
	[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]
	[BODY_SIZE:3:0:60000]
Only the first change is strictly necessary, but a working three-year-old will take ages to complete tasks because he's too small to handle things properly. Hence the second change.

Baby fortress is mostly luck-of-the-draw. I'm using [BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000] and I had ~40% children in my last fort. One migrant father showed up with eight kids and no spouse :shrug:.

If you're really committed to the idea, then:
pre:
creature_standard.txt
[CREATURE:DWARF]
	[CASTE:FEMALE]
		The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
		[FEMALE]
		[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
		[LITTERSIZE:5:10]
Now each birth will include five to ten rugrats and you'll soon be overwhelmed by babies. Just set your population cap to whatever you want; you'll have enough native-born dwarfs to hit the cap and probably exclude any risk of migrants after wave 4. Note: I'm assuming here that you're running 40.06 - it would take longer if you need to wait for marriages.

dragon_pamcake posted:

EDIT: Dorfs can have TWINS!? :3:
If you're running 40.06 then twins can probably have twins. Close scrutiny of the Relationships screen may be a bad idea.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks buddy.

GulMadred posted:

Only the first change is strictly necessary, but a working three-year-old will take ages to complete tasks because he's too small to handle things properly. Hence the second change.
Although now I'm imagining a situation where the dwarves start small and hit maturity almost immediately, but just keep growing, forever and ever until they eventually die, but I don't know if that's possible here. Or could I just add a bunch of tags there that slowly hike up the body size each year until some very high max that no dwarf will live to?

Yes, I DID just re-read the Shadow series of the Ender saga recently, why do you ask?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 11, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I got shown this 1 pixel wide font sample in the pixel art thread

And I'm really curious how DF would look. Any advice on how to set up a custom font?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks buddy.

Although now I'm imagining a situation where the dwarves start small and hit maturity almost immediately, but just keep growing, forever and ever until they eventually die, but I don't know if that's possible here. Or could I just add a bunch of tags there that slowly hike up the body size each year until some very high max that no dwarf will live to?
Could be risky. I tinkered with multi-sapient-caste civilizations a few years ago, and one key principle was that adult body size of the dominant species determines equipment usability. Imagine that you somehow spawn a single super-child within an otherwise-normal fort (e.g. because you modified the Raw files of a Fortress Mode saved game, adding a Wunderkind Caste to the Dwarf creature definition). Your tailors will be cranking out shirts and trousers for 60000 cm3 folks. Urist McBean hits age seven, grows to 70000 cm3, and suddenly he has to wear the "large" stuff that you've bought from the Human caravan. At age ten, he grows to 100000 cm3 and he'll no longer be able to find anything suitable. Once his current clothes rot off his body (around age 11?), you'll have a freakishly large child overcome with humiliation at his constant nudity. He does not fit into dwarven society and he's only going to get bigger. Perhaps you can keep him boozed up and sit him under a waterfall 24/7. But your attention will falter; his pet will die or his best friend will get eaten by trolls or he'll decide to Attend a Party and suddenly get a big whack of social shame. At that point, it's a tossup whether he ends up Melancholy or Berserk.

Disclaimer: this is speculation based on half-remembered tests in DF2012. If you start a new fortress with a bunch of gargantuan adults (rather than introducing new castes) then the equipment-eligibility stuff might just sort itself out neatly. But be aware that your experiment might end up with Of Mice and Men rather than Ender's Shadow.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Tunicate posted:

I got shown this 1 pixel wide font sample in the pixel art thread

And I'm really curious how DF would look. Any advice on how to set up a custom font?

Tilesets are 16 tiles x 16 tiles, here's a full list of every character, it's place in the tileset, and what it's used for.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GulMadred posted:

Could be risky. I tinkered with multi-sapient-caste civilizations a few years ago, and one key principle was that adult body size of the dominant species determines equipment usability. Imagine that you somehow spawn a single super-child within an otherwise-normal fort (e.g. because you modified the Raw files of a Fortress Mode saved game, adding a Wunderkind Caste to the Dwarf creature definition). Your tailors will be cranking out shirts and trousers for 60000 cm3 folks. Urist McBean hits age seven, grows to 70000 cm3, and suddenly he has to wear the "large" stuff that you've bought from the Human caravan. At age ten, he grows to 100000 cm3 and he'll no longer be able to find anything suitable. Once his current clothes rot off his body (around age 11?), you'll have a freakishly large child overcome with humiliation at his constant nudity. He does not fit into dwarven society and he's only going to get bigger. Perhaps you can keep him boozed up and sit him under a waterfall 24/7. But your attention will falter; his pet will die or his best friend will get eaten by trolls or he'll decide to Attend a Party and suddenly get a big whack of social shame. At that point, it's a tossup whether he ends up Melancholy or Berserk.

This sounds awesome and incredibly dwarfy. Someone's going to run this, and end up with some poor outcast freakish giant who lives a lonely and sad life, but saves the fort in a moment of terrible danger and is ever after heralded as a hero. Sperging yields some way to manufacture sufficiently large clothing and the dwarf is given suitably large quarters - and anyone who comes to the fort to gawk is going to have to go through several dozen angry dwarves first.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I captured 2 cave dragons yesterday, the wiki says they don't breed, is it possible to mod he raws to allow this? If so how would I go about doing this I'm completely new at his.

is it also possible to mod in a recipe to the jeweler's workshop to cut every gem instead of having to go through and selecting each type?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shuffle posted:

I captured 2 cave dragons yesterday, the wiki says they don't breed, is it possible to mod he raws to allow this? If so how would I go about doing this I'm completely new at his.

is it also possible to mod in a recipe to the jeweler's workshop to cut every gem instead of having to go through and selecting each type?

That page is out of date, the game now allows thing without the child token to breed.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Do seed repositories work with DF2014 or are there DF2014 seeds that are known-good/interesting?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Adequate posted:

This sounds awesome and incredibly dwarfy. Someone's going to run this, and end up with some poor outcast freakish giant who lives a lonely and sad life, but saves the fort in a moment of terrible danger and is ever after heralded as a hero. Sperging yields some way to manufacture sufficiently large clothing and the dwarf is given suitably large quarters - and anyone who comes to the fort to gawk is going to have to go through several dozen angry dwarves first.

Naked kid isn't going to save poo poo. Something will stab him in the foot and he'll be done.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spoggerific posted:

Is this the one where you just replaced bronze colossi instead of making a new race? Meaning that if you forget and start a fort on these raws, you might have a slade colossus invade you?

I edited that out before zipping it!

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Harmonica posted:

I had an ongoing problem with vampirism and couldn't figure out who it was. Bodies were piling up and the fort was at risk of a tantrum spiral.

During a bout of sparring, some monkeys invaded, which caused one of my wrestlers to fly into a rage, before turning on his sparring partner and taking it out on them too. Coincidentally, his sparring partner just happened to be the husband of the vampire's first victim, so he was pretty pissed already. The two flew into a mad, frenzied ball of dwarven aggression, rolling around the entire fort, knocking each other unconscious and being dragged to the hospital, where they continued to fight each other, apparently now to the death.

Then something unexpected happened. The aggrieved husband took up his pear wood training sword and jammed it into the mouth of the wrestler, sending teeth flying everywhere. It was pretty gruesome and onlookers were standing around horrified. With good reason: these were the teeth of the legendary vampire dwarf Gatshi Scourpacks! The murderer had been identified!

I ordered the hospital sealed up and evacuated everyone else. The fight continued for several weeks, both combatants were passing out from exhaustion, but the husband was a hulking tower of muscle fortified by lust for vengeance, and he gradually pulped the vampire's organs with his blunt sword before finally caving its head in. Dwarven justice had been served.

Good thing dwarves keep such meticulous dental records.
Stories like these always make me want to do another Let's Play.

I only played a little bit of the new version before my computer died. So much sadness. Everyone's stories are keeping me entertained while I wait to be able to get a new one.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm trying to create a world with dwarf vampires to migrate to my fort but I've gone through 15-20 worldgens now and there's not a single one. Human vamps are rare and I get an occasional goblin but no dwarf ones. And I want lots of them (so I can drink their blood in adventure mode too)

Anyone know what governs rate of vampire creation in worldgen? Is it just random? I'm trying to create a 'smaller island' with lots of evil tiles and megabeasts, so I don't know if that's affecting it, but I can't imagine that it would.

(I'm checking this by flicking through all the gods in Legends and seeing if they've cursed anyone, which is the only way for vampires to happen afaik)

Boing fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 11, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, about that super weird wall construction bug? Already fixed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ nice

Boing posted:

I'm trying to create a world with dwarf vampires to migrate to my fort but I've gone through 15-20 worldgens now and there's not a single one. Human vamps are rare and I get an occasional goblin but no dwarf ones. And I want lots of them (so I can drink their blood in adventure mode too)

Anyone know what governs rate of vampire creation in worldgen? Is it just random? I'm trying to create a 'smaller island' with lots of evil tiles and megabeasts, so I don't know if that's affecting it, but I can't imagine that it would.

(I'm checking this by flicking through all the gods in Legends and seeing if they've cursed anyone, which is the only way for vampires to happen afaik)

Afaik it's random, but you can up your chances by ensuring civilizations don't die out. So, for one thing lower the amount of megabeasts. They stomp around wiping sites out and you want a lot of sites. A lot of sites = a lot of people in the world and thus higher odds someone somewhere is going to profane a temple or offend a god. I think the high amount of evil tiles are hurting your odds, too.

Longer world gens, also. I usually go to about 100 years or so and vampires are super rare, but if you let it go for a few hundred they start to pop up more and more.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
My dwarves seriously need to stop having sex. Even tweaking the settings a bit, it's like everyone has a baby no matter what!

Serious question though - what do you guys do about the dwarf tendency to carry an entire barrel/bag/box/etc. to an object to collect it instead of taking the object to the barrel? i know that this is a bug apparently but is there any workaround for it because it's absolutely infuriating. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You can't make dwarves not take the bins along, but you can make them not bother over long distances. Find these lines in d_init.txt:

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

...and cut them down to single digits. As it stands with the default crank-to-11 settings, dwarves will always drag the barrel/bin along, no matter how far the thing is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LegionAreI posted:

My dwarves seriously need to stop having sex. Even tweaking the settings a bit, it's like everyone has a baby no matter what!

Serious question though - what do you guys do about the dwarf tendency to carry an entire barrel/bag/box/etc. to an object to collect it instead of taking the object to the barrel? i know that this is a bug apparently but is there any workaround for it because it's absolutely infuriating. :(

I use quantum stockpiles and thus never need bins or barrels. Only bags for the seeds and barrels for drinks (drinks being the only non q-pile in my fort since dwarves love to stand on the stockpile to drink and get 50 barrels dumped on their head).

Although I will say that with the new update dwarves seem super reluctant to put things in minecarts. It still happens, but before a dwarf would set something into a stockpile then immediately put it in the corresponding minecart. Now I've got plump helmets withering in the fields because the food stockpile isn't being emptied into the minecart fast enough. Maybe it's because it is a migrated save from 40.06.

There's some numbers you can fiddle with in the d_init.txt but I think that only governs how likely dwarves are to put items in containers already containing like items.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

LegionAreI posted:

Make a feeder stockpile that disallows barrels/bags/boxes, that feeds items into a stockpile that DOES allow barrels/bags/boxes?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
0.40.08 is out.

Toady One posted:

Major bug fixes
* Stopped ESC from ending the game when setting up fort or adventurer
* Made constructions use materials properly again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens when you deconstruct 'unknown material?'

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Moridin920 posted:

I use quantum stockpiles and thus never need bins or barrels. Only bags for the seeds and barrels for drinks (drinks being the only non q-pile in my fort since dwarves love to stand on the stockpile to drink and get 50 barrels dumped on their head).

What's a quantum stockpile? It sounds intriguingly dangerous and unstable.

Edit: 'intriguingly dangerous' describes most of Dwarf Fortress honestly.

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 11, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

0.40.08 is out.

That was fast!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Prism posted:

Edit: 'intriguingly dangerous' describes most of Dwarf Fortress honestly.

Abusing minecarts to put an infinite number of items on a 1x1 stockpile.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

necrotic posted:

Abusing minecarts to put an infinite number of items on a 1x1 stockpile.

Dumping works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

Set up a minecart route that consists of a track 2 tiles in length. Stop 1 is the intake stop. I usually have it set up like

'guide cart to stop 2 when full
guide cart to stop 2 in 14 days always (this is important because a lot of carts won't ever fill up; gems and clothes for example)
take from stockpile X'

X being the stockpile you want to condense.

Then Stop 2 just has a track stop on it that dump the contents of the cart onto a 1 tile stockpile of the same category, and the dwarves return the minecart to Stop 1 to await more goods for collection.

What happens is all your items will get dumped onto 1 tile, and it will function just as a normal stockpile would. For example, this is my wood stockpile:

It's actually pretty safe. Sometimes a dwarf will be caught on the stockpile when the minecart gets all its contents dumped onto the tile, and then some serious injuries can happen. It's really rare though, in running a 20 year fort with every stockpile like that, it never happened to me. Except for the food stockpile because they sit there and eat but clothing generally deflects the plump helmets and roasts from doing serious injury, and then your medical dwarves can have practice. Or you can just not do it with food stockpiles.

Drink stockpiles won't work, dwarves will sit on that tile and drink and get their heads caved in by barrels.

Saves a ton of space especially for rocks, bars, wood, ammo, weapons and armor, finished goods; anything you end up having gigantic stockpiles for.

The downside is materials in carts won't be counted as useable in reactions, so even if you have 50 steel bars in the minecart a metalsmith will throw a 'Urist cancels making steel helm: no steel bars' until the cart gets dumped. You can fiddle with the 'dump every 14 days no matter what' to make it dump every day if you want though.

e: dumping works too but this works with no micromanagement. I strive for automation in my forts.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 11, 2014