Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Drifter posted:

Only the highest uncompressed audio files in our new videogame generation.

Didn't the new Wolfenstein snag that prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

I'd go with Lance Streetmans (and others') recommendation, definitely play Dead Space if you haven't, I enjoyed it immensely.

EDIT: I'm late, you've already started on it. Great!

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 11, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lordfrikk posted:

Didn't the new Wolfenstein snag that prize?
It was Titanfall with a 48 GB install 35 GB of which was uncompressed audio.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sober posted:

30GB used to be a fuckton a few years ago. Hell, I even bought a disc-non-steam copy of Max Payne 3 back when it came out because gently caress waiting for 30 gigs to download.

Now 50+ GB I don't want to do. Goddamn it current gen why did you decided to catch up now?

I guess this is true if you live in a place with really slow internet or bandwidth caps. 30GB doesn't take much time to download even with my modest 15mbit connection.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I guess this is true if you live in a place with really slow internet or bandwidth caps. 30GB doesn't take much time to download even with my modest 15mbit connection.

I think most places not America have bandwidth caps, regardless of download speed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That was when I had a max 512kbps download speed on steam PLUS bandwidth caps (those can go to hell). gently caress Canadian telecoms

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

German internet is pretty much terrible so 50 GB is a bit much for me.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

It was Titanfall with a 48 GB install 35 GB of which was uncompressed audio.

If we're just going by ratio of gameplay to fluff, Metal Gear Rising takes the cake. 25 gigs, 23 of which are uncompressed video files. The entire game, sans cutscenes, is 2 gigs.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have the cheapest connection there is (because I don't pay for it so I aint picky. :v:) and its a simple DSL line, maxes at 2.2mb/sec but unlimited bandwith cap and like 8bucks a month so I don't care. :v:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
A friend of mine is pestering me to play Knights of the Old Republic 1 (okay, I'm curious myself), any essential mods I should add? I know I want a good resolution mod, if that's available, since the vanilla does not support 1920x1080.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Drifter posted:

I think most places not America have bandwidth caps, regardless of download speed.

As a Finn I legit didn't even realize bandwidth caps were a real thing until a few years ago, although they probably exist somewhere here as well.

It seems like such a dumb system, I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end that would be if you download anything at all with any regularity.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kanfy posted:

As a Finn I legit didn't even realize bandwidth caps were a real thing until a few years ago, although they probably exist somewhere here as well.

It seems like such a dumb system, I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end that would be if you download anything at all with any regularity.

Dumb system? When you have a monopoly it's an incredible revenue stream.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Downs Duck posted:

A friend of mine is pestering me to play Knights of the Old Republic 1 (okay, I'm curious myself), any essential mods I should add? I know I want a good resolution mod, if that's available, since the vanilla does not support 1920x1080.

Aside from any tweaks / fixes you need to get it working at the res you want, no, there's nothing essential for it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Apart from achievements, is there any difference between a no kill dishonoured playthrough and a low chaos (with deaths) one?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I haven't finished the game so I can't speak for the ending, but some of the dialogue changes if you don't kill anybody. For example: When the call for your arrest is broadcast over the loudspeaker, they say "the man who killed several guards" if you've killed anybody. If not, they just omit that part.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aside from any tweaks / fixes you need to get it working at the res you want, no, there's nothing essential for it.

Thanks. Found this, not sure if that's the best one/least hassle?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130329763

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MooCowlian posted:

Apart from achievements, is there any difference between a no kill dishonoured playthrough and a low chaos (with deaths) one?
There are some nuances in the low chaos ending depending if you killed some of the main targets or not but honestly it's fluff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MooCowlian posted:

No. Only major distinctions are low/high chaos, and whether you assassinate or disgrace some of the targets (and the latter just changes ambient dialogue).

Also that Low Chaos final mission DID suck, y'all were right. Okay, now time for Knife of Dunwall...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kanfy posted:

We never had caps where I live but every provider you could sign up with a few years back had bandwidth aggregation (not sure if that's the right term in English - basically a bunch of people shared bandwidth so if everyone went surfing in the evening your everyone's speed slowed to a crawl). Thank God it's in the past and in the little town where I live the Internet is very cheap, especially compared to some bigger cities (like the one where I go to university :negative:).

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 11, 2014

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Dumb system? When you have a monopoly it's an incredible revenue stream.

And making someone else incredible rich is exactly what I want as a customer!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I lived on 40GB a month, with an option each month to pay $30 to extend it to 80GB, until like a year and a half ago when the network finished being decoupled from the main telco and suddenly I'm now living with so much bandwidth I can almost stream television without worrying getting an email about reaching 80% of my limit - if I wanted to proxy into the States to get Netflix between now and when the satellite TV monopoly successfully finishes convincing the government that it's a breach of copyright rule and needs to be illegalised, that is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

What would you consider modern game mechanics for such a game? First person party combat itself feels a little antiquated but I'd be curious what people considered a modern take on it to look like. Wizardry 8 seems like the last attempt to update that game concept with some good ideas as all the Japanese games are happy to stay firmly in Wizardry 4 - 6 territory without many changes. A lot of people argue about free roam vs grid based but I don't think its that important. With all the mouse clicking you need to do you can't rely on mouselook so inevitably movement ends up a bit awkward either way. Grid movement frees up the mouse all the time more easily at least.

Wizardry 8 unfortunately doesn't have grid-based movement nor procedurally generated dungeons, and the interface from the late 90s has a bunch of iconography that's not so intuitive compared to what contemporary games can do with something as basic as mouse-over tooltips, but otherwise just the fact that it supports modern resolutions and makes use of most of that on-screen real estate is more what I envision.

If "turn-based Legend of Grimrock" is a bit vague, I guess I'm picturing something with simple mechanics and a clear UI and a dungeon generator like Dungeons of Dredmor, except with a party of 6 (that you can split between front-line and back-line!) and from a first-person perspective and with a serious fantasy theme.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Thanks. Found this, not sure if that's the best one/least hassle?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130329763

Turned out it wasn't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gives me all white environment/background, forcing me to restart KOTOR and that little program, and then readjust the resolution every time. I might just go with the vanilla resolution.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm missing out on a lot of newer games because my download speed lets me download a gig every hour to hour and a half. It sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice-Pick's having some fun with teasing the Pathologic remake. You get emails from a sick woman if you sign up for it, and there's a secret on the page (skull on the left) but nothing to enter for the prompt yet too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wizardry 8 unfortunately doesn't have grid-based movement nor procedurally generated dungeons, and the interface from the late 90s has a bunch of iconography that's not so intuitive compared to what contemporary games can do with something as basic as mouse-over tooltips, but otherwise just the fact that it supports modern resolutions and makes use of most of that on-screen real estate is more what I envision.

If "turn-based Legend of Grimrock" is a bit vague, I guess I'm picturing something with simple mechanics and a clear UI and a dungeon generator like Dungeons of Dredmor, except with a party of 6 (that you can split between front-line and back-line!) and from a first-person perspective and with a serious fantasy theme.

Grid-based movement is so loving dumb and awkward.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Ice-Pick's having some fun with teasing the Pathologic remake. You get emails from a sick woman if you sign up for it, and there's a secret on the page (skull on the left) but nothing to enter for the prompt yet too.

I'm really excited about this. Pathologic was a great game held back by technological limitations and a publisher-outsourced trainwreck of a translation. For a game that relies so heavily on text, that was just awful. Ice-Pick Lodge have got both of those issues worked out. The Void showed that they were capable of producing some gorgeous looking 3D environments, and they did the localization for that in-house, and it worked out great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dominic White posted:

I'm really excited about this. Pathologic was a great game held back by technological limitations and a publisher-outsourced trainwreck of a translation. For a game that relies so heavily on text, that was just awful. Ice-Pick Lodge have got both of those issues worked out. The Void showed that they were capable of producing some gorgeous looking 3D environments, and they did the localization for that in-house, and it worked out great.

Yeah, I've only read the LPs because of that so I'm really looking forward to this. I wasn't able to play The Void myself either though, but that's because I could never stop loving up the glyphs.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dominic White posted:

ToEE is very good now. It just took about a decade of fan-patching to get there.

There's also no reason not to get the 'new content' version of that mod, because almost all of it is post-story expansion content (a whole city of it, even), and doesn't mess with the core game at all.

Edit: Oh yeah, Keep On The Borderlands (a whole new ToEE campaign) was released while I was on vacation in America, too. That might be worth checking out.

I might have to pick this up. I remember liking the game when it first came out, despite it being so buggy and broken, so playing an actually good version of it now as a throwback might be kind of rad.

Plus I never finished my gimmick all-monk run.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 11, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

That's quite the news, thanks for the heads-up.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Can someone tell me, preferably from experience , how playable is the Tomb Raider remake on a mouse and keyboard ? Is gamepad essential ?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did the first 30 minutes or so with a keyboard just fine, but after that i switched to a gamepad and it felt more natural and was way more fun

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

admataY posted:

Can someone tell me, preferably from experience , how playable is the Tomb Raider remake on a mouse and keyboard ? Is gamepad essential ?

It's without a single problem.
I tried gamepad for a bit but it was awkward as hell.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
M&K is absolutely fine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Anybody heard anything about Risen 3? It's coming out tomorrow and I haven't heard anybody talk about it anywhere. It looks like it has potential and like it's trying very hard to be a good mix of modern and old school RPG, but who can say if it's going to be any good or not.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 11, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody heard anything about Risen 3? It's coming out tomorrow and I haven't heard anybody talk about it anywhere. It looks like it has potential and like it's trying very hard to be a good mix of modern and old school mechanics, but who can say if it's going to be any good or not.

There's some videos they've put out with a terrible streamer (whom I assume is a dev), check my thread history here. It seems like the RPG parts could be good and the combat is, well, WRPG combat. A few idiots including myself have nabbed it on the cheap and post here regularly so we'll let you know.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody heard anything about Risen 3? It's coming out tomorrow and I haven't heard anybody talk about it anywhere. It looks like it has potential and like it's trying very hard to be a good mix of modern and old school mechanics, but who can say if it's going to be any good or not.

Someone linked a stream a few pages earlier, combat looks boring as gently caress and the game in general doesn't seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, IMO.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

and the combat is, well, WRPG combat.

CIRCLE STRAFE

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

CIRCLE STRAFE

No no, dodge roll! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The fact that they pronounce piranha as pee-rawn-ya instead of purr-ah-na makes me sad. Get your poo poo together, guys. You're not fooling anybody. :mad:

• Locked thread