Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
One thing to note is despite complaints along the lines of "this game has Mario in it that means it's the same as every other Mario game!" from people who don't actually play those games, Nintendo actually does keep trying new things while also trying to appeal to their existing fanbase. That's why I'm glad we get multiple series like NSMB, Galaxy and 3D Land/World, because despite them all being Mario platformers they're all different kinds of Mario platformers.

This applies to the RPGs as well. Super Mario RPG was a traditional turn-based RPG from Square, and the first two Paper Mario games added unique mechanics and gameplay to the traditional RPG style. The GBA/DS RPGs Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story (guy who hasn't played this one: it's the best one from this series, play it now), and Dream Team were similar where they established their own unique takes on a turn-based RPG.

The black sheep of Mario RPGs, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, both tried to diverge from the turn-based RPG style while still obstinately carrying the Paper Mario name. Super Paper Mario is more of a platformer / RPG hybrid, and Sticker Star is more like an Adventure Game with RPG elements (like other people pointed out in the thread). I still think they're both fine games and I'd definitely encourage people to play through them once, but it's understandable that they didn't meet people's expectations for games in the genre. It's like if you were expecting Super Mario Bros. 3 and got Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) - it doesn't mean Super Mario Bros. 2 is bad, but it's not what you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, please, not the Secret levels again! I'll be good, I promise! :shepicide:

The secret levels were easily my favorite Mario experience of all time and I would absolutely love to have an entire game of it

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

signalnoise posted:

The secret levels were easily my favorite Mario experience of all time and I would absolutely love to have an entire game of it

You got it, it's called Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CatsPajamas posted:

The black sheep of Mario RPGs, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, both tried to diverge from the turn-based RPG style while still obstinately carrying the Paper Mario name. Super Paper Mario is more of a platformer / RPG hybrid, and Sticker Star is more like an Adventure Game with RPG elements (like other people pointed out in the thread). I still think they're both fine games and I'd definitely encourage people to play through them once, but it's understandable that they didn't meet people's expectations for games in the genre. It's like if you were expecting Super Mario Bros. 3 and got Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) - it doesn't mean Super Mario Bros. 2 is bad, but it's not what you wanted.

I'm glad they've decided to make the Paper Mario series more of their weird experimental series much like how Kirby games get the occasional weird title. Even if they aren't as good as I think they could've been due to some expectation of the series needing RPG elements, at least they're trying new things with it. It probably didn't help that having both the Paper Mario AND Mario & Luigi sub-series as RPGs didn't make too much sense.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Probe 17 posted:

No, but you see, back in MIYAMOTO'S DAY you didn't NEED any gol-durn story! There was just a princess and some big monster and by gosh you needed to kill it! None-a this "interesting backstory" stuff you see in today's video games!

As a reminder, Miyamoto literally told them to ignore the story in Super Mario Galaxy 2 because he wanted it to be like old Mario games. That still bothers me.

lol what's it like to never see a vagina?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

He gets melted pretty brutally and turned into a :krad: skeleton in New Super Mario Bros. Bowser Jr. revives him as Dry Bowser before he gets revived fully by Kamek at the end.

This is a big part of why I liked NSMB so much. It was so refreshing that Bowser actually died horribly in the lava and you fought his skeleton.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

The black sheep of Mario RPGs, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, both tried to diverge from the turn-based RPG style while still obstinately carrying the Paper Mario name. Super Paper Mario is more of a platformer / RPG hybrid,

The problem with Super Paper Mario is that it had the platforming of an RPG and the combat of a platformer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tender Bender posted:

The problem with Super Paper Mario is that it had the platforming of an RPG and the combat of a platformer.

I thought the problem was the game was basically the whole General White quest from TTYD on loop forever.

Hold right to walk through blank screens for about 5/10 minutes

Run on this wheel for like 10 minutes

Get some paper and write down this code then once input come back and enter this second longer code

etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I thought the problem was the game was basically the whole General White quest from TTYD on loop forever.

Hold right to walk through blank screens for about 5/10 minutes

Get some paper and write down this code then once input come back and enter this second longer code

etc.

Those moments were a lot fewer and further between than people remember but the game itself was still a stiff and comatose-easy platformer and RPG with a plot that eventually started taking itself way too seriously for its own good. The collectathon bullshit didn't start to get really outrageous until the Underwhere/Overthere segments, and by that point the game had used up every trick it had, so it got tiresome fast.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like Super Paper Mario. It's got some ridiculously stupid decisions, but the plot is actually good and the environments and music are great. Also it's as funny as any other Mario RPG. Personally I'd rank it something like

TTYD
Superstar Saga
Paper Mario
MarioRPG
Bowsers Inside Story
Super Paper Mario

Partners in Time

Sticker Star

I think PiT and SS are legitimately bad games, but I'd recommend any of the first 6.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You barely need to run on the wheel, if you run on it to earn all your rupees or whatever, you did it wrong.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Getting the 10k rubies required for getting the safe combination takes roughly six minutes of wheel.

I mean sure, you can look the combination up on Gamefaqs or whatever, but that's certainly not the intended method.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Getting the 10k rubies required for getting the safe combination takes roughly six minutes of wheel.

I mean sure, you can look the combination up on Gamefaqs or whatever, but that's certainly not the intended method.

The Wheel was literally just the worst. "Hey, you know what gamers really want? Running with the occasional jump just so they don't tape the right button down."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I didn't like having to basically get a walkthrough every time you wanted to go a new world because the only hint they gave you for the location of each heart pillar thing is "hey you have a new partner/power so go use it everywhere until you find the one obscure corner that we wanted you to find"

I enjoyed the game overall though

Mushroomfarmer
Jul 14, 2007

So Target has a reserve a game get $15 off a 39.99 game deal going this week for Wii U. Seems like a really good time to pick up any games your missing. I had them price match Super Mario 3Dworld with amazon, reserved Smash Bros and used my $25 gift card for getting the wii u and SM3DW came to 10 bucks.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U soon and it would be my first console in several years. If I'm trying to be smart about spending money on games, what's the best route? I'd love to be able to rent because it seems like a good way to keep from spending more than necessary - is Gamefly good? Any suggestions appreciated.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

mamelon posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U soon and it would be my first console in several years. If I'm trying to be smart about spending money on games, what's the best route? I'd love to be able to rent because it seems like a good way to keep from spending more than necessary - is Gamefly good? Any suggestions appreciated.
Some games have demos on the eShop. Gamefly wasn't really worth it for me but you could always try their free month trial to see if it makes sense for you. For best value wait for the Toys R Us/Target buy x get 1 free sales or the 20% off eShop cards sales if you want to go digital.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I just got a wii u last night and despite having to sit through the initial update it's a nice console. Kinda wish I could still redeem the free game with Mario Kart or whatever it was.

Are wii u's region free though? It's still kinda cheaper to just buy from amazon.

Also is Shovel Knight still not released in Australia?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Not Eek posted:

I just got a wii u last night and despite having to sit through the initial update it's a nice console. Kinda wish I could still redeem the free game with Mario Kart or whatever it was.

Are wii u's region free though? It's still kinda cheaper to just buy from amazon.

Also is Shovel Knight still not released in Australia?

No, yes, and no, respectively.

It might be released by Christmas? We don't know, unfortunately. Anyway, welcome to Wii U ownership! You have made a good choice.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

No, yes, and no, respectively.

It might be released by Christmas? We don't know, unfortunately. Anyway, welcome to Wii U ownership! You have made a good choice.

That's mad disappointing considering my other console is a PS3. At least the pricing isn't as bad as it was a few years ago where a new game could be as much as $110 and a game from another country was $65.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Thanks. That sounds like it'd be alright since I don't mind waiting. I'm also not against used games from Craigslist.

I realized that with a few exceptions over the years, I don't replay a lot of games and the $60 pricetag is feeling pretty wacky as a result.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

mamelon posted:

Thanks. That sounds like it'd be alright since I don't mind waiting. I'm also not against used games from Craigslist.

I realized that with a few exceptions over the years, I don't replay a lot of games and the $60 pricetag is feeling pretty wacky as a result.

Depending on what kind of games you're interesting in, you might not have to spend $60. ZombiU and Wonderful 101 are both awesome, and it seems like they're around $20-$30 most places. Digital games like NES Remix 1 & 2, Guacamelee and Shovel Knight are all awesome. Take advantage of the deluxe promotion if you got a black Wii U.

It's a shame the Mario Kart 8 promotion ended because that was really awesome. Do you think there's any chance of Nintendo doing something similar for other big releases, like Hyrule Warriors or Smash 4?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CatsPajamas posted:

Depending on what kind of games you're interesting in, you might not have to spend $60. ZombiU and Wonderful 101 are both awesome, and it seems like they're around $20-$30 most places. Digital games like NES Remix 1 & 2, Guacamelee and Shovel Knight are all awesome. Take advantage of the deluxe promotion if you got a black Wii U.

It's a shame the Mario Kart 8 promotion ended because that was really awesome. Do you think there's any chance of Nintendo doing something similar for other big releases, like Hyrule Warriors or Smash 4?

Well, Bayonetta 2 you get a free download of Bayonetta 1 if you register it in time.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Silver Falcon posted:

Mario Sunshine was a great game.

Leagues better than Mario 64, for sure. Not as good as the Galaxy games, but honestly the Galaxy games are so close to perfection.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's put out a lot of conflicting info on the Bayo 1/2 thing but I'm pretty sure it's not a limited-time deal or anything - if you buy Bayo 2, you'll get Bayo 1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's put out a lot of conflicting info on the Bayo 1/2 thing but I'm pretty sure it's not a limited-time deal or anything - if you buy Bayo 2, you'll get Bayo 1.

I thought Bayo 1 was on the disc?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Separate disc/download.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is how it's going to work.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
At this point I don't believe anything until they explain it themselves on their own website or a Nintendo Direct.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah, that implies that on the eshop the combined price of 1 and 2 will be equal to the physical box price (likely $60). That would mean that the eshop price for just 2 could be $10 or $20 cheaper for anyone who already owns/has played/doesn't care about the original, which doesn't seem likely.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah, that implies that on the eshop the combined price of 1 and 2 will be equal to the physical box price (likely $60). That would mean that the eshop price for just 2 could be $10 or $20 cheaper for anyone who already owns/has played/doesn't care about the original, which doesn't seem likely.

What's more likely is the double-pack will cost $90 or something, but again, they've backpedalled and contradicted themselves on this whole thing a few times now so who knows.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

kalonZombie posted:

Leagues better than Mario 64, for sure. Not as good as the Galaxy games, but honestly the Galaxy games are so close to perfection.

I was just replacing my old copy of Galaxy, and decided to read the reviews on amazon. They are mostly positive obviously, but some of the 1 star ratings really made me sad that some people have no idea what a good game actually is

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JakeP posted:

gently caress

You can use your Club Nintendo points to download Super Mario Brothers 2 or Kid Icarus to put yourself the edge.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nintendoland doesn't come with new deluxe consoles right? so why do I have 50 rewards points for playing it when I don't seem to own it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ethanol posted:

nintendoland doesn't come with new deluxe consoles right? so why do I have 50 rewards points for playing it when I don't seem to own it?

It comes with refurbished ones. I don't even know if they're actually refurbished as opposed to Nintendo discontinuing standard consoles and needing to offload the remaining stock.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Their system already supports various promotions like "If you own this game, you get this game cheaper." So they could have it just give you the first game at a -100% sale price if you own the second.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fremry posted:

You can use your Club Nintendo points to download Super Mario Brothers 2 or Kid Icarus to put yourself the edge.

I just did that with SMB2 to get there

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JakeP posted:

I just did that with SMB2 to get there

You still have until the end of the year, but I hear it.

Also:

Hyrule Warriors is going to have a Club Nintendo free DLC offer 9/26 - 10/23. Free Ganondorf costume DLC if you register the game on Club Nintendo between those dates.

Edit: Specifically, it's two costumes. One from Ocarina of Time and one from Twilight Princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

gently caress

Holy crap, I didn't know about this until now. Had to do a google search and turns out I have over 1000 points.

Why doesn't Nintendo integrate this stuff into the store?

• Locked thread