Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neongrey posted:

I'm doing it because it seemed like a nice thing to do for a cause that can deffo use it.

you misunderstand me. i'm talking about the people answering zak's questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Also straight up he's gonna say that the fact that none of his naysayers took him up on his offer is proof that they don't care as much about charity as they say, and therefore he's right because ???

Nah, he's gonna say

quote:

If you would rather just call me names, donate money yourself and then go about your business, that's fine, too--someone has been helped by this gesture and that's what's important.

Because he did say that, but so what? Money is going to a good place, nobody has to engage with anyone they don't want to engage with, and I call that a win.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tollymain posted:

you misunderstand me. i'm talking about the people answering zak's questions

Oh, yeah, I think they're mostly doing it to see if he'll do it at all. Not bloody likely though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Of course he takes ownership of other people's charity and claims credit for it.

In which case, let's be perfectly clear Zak, because we know you'll read this: gently caress you and your poo poo. You own nothing.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Some day he'll learn that there's a difference between 'because of' and 'in spite of'.

Maybe.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Yay, Second Skins! Also, Space Wurm vs the Moonicorn looks rad a hell.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

:allears:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The count stands at $501.80+whatever Saguaro gave, if anyone's curious. e: Counted him.

Swagger Dagger posted:

No idea, sorry. :( If I had to guess I'd say yes, but Avery's going through a lot of poo poo and it's hard enough to get stuff out to backers at the moment.

Ah, alright. Thanks!

Tulul fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 11, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really do wish i could take part in this :(

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Tulul posted:

The count stands at $501.80+whatever Saguaro gave, if anyone's curious.

Saguaro gave a screenshot of the email receipt: $10.25. However, even with that my count is $476.90. I guess I probably missed one.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I'm relieved that RPG fans will donate independent of what garbage nonsense other RPG fans will spread around. We always chip in on bundles of holding and drivethru charity drives, now a "save face from people acting exactly like Donald Trump" charity drive? I'm so in. I normally give locally but will switch over briefly for this effort.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Traditional Games > The August Personage of Elminster Chat: Goons Are Generous, News At 11

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If this is a bandwagon, I'm on it.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

inklesspen posted:

Saguaro gave a screenshot of the email receipt: $10.25. However, even with that my count is $476.90. I guess I probably missed one.

51.25+10.25+51.25+102.50+11+50+15.37+51.25+10.25+10.25+10.25+30+52.53+25+10.25+10.50+41+10.25+10.25+77+20.50+51.25+50+50+100+51.25+20.50+50+50=:siren:$1083.90:siren:. Dunno!

e: Might as well keep this updated.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 11, 2014

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
So I wasn't around when the thread started. I, like the other Elminster av guy, like the Forgotten Realms quite a bit. I haven't actually run into The Realms Fan (tm) as a problem when I run my games, nor do I really read the novels (fantasy novels are boring, read good novels instead okay?) I think the thing I like most about FR (and Greyhawk actually) is they really tie in closely to "the D&D experience" - journeys to weird places, tons of dungeons, and so on, and it adds in something few other settings do: a core reason to be an adventurer.

In Greyhawk maybe you become an adventurer because you were a soldier and now you want to seek your fortune, or you're a wizard and you want to find a magic scroll of whatever. Or maybe not, there's no real adventuring motivation built into Greyhawk. But in the Forgotten Realms, you become an adventurer in hopes of becoming rich and famous and getting to bang divine beings and become literally the most important person in the world. Once you look at FR adventuring as being the faux-medieval version of reality TV, Elminster, the other high level NPCs, and the way the world is constructed makes perfect sense. Of course the world is insanely huge, that's because you need to go far away enough from home that you can exaggerate your exploits when you return and not be easily disproved, and also because once you become famous in one area, but blow through all your money buying drugs and having parties, you need to go to some other distant area and become famous there too. Not only should DMs permit "special snowflake" characters like Drizzt at the table, they should send you back to the drawing board until you come up with one.

Like reality TV, it can be played straight or for laughs - most of the time the modules play it straight, but there are times when it's definitely for laughs.

Anyway, FR is good, play more D&D in the Forgotten Realms. What's Planescape for anyway?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Am sure I met Zak S's ridiculous "conditions," so figured I'd just save us both some headache and take care of the donation myself.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

So this means I can call Zak names right? I believe I will star with "douche-nozzle".

So I'm sure he'll try to twist this into him being the hero who is responsible for our donations but whatever.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well, this is gonna be a thing on the 17th or so when I get paid, right ?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mllaneza posted:

It's always a good time to donate.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm in for $20 but I'm phone-posting. I'll try to remember to post a screenshot later.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

mllaneza posted:

Always be donating. Hell, donate to people who aren't the Trevor Project! Amnesty International Doctors Without Borders! The Red Crescent! Other cool orgs!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"LGBT" groups that actually have trans people on their boards!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

So this means I can call Zak names right? I believe I will star with "douche-nozzle".

So I'm sure he'll try to twist this into him being the hero who is responsible for our donations but whatever.

I think you get seven names for that.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004
I guess if people are keeping a tally I may as well post this

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

"LGBT" groups that actually have trans people on their boards!

Have any names handy? Always nice to have more people to donate to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hey Zak, my biggest regret during the time I spent moderating RPGnet is that Ettin is the one who got to permaban you instead of me so I feel your Ettin-related pain brother.

You're still a complete rear end in a top hat though.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Some day he'll learn that there's a difference between 'because of' and 'in spite of'.

Maybe.
Ettin unbanned him (apparently) and I don't see him posting any proof that he donated anything to anyone.

Just sayin'.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Ettin unbanned him (apparently) and I don't see him posting any proof that he donated anything to anyone.

Just sayin'.

Is there a particular reason to think Ettin was doing anything other than joking? :confused:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

neongrey posted:

Is there a particular reason to think Ettin was doing anything other than joking? :confused:
A man can dream, okay

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tollymain posted:

Goons Are Generous, News At 11

Zakmouth, eat the eggs.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Froghammer posted:

A man can dream, okay

I dream about winning the lottery sometimes. You should have good dreams instead.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DalaranJ posted:

Zakmouth, eat the eggs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

seebs posted:

The primary audience for the apology is the person it's an apology to, and thanks to the magic of mutual friends, that's already taken care of.

I am way late here, but I have actually not yet sent the person in question your apology; I was not able to send it earlier due to being busy, and after finishing what I was busy with I've come back to find some interesting things. Now I think the only reason I'd send it to her now is so that she could laugh at it.

You sent that apology around the same time as you made another huge post, yet again defending Zak, which is now being used by Zak himself to justify his harassment and general shittiness, and is being used as the header to his ridiculous charity stunt. Clearly, you do not mean the apology; if you did, you would perhaps stop doing the things that necessitate it in a first place or created the situation that you are allegedly so worried about in your apology, or at least have taken down the post in question so that you weren't directly helping Zak after all the things he's done to the person you're apologizing to, but you aren't and have not, so it is nothing but words. Your behavior in this topic is only more proof that your apology was, at best, an attempt to assuage some guilt on your part and not a thing that was genuine.

Sending this apology to the person it was intended for would be doing you a favor. After seeing what you've done in the meantime, I am not doing poo poo for you.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Nonpologies are one of the most obnoxious modern trends.

Actually a non-pology would make a great charm power in an RPG.
When cast, the PC can avoid the consequences of one act, as long as they quasi-apologize for it in suitably entertaining fashion.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

"Look, I'm sorry you're feeling impaled by my sword right now, but I was just waving it in front of me. If someone got hurt they should have been watching where they were going."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I guess now, in this time of Ettinmod, thread titles are as clay.

Anyway:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What's with the flurry of donations?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Zak Smith offered to give :10bux: to charity for every person that tells him that he actually did nothing wrong and that they are dumb, so instead people are giving money to a charity to spite him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically zak s is a loving idiot and also a donald trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Forums Terrorist posted:

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Zak Smith offered to give :10bux: to charity for every person that tells him that he actually did nothing wrong and that they are dumb, so instead people are giving money to a charity to spite him.

No no don't to be so unfair. He just wants to reach out, to understand:

quote:

"Here's the game--I ask you a question about things you did or said to create this controversy. You answer the question clearly. Each straight answer you give I donate 10 US dollars to the charity of your choice."

See? He just wants to ask when you stopped beating your wife! So that we can clear up this whole misunderstanding. About your wife-beating.

• Locked thread