Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'd go to one for sure, I need a break from managers telling me sob stories about how times are tough for business and shops are shutting "left and right"

*walked past 50 or so shops to hand my resume to you dude, what the gently caress are you rambling about*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'd go to one too. Also Anidav, I'll let you know next time my work is recruiting. It's casual/no guaranteed hours (I've been working 10+ hours every weekend recently though. Dat Sunday rate) but it's also cruisy and most of my coworkers are uni students so they're used to dealing with changing availability. I've worked there for 3.5 years with no issues except for wanting more hours, and dealing with a sometimes belligerent public. You don't have to sell anything, it's pure customer service.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maybe when you finish your degree you will know how to advertise yourself better to employers?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I'd go to one for sure, I need a break from managers telling me sob stories about how times are tough for business and shops are shutting "left and right"

*walked past 50 or so shops to hand my resume to you dude, what the gently caress are you rambling about*

To be fair, it is pretty hard for a lot of businesses these days. Consumer confidence is at an all time low (I wonder why!), rent prices for shops keep going up in the inner Bris metro area and the over all environment for small business is pretty poor lately.

If you're ever around the Mater hospital, check out the stretch of storefronts along Vulture St there. They're pretty much empty with a few exceptions, and I'm seeing a lot like that around Brisbane lately. Unless, of course, you're a big chain. Then you give no fucks.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Also posting as in for the pro goon meet crowd.

Now working for state government so i uh don't recall.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

A year and a half or so, Advertising major :L

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
AusPol: Planting Seeds.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

nogthree posted:

Also posting as in for the pro goon meet crowd.

Now working for state government so i uh don't recall.

state gov workers represent.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kommando posted:

I think its time for another brisgoon meet at the Stokehouse.

yes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also Southbank corp is kicking out a shitload of businesses from Southbank for no apparent reason so yeah, I'd agree that business is rather odd in QLD atm. However, gently caress youth unemployment up the rear end. Since when is being young a toxic addition to the workplace. Shelfpacking jobs should be jumping for joy at all these young back bones yet to be ruined. But nah big biz would rather import labour and turn to channel 10 news and spout bullshit about a "skills shortage"

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BevChain at Hendra need picker packers.
http://www.actionworkforce.com.au/
general office stuff
http://www.kellyservices.com.au/au/auHome/

Council and others do free resume services, you might want to get it checked out by a professional or get the idiots guide to resumes from the library. No joke, its a good book to get all the big and small mistakes removed from your resume.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lizard Combatant posted:

Auspol Collective Suicide Farm.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

BTW Roy Morgan is back out to 56% ALP on 2PP - +1.5 from last poll.

Can't even turn a national tragedy into a poll bounce mister speaker.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

Having seen my fair share of resumes I half agree. If you're a design major or working in the "marketing field" I would object to a half-assed resume made from a standard word processor.

If it's for a technical field a word document is fine though, because you're going to be looking for substance moreover than style.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Kommando posted:

I think its time for another brisgoon meet at the Stokehouse.

I'm all for a goonmeet, but perhaps at a place which doesn't have 24 dollar entrees.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
My resume is apparently grouse (source: people who interview me and then don't give me a job) and it's just a word document with a nice font and layout (saved as a PDF obvs because gently caress people who send .docx files)

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Hell, you can get it as part of Creative Cloud for $20 a month.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
In other news, Alex Douglas has quit the PUP.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-11/palmer-united-party-queensland-leader-alex-douglas-quits/5662862

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

xutech posted:

I'm all for a goonmeet, but perhaps at a place which doesn't have 24 dollar entrees.

As a uni student, I fully agree with this statement.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

My resume is apparently grouse (source: people who interview me and then don't give me a job) and it's just a word document with a nice font and layout (saved as a PDF obvs because gently caress people who send .docx files)

Don't .docx me, bro.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ha, that article reminded me that Bob Katter exists. Ever thought about what it would be like if he became PM? Hilarious.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

poo poo, even word docs are out with you job creators?

brb writing up a HTML5 website with a video in Silverlight saying how great I am.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
gently caress it, just write out your entire resume by hand. It'll make you stand out, or something!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cleretic posted:

gently caress it, just write out your entire resume by hand. It'll make you stand out, or something!

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Cleretic posted:

My girlfriend actually had to do this last week, and it was a requirement (working for the Austrian courts in Vienna). Still trying to understand why they would require it.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Here's a devious idea: Walk into a bunch of bottleshops and offer the employee working there (if it's not the owner) to hand their resume around and get them a different job.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Ha, that article reminded me that Bob Katter exists. Ever thought about what it would be like if he became PM? Hilarious.

We had Joh. Imagine the Tonton Macute post stroke.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Direct job creator to a cave where you have wall painted your resume then proceed to do interpretative dance and pray it rains jobs.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

xutech posted:

Me too, would be neat to put faces to posts. I am a filthy poor too, maybe we should have our own prole goonmeet at central Hungry Jack's

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anidav posted:

Direct job creator to a cave where you have wall painted your resume then proceed to do interpretative dance and pray it rains jobs.

Still better for finding jobs than searching Seek.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seek is the worst website ever and I've never actually known a person who has found a job there.

Also that loving website has been putting up mere "expression of interest" for months. Why the gently caress do you care to add an extra step to applying for a waitstaff job, jesus why.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Cut the letters out of magazines.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How creative! You're hired!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lizard Combatant posted:

Tony's Green Army

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anidav posted:

Seek is the worst website ever and I've never actually known a person who has found a job there.

Also that loving website has been putting up mere "expression of interest" for months. Why the gently caress do you care to add an extra step to applying for a waitstaff job, jesus why.

I've gotten a single interview from combing Seek, and it was for a data entry job advertised by a recruitment agency, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.

Thing is, since I don't have any contacts, and I'm not exactly in a field that works for just walking in with my resume (writing with a focus on editing, but really I'll just take loving anything that's mostly computer at this point), I don't really have any other way to do things.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

How creative! You're hired!

:stare:

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I've gotten a single interview from combing Seek, and it was for a data entry job advertised by a recruitment agency, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.

Thing is, since I don't have any contacts, and I'm not exactly in a field that works for just walking in with my resume (writing with a focus on editing, but really I'll just take loving anything that's mostly computer at this point), I don't really have any other way to do things.

Back when I worked for the Man, I came by all of my (four or five, IT related) jobs through Seek. That said, this was four or so years ago, and every job acquired via Seek turned out to be make-work on behalf of embezzling scum, so do with that information what you will.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whoah, where are all these Brisgoons coming from? I'm always down for another goonmeet around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tirade posted:

The Greens ran a really solid campaign for the second senate seat in the ACT. Although much of their success was due to Simon Sheik's name recognition and ACT liberal voter distaste for Zed Seselja and how he rolled Humphries, a lot of it was due to the serious IT support the campaign had. As an example, door-knocking volunteers recorded the reception they got at each individual house from 1 to 5 which influenced whether they'd get a follow-up, and tried to tease out what issues they were most concerned about, which fed into what type of mailouts they'd receive later in the campaign. A lot of it was due to the Greens taking notes of Obama's ground game in 2012 which had a similar level of IT-enabled electioneering.

Just to go back here, but the Greens really did quite poorly at this election, mostly coming off the back of their earlier significant results in (I think?) 2010. It wouldn't surprise me if the Greens were more innovative in their campaign strategy or that it won't have delayed benefits once the data has been refined or whatever, just that they did not do significantly well that election.

• Locked thread