Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Was John from Cincinnati any good?

Depends on how thinly veiled you like your Christ analogies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

IMB posted:

I'm getting such a strong Carnivale vibe from this show, and I like it.

Hopefully it won't also get canceled after 2 seasons, leaving all the plot threads unresolved.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
A new Nic Cage movie called the Left Behind is coming out and it looks like the same plot as the Leftovers accept it deals with what happened when the Departure actually happened. I guess this movie is based on a set of Christian books called the Left Behind. It's strange that it would come out the same year that the Leftovers did. I think in this movie the disappearances are actually supposed to be caused by the Rapture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwHQfvY_s_Y

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, weren't the Left Behind books made into horrible made-for-tv-movies starring Kirk Cameron years ago?

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, weren't the Left Behind books made into horrible made-for-tv-movies starring Kirk Cameron years ago?

It was, my understanding is that this new Nic Cage movie is a re-boot (kind of).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Stabitha posted:

A new Nic Cage movie called the Left Behind is coming out and it looks like the same plot as the Leftovers accept it deals with what happened when the Departure actually happened. I guess this movie is based on a set of Christian books called the Left Behind. It's strange that it would come out the same year that the Leftovers did. I think in this movie the disappearances are actually supposed to be caused by the Rapture.

Left Behind is completely un-ambiguous about the fact that it is the Rapture.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Max posted:

If you thought the Leftovers featured horrible people inexplicably doing random things, boy are you in for a treat!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Subterfrugal posted:

If you thought the Leftovers featured horrible people inexplicably doing random things, boy are you in for a treat!

404s are p evil.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Max posted:

Also I believe they're basically a conservative/fundamentalist mouthpiece.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I believe they're basically a conservative/fundamentalist mouthpiece.

Yes, that too.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I just read The Leftovers book in the past few days. It was really actually pretty good. I was worried about "spoiling" the show but really it didn't. I mean, I know more stuff about what the Guilty Remnant are and Holy Wayne and all that, but really it was just a good character study. Little details are different, but for the most part I am glad I read it.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Stabitha posted:

It blows my mind that this exists. After the books and the Cameron movie(s?). Good lord, Cage really needs to get his finances under control.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Ashrik posted:

It blows my mind that this exists. After the books and the Cameron movie(s?). Good lord, Cage really needs to get his finances under control.

This is what's to be expected from Nick Cage but surely Vic Armstrong find something better to direct then this crap ? He's been stunt double for everyone and second unit director for Spielberg and Scorcese ffs.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The twins are pretty funny

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

The twins are pretty funny

They were in Teen Wolf as well and were pretty entertaining. Of course that could be because they constantly fused together to create a giant werewolf.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Garvey getting lucky :dance:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nora is so adorable.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Two months went by? Snow is still on the ground?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Dantu posted:

Nora is so adorable.

My wife and I are in love with her.

Edit: Nora hosing down liv

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 11, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

His dog seems p chill.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I like liv tyler more now that she's silent.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

beanieson posted:

I like liv tyler more now that she's silent.

Best possible move for her.

I really liked this episode. The revelation about Wayne's women grounds his story a little more, in a good way. And the constant parallels between the father and son's story lines were interesting.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That sure was an episode.

Preview indicated that we are approaching the final three episodes. Of the series? I can't find any info on if this was intended to be a miniseries or if it's been renewed or whatever.

I'll be much more excited to watch if I know this is going to all wrap up soon. I don't think it can sustain multiple seasons.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
What's in that loving magazine.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I was hoping Kevin was going to have some revelation while staring at the magazine in the trash....

*rolls up magazine* "now to go rehabilitate that dog" :cop:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

beanieson posted:

I was hoping Kevin was going to have some revelation while staring at the magazine in the trash....

*rolls up magazine* "now to go rehabilitate that dog" :cop:

That is exactly what I was expecting the magazine to be for.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

That sure was an episode.
Yep.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Max posted:

Best possible move for her.

I really liked this episode. The revelation about Wayne's women grounds his story a little more, in a good way. And the constant parallels between the father and son's story lines were interesting.

Besides the hand injury, what was there?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ashrik posted:

Besides the hand injury, what was there?

He likes underage Asian girls

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Aimee's not Asian. :colbert:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think he was asking about parallels between generations of Garvey men.

Here's another: Tommy and his father both tried to distance themselves from crazy, only to be pulled back in (Tommy loses his faith in Wayne but will likely accept the responsibility of caring for his child; Chief Garvey rejects the National Geographic twice, but ultimately accepts his father's burden by taking it out of the trash.

Tommy and his father both shatter connections with religious leaders (by breaking their phones).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ersatz posted:

Here's another: Tommy and his father both tried to distance themselves from crazy, only to be pulled back in (Tommy loses his faith in Wayne but will likely accept the responsibility of caring for his child; Chief Garvey rejects the National Geographic twice, but ultimately accepts his father's burden by taking it out of the trash.

Tommy and his father both shatter connections with religious leaders (by breaking their phones).

Ahh yes, I misread. Anyway that issue of the Nat Geo has a story about the Minoan civilization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_civilization pretty cool little reference that probably doesn't mean much

edit: from my googling looks like Christine said something about a spider living in the water and that's on the cover as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_bell_spider

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 11, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Ahh yes, I misread. Anyway that issue of the Nat Geo has a story about the Minoan civilization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_civilization pretty cool little reference that probably doesn't mean much

edit: from my googling looks like Christine said something about a spider living in the water and that's on the cover as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_bell_spider

There's also a story about Cairo. "Cairo" was spoken over the police scanner right before Garvey opened his front door. It's also the title of the next episode.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ersatz posted:

The other obvious one is the mailbox they both interact with.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This show 100% has Lost's DNA and that's not a bad thing for me. Really excited to see where the last 3 episodes go.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think it's funny how they edited the preview of this last episode to make everyone think that Kevin was going to sleep with his daughter's friend. Or that people saw what they wanted to see. Have they explained why she is always there yet?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Honestly I think he has been sleeping with her and just doesn't remember it like everything else he's been doing in his pill daze.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

lifts cats over head posted:

I think it's funny how they edited the preview of this last episode to make everyone think that Kevin was going to sleep with his daughter's friend. Or that people saw what they wanted to see. Have they explained why she is always there yet?

Did you not hang out at your friend's house all the time? Because I certainly did.

Other answer: Her parents were not-raptured.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tomahawk posted:

Honestly I think he has been sleeping with her and just doesn't remember it like everything else he's been doing in his pill daze.

This is where I'm at, too.

Max posted:

Did you not hang out at your friend's house all the time? Because I certainly did.

Other answer: Her parents were not-raptured.

She's not just hanging out. It's been explicitly mentioned that she lives there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In that case, I imagine something is up with her parents.

• Locked thread