Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

I thought it was optional. Conventional materials -> Demonite -> Hell ore. The hammer/axe from meteor is handy, but if you're not going to go heavy in on magic you can ignore meteor for a while.
Yeah, you can skip Meteor. It makes some good (if slightly bugged) ammo, and the armor is okay if you wanna play around with the Space Gun. Aside from looking good on a mannequin and having the first two-in-one Axe + Hammer, though, it's completely optional, and not as strong as Demon/Crimson to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Meteor also makes what is still very nearly the best gun in the game, except for the fact that you'll never be able to keep it fed.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So what you're saying is I should play Tererria while I wait for Starbound to finish?

Edit: Starbound looks nicer than Tererria. Also the Tererria website looks like it's 10 years old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shnooks posted:

So what you're saying is I should play Tererria while I wait for Starbound to finish?

Edit: Starbound looks nicer than Tererria. Also the Tererria website looks like it's 10 years old.

You should do anything that isn't furiously f5ing their website and feeling rage well up inside you about them buying food or paying rent on their studio, while waiting for Starbound to finish.

Find something to do for a couple of months and check back in on things afterwards. I don't mean for this to seem mean-spirited or anything directed at you btw.

Edit: Well, it was released three years ago[rushed] and I don't think the website changed too much during that time. This is the one you're talking about right?

http://www.terraria.org/

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I resubbed to WoW to see if anything has changed in the last 3 years I've not been playing.

When I inevitably lose my job, girlfriend and gain 100lbs I'm going to sue chucklefish.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I like this game, it is fun, but for sure it isn't done. That's not a problem, I think most (reasonable) people knew what they were getting into with the Early Access. At this point I feel that while I got my money's worth out of the game (100+ hours) it's still not where I feel it should be, but again that's part of Early Access, so I'm fine with just not playing the game for a while until things improve. That's all cool, and I don't feel like I was cheated or anything crazy like that.

What does bother me is the lack of insight as to the process and plan regarding the game. It's cute that there are nightly builds out, but from the reactions here it sounds like most of the new content is kind of random and without any clear goal, and in fact some of it (dropping ore on death, the restrictions around mining) seem like completely retarded ideas that someone implemented out of bored. Having been a developer in the past, I know how it is tough to stay focused on a project, and how important it is to have clear goals and milestones to deliver against. Some of the half-baked "features" seem pointless or counter-productive, and make me wonder what exactly is the team working towards?

I guess it's just a general disappointment regarding the lack of clarity about where the game is headed, and it's really hard to voice any worries or question the team when both extremes of the pro/con chucklefish argument are ready to come out swinging. As an example, some pages ago someone asked about UI improvements, and one reply was "UI is so far down the list of importance that it's usually left till the end." Fair enough. So why does "ore drop on death" and "slowing pickaxe progress" trump UI changes? Features that would likely only apply to "hardcore" mode have such a small target audience, while UI changes affect everyone, so it seems like common-sense priorities are being completely ignored.

I still like the game and will wait for it to become the super-sandbox game of the future, I just wish I had some idea of what that game will look like.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Zereth posted:

... Can you use bars to repair? Because with ore dropping when you die and things like sand caverns collapsing and dropping you several hundred feet into lava sometimes you can't really avoid that.

So I just tested this because I couldn't remember. The bad news is no, you can't use bars to repair. The worse news is that bars also drop on death. :v: I think I didn't notice because I usually stash my bars immediately unless I'm using them, and the pop up only mentions ores.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So why do you drop ores/bars on death?
Because it isn't annoying enough that you have to set up a bunch of poo poo before you can even go out to explore in the first place, or what?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Dropping poo poo on death you are not always guaranteed that the stuff can be found again ever. Certainly is a nightly unstable build in what is a beta but if they can absolutely secure it, sure I could see it being implemented - in something between normal mode and hardcore mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Dropping poo poo on death you are not always guaranteed that the stuff can be found again ever. Certainly is a nightly unstable build in what is a beta but if they can absolutely secure it, sure I could see it being implemented - in something between normal mode and hardcore mode.
Given that you go back to your ship when you die, I'm not sure it's possible to recover at all in single player.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zereth posted:

Given that you go back to your ship when you die, I'm not sure it's possible to recover at all in single player.

I think they fixed that at one point (I might actually be thinking of Terraria), but if I have to run down a hole for ten minutes they are as good as lost anyway.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Any decent goon-made or goon-endorsed mod packs out for Starbound?

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

Koobze posted:

I like this game, it is fun, but for sure it isn't done. That's not a problem, I think most (reasonable) people knew what they were getting into with the Early Access. At this point I feel that while I got my money's worth out of the game (100+ hours) it's still not where I feel it should be, but again that's part of Early Access, so I'm fine with just not playing the game for a while until things improve. That's all cool, and I don't feel like I was cheated or anything crazy like that.

What does bother me is the lack of insight as to the process and plan regarding the game. It's cute that there are nightly builds out, but from the reactions here it sounds like most of the new content is kind of random and without any clear goal, and in fact some of it (dropping ore on death, the restrictions around mining) seem like completely retarded ideas that someone implemented out of bored. Having been a developer in the past, I know how it is tough to stay focused on a project, and how important it is to have clear goals and milestones to deliver against. Some of the half-baked "features" seem pointless or counter-productive, and make me wonder what exactly is the team working towards?

I guess it's just a general disappointment regarding the lack of clarity about where the game is headed, and it's really hard to voice any worries or question the team when both extremes of the pro/con chucklefish argument are ready to come out swinging. As an example, some pages ago someone asked about UI improvements, and one reply was "UI is so far down the list of importance that it's usually left till the end." Fair enough. So why does "ore drop on death" and "slowing pickaxe progress" trump UI changes? Features that would likely only apply to "hardcore" mode have such a small target audience, while UI changes affect everyone, so it seems like common-sense priorities are being completely ignored.

I still like the game and will wait for it to become the super-sandbox game of the future, I just wish I had some idea of what that game will look like.

Something like this would be good:

http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

... actually, we got the idea from the Starbound roadmap. :allears:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nvining posted:

Obligatory (since this is the starbound thread afterall) What?! A picture of a CAT?! Taking that picture is time you could have spent CODING!

Also: Cute cat :D

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

nvining posted:

I had totally forgotten about that page! Strange that it doesn't get bought up more in this kind of discussion. Its really nicely designed as well

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AceClown posted:

I resubbed to WoW to see if anything has changed in the last 3 years I've not been playing.

When I inevitably lose my job, girlfriend and gain 100lbs I'm going to sue chucklefish.
I'm pretty sure WoW isn't an alpha

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm pretty sure WoW isn't an alpha

After they made raiding for casuals there's nothing alpha about it at all. :smuggo:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

I think they fixed that at one point (I might actually be thinking of Terraria), but if I have to run down a hole for ten minutes they are as good as lost anyway.
I know it used to be that if you didn't get to dropped items right away they vanished. I think if you actually leave the planet they vanish anyway, though.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Zereth posted:

I know it used to be that if you didn't get to dropped items right away they vanished. I think if you actually leave the planet they vanish anyway, though.

Implementing a map system would also make recovery a lot less awful, as it did in Terraria.

Cheswick
Sep 7, 2005

Zereth posted:

This bug was just fixed in one of the most recent nightlies. I think the proper despawn time is 5 minutes.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have a dumb question, and I want to preface with saying that I know nothing about game development.

Lets say something is wildly successful in the nightly updates. Why can't the add it to the stable game as a small stable update? Or is that not how things work? Like lets say everyone who plays the nightly really loves the outposts, can they just be like beep boop we're going to add this as an update to the stable game?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shnooks posted:

I have a dumb question, and I want to preface with saying that I know nothing about game development.

Lets say something is wildly successful in the nightly updates. Why can't the add it to the stable game as a small stable update? Or is that not how things work? Like lets say everyone who plays the nightly really loves the outposts, can they just be like beep boop we're going to add this as an update to the stable game?

The problem with that is that little change x happens to rely on other change y which uses changes abcdefgh and all of them are based on updated libraries, etc... On top of that, publishing a new "Stable" release isn't just a case of making the tweak, building the game and shoving it out the door. If it's truly a stable release it needs to go through testing before release as well. So each stable release has a certain amount of not-insignificant overhead. The devs in this case have decided it's better for them to batch up a large number of changes before spending the time/effort to put out a new stable release.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Shnooks posted:

None of this is specific to Starbound as I clearly am not a programmer on their team, but:

Programming is a bit like building the foundation and the house at the same time. You (I say 'you', I usually mean 'a stakeholder') realise by the time you're done with the kitchen that it really would be much better with a walk-in wardrobe and so you're off to pour more concrete etc.

What this means in more relevant terms is that in your example, the outposts, it's likely it relies on some of the new systems they've been building. In some of the recent dev updates they go over the new tile rendering code (which looks pretty interesting). Now the problem is that the current stable build relies entirely on the old tile rendering code. So in order to pull over 'just the outposts', you'd need to also make it so that either:
a) the outposts work with the old tile rendering system (which'd be a waste of time because as soon as the current build goes to stable, you'd have to undo / remove all that work. Based on the tenor of the conversations surrounding this game, I'd imagine the Chucklefish folks feel like there's better ways to spend time)
b) the current stable build works with the new tile rendering system. Now a lot of this work has been done in actually creating the new system, so the sensible approach would be to just pull in the changes that allow the new tile rendering system to work well with the existing stable codebase.

Okay, so assuming you still want to pull in this 'small change' even though it just broadened in scope to pull in something that touches almost everything in the game, you should be able to see the problem: The reason the 'stable' branch is called 'stable' is because it, well, is stable. Or at least, it's been tested to the best of your ability as a company and promoting code to it implies that anything you've added has been tested to the same extent.

And now we're spending testing time on a weird hybrid of old and new code, testing time that's completely wasted when we go to promote the current nightlies branch into stable, as the way the systems interact will be different in there.

Basically, it's flow-on effects like this all the way down. Note that the dependency I use above is made up - it might well be outposts don't rely on the new tile rendering system. But I can guarantee it relies on half a dozen small other things they implemented in the nightlies branch over the last few months. And chances are even just finding out exactly what the dependencies are that aren't present in the current stable branch would take a non-trivial amount of time.

(yes, I do this for a living, why do you ask? :P)

e: f;b. That said, I used significantly more words so surely that means my explanation is better, right?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Both responses were very helpful, thanks :).

The Reich Stuff
Feb 20, 2014
I bought this game a while ago and tried it out, and it wasn't very fun. Mining and collecting resources was a huge chore, none of the techs seemed imaginative or really unique, the controls felt clunky, and pickaxes and swords seem really silly in a sci-fi game. In fact, even with a spaceship and other planets it doesn't seem very sci-fi at all. I also felt cheated by the concept-art-posing-as-game-content pictures on Steam which made the game seem like it had more depth than it actually does. Even the art style isn't that great; I can't explain it but it seems like things don't "fit" together. It looked better than Terraria when the first concepts came out but Terraria has improved in leaps and bounds since then and is now a much prettier game.

So I grabbed the nightlies thinking that there might have been updates to improve on these issues (you know, it's a work in progress, whatever) and found that the forced tier progression and forced exploration made the game even more tedious. I'm really disappointed that it's around nine months since the initial release and it seems like almost nothing has been done to address the big issues. I don't think I've gotten my $15 worth out of this game--Steam says I've played it for 24 hours but there's no way that's right, as it can't be more than 5-6 hours.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Reich Stuff posted:

Steam says I've played it for 24 hours but there's no way that's right, as it can't be more than 5-6 hours.

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

This thread is probably one of my favorites now, should be in the comedy goldmine.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Reich Stuff posted:

Steam says I've played it for 24 hours but there's no way that's right, as it can't be more than 5-6 hours.

You probably kept the launcher running, as it doesn't close automatically when you launch the game and racks up hours. For some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Closing the game left the launcher open and steam kept tracking playtime, so that's probably what happened.

edit: gently caress.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Reich Stuff posted:

I bought this game a while ago and tried it out, and it wasn't very fun. Mining and collecting resources was a huge chore, none of the techs seemed imaginative or really unique, the controls felt clunky, and pickaxes and swords seem really silly in a sci-fi game. In fact, even with a spaceship and other planets it doesn't seem very sci-fi at all. I also felt cheated by the concept-art-posing-as-game-content pictures on Steam which made the game seem like it had more depth than it actually does. Even the art style isn't that great; I can't explain it but it seems like things don't "fit" together. It looked better than Terraria when the first concepts came out but Terraria has improved in leaps and bounds since then and is now a much prettier game.

So I grabbed the nightlies thinking that there might have been updates to improve on these issues (you know, it's a work in progress, whatever) and found that the forced tier progression and forced exploration made the game even more tedious. I'm really disappointed that it's around nine months since the initial release and it seems like almost nothing has been done to address the big issues. I don't think I've gotten my $15 worth out of this game--Steam says I've played it for 24 hours but there's no way that's right, as it can't be more than 5-6 hours.

All of this is valid complaints

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I did try the nightly updates out briefly and yeah, it does seem a lot more tedious than stable. The change to sand just smushing ore instead of dropping it when mined is really crippling, though the beginning of the game in general is just far too slow. I don't think even Terraria's starting tools make you take like fifteen seconds to chop a tree.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The sand mining change is straight up unacceptable. :colbert:

I don't understand the need for enforced progression based on picks. It kinda works in Terraria, but this isn't Terraria; it's way more open-ended and sprawling and just... sandboxy, at least in terms of travel and exploration. On top of that, you already have to progress through all the ores to upgrade your picks, then progress through them again to upgrade your drills.

IMHO picks and drills should be rolled into the Matter Manipulator, like someone suggested earlier. Collect 10 stone to break down for minerals to reinforce the broken Manipulator's frame, letting it mine 3x3 and slightly improving its efficiency. Collect 10 copper bars to patch its power circuitry and boost its efficiency further. Silver upgrades its internal photon reflectors. Gold upgrades its circuit boards. Platinum is used to create a hydrogen fuel cell, considerably boosting the power output. Finally, diamond can be used to create a greatly upgraded set of beam lenses, improving Manipulator precision by drastically reducing kinetic fidelity loss. After that you can skip the "now do it all again, but DRILLS" step and start using cool poo poo like uranium, plutonium, and solarium to upgrade the MM further.

Then just make the broken MM printable for 1 pixel in case someone somehow loses theirs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That is actually a really good and valid idea and I'd be happy to help pitch it to the devs.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

The sand mining change is straight up unacceptable. :colbert:

I don't understand the need for enforced progression based on picks. It kinda works in Terraria, but this isn't Terraria; it's way more open-ended and sprawling and just... sandboxy, at least in terms of travel and exploration. On top of that, you already have to progress through all the ores to upgrade your picks, then progress through them again to upgrade your drills.

IMHO picks and drills should be rolled into the Matter Manipulator, like someone suggested earlier. Collect 10 stone to break down for minerals to reinforce the broken Manipulator's frame, letting it mine 3x3 and slightly improving its efficiency. Collect 10 copper bars to patch its power circuitry and boost its efficiency further. Silver upgrades its internal photon reflectors. Gold upgrades its circuit boards. Platinum is used to create a hydrogen fuel cell, considerably boosting the power output. Finally, diamond can be used to create a greatly upgraded set of beam lenses, improving Manipulator precision by drastically reducing kinetic fidelity loss. After that you can skip the "now do it all again, but DRILLS" step and start using cool poo poo like uranium, plutonium, and solarium to upgrade the MM further.

Then just make the broken MM printable for 1 pixel in case someone somehow loses theirs.

Dear starbound devs please do this.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I mean, it's more or less the same tool progression, but a lot more intuitive and a bit more in-line with the pulpy futuristic adventure feel of the game. It also does away with having to go back for ores you've long since recycled, and it makes the MM actually important for something as well.

I feel like it could be interesting to keep picks and drills around as items that you can find in chests or buy from merchants. They could be more efficient than an MM of the same level, but lose durability over time, and when they break, they're gone. The MM, by contrast, does not wear down. This makes digging tools a handy time-saver and an actually useful treasure in the earlier parts of the game, as opposed to the current situation where you find a gold pick and go "cool? :confused:" and immediately throw it in the trash because yours is gold too. It also prevents players from having to constantly micromanage bits of copper onto their diggers, because that's a little tedious and doesn't really add anything to the game.

e:

WarpedNaba posted:

That is actually a really good and valid idea and I'd be happy to help pitch it to the devs.

Please do. They can take it or leave it as they please, but it doesn't hurt to toss it out there. If nothing else, it would make a great mod.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 13, 2014

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Edit: This is not the Payday 2 thread, not even a little bit.

I will n-th the Matter Manipulator thing though. Early mining is so slow it makes my eyeballs want to jump out of my face.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 13, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The MM not being useful for anything other than poo poo-tier mining did always strike me as odd, I'd also support rolling picks at least into it, and possibly introducing more interesting mining devices later on? Explosives and lasers and stuff?

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

me and a friend are playing on a server but we've reached Impervium grade armour and .. We don't exactly know what else there is to do...

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zyntherius posted:

me and a friend are playing on a server but we've reached Impervium grade armour and .. We don't exactly know what else there is to do...

Build stuff, explore planets, collect item sets, make a space station. It's a sandbox game, have fun.

The reality is that progression is both unfinished and more than a bit boring (at least the latter half) in it's current state, there's not going to be any bosses for you, or new armor to make. If you're looking for strict gear/enemy progression, you've finished the game for now. Maybe try mods?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Thank you for expanding what I said earlier with more plausible sounding techno-babble. All sci-fi needs good techno-babble.

I think Starbound should focus on the exploration aspect instead of mining to make it stand out from Terraria. The NPCs are criminally underutilized and we still don't have human or hylotl settlements. I'm glad the devs are working on outposts and merchants.

I really hope the next stable doesn't wipe the universe. I have a really sweet two asteroid base connected by an enclosed metal walkway.

• Locked thread