Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Nah this is way safer. Much, much better brakes, suspension, it's even lighter and more fuel efficient!"

*goes from a zrx1200 to a zx10*

Likewise my mate who convinced his missus that a 250cc two stroke race rep was a way safer proposition than an SV650 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I dropped my bike last week after being up for 64 out of 72 hours due to the worst move ever. I was walking it backwards out if a parking spot and I just fell over on it. Nothing was damaged, DRZ yo, but it still was terribly embarrassing even though it was 4 in the morning and no one saw it.

Sunter
Jul 10, 2005
lurker
Finally have my m1 and still looking at naked standards. I've found a decent 2009 ER-6N, is it a solid bike or does it lack anything in comparison to older sv650's / gladius / fz06? Doesn't seem to have a ton of character though, not sure if I'll get bored of it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have noticeably less power than an SV and are theoretically less fun engine-wise because p-twins suck balls or whatever, but they're perfectly reliable and AFAIK handle a bit better stock for stock compared to an SV. Just a good ordinary bike.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
What's the opinion on Super Sherpas? As compared to a DRZ-400S?

When it's time to replace my Chinese Enduro, I'd like to get something that's still a dual sport but I don't want a hambeast like a KLR or a BMW. I'd like it light enough that I can still toss it around easily, but capable enough to do stints on the highway at about 110km/hr.

The DRZ seems most capable on-road, but the Sherpa is nice and light and small. Is it going to be a disaster on the highway for a few hours?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Monstrously underpowered compared to even a DRZ and with tiny brakes. I imagine the stability (or lack thereof) is bloody terrifying at highway speeds, but I've never ridden one so could be wrong. I don't really think they're two bikes you can directly compare, beyond price-wise. Unless the dollar difference is enormous I'd just get a DRZ. Chive and others have highlighted how the engine can suffer from extended highway use; extrapolate that to an air cooled 250cc single and you're going to have a bad time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DrakeriderCa posted:

When it's time to replace my Chinese Enduro, I'd like to get something that's still a dual sport but I don't want a hambeast like a KLR or a BMW.

*Ahem* Hambeasts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_G650X_series
(they weigh within ~5 lbs or so of a DRZ-400)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I like those, but they only have a 10 liter gas tank? Good luck going anywhere interesting without an extra fuel tank. Having to start looking for the next gas station every 120km is not my kind of fun.

edit: huh, the DRZ-400 also is 10L? How the hell do you use those for any kind of longer travels?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 6, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Supradog posted:

I like those, but they only have a 10 liter gas tank? Good luck going anywhere interesting without an extra fuel tank. Having to start looking for the next gas station every 120km is not my kind of fun.

edit: huh, the DRZ-400 also is 10L? How the hell do you use those for any kind of longer travels?

None of them are really made for cruisin' superslab...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

None of them are really made for cruisin' superslab...

Yeah, who the gently caress buys a trail bike/supermoto and thinks "Cool, time to get some serious touring done!"?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Well I have a bit of a commute but I also wanted to learn on a supermoto...

Supradog posted:

You buy the 3.7 gallon tank and throw it on.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I should be more clear about my intended use. For the most part, this bike would be used for commuting (very little highway), local "adventure rides" that involve some dirt track and some highway there and back, and maybe occasional longer trips to the coast or up to Alaska. Probably no more than 24 hours total travel time at the most.

Now that I think about it, the Sherpa probably won't do it. I was intrigued by them after seeing a trip log on ADV by a couple who did a huge multi continent trip on Sherpas. But the DRZ is probably the minimum I'd want for what I'll be doing.

HotCanadianChick posted:

*Ahem* Hambeasts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_G650X_series
(they weigh within ~5 lbs or so of a DRZ-400)

Haha, I should have been more fair to BMW. Those X bikes are gorgeous but out of my price range and extremely rare in Canada. The GS bikes that are more available are what I'm thinking about.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I was more just halfway annoyed about it on my own behalf. You have some really nice valleys and mountain passes with awesome twisties and/or gravel here in norway, perfect for supermoto fun or dual-sports. But, some are kinda unpopulated so if you want to do fun routes a little more tank space by default had made them so much better.

They are pretty rare here too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DrakeriderCa posted:

I should be more clear about my intended use. For the most part, this bike would be used for commuting (very little highway), local "adventure rides" that involve some dirt track and some highway there and back, and maybe occasional longer trips to the coast or up to Alaska. Probably no more than 24 hours total travel time at the most.

Now that I think about it, the Sherpa probably won't do it. I was intrigued by them after seeing a trip log on ADV by a couple who did a huge multi continent trip on Sherpas. But the DRZ is probably the minimum I'd want for what I'll be doing.

Haha, I should have been more fair to BMW. Those X bikes are gorgeous but out of my price range and extremely rare in Canada. The GS bikes that are more available are what I'm thinking about.

I would buy a Super Sherpa for dedicated dirt / snow riding. It's surprisingly tiny. It's also probably built with stone-age technology, which is why it makes sense for multi-continent touring.

You can get an aftermarket tank for a DRZ that makes it more touring-ready.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think there's a couple options for auxiliary tanks that sit opposite the exhaust pipe, like this http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=3

And there's this thing that adds 4.2 gallons to the original 2.4 gallon tank http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2073/PN-049-0130/Plus-4-2g-tank-for-G650X-Challenge-same-as-049-0131-except-TUV-approved

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Everyone that I know who has ridden any major length in a somewhat remote area on an enduro (or any bike with limited legs for that matter) has a jerry can strapped to the the bike anyhow.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Saw this beauty on Craigslist and want to know what I'm missing because this seems t be way underpriced: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4610786589.html

tjones
May 13, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Saw this beauty on Craigslist and want to know what I'm missing because this seems t be way underpriced: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4610786589.html

May just be the over abundance of 15k dollar Harleys and 6-9k dollar supersports, but that is in the lower range of the asking price for most newer 250-300 cc standards here.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tjones posted:

May just be the over abundance of 15k dollar Harleys and 6-9k dollar supersports, but that is in the lower range of the asking price for most newer 250-300 cc standards here.

That particular model goes for ~$4.5k brand new and it's less than a year old with <1k miles. Seems like he could be asking for a lot more than he is

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure it actually sells for 4.5k or that's just what people list them for? I'm seeing a lot of ~3k prices for the CBR 250, although none are the Repsol edition.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm looking at the sticker price because it's so close to being a new bike. 250rs seem to be going for 3.2-3.7k on craigslist for older bikes with more miles. Plus they aren't Repsol which tacks another ~$500 onto the sticker.

Just looks like a good deal, I guess :shrug:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Necc0 posted:

The CBR250rs just lost a fair bit of value because of the new CBR300 which is basically better in every way.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There's also non-trivial odds that any Repsol you see is wearing fake Chinese plastics and a spray-can wheeljob

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Barnsy posted:

The CBR250rs just lost a fair bit of value because of the new CBR300 which is basically better in every way.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy new, but the dealers here are wanting around 5400 out the door which is hard to justify when I keep seeing new, low miled 250r's coming up for 2500 on craigslist.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

After completing the various assessments this summer, I've got my full UK motorcycle licence. :)

Time to save for a bike and gear before next summer. No idea how to go about choosing a bike or setting a budget. I want to ride for fun after work / at weekends, and go touring around the country / Europe during my holidays, so I'm thinking a standard bike will do the job. Any suggestions based on the UK second hand market?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

the nicker posted:

This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy new, but the dealers here are wanting around 5400 out the door which is hard to justify when I keep seeing new, low miled 250r's coming up for 2500 on craigslist.

Go for a used one with low kms. The dealers have the cost price that they can't really go below, even though the real value of the bike is a lot less than that.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Barnsy posted:

Go for a used one with low kms. The dealers have the cost price that they can't really go below, even though the real value of the bike is a lot less than that.

Yeah that's what I meant, "like-new used ones with low miles" is what I should have said. I've seen them with less than 1k miles selling for ~$2800 on craigslist, seems like a really good deal.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So hey I'm gonna be joining the military in November and by the time I'm done with training I'm gonna have ~6 months of pay saved up. Figured I'd buy my first ~new bike~ between February-April of next year.

I was wondering if I could get any opinions on good/bad buys for bikes in the 7-9k range.

Riding history:

2001 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883
2005 Suzuki SV650S
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado

On year 3 of my riding experience.

I like both sports and cruisers, and whatever I get is probably going to be my primary mode of transportation when I'm going around base/off base. It's a hard decision for me to go for sport or cruiser since I love the tight control I get with sport bikes but the comfort of cruisers is nothing to scoff at especially for a primary ride, so really suggestions on both fronts would be totally accepted.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Midsized standard
QED

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Budget 3K for another one of the above or a nice Shadow ACE/Aero/Spirit with craftsmanship and manners. They're boring, but unkillable. Leave the remaining 5-6k in the bank. You'll walk tall and have peace of mind on those long rides, where anything can happen.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Marv Hushman posted:

Budget 3K for another one of the above or a nice Shadow ACE/Aero/Spirit with craftsmanship and manners. They're boring, but unkillable. Leave the remaining 5-6k in the bank. You'll walk tall and have peace of mind on those long rides, where anything can happen.

Yesss listen to this man. Your future dependapotamus will thank you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

You are seriously like some sort of mystic shaman of motorbikes, I swear to god.

I'm not being facetious, it really is blowing my mind.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Marv Hushman posted:

For Shadows, what should I be looking for in mileage? As in, what would you consider "too much" for a Shadow worth 3k or so. I'm unfamiliar with Honda's cruiser offerings as none of my riding buddies own 'em so I've never worked on one.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ArbitraryTA posted:

For Shadows, what should I be looking for in mileage? As in, what would you consider "too much" for a Shadow worth 3k or so. I'm unfamiliar with Honda's cruiser offerings as none of my riding buddies own 'em so I've never worked on one.

There are a few market forces at work here. First, mid-life crisis, pre-bubble bikes are now Oi, my lower back bikes. There are loads of them. Think of it more as a custodian interview process--you're searching for Alfred, who has looked after your BatCycle while you've been off learning forbidden martial arts. Mileage isn't the main consideration, but most have accumulated less than 10K. Bone stock machines are plentiful and preferable. Most are 750s, but some late 90s bikes were 1100s.

The ACE is nice because the pillion seat can be ditched in a minute and it looks gorgeous in solo mode. The value of this can't be overstated. With other makes, you can quickly wind up with a collection of $eats, all of which will suck and be relegated to CL where you'll pray for 50 cents on the dollar. It will also come with spokes fore and aft--swapping the cast rear wheel on an HD is a $500 proposition.

Second, having been in your position once, being cut off from capitalism and consumer spending for several months can result in bad, impulsive choices when you return to the "world." No need to zap the account to impress anyone. Also, you will have the additional concern of returning to base on a given date/time. poo poo happens on the road, and we're talking about institutions not known for flexibility and common sense. Cash will get you out of almost any jam.

Lastly, thank you for your service.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Alright, and I know I probably won't go for another V-Star because while I like the shaft drive design, it's definitely not the most well made machine, but what about other metric cruisers like the Vulcans or Boulevards? I'm just trying to keep my options open so that I can go into the used market of the area I end up in with as much knowledge as I can, since my experience with cruisers is limited to being the wrench for my friends Harleys and working on my V-Star.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My experiences with both my Vulcan and Vstar says the Vulcans are made about as well. Cheap switch gear, lots of plastic, OEM zip-ties, dealer support that says "huh, weird, never seen that" when there's a problem.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
A couple questions about the Suzuki TU250x: first, any general impressions? Superficially, it satisfies my boner for retro bikes and is also made by a quality company. I've got some experience riding but am still generally a novice, so the engine size is probably a good fit (plus it'll save me a bundle on insurance). One concern I do have however is the physical size of the bike - I'm tallish and kinda fat (6'1" 230), so I'd rather not chase after a bike that'll feel too small.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sit on one. I think they're cool enough. My personal impression is that they're a little smallish for me (5'10") but I'd get one to commute on if I had the cash and space for yet another rinky-dink little bike.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
If the TU250x doesn't work out for you, it shouldn't be too hard to find an older Sportster for a reasonable price. My first bike was a Sportster and that 883 is not at all a threatening displacement trust me. I don't normally suggest Harleys but the EVO engine makes them pretty solid little scooters.

Edit: Also I'm in my early 20s and insurance on the Sporty was ~80-100 bucks a month? Not bad in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

MCPeePants posted:

A couple questions about the Suzuki TU250x: first, any general impressions? Superficially, it satisfies my boner for retro bikes and is also made by a quality company. I've got some experience riding but am still generally a novice, so the engine size is probably a good fit (plus it'll save me a bundle on insurance). One concern I do have however is the physical size of the bike - I'm tallish and kinda fat (6'1" 230), so I'd rather not chase after a bike that'll feel too small.

I'm 5'11" and fat at 235 pounds. I can get the TU250X up to about 60 MPH on a straight run at a fairly small track. I've put a ton of time on one, not sure on the Mileage because I was using it as an MSF bike (I was the instructor). It's a bit raspy and certainly doesn't feel "quick" by any stretch. It's light, it's nimble, takes a beating like a champ, went 3 year with basically no maintenance, and the clutch never gave out. Other than where a student dumped it at about 15 MPH and scratched the crap out of the tank, it still looked great too. It's very neutral, from the seating position to where the controls are placed. The steering is also fairly quick without being top heavy or alarming in any way. I usually described it as the bland rubber stamp "bike".

Here's the "track" I taught at. A police evoc training course. The back straight I think was a little over 2/5ths of a mile.

Another thing to add, after the third or fourth lap of that little track the brakes were overheated and didn't work worth a drat. Great in town bike in the stock setup, but you would need to do something about the brakes if you wanted to use it in the twisties in any meaningful way.

(gently caress I can't spell today)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 11, 2014