Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

treasureplane posted:

This is the best thing I've ever read

Here's the original, if you didn't know. I'm a real terrible poster who can't come up with poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Well, added that to the OP.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've never heard of them. Did they spend three hours and use several thousand dollars of gear making an acid loop?

They also have a Niio Iotine Core. Is that a required standard for techno?

Here, also fun:

http://youtu.be/xepdHwUvC3E

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

The Cleaner posted:

After your done playing with those toys, you should check out this one company called Buchla.

those things look like they are for people who spend a week making one really annoying sound.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm convinced Buchlas are either $x0,000 bongos or equivalently priced status symbols.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Seriously though: SuperCollider

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Less jokeposting:

Synth thread! It has come time for me to get a new synth! My A4 isn't hitting the sound I really want and I'm finding certain elements of its control cause it to pretty much permanently take a back seat to things I actually want to do. I also sold my Moog and so I'm basically down to two synths with me in Hawaii and I need to find something that'll fill a more useful roll for me of looking nice while I don't actually loving make anything.

I've got a few things I'm thinking about, a Virus TI polar would fill the role of having a keyboard and a sound I really like but having a good degree of ITB control mitigating how much I loving hate programming polysynth patches. There's also the possibility of getting another Tempest, which I regret selling and I could possibly get a good deal on trade and has the potential for some really great sounds as long as you don't care about kick drums.

The problem with both of these is the price; I'm hoping to grab Live 9 during the Christmas sale and a used Push since I've conceded I'm ITB way too loving much these days and that my OTB experiences will likely be limited to jams with friends and attempts to push myself away from the computer, so I at least want something that pretends to play nice with an ITB setup (which the A4 definitely doesn't). The The Push and Live 9 aren't free, and I'm not looking to suddenly up and spend ~2400 on synths and a controller in the next few month, so if I could strike a balance between a fun synth and not spending so much that the Push becomes a financial pipe-dream.

Don't suggest I actually make music you dicks it's my party and I'll not make music if I want to.

e. the A4 has gone up in price since I bought it :woop:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 8, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Prophet 12 do it do it do it do it

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

something that pretends to play nice with an ITB setup (which the A4 definitely doesn't).
e. the A4 has gone up in price since I bought it :woop:

Wait for overbridge? It'll either play nice or be worth more still.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Less jokeposting:

Synth thread! It has come time for me to get a new synth!

You can -have- my zr-76. Then your wife would have something she could make actual music with.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of SCSI flash nightmares. Anybody poke one of these? uSD->SCSI by some aussie. I've got like five different things that could use one. He's even got a trimmed down version for the 2.5 SCSI powerbooks.

fake edit- yo cop dat ensoniq, dog

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Turns out you can use the Microbrute as a Midi keyboard in Ableton when connected via USB which is helpful if you're low on desk space like I am. Gonna try it out for a little while until I get annoyed with tiny keys.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Found this in my useless poo poo pile, mapped it to resolume and added to the VJ rig. Tried really hard not to lol at the gig.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

Found this in my useless poo poo pile, mapped it to resolume and added to the VJ rig. Tried really hard not to lol at the gig.

Please tell me there's video footage of you using this thing

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Please tell me there's video footage of you using this thing

There is, we had a dude with a home build steady cam and there was a documentary crew that I should get footage from. They'll get used soonish in some form, I'll make a point of having a shot of my Belkin Nostromo n52te™ with Nosromo® Array Programming Software powered by Razer™.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, if I saw somebody using that at a gig I would not be able to control my laughter. That owns :allears:

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Holy poo poo, I just got a free laptop for VJing and stuff. My bro who trashed my old 486 with all my tracker files had one that he spilled some red wine into, i disconnected the keyboard (stuck keys) and plugged in an usb one. Runs resolume just fine, just installed ableton lol lol lol.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

W424 posted:

This needs a sw8 plastidip camo job.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

W424 posted:

Now I wish I hadn't tossed out my n52.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Don't you know that you should never get rid of any electronics or wires, lest you might need them??

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

renderful posted:

Don't you know that you should never get rid of any electronics or wires, lest you might need them??

Furthermore, if you're strolling around your neighborhood and you see electronics or wires being discarded, you should probably take them home with you.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Furthermore, if you're strolling around your neighborhood and you see electronics or wires being discarded, you should probably take them home with you.

Also cats.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My best finds were a 61 key Casio keyboard with midi out and no less than four levels of velocity sensitivity and rudimentary sound editing and a fully functioning MiniDisc deck.

I think you can do better by just getting a job at the local dump though.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I need two minidisc decks to DJ with so I can go by DJ lovely Retro

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Wouldn't, you know, turntables be more retro?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sizone posted:

Wouldn't, you know, turntables be more retro?

Not lovely retro enough. Shitro.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Swagger Dagger posted:

Not lovely retro enough. Shitro.

Then I'd say one of these things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Rockers

but the track listing for a bullshit toy cassette deck is surprisingly good

edit:

In the process of getting something kind of done. In the interest of getting something out, here are the individual tracks for the first three sections. The bpm is 143, have fun.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yh0hl91y3c15zw8/goonmixtry1.rar

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/backturnedtothefuture

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 11, 2014

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Fun mini-documentary made about friends' circuit-bending and synth building in Chicago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSjJU4qMQE

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just build a vj rig for basically nothing, the laptop I posted about earlier + some stuff I had lying around. The Akai had a broken fader that I finally took out/still transmits junk but on a different channel etc.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
My wife bought me a Moog Sub Phatty. It is very phat.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Unless posted:

Fun mini-documentary made about friends' circuit-bending and synth building in Chicago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSjJU4qMQE

I ended up enjoying this quite a bit. I really wish they had played more of the piano plus cigar box section and less of the industrial-y stuff, though. I've heard plenty of the latter, and not nearly enough of the former.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Samplr on iOS is the bomb poo poo. Its ui is what all the iOS synths should be emulating, instead of all this skeumorphic poo poo.

Anyway, I took Anthony's advice and made some dumb 2 minute thumps and drones using a voice clip from a snapchat and transposed to -28 octaves or something.

https://soundcloud.com/ziasquinn/somethings-outside-at-more

https://soundcloud.com/ziasquinn/chirps-groans-howls-at-samplr

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Continue to be dead and gay and keep making stuff like that.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a Lexicon MPX500 yesterday and fell in love with my DX7 again. Carefully crafted patches that ended up seeming boring were brought to life with a little chorus/reverb/ambience. The spaciousness of the sound had me looking over my shoulder at things that weren't there.

Noise floor of the unit is a bit high though, roughly 15dB above any of my synths -- even the DX7. With the internal gain at -21dB and preamp gain at 0, it really stands out with the faders at 0 against a near-silent DX7 at +6dB preamp and +10dB on the faders. And the FX is running balanced vs. unbalanced to the synths!

Luckily the sweet spot for most FX is 100% wet at -10 to -15dB in this configuration. It kind of kills the unit as an insert, but I guess it means I won't have to wear out the stiff-as-poo poo rotary encoder controlling the mix.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Nice, I just picked up a Roland RSP-500 so we will have to compare notes at some point. Had my eye on the Lexicon as well but found one of the Rolands locally for cheap.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'd be interested in what kind of noise floor that unit has, although it will be hard to A/B them unless we happen to have similarly-specced audio interfaces (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2).

Put together a terrible Acid jam on the KingKorg last night with a swirly reverb. It really is remarkable how a smidge of spaciousness improves a sound. Guess I should finally record something.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sizone posted:

Continue to be dead and gay and keep making stuff like that.

Ha definitely. It was a lot of fun. I almost got the chirps and stuff to sound like the metroid cries.

More experimentation is necessary.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oh I also guess I owe a post about upgrading the storage in my EMU E4XT Ultra. The final piece of the puzzle came in the mail yesterday and everything just "works" now so I might as well recap how I spent over $600 to be able to copy samples from my PC to my 17 year old sampler:

The EMU E4XT comes standard with a baller 4GB hard drive. I would have scrapped the HD long ago due to the amount of noise and heat (and eventual unreliability) it added to the sampler but this particular HD contained a bunch of great programs and samples, many from the EMU Planet Phatt and Orbit ROMs but also a good deal of percussion and keyboard samples which I was told were used by Paul Simon's band during their Graceland tour (the E4XT was later donated to a music school which the seller was involved with). I wanted to grab all those files and replace the mechanical HD, but my only means would have been a SCSI cable and an old Mac (both of which I don't possess), so I had to get creative.

I was also hoping to install some hardware that would let me easily transfer my own collection of sounds into the EMU (compact flash seems to be the standard upgrade for this but I'd also seen some posts about an SD card reader which is compatible with many old EMU and AKAIs). As it turns out, expanding the storage capacity of the sampler and adding some removable media doesn't come cheap, the few places where you can find these SCSI/IDE legacy components know they are selling a sought after accessory fancied by people who have no problem spending thousands on a Moog, but I set my end budget at a semi-reasonable $200 for this project because I expected at least some costs when going down this road.

All of these components were bought off of sellers on eBay who do (good) business selling these types of ancient hardware upgrades. I can't speak for how well my solution would work in an AKAI sampler but I do know that many of these products are designed to be as compatible as possible. Since SCSI and IDE are such old technologies, most storage upgrade products will feature SATA connectors or some other faster bus technology which then needs to be translated (by a bridge chip or card) to communicate with the port on the main board. The bridge seems to be the most important aspect of compatibility in this project and all of the products that worked with the least hassle had chips manufactured by ACARD or ACHIP. YMMV.

The first solution ($220 shipped) I went with was from a guy on eBay who sells a bunch of different kits for various AKAI, Roland, Emu, and other hardware. He was also the only vender who offered a 3.5" bay SD card reader that was apparently compatible with my E4XT. The kit included the reader (Addonics ADIDESD), molex and IDE cables, an SD card, an IDE bridge card, and another card to convert a small pin IDE to the standard 40 pin. The vendor was really nice and answered all of my questions, he even included a modified molex cable which was necessary for drawing power from the main board to any external devices (the red and yellow wires are swapped around on Emu's power pins because: greed).

Mounting it inside the E4XT was a bit of a pain considering the bracket had 1 screw hole that wasn't properly aligned, but my powerdrill helped fix that. Usability wise however, I could not seem to get the reader working with the sampler. Tried a bunch of different settings, turned SCSI termination on/off, played with jumpers, and a whole lot more but despite reading these kits were compatible with my hardware, I just couldn't make it happen. It could have been the SD card, file system format (was using FAT32), could have been a bad bridge card, could have even been a jumper put in the wrong place, but I didn't feel like wrestling with it too much. The vendor graciously accepted my return and let me keep the special molex cable he made.

Now, having the card reader installed would have solved half my problems, but I still needed to find something that would replace the internal hard drive. Enter the Stratos AztecMonster internal CF/IDE drive. Normally the 1 vendor on eBay sells them for like $120 but I found someone re-selling theirs for $99. I had a 16GB CF card on hand so I wouldn't need to buy much else to try this out. Installing the AztecMonster was a breeze, the bridge chip is on the board so all that was required was plugging in the power and IDE cables. The device was recognized instantly by the E4XT and I went ahead and formatted the CF card using the sampler.

AFAIK, 16GB is the maximum size you can have on one IDE partition. You can have multiple partitions on a single IDE device (identified with separate IDs) but they'd each end up being 16GB max. The SCSI bus is a different story and we'll get to that later. The CF card formatted without a problem, so I was pretty happy how smoothly this was going, but then I ran into some issues when backing up the contents of the mechanical hard drive to the CF card. About half way through the backup I'd get thrown an error message ("unspecified error") which I initially attributed to a corrupt file or something wonky on the old hard drive. As it turns out though, the CF card was the issue. Mine was branded Komputerbay and it has worked fine in my Octatrack but older hardware tends to be a lot more finicky. Long story short, I went out and got a Transcend 16GB CF card (UDMA, 400x), swapped it into the AztecMonster, and the backup worked flawlessly. From what I've read on various message boards I highly recommend Transcend and SanDisk media for these older samplers since it "just works" in my experience.

So, now I had an internal solution but still needed something for the 3.5" bay. Sure I could have opened up the sampler, taken the CF card out, plugged it into a reader, uploaded samples, plugged it back into the Emu, and put it all together again, but that's a pain. Plus 16GB is a lot of storage, but I also have a lot of samples I want to play around with. Doing a little bit more research, I came upon another Addonics device, the Addonics Digidrive ($99). This one uses a SATA/IDE bridge (included in the package) and has 2 SATA connections, so I could plug in a reader AND have some kind of internal drive to store things on. The Digidrive also had a couple of different formats it could read and I like that kind of flexibility. For the internal drive I chose to get a 128GB SanDisk SSD drive which ran me about $65.

Now the first thing I noticed when I received the Digidrive was that there are no holes on the bracket to mount the unit to the frame of the sampler. That's a major downside, but I could drill holes if need be. Connecting it to the sampler seemed to work OK but when I'd pull up the Drives screen the icon for the Digidrive was different than I had seen before, it had a bunch of Zzzs on it. I'm still not 100% on what was going on here but when I'd click on the drive I'd get the message "waking device" and then an error that "there are no folders on the disk". Then the E4XT would bring me back to the Drives screen, and the Digidrive device would disappear from the list. Rebooting the sampler brought the menu item up again but the problem persisted. Using a correctly formatted CF card or an SD card didn't make a difference. It must have been something to do with the bridge and IDE bus, but I quickly said "gently caress it" to this solution.

So here I am, I have a 16GB CF card, a 128GB SATA SSD, and a bunch of pieces of hardware that kind of do what I needed but got me no closer to my goal of replacing the internal hard drive and giving me a removable storage option. Getting the hard drive out was more important to me but as I thought about my needs more it began to dawn on me that it might be easier to not bother with internal storage AT ALL and instead use my removable media as the main hard disk. Lucky for me, Stratos has a new product called the DinoMonster which is a 3.5" SATA SSD drive that is 100% hot swappable. I could return all the other junk I bought, keep my SSD, and use all 128GB of space with the DinoMonster. The eBay vendor selling these Stratos products had been out of stock for a few weeks of this particular model but a few just popped up in the last week, so I went for it. At $129 it was cheaper than the initial SD card solution and I felt confident about using another Stratos product because the AztecMonster "just worked".

Installation was a breeze, there are many holes on the board for screw mounts, and the device was instantly recognized by the sampler. My only concern was that the E4XT might not be able to see all 128GB but this turned out to be unfounded. The sampler very quickly formatted all 128GB as usable FAT32 space. For the first time I could back up the mechanical HD and plug the SSD into my computer to see how the Emu formatted files work.

I assumed I could read the audio samples without an issue but the samples for each project are contained in a proprietary file format. No dice for now but there might be something out there that lets me rip out the audio files from these old projects. Loading .wavs onto the SSD and having them get read by the sampler was no problem. Loading the samples into the internal memory took a few seconds due to the file sizes, the audio for the one sample pack I tested also sounded a tad grainier than the samples which were presumably ripped directly to the EMU (I have to compare more about the audio formats to know for sure) but now I've got a 128GB SATA hard drive I can transfer audio to and from running on a piece of equipment that came out when I was just getting into high school (1GHz processors were all the rage at the time too if that gives you any perspective).

I'm very happy with the DinoMonster and I hope this long rear end post will give some other people an idea of what hardware will work best for them in their ancient samplers. I also have the AztecMonster still as well as the 16GB CF card full of the Emu formatted sample sets I mentioned. I was thinking of eBaying both together but if anyone is looking for internal storage for their sampler this is definitely the way to go. Send me a message if you'd be interested in buying it off me.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 12, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

AFAIK, 16GB is the maximum size you can have on one IDE partition.
That would be a limitation of the filesystem used, in turn dictated by what the OS of the device that's going to read/write on it supports. Not the bus type used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Dinomonster looks awesome god drat. On the samples, chickensys lol! :downsrim:
It should support SDS dump actually if you get desperate, it'll just take forever.