Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The exploitation of Third World labor and environmental degradation is a small price to pay for breakfast pastries with different artificial flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I actually just spent a fair amount of time trying to find a real YouTube of the Moscow on the Hudson coffee scene, not metacafe or other such foolishness. The fact that I have failed represents a crime against information.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Edible Hat posted:

The exploitation of Third World labor and environmental degradation is a small price to pay for breakfast pastries with different artificial flavors.

Most of which will be thrown out after "expiration" and then covered in bleach to prevent homeless people from eating them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does Carson actually express those "I know better than Obama about issues because I'm a top neurosurgeon" sentiments I see in Facebook/twitter macros, or are True Conservatives just making those themselves? There's nothing more obnoxious than someone who thinks they're literally better than other people at everything because they have an advanced skillset in one specific area.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Having been a Reason mag reader in a previous life, I can confirm that Nick Gillespie does in fact dress in all black and attempt to look like Lou Reed. He has been gunning for that "Lou Reed of Libertarians" title for a long time, so really if he gains that he can try to make a tortured argument that if Ron Paul is Kurt Cobain, then he was somehow more influential among the truly cool bands and Ron Paul Cobain wasn't the true forerunner because he wasn't as cool (would have been if he'd not hung around racists) and gave us poo poo like Nickleback (Ted Cruz).

More accurately, Ayn Rand is The Velvet Underground.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If Carson was so smart he would have gotten elected to something by now :smug:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Does Carson actually express those "I know better than Obama about issues because I'm a top neurosurgeon" sentiments I see in Facebook/twitter macros, or are True Conservatives just making those themselves? There's nothing more obnoxious than someone who thinks they're literally better than other people at everything because they have an advanced skillset in one specific area.

I've known enough working professionals in my life too that being extremely knowledgable and educated in a particular field doesn't exempt you from being an idiot.

2016 :allears: Until the republican party voters all die off, and then the republican party turns mostly into the democratic party around 2030 or 2040, each political season is probably going to get more and more crazy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FAUXTON posted:

If Carson was so smart he would have gotten elected to something by now :smug:
ya more like ben losin'

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Tender Bender posted:

He was on Fox News recently saying that we need to be afraid because one of the Ebola patients in the US could be offered a million dollars to pee in our water supply. Obviously he has his finger on the pulse of the true issues.

Source.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Biff Rockgroin posted:

What I want to know is what is an "exotic" pop-tart? Isn't the weirdest flavor they make, like, wildberry?

You can get frosted AND unfrosted strawberry pop-tarts! Hail libertarianism!
Trader Joe's has cherry pomegranate pop-tarts with their own branding on em.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bunleigh posted:

Trader Joe's has cherry pomegranate pop-tarts with their own branding on em.

Praise Reagan!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
In true libertarian fashion, I think that people who get sick from pop tarts get what's coming to them for eating literal garbage. The free market works! Don't eat pop tarts.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Had a dream that 8 libertarian/conservative/whack jobs and Huntsman ran. Huntsman won with 17%.

Praise Arkane.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So who was the goon that broke down in the toothpaste aisle because of all the choices after returning from deployment?

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Aliquid posted:

So who was the goon that broke down in the toothpaste aisle because of all the choices after returning from deployment?

Isn't this basically making fun of someone for having mental issues from literally being in a war? You can't really blame people for being triggered by weird stuff, think of all those stories of vietnam vets having flashbacks after hearing a car backfire or whatever.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

This just makes me think of that Oliver Stone movie Heaven & Earth when he takes his Vietnamese wife to the supermarket for the first time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

De Nomolos posted:

This just makes me think of that Oliver Stone movie Heaven & Earth when he takes his Vietnamese wife to the supermarket for the first time.

We actually had a toothpaste debate not too long ago on these forums and people were actually trying to prove that having more than one flavor was a frivolous use of resources (even though toothpaste is 99.9% the same).

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
But some of us only like orange flavored toothpaste.... :qq:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So it's August 2014 and already Hillary is tacking right of Obama on foreign policy.

quote:

Clinton also offered tough criticism of Obama's role in the Syria conflict. According to Clinton, the decision to not back moderate Syrian rebels in the early stages of the civil war opened the door for groups like the Islamic State, the militant group formerly known as ISIS, to emerge.

“The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled,” Clinton said.

The former New York senator has previously pointed to the daylight between herself and the president on Syria. In a June interview with CNN, Clinton said she and other officials pressed Obama to arm the rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but the White House ultimately rejected the plan. However, in that interview Clinton wouldn't say whether arming rebels would have prevented the rise of extremist groups elsewhere.

"It's very difficult, in retrospect, to say that would have prevented this," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/10/hillary-clinton-obama_n_5665901.html

So the GOP is going after Obama on Iraq, and at least one Democrat is going after him on Syria. Ah, to be a lame duck POTUS....

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it's August 2014 and already Hillary is tacking right of Obama on foreign policy.

She's also had some words to say recently about out greatest ally Israel!

From the I/P thread:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hillary-clinton-blasts-unfair-world-reaction-over-gaza-cites-anti-semitism-as-factor/ posted:

Asked if the Israeli response was disproportionate, she replied: “Israel was attacked by rockets from Gaza. Israel has a right to defend itself. The steps Hamas has taken to embed rockets and command-and-control facilities and tunnel entrances in civilian areas, this makes a response by Israel difficult. Of course Israel, just like the United States, or any other democratic country, should do everything they can possibly do to limit civilian casualties. We see this enormous international reaction against Israel. This reaction is uncalled for and unfair.

Pressed on whether Israel was doing enough to limit civilian casualties, she answered: “It’s unclear. I think Israel did what it had to do to respond to the rockets. And there is the surprising number and complexity of the tunnels, and Hamas has consistently, not just in this conflict, but in the past, been less than protective of their civilians.”

She said anti-Semitism was a factor in the unfair international reaction against Israel: “There are a number of factors going into it. You can’t ever discount anti-Semitism, especially with what’s going on in Europe today. There are more demonstrations against Israel by an exponential amount than there are against Russia seizing part of Ukraine and shooting down a civilian airliner. So there’s something else at work here than what you see on TV.”

She said the conflict was “so effectively stage-managed by Hamas, and always has been. What you see is largely what Hamas invites and permits Western journalists to report on from Gaza. It’s the old PR problem that Israel has. Yes, there are substantive, deep levels of antagonism or anti-Semitism towards Israel, because it’s a powerful state, a really effective military. And Hamas paints itself as the defender of the rights of the Palestinians to have their own state. So the PR battle is one that is historically tilted against Israel.”

Clinton said the deaths of so many children were “dreadful.” Asked to parcel out blame, she said: “I’m not sure it’s possible to parcel out blame because it’s impossible to know what happens in the fog of war. Some reports say, maybe it wasn’t the exact UN school that was bombed, but it was the annex to the school next door where they were firing the rockets. And I do think oftentimes that the anguish you are privy to because of the coverage, and the women and the children and all the rest of that, makes it very difficult to sort through to get to the truth.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that Hamas initiated this conflict and wanted to do so in order to leverage its position, having been shut out by the Egyptians post-Morsi, having been shunned by the Gulf, having been pulled into a technocratic government with Fatah and the Palestinian Authority that might have caused better governance and a greater willingness on the part of the people of Gaza to move away from tolerating Hamas in their midst. So the ultimate responsibility has to rest on Hamas and the decisions it made.”

Needless to say I don't think we have to worry about Hillary getting criticized for "second-guessing Netanyahu" on Hamas. Or as poster oldswitcheroo put it:

oldswitcheroo posted:

"I'm not sure it's possible to blame the guy shooting an artillery shell at a child for that child's death"

-the next President of the United States

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I read the comments on some of those Hillary articles and there was a lot of Warren/Sanders 2016 talk.

Good luck with that.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Tender Bender posted:

Being good at neurosurgery is an automatic contraindication for being good at nearly anything else.

Internet Webguy posted:

He was on Fox News recently saying that we need to be afraid because one of the Ebola patients in the US could be offered a million dollars to pee in our water supply. Obviously he has his finger on the pulse of the true issues.

Source.

I will confirm that Ben Carson is right when he says that we aren't guarding against these kinds of "worst case scenarios." Call one hospital and ask them about their ebola urine for cash prevention program. They won't have one. Thanks, Obamacare.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 11, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SavageBastard posted:

Being good at neurosurgery is an automatic contraindication for being good at nearly anything else.

I'm sure hes spent days and days in the doctor's lounge on call watching fox news so is well informed on the subject.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
Please someone tell me we can do better than Hillary Clinton?

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

D_I posted:

Can or will?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

D_I posted:

Since you're apparently in 2007, I'm going to give you a tip: don't invest in mortgage backed securities.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hillary will at least give us some decent SC appointments if she's elected right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Hillary will at least give us some decent SC appointments if she's elected right?
I guess, but she's basically a more conservative version of Obama who is more of a hawk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess, but she's basically a more conservative version of Obama who is more of a hawk.

You can at least sooth yourself with the knowledge that she's better than the winner of the GOP Thunderdome.

Lesser of Two Evils, USA USA USA!

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

A viable Democrat alternative to Hillary has yet to present him/herself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

She will probably do the same things Obama and Bill would do. So bomb Iraq and anywhere else there's a problem but never let a boot hit the ground. Also Israel can do no wrong.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

She will probably do the same things Obama and Bill would do. So bomb Iraq and anywhere else there's a problem but never let a boot hit the ground. Also Israel can do no wrong.

At this point it's the best we can hope for.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Google Rand Paul

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Google Rand Paul

Mmmm no, I don't think I'm gonna do that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ninjasaurus posted:

At this point it's the best we can hope for.

Pretty much it is going to be Hillary just presenting current era Democratic domestic policy and a more right-wing foreign policy to liberals and telling them "want a Republican instead huh?" They will acquiesce and everyone gets to pretend for a few months that it is actually an meaningful election.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Isn't Biden less hawkish on foreign policy?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If only the GOP could stop being such idiot cartoon villains so that the "at least I'm not a Republican" argument would hold absolutely zero weight. I mean, in retrospect, a McCain/Palin administration could have been an extinction level event. No joke.

Swan Oat posted:

Isn't Biden less hawkish on foreign policy?
There are many areas in which Biden is Captain Consensus, but foreign policy is the one area where even when he's wrong he doesn't just phone it in. He genuinely cares and knows everyone on every side of every issue. Whenever he starts pontificating on the topic it can actually get pretty interesting, though of course as Biden he can flub the poo poo out of it too.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

D_I posted:

Can't, won't, don't deserve to.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
What the hell do you guys mean when you say "hawk"? I ask as a non-American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What the hell do you guys mean when you say "hawk"? I ask as a non-American.

Someone who is aggressive on foreign policy, as opposed to a "dove".

• Locked thread