Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
It basically started from this

The Chairman posted:

The Excalibur hunt situation's settled down; I think the server's figured out that being nice to PBC means less problems compared to trying to shut them out. We even have our own special tag on the public Teamspeak, and everyone likes Vandes' raid calls (probably since he's like the one goddamn person on that server who isn't talking with a mouth full of marbles during a hurricane). The only drama I've seen lately is caused by people face-pulling things they can't see (as well as Naul/Myradosh drama, but that's its own dumb little microcosm of people who refuse to understand how hunts work).

The Chairman posted:

With how big PBC/DGKK are and how willing the rest of the server is to have grudges, I'd rather have the bluebie sharing system than have all ~900 goons blackballed forever because one pulled early some time and it morphed into a grand conspiracy by goons to steal all hunts forever

the conspiracy continues to grow thanks to the tinfoil hat guys on official forums and we ended up with this:

quote:

The Chairman: I am the leader of Please Be Careful and I ruin every hunt with my terrible FC full of bad people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

more like dICK posted:

I stopped playing this before 2.1 came out, is there a good summary on what's changed? Also is there a way to reset an account on ffgoons.com? I can't remember what email I used.

Each 2.x patch changed a huge amount of the game. Luckily SE has put all their patch notes in the same place: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The reason Gong Way says "Ruan is nice" in the second log is I chatted with him for an hour or two the other night trying to diffuse the insane paranoia of an rping teenager.

Of course that could not be allowed to stand so the RP continued.

He just kind of trailed off into philosophizing with me after that.

Bottom line: my impression is that Gong Way was/is a proto-Ryu Mon who takes the game way too seriously and was RPing being on a serious mission to help Excalibur. :shrug:

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Gongs is basically Hildebrand's long lost brother.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Finally, it is done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How the hell you gonna be a level 50 healer without swiftcast? You, sir, are far from done.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thinking about trying this out. If really all I care about is mindlessly easy soloing/farming, what's the best class or job or whatever to concentrate on?

Also, someone mentioned a recruit a friend code, if anyone wants to toss that my way (I assume it gets you something as well), I'll use it

Pretty much everything is surprising good at soloing. You can even get a chocobuddy to help fill in some DPS if you're playing tank/healer.

And if nobody's gotten to you yet about the recruit a friend, I can shoot you a code. I think I have to send it via your E-mail, though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So this is what PBC says about their DGKK cousins behind their backs. Typical.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Jay Rust posted:

So this is what PBC says about their DGKK cousins behind their backs. Typical.

It funny that at that point I was talking with Gong about how there wouldn't be two FC's at all if the devs hadn't been so uncompromising on FC size.

Don't know what you're complaining about the Tonberrys are doing exactly what you guys wanted them to :colbert:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Pretty much everything is surprising good at soloing. You can even get a chocobuddy to help fill in some DPS if you're playing tank/healer.

And if nobody's gotten to you yet about the recruit a friend, I can shoot you a code. I think I have to send it via your E-mail, though.

Send to admin5 at fastmail.fm

Thanks!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I can only wish this game was singleplayer :(

Few pages back, but FFXII. :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Send to admin5 at fastmail.fm

Thanks!

Code is sent. BA-BAM

Once you slap some sub money on it, we will both get cool things.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Code is sent. BA-BAM

Once you slap some sub money on it, we will both get cool things.

Thanks, I applied it. I'll probably want to try it out for a bit before I sub, so it may be a few days (or never, if I don't like it).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Nice! posted:

How the hell you gonna be a level 50 healer without swiftcast? You, sir, are far from done.

Because I have rarely done dungeons because I love crafting so loving much.

Like seriously, 90% of the last month has had me sitting in Hawker's Alley crafting to the detriment of everything else.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

broken pixel posted:

It's come to my attention the brief saga of Gong Way hasn't been seen by everyone.

Part 1: Extortion | Part 2: Brewing Rebellion | Part 3: The Confrontation

Mods change my name to THRONE OF VIPERS

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Does that mean Chairman is now Chairman of Vipers?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thinking about trying this out. If really all I care about is mindlessly easy soloing/farming, what's the best class or job or whatever to concentrate on?

Also, someone mentioned a recruit a friend code, if anyone wants to toss that my way (I assume it gets you something as well), I'll use it

Gonna give you a huge warning straight up: The game's quest content is locked up by the main quest line. As you do the main quest, side quests and stuff will unlock all over the place. At level 15, the main quest will send you through 3 4-man dungeons. This trend will continue every 5 or so levels past level 15 (so expect to see a dungeon or trial boss fight that requires a small party to complete fairly often). If you can't stand grouping at all, FF14 probably isn't for you.

On the other hand, FF14 probably has the best learning curve of any MMO on the market. The early dungeons are super chill and easy, and the game actually does a really good job of slowly introducing more complex mechanics as you continue to level up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Willias posted:

Gonna give you a huge warning straight up: The game's quest content is locked up by the main quest line. As you do the main quest, side quests and stuff will unlock all over the place. At level 15, the main quest will send you through 3 4-man dungeons. This trend will continue every 5 or so levels past level 15 (so expect to see a dungeon or trial boss fight that requires a small party to complete fairly often). If you can't stand grouping at all, FF14 probably isn't for you.

On the other hand, FF14 probably has the best learning curve of any MMO on the market. The early dungeons are super chill and easy, and the game actually does a really good job of slowly introducing more complex mechanics as you continue to level up.

Hmm. Well, I'll give it a try. I'm not like, totally adverse to grouping, I don't mind running a dungeon once to advance a quest, I just don't typically get deep into raiding or endgame dungeons for the most part.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
So for Scholar, is the optimal hunt strategy to tag the mob with Bio, burn through all your Lustrates and then spam Succor? Or should I skip the Lustrates and go straight to Succor?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

So for Scholar, is the optimal hunt strategy to tag the mob with Bio, burn through all your Lustrates and then spam Succor? Or should I skip the Lustrates and go straight to Succor?

I'd just go for succors. Your contribution is based around emnity generation.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

bonewitch posted:

For this same reason, I like to start with Energy Drain instead of Bio or Ruin II. I don't know if that piddly little extra damage helps, but it makes me feel better.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

I thought Lustrate generated pretty good enmity, but I wasn't sure if it did enough to be worth using over an extra one or two casts of Succor. Thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lustrate is off GCD so I would think weave one in between each succor.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lustrate is off GCD so I would think weave one in between each succor.

Yeah, that's what I do, on the highest-HP target you can target.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's what I do, on the highest-HP target you can target.

Wait wouldn't an AOE heal be your best threat generation considering how many people you're hitting or does the AOE spell threat not work like that?

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
That's what they're doing. Succor is the Scholar AOE heal. Lustrate is an off-cd, single-target, 25% health heal so that's why they're talking about weaving it in between Succors. That's possible because it's off-cd.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Awww yeah, creeping up little by little. :allears:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

siotle posted:

That's what they're doing. Succor is the Scholar AOE heal. Lustrate is an off-cd, single-target, 25% health heal so that's why they're talking about weaving it in between Succors. That's possible because it's off-cd.

Ah, for some reason I forgot that. I was thinking of Medica 2 maybe?

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Finally, it is done.

Any insights for someone starting out on the same journey? I just got them all to 15.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Have you ever thought 'boy I sure would like to do some end game raiding but nobody will give me a chance!'? Well now you can suffer with the rest of us without the hassle of starting your own group of idiots.

I'm running a new linkshell reminiscent of football school, only instead of learning primals I'm teaching people how to do coil. Given most people have been running and clearning coil 2 for months now people tend to fall into two camps. Veterans who have their own coil groups, or new people who have never even seen the inside of coil 2. Well to everybody who missed the boat in 2.2 here's a second chance to get some learning done.

I don't care if you've already downed turn 6 and just want to practice 7 or if you haven't even beaten twin at all, check out the thread over on FFgoons and let me know.

Unlike football school we're dealing with lockouts so there will be alot of first come first serve going on when we're looking for people to teach. Get in the linkshell and hang out on tuesday/wednesday nights when we'll most likely be looking for a few volunteers.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Is there a set time when servers like Excalibur open up for character creation? A couple friends got me to resub and they're on Gilgamesh but it's been locked almost all day.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Smornstein posted:

Is there a set time when servers like Excalibur open up for character creation? A couple friends got me to resub and they're on Gilgamesh but it's been locked almost all day.

Whenever nerds sleep, so any time before lunch would be my guess.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Beeme posted:

Any insights for someone starting out on the same journey? I just got them all to 15.
Carpenter 50, Culinarian 37, Weaver 50, the rest.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Beeme posted:

Raise them all in parallel, is my advice. Then you get to make all your own gear (and having HQ gear makes making more HQ gear easier) and convert stuff and make new stuff whenever it hits full bond. Crafting materia is pretty valuable. Plus it's easier to do leves en masse when you are only going to one place IMO.

Better insight : Do what feels like it's fun, when it feels like it's fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tylana posted:

Raise them all in parallel, is my advice. Then you get to make all your own gear (and having HQ gear makes making more HQ gear easier) and convert stuff and make new stuff whenever it hits full bond. Crafting materia is pretty valuable. Plus it's easier to do leves en masse when you are only going to one place IMO.

Better insight : Do what feels like it's fun, when it feels like it's fun.

Raising them all in parallel is fine and easy, but life is just dandy if you get CRP at least to 50 first. Byregot's blessing is a free HQ on almost any item at any level. CUL to 37 for steady hand 2 is entirely just to make it easier to get more stacks on inner quiet for BB. Everyone recommends weaver to 50 next for careful synth 2 because it is just an amazing ability as well. However, you don't need CS2 in the end. It's an awesome and amazing skill you absolutely need at a point, but you don't have to have it to HQ stuff at most levels.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Get one of them to 50 first so you can actually start making money in between leveling your other crafts up. You will run out of leves if you're powering through all the classes and you might as well do something in the downtime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
General tips for leveling crafting classes;

• Always turn in HQ items to leves. If you can't HQ something (generally the 40-durability components like cloth or metal bars or honey or whatever) ask a goon to help out and we will because we rule like that.
  • Set your favoured destinations to the place you're turning it in and your free destination to the capital city you're getting the leves from.
  • Even if it costs a little money try and keep your armour up to date and HQ.
  • Especially the right-side items because a lot of CP comes from there and you want it.
  • If you 100% spiritbond your crafting/gathering armor immediately convert and sell it and ask a goon to HQ you some more.

General tips for leveling gathering classes;
  • Netflix
  • A bunch of gathering leves let you turn in three lots of three for more exp, always do this because it saves your leve allowance.
  • Fishing 50 will make you want to hurt someone.
  • Netflix

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Beeme posted:

Grind cash rather than crafting things. You'll want to do leves from 20-50 and pubbies will craft HQ leve materials for barely above material cost (sometimes below counting crystals) if you're patient and don't mind shouting in Limsa. Just pick a TV series on Netflix and start casually spamming your shout message till someone does the job, ignoring all the people who say "nobody will do it that cheap". Usually you'll get someone within 15-20 minutes even late at night.

It's possible to take all crafts 20-50 with ease that way and come pretty close to breaking even on the whole process. You save by not having to buy any gear past the low level stuff you used to get to 20 and it's a whole lot less hassle/button pushing. The only annoyance is having to wait for leve allowances to recharge.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Beeme posted:

It depends on if you want to level them all simultaneously or handle one or two at a time. I did all classes simultaneously so I could keep only one set of crafting gear while leveling.

I would just go down the list leveling them in 5 level increments. Don't worry about leves until you're 20-25. Do HQ courier leves, that will save your leve allowance and your pocket book. Multi-turn in leves are too expensive and non-courier leves don't give enough XP. Ignore crafting job quests. They're a waste of time and their rewards are crap compared to what you're crafting since you're going HQ.

I replaced all my gear every 10 levels (25,35,45).

Only use HQ gear and do HQ turn-ins.

Have patience.

It took me about 200 leves give or take. I'd been working on this for the better part of a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Ignore crafting job quests. They're a waste of time and their rewards are crap compared to what you're crafting since you're going HQ.

I hope you just mean ignore them until you're at cap.

• Locked thread