Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Also worth mentioning that the captain and several crew members changed clothes as the boat was sinking so that they could pass as civilians and get on the life boats.

And I've watched some of those videos, it's pretty drat sad to hear the kids going like "oh man what if it really does sink and we all die (laughter)" and so on. They didn't realize it was a real emergency until it was too late. :smith:

aghastly posted:

The most unnerving thing about the Titanic to me is that, nearly a century later, we didn't learn our lesson and the Costa Concordia was destroyed by the same drat thing: both ships had her hulls sliced open by an immovable object, resulting in massive flooding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_concordia#2012_grounding_and_partial_sinking

From what I've read, a double hull would have helped slowed, if not stopped, a fatal amount of flooding on the Costa Concordia, but cruise ships generally don't utilize them in favor of more possible cargo weight. I'm probably wrong on that, though, I'm not a shipbuilding expert.

The idea that a sheet of steel is the only thing keeping water out on even modern ships, and that they are still incredibly susceptible to being torn open despite the fact that we have 100 years of advancements in shipbuilding, is unsettling to me.

If God had wanted man to float...
...He would have given him ballast tanks, Mr. Goon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

aghastly posted:

The most unnerving thing about the Titanic to me is that, nearly a century later, we didn't learn our lesson and the Costa Concordia was destroyed by the same drat thing: both ships had her hulls sliced open by an immovable object, resulting in massive flooding.

The Titanic hit an iceberg, they aren't immovable. If anything the Concordia's initial incident was ever dumber than the Titanic's. It's completely ridiculous to say that we haven't learned our lesson; the sinking of the Titanic resulted in a casualty rated of 68%; Costa Concordia was 0.75%. It's not any more acceptable, but it's not remotely comparable.

It's like saying plane crashes haven't changed in a hundred years because planes still die from hitting the ground.

aghastly posted:

From what I've read, a double hull would have helped slowed, if not stopped, a fatal amount of flooding on the Costa Concordia, but cruise ships generally don't utilize them in favor of more possible cargo weight. I'm probably wrong on that, though, I'm not a shipbuilding expert.

A double hull would have helped to an extent, but that kind of whack (Remember, the ship was sliced open over about 60 meters) would have still caused an extreme list. You want your double bottom compartment split port and starboard for stability reasons, so one side's tanks would have flooded and leaned the ship way the hell over. Whether that would have kept the generators out of the water, considering how massive the hull damage was... The rock could very well have punched through both hulls, and the shock could have very well hosed up the structure.

Cruise ships don't carry cargo (Most of their deadweight is fresh water and fuel), and some of them are pretty much double hulled already; you stick the fuel and water in the double hull. Concordia had a double bottom, it just ended a coupe of meters too low.

At the end of the day, you don't build ships to withstand running aground at high speed, you hire a guy to drive it who's not going to run it aground at high speed. That's where the failure point was with Concordia, not in the ship's construction; nobody assumed anyone would ever be dumb enough to drive a ship into a rock outcropping at high speed.

aghastly posted:

The idea that a sheet of steel is the only thing keeping water out on even modern ships, and that they are still incredibly susceptible to being torn open despite the fact that we have 100 years of advancements in shipbuilding, is unsettling to me.

Yeah I can't believe people entrust their lives to inch-thick steel plates that can't withstand an impact between 70 000 metric tons of ship going 15 knots and a rock, either.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If God had wanted man to float...

People float, though.

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Aug 9, 2014

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
The company FilmRise has just bought out the rights to a bunch of episodes of Forensic Files, which is an American documentary true crime show that airs on HLN/CNN all the time. However, they never seem to show the interesting, non-psycho-killer, non-:barf: ones from the earlier seasons. Here are some of the unnerving ones.

Also, the episode titles are just criminally bad.

Famous/Historical Cases:

Unholy Vows: the story of Valerian Trifa, the archbishop who lived in the US as a religious leader in Grand Rapids, Michigan for years. Forensic evidence arises that he was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Jews during the Holocaust... (Wikipedia page is here as well)

Bitter Brew: The story of the kidnapping/murder of Adolph Coors, chairman of Coors Brewery, something I hadn't known about before.

The Day the Music Died: Sad story of the murder of Mia Zapata, lead singer of the Gits. I just think it's crazy that they managed to eventually find their guy even though he was states away years afterwards. Forensic evidence was the only possible way they could figure it out.

Terrorism:

They had a good episode about the Rajneeshee salmonella outbreak but unfortunately I can't find it online.

Brotherhoods: The murder of a prominent gay couple in a Northern California neighborhood links to other hate crimes in the area. Police find two seemingly innocent young brothers are guilty of the crime and deep in fundamentalist Christian, white surpremacist ideology.

Line of Fire: One of the five domestic terrorist attacks in the US in 1996. The story of the Phineas Priesthood and the way the group terrorized the Pacific Northwest this year. I find this unnerving because of how possible it is for groups in the US to do something like this again.

Identity Theft/Insurance Fraud:

If I Were You...: Just an utterly bizarre case. A schoolteacher, Paul Gruber inherits some money and retires in Idaho. His bills are being paid, but uncharacteristically, he stops contacting his family and only sends postcards in handwriting that doesn't look like his. One of those cases of identity theft that seems too implausible to be real.

Grave Danger: A child molester dies in a mysterious car crash three days before he is meant to serve time for his crime. A man who looks exactly like him turns up a month after his funeral. Whose body was in the car that burned and fell into the river?

A Squire's Riches: The case of Ari Squire. "The truck fell off of the hydraulic jack, crushed the man working beneath it, and sparked a fire or so it seemed. Investigators turned to forensic science to determine if they were dealing with a tragic accident or a carefully orchestrated murder." A really brazen crime, and the unnerving thing is the interview with the man who was the intended target of the scam.

Absolutely Batshit Crazy Cases:

Dirty Little Seacret: Couple goes missing on vacation. The apprehension of a Hooters robbery helps find out why they're missing, but the reason why is pretty drat terrifying...

Hear No Evil: Really brutal, bizarre case of sexual orientation confusion in the deaf community of South Dakota.

And here's one with a happy ending:

Outbreak: A mysterious outbreak of Thyrotoxicosis in one small community makes authorities question how it is being transmitted. No one dies, and regulations are put in place for meat production to prevent it from happening again. Yay!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Forensic Files is on Netflix. 40 episodes or so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

aghastly posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_concordia#2012_grounding_and_partial_sinking

Actually the root cause of both these ships sinking was the total and complete hubris of their crews. A ship is not designed to crash into an object at speed and survive - the ship is designed to be able to avoid obstacles with things like radar, sonar, depth sounders, charts, people looking out the windows, and so on.
All of that counts for jack loving poo poo if you're enough of a goddamned moron to go flying into a rock at 15 knots. Nothing is gonna save you then, and I mean nothing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of maritime disasters, the MS Estonia was one of the worst ones of the 20th century. In September of 1994, 852 people died when it sank due to the bow doors being ripped off in rough seas so the ship effectively opened its mouth and gulped a fuckload of water into the car deck.

That whole bit at the front got sheared off and the ramp to the car deck dropped down afterwards. Seeing as how the ship was still in motion during all this you can get an idea how much water she took on in a matter of seconds. The whole ship then tilted hard to starboard (which wasn't helped much by poor cargo distribution to begin with) before sinking.

A whole lot of :tinfoil: surrounds the sinking with people claiming that it was deliberate sabotage with explosive bolts and what have you because the ship was (wasn't) carrying military cargo or some such. The gravesite is also often visited by divers and looters and some people want the whole place to be sealed in concrete and others want the whole thing to be scoured for more evidence and the remains of victims to be brought back for proper burials.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, Estonia was basically a maelstrom of fuckupedness.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's a hell of a lot scarier than the thought that steel isn't impregnable, that's for sure.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Floyd Collins reminded me of another scary underground/underwater story: David Shaw and the body of Deon Dreyer. Deon died in 1994 while diving in Bushman's Hole, a very very deep (927 feet)freshwater cave. His body wasn't recovered and the cave became his grave, with his parents placing a plaque memorializing him at the surface. It was assumed that because the cave was so deep and dangerous that his body would never be recovered.

In 2005, another diver, David Shaw, saw a body at 886 feet down (only seven other people had ever dived this deep). It was Deon Dreyer, and Shaw decided to return and recover his body so his parents could bury him properly. This was not a great idea, because deep water cave diving is really, really dangerous at the best of times.

quote:

Aside from the dangers of getting trapped or lost, breathing deep-dive gas mixes—usually a combination of helium, nitrogen, and oxygen known as trimix—at extreme underwater pressure can kill you in any number of ways. For example, at depth, oxygen can become toxic, and nitrogen acts like a narcotic—the deeper you go, the stupider you get. Divers compare narcosis to drinking martinis on an empty stomach, and, depending on the gas mix you're using, at 800-plus feet you can feel like you've downed at least four or five of them all at once. Helium is no better; it can send you into nervous, twitching fits. Then, if you don't breathe slowly and deeply, carbon dioxide can build up in your lungs and you'll black out. And if you ascend too quickly, all the nitrogen and helium that has been forced into your tissues under pressure can fizz into tiny bubbles, causing a condition known as the bends, which can result in severe pain, paralysis, and death. To try to avoid getting the bends, extreme divers spend hours on ascent, sitting at targeted depths for carefully calculated periods of decompression to allow the gases to flush safely from their bodies. As divers say, if you do the depth, you do the time.

But Shaw was an experienced diver and one of those guys who was always in search of a new extreme. He designed a body bag that would fit Deon's skeletonized body and all his dive gear, and set up a massive recovery effort that included 9 divers and 35 backup gas cylinders. It was the most complicated deep dive ever attempted.

11 minutes after Shaw started diving, he reached Deon's body and started putting the body bag around it. Two minutes after that, his dive partner saw that Shaw wasn't moving and no bubbles were coming from his dive gear. Something went wrong, and he was dead. The recovery effort was aborted and changed to a rescue mission to get all the support divers out safely, and it was assumed that Shaw would join Deon in his watery grave.

The next day, though, the team returning to the cave to clear up all the remaining dive equipment realized that Shaw had indeed managed to free Deon's body, because they had floated up from the depths of the cave together. Deon's body had been mummified in the deep, cold water and was still the same size and shape it had been when he was alive. It was returned to his parents, just as Shaw had wanted.

This picture was taken right before Shaw (left) started diving. It's the last picture of him alive, although his last moments were recorded by a camera on his helmet (which is apparently on Youtube, but I didn't care to watch).

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This picture was taken right before Shaw (left) started diving. It's the last picture of him alive, although his last moments were recorded by a camera on his helmet (which is apparently on Youtube, but I didn't care to watch).

I took one for the team. The video is not gruesome or scary, except maybe when you see the face of the corpse he was trying to recover. If you didn't know how it ended, and if there wasn't a narrator, you wouldn't realize anything bad was happening. The video of Yuri Lipski dying in the Blue Hole is much more distressing.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's a pretty good Rescue 911 episode where 3 inexperienced divers get trapped in an underwater cave and an experienced cave diver just happens to be at a nearby picnic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkALlYZYfrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDL-rSAD3A

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

FrozenVent posted:

People float, though.

We all float.

Down here.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I wonder if narcosis is one of the fun things about deep diving. A pretty extreme buzz

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

angelfisher posted:

Dirty Little Seacret: Couple goes missing on vacation. The apprehension of a Hooters robbery helps find out why they're missing, but the reason why is pretty drat terrifying...

What's the reason why?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

What's the reason why?
Watch the episode, it just gets crazier and crazier as it goes on.

But if you don't want to, a psychotic young couple takes them to their apartment, murders them for fun, chops them up and tosses the body parts in a dumpster. The couple wears their rings and identity cards as trophies and the crazy lady gets a snake tattoo in the spot where she stabbed the woman. The part that grossed me out the most was when the crazy dude sits in a hot tub with the severed heads of the murdered couple. Ugh.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Aug 9, 2014

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Edward Mordake

quote:

One of the weirdest as well as most melancholy stories of human deformity is that of Edward Mordake, said to have been heir to one of the noblest peerages in England. He never claimed the title, however, and committed suicide in his twenty-third year. He lived in complete seclusion, refusing the visits even of the members of his own family. He was a young man of fine attainments, a profound scholar, and a musician of rare ability. His figure was remarkable for its grace, and his face — that is to say, his natural face — was that of an Antinous. But upon the back of his head was another face, that of a beautiful girl, 'lovely as a dream, hideous as a devil'. The female face was a mere mask, 'occupying only a small portion of the posterior part of the skull, yet exhibiting every sign of intelligence, of a malignant sort, however'. It would be been seen to smile and sneer while Mordake was weeping. The eyes would follow the movements of the spectator, and the lips 'would gibber without ceasing'. No voice was audible, but Mordake avers that he was kept from his rest at night by the hateful whispers of his 'devil twin', as he called it, 'which never sleeps, but talks to me forever of such things as they only speak of in Hell. No imagination can conceive the dreadful temptations it sets before me. For some unforgiven wickedness of my forefathers I am knit to this fiend — for a fiend it surely is. I beg and beseech you to crush it out of human semblance, even if I die for it.' Such were the words of the hapless Mordake to Manvers and Treadwell, his physicians. In spite of careful watching, he managed to procure poison, whereof he died, leaving a letter requesting that the 'demon face' might be destroyed before his burial, 'lest it continues its dreadful whisperings in my grave.' At his own request he was interred in a waste place, without stone or legend to mark his grave.

Tom Waits - Poor Edward

Which made me think of another story,

Sawney Bean

quote:

According to The Newgate Calendar, Alexander Bean was born in East Lothian during the 1500s. His father was a ditch digger and hedge trimmer, and Bean tried to take up the family trade but quickly realised that he had little taste for honest labour.

He left home with a vicious woman who apparently shared his inclinations. The couple ended up at a coastal cave in Bennane Head between Girvan and Ballantrae where they lived undiscovered for some twenty-five years. The cave was 200 yards deep and during high tide the entrance was blocked by water.

The couple eventually produced eight sons, six daughters, eighteen grandsons and fourteen granddaughters. Various children and grandchildren were products of incest. Lacking the inclination for regular labour, the clan thrived by laying careful ambushes at night to rob and murder individuals or small groups. The bodies were brought back to the cave where they were dismembered and cannibalised. Leftovers were pickled, and discarded body parts would sometimes wash up on nearby beaches.

quote:

With the Beans' existence finally revealed, it was not long before King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) heard of the atrocities and decided to lead a manhunt with a team of 400 men and several bloodhounds. They soon found the Beans' previously overlooked cave in Bennane Head. The cave was scattered with human remains, having been the scene of many murders and cannibalistic acts.

The clan was captured alive and taken in chains to the Tolbooth Jail in Edinburgh, then transferred to Leith or Glasgow where they were promptly executed without trial; the men had their genitalia cut off, hands and feet severed and were allowed to bleed to death; the women and children, after watching the men die, were burned alive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why wouldn't he just try to kill it? I know that a barber-surgeon amputation isn't probably a very attractive option, but if you think there is a loving evil devil on your head whispering to you the terrible secrets of the universe what do you really have to lose by sleeping on your back one night and smothering the fucker?

Actually, I don't think there's any way you could share your head with another face without it having to be connected to your lungs and having a big lump of brain for it to think its malign thoughts, or at least breathe.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Why wouldn't he just try to kill it? I know that a barber-surgeon amputation isn't probably a very attractive option, but if you think there is a loving evil devil on your head whispering to you the terrible secrets of the universe what do you really have to lose by sleeping on your back one night and smothering the fucker?

Actually, I don't think there's any way you could share your head with another face without it having to be connected to your lungs and having a big lump of brain for it to think its malign thoughts, or at least breathe.

:ssh:It's just a story, Poor Edward never lived in the real world.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not scary but certainly weird.

Forget Crystal Pepsi, it's all about White Coke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Coke

quote:

White Coke is a moniker for a variant of Coca-Cola produced in the 1940s at the request of Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov. Coca-Cola was presented to Zhukov by the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe, Dwight D. Eisenhower—himself a particular fan of Coca-Cola.[1] Zhukov liked it and asked for its color to resemble vodka so that he would not be seen drinking Coca-Cola in public,[2] as it was regarded in the Soviet Union as a symbol of American imperialism.[3]

Marshal Zhukov placed the request with General Mark W. Clark, commander of the US sector of Allied-occupied Austria, who passed the request on to President Harry S. Truman. President Truman in turn contacted James Farley, chairman of the Board of the Coca-Cola Export Corporation—at the time busy establishing thirty-eight Coca-Cola plants in Southeast Europe, including Austria. Farley tasked Miladin Zarubica—a technical supervisor for The Coca-Cola Company, a son of a Yugoslav immigrant and a wartime PT boat commander, sent to Austria in 1946 to supervise establishment of a large bottling plant—with fulfilling Marshal Zhukov's request. Zarubica found a chemist who could remove the coloring from the beverage, thereby granting Marshal Zhukov's wish. The colorless version of Coca-Cola was bottled using straight, clear glass bottles sporting a white cap with a red star in the middle.[4][5] The bottle and the cap were produced by the Crown Cork and Seal Company in Brussels. The first shipment of White Coke consisted of 50 cases.[3][6]

:911: wins again.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
Anyone remember the Jamison family, a husband and wife who disappeared with their six year old daughter whilst inspecting remote property in 2009? I only recently heard of the McStay family's remains being discovered so I decided to see if any updates had been made to the Jamison story, as I learned of both cases at the same time during the last iteration of this thread.

Turns out skeletal remains were found in November of last year in woods about three miles from their abandoned car. Last month it was announced they had been positively identified as those of the Jamisons. A sad and somewhat frustrating conclusion to the story as no cause of death could be determined and there is very little in the way of clues to explain what happened (investigators theorise the family simply got lost and died of exposure).

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

"Skeletal" is a word that I do not want to appear in my obituary.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RevSyd posted:

"Skeletal" is a word that I do not want to appear in my obituary.

"Here lies RevSyd, he crushed the skeletal legions under his feet when they emerged from their hellportal to steal all our smokin' alien babes."

:colbert:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Junius posted:

Anyone remember the Jamison family, a husband and wife who disappeared with their six year old daughter whilst inspecting remote property in 2009? I

Reminds me of the Death Valley German tourist case.
http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Interesting read as well.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Junius posted:

Anyone remember the Jamison family, a husband and wife who disappeared with their six year old daughter whilst inspecting remote property in 2009? I only recently heard of the McStay family's remains being discovered so I decided to see if any updates had been made to the Jamison story, as I learned of both cases at the same time during the last iteration of this thread.

Turns out skeletal remains were found in November of last year in woods about three miles from their abandoned car. Last month it was announced they had been positively identified as those of the Jamisons. A sad and somewhat frustrating conclusion to the story as no cause of death could be determined and there is very little in the way of clues to explain what happened (investigators theorise the family simply got lost and died of exposure).

Is it really possible to get that lost looking for a house?

Especially when you've got a child with you?, you'd think having a kid with you would remind you to keep note of your route so far and would stop you wandering for longer than a half hour.

Where they unable to get phone reception or did they just walk off without even taking their phones?

Edit: just read the wiki link again and they left their phones in the car.
Honestly I find it hard to swallow that they just wandered so far they got lost in the first place and then just wandered in circles till they died a few miles away.

Maybe they are that daft but it feels like there must be more to it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Aug 11, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Is it really possible to get that lost looking for a house?

Especially when you've got a child with you?, you'd think having a kid with you would remind you to keep note of your route so far and would stop you wandering for longer than a half hour.

Where they unable to get phone reception or did they just walk off without even taking their phones?

Edit: just read the wiki link again and they left their phones in the car.
Honestly I find it hard to swallow that they just wandered so far they got lost in the first place and then just wandered in circles till they died a few miles away.

Maybe they are that daft but it feels like there must be more to it.

Death by getting lost is a pretty legitimate way to die, especially if you aren't aware it is.

Aren't people even hardwired to walk in circles? I swear I remember hearing about some behaviorist testing that by blindfolding people and telling them to walk straight across a field, which turns out is almost impossible without being able to visually pick a point to walk towards.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It does feel like an evolutionary trait formed probably ages ago when humans, particularly children, wandered off out of the cave or abode in the dark and wound up more or less back to where they started and hence, didn't die out in the wilderness and were able to pass on the trait to future generations.

Not always 100% accurate obviously and can even work against you in certain scenarios if you're lost and trying to move forward but wind up going in circles.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

It does feel like an evolutionary trait formed probably ages ago when humans, particularly children, wandered off out of the cave or abode in the dark and wound up more or less back to where they started and hence, didn't die out in the wilderness and were able to pass on the trait to future generations.

I doubt that really requires a specific trait. If you let go of the steering wheel of a car, it won't keep going in a straight line for miles, even if the wheels were just balanced.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thats why picking a feature and walking towards it is important to keep going in one direction. Dead reckoning. Live it, love it. Won't always save you, but if you wanna go one direction for a long way, it will certainly help.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nckdictator posted:

That sounds like the plot of a Billy Wilder movie.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

BioMe posted:

Death by getting lost is a pretty legitimate way to die, especially if you aren't aware it is.

Aren't people even hardwired to walk in circles? I swear I remember hearing about some behaviorist testing that by blindfolding people and telling them to walk straight across a field, which turns out is almost impossible without being able to visually pick a point to walk towards.

Yea it's perfectly possible to get hopelessly lost and die but they weren't heading off into the deep wilderness on a hike etc, they were meant to be checking out a property which I presume was near were they parked (although I've not seen anything confirming that.)and like I said it strikes me as unusual that they would have walked for long enough to get lost.

The whole thing seems to me like it must have been a family suicide of some sort. There's money troubles,the whole weird demons/ghosts in the house thing(which may be bullshit.) and honestly it's pretty odd to just pull your kid out of school and go looking for a plot of land to move to without any prep work or real research before.

I'm just saying that them wandering off and getting lost seems a pretty odd explanation in this case.

Edit: Also just read this

quote:

At their home, investigators found a shipping container that had bizarre messages scrawled across it, including '3 cats killed to date buy people in this area … Witches don’t like there black cat killed' (sic).

After watching a video it seems that they'd spent some time on the lot so it's not like they hadn't set foot in the area, so it seem's even odder that hey would just wander off into the woods.
Their whole moving plan seems to really ill thought out and Sherilynn seems to be all over place even ignoring the witchcraft poo poo and the possible drug use she seems to have been acting like she was having a breakdown or at least a really bad time with her bipolar.

The whole case is pretty crazy. Theres possible meth addiction, possible mental illness, the whole ghosts/demons in the house, a mysterious handy man that lived with them.

Then there's also a crazy backwoods sheriff throwing out random theories all over the place like "Mexican mafia" or "a daily meth habit" which theres no proof of.
Pretty weird and quite sad whatever did happen to them.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Aug 11, 2014

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

After watching a video it seems that they'd spent some time on the lot so it's not like they hadn't set foot in the area, so it seem's even odder that hey would just wander off into the woods.
Their whole moving plan seems to really ill thought out and Sherilynn seems to be all over place even ignoring the witchcraft poo poo and the possible drug use she seems to have been acting like she was having a breakdown or at least a really bad time with her bipolar.

[x] Redneck names "Bobby Dale" "Sherilynn Leighann" and "Madyson Stormy Star"
[x] Residents of Oklahoma
[x] Possible drug abuse
[x] Possible mental disorders
[x] Implied lack of education

As a Missouri native I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. It's amazing some old acquaintances of mine can even scrap together a weenie roast.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

That sounds like the plot of a Billy Wilder movie.
So does the stuff about Floyd Collins stuck in the cave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_in_the_Hole_(film)

Billy Wilder liked his poo poo ripped from the headlines I guess

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Phyzzle posted:

Reminds me of the Death Valley German tourist case.
http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Interesting read as well.

I read this in the last thread too and was thinking of posting it again in this thread. Though it's a fantastic read, I had a really hard time getting through it without getting upset as I kept imagining myself in the place of the parents, the realisation slowly dawning that I had almost definitely sentenced my kids to death :-(

And, for some reason, the fact there was never any conclusive evidence of the kids' remains (and what little evidence there was being found so far from their parents' remains) just breaks my heart. I've seen some awful poo poo on the internet but anything to do with kids really gets to me.

Knifey McSpoon
Mar 3, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

:911: wins again.

What's unnerving is the capitalists getting a grip on the freshly conquered markets before the dust had barely settled. "Enjoy Coke while you bury your dead and rebuild your cities!"

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera

Hey wasn't this in Oregon Trail

quote:

The primary symptoms of cholera are profuse diarrhea and vomiting of clear fluid. These symptoms usually start suddenly, half a day to five days after ingestion of the bacteria. The diarrhea is frequently described as "rice water" in nature and may have a fishy odor. An untreated person with cholera may produce 10 to 20 litres (3 to 5 US gal) of diarrhea a day. Severe cholera kills about half of affected individuals. Estimates of the ratio of asymptomatic to symptomatic infections have ranged from 3 to 100. Cholera has been nicknamed the "blue death" because a person's skin may turn bluish-gray from extreme loss of fluids.

If the severe diarrhea is not treated, it can result in life-threatening dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Fever is rare and should raise suspicion for secondary infection. Patients can be lethargic, and might have sunken eyes, dry mouth, cold clammy skin, decreased skin turgor, or wrinkled hands and feet. Kussmaul breathing, a deep and labored breathing pattern, can occur because of acidosis from stool bicarbonate losses and lactic acidosis associated with poor perfusion. Blood pressure drops due to dehydration, peripheral pulse is rapid and thready, and urine output decreases with time. Muscle cramping and weakness, altered consciousness, seizures, or even coma due to electrolyte losses and ion shifts are common, especially in children.

A picture of "rice water" diarrhea (probably not NMS but you never know)

Oh :stonklol:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Jesus, thanks for spoilering that. Even though of course I looked at it anyway.

Christman Genipperteinga was a mythical but incredibly brutal serial killing robber from late 1500s Germany. The wiki article is really fantastically written and presents the story very clearly before diving into a lot of fascinating accounts of similarities between various figures mentioned throughout literature of the time.

quote:

Sex slave

Shortly after he took up residence at Frassberg, Christman met an intended victim, the young daughter of a cooper in Popert. She was traveling to Trier to meet her brother. Struck by her beauty, however, he changed his mind and ordered her under death threats to come and live with him. He made her swear she would never betray him, and for the next 7 years, she served his sexual wants. Whenever he went out to find new victims, he bound her with a chain so that she could not escape. He fathered 6 children with her but at birth he killed them, pressing in their necks (original: "hat er den Kindern das Genick eingedrückt").

Christman used to hang up their bodies, and stretched them out (orig: "aufgehängt und ausgedehnt"). As the wind made the little corpses move, he said:

"Tanzt liebe Kindlein tanzt, Gnipperteinga euer Vater macht euch den Tanz"

("Dance dear, little child, dance! Gnipperteinga your father has made the dance for you!")

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I've been reading through the crimelibrary site recently, and came across Jesse Harding Pomeroy. His wiki page is a bit sparse, so I recommend reading the crimelibrary article instead.

The tl;dr version is that Pomeroy at age 12 kidnaps and viciously beats a number of young boys before being caught and sent to juvie. He gets released early, and at age 14, kills two kids (one of whom is a four-year-old) before being caught and then spends the rest of his life in jail, most of it in solitary confinement.

The creepiest part of his story is how young he was when he committed his crimes, and that he never showed any remorse for what he did. The word sociopath is way over-used nowadays, but he may very well have genuinely been one.

On a less depressing note, one of the weirdest scams I've come across was with Mary Toft. She managed to fool several doctors into believing that she had given birth to rabbits. This being the 1700s, she got away with it for a while. Also really kind of gross, as she was sticking dead animal parts into her uterus and vagina.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Just finished reading the thread, worthy successor to the old Bizarre, Unsolved Mysteries, which was where I first lurked before I joined.
For content I was going to mention the MS Estonia - I was on that ship (or a sister one) a couple of years before the accident, so the idea of it creeps me out. So, sorry, no content yet....
...except to say that people interested in the John Franklin expedition disaster (a search for the Northwest Passage that failed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition) can get/make book recommendations at a thread on the Book Barn forum here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655083 The thread is for all polar expedition literature, so plenty of freaky mysteries covered there.

Okay, content: Depression-era America, promising young artist who has spent years trekking the American wilderness in search of inspiration heads into the badlands of Utah....and disappears. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everett_Ruess
Not fantastically mysterious as the options are threefold (excluding the possibility he faked it all and lived out his days under a pseudonym): 1) death by accident, 2) death by Indian/robber, 3) suicide. Anyway, unsolved still.

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Here's one I stumbled on earlier today that I don't recall being mentioned in the thread: The Valentich Disappearance.

quote:

Valentich radioed Melbourne Flight Service at 7:06 PM to report an unidentified aircraft was following him at 4,500 feet and was told there was no known traffic at that level. Valentich said he could see a large unknown aircraft which appeared to be illuminated by four bright landing lights. He was unable to confirm its type, but said it had passed about 1,000 feet (300 m) overhead and was moving at high speed. Valentich then reported that the aircraft was approaching him from the east and said the other pilot might be purposely toying with him. Valentich said the aircraft was "orbiting" above him and that it had a shiny metal surface and a green light on it. Valentich reported that he was experiencing engine problems. Asked to identify the aircraft, Valentich radioed, "It isn't an aircraft" when his transmission was interrupted by unidentified noise described as being "metallic, scraping sounds" before all contact was lost.

It's possible that he either faked his own disappearance, or crashed from pilot error, but is still rather unnerving.