Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Reading all the crazy poo poo that Billy has been doing and how crazy he's become has definitely been the most interesting thing SP/Corgan-related in the last 15 years. Then it's those reissues and a really really distant third is anything he's recorded from Machina onwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Of course he'll get a female bassist to tour with because that would be keeping his creepiness consistent.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kim Deal is currently between opportunities, right?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm still pissed at the way Billy treated Melissa. I saw them with D'Arcy, Melissa and later with Paz (no way I'd ever pay to go to a new show) and by far the best bassist and the one Billy played off best was MADM so obviously he had to be a complete dick to her. loving Billy :jerkbag:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not necessarily, he helped produce her (only? first?) solo album. It could be that it was a temporary arrangement.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
AFAIK the falling out happened afterwards but yeah he did some dick moves and never bothered to call her back for the reunion etc... but she's just too nice to say anything about it. That's what came out from Netphoria anyway but I can't say it's something i read about in the last six or seven years, I just remember thinking 'What an rear end in a top hat (and non-surprise)'

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Twee as gently caress posted:

I'm still pissed at the way Billy treated Melissa. I saw them with D'Arcy, Melissa and later with Paz (no way I'd ever pay to go to a new show) and by far the best bassist and the one Billy played off best was MADM so obviously he had to be a complete dick to her. loving Billy :jerkbag:
Melissa is definitely the best bassist they ever had. I know a lot of people like D'arcy in the band (probably more the image of D'arcy) but she was never a very good bassist, even despite the simple basslines. Melissa was playing the exact same notes yet in every live performance I've seen of her, she absolutely nailed everything and played with infinitely more confidence than D'arcy.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 16, 2014

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Cromulent posted:

Melissa is definitely the best bassist they ever had.

She also fit in musically the least. She was fun to watch and she seems really cool but listen to the bass on Rock On from Judas O - that's what she sounded like that whole tour.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Hole reunite? At least she's still playing songs written by Billy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Small clip from 'Anti-Hero', with The Shredder (?) doing an overdub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RE9MXmSMV0

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not necessarily, he helped produce her (only? first?) solo album. It could be that it was a temporary arrangement.
I don't think Billy was involved with either of her (great) solo albums. Chris Goss produced most of the first and part of the second.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hatelull posted:

Kim wouldn't put up with Billy's poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Kim wouldn't put up with Billy's poo poo

"YOU FUCKIN' DIE!"

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Small clip from 'Anti-Hero', with The Shredder (?) doing an overdub.
If the question mark means "who's the Shredder?", it's Billy's weird pet name for Jeff Schroeder.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"YOU FUCKIN' DIE!"

Billy attempts to recruit Kim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNyNEO4Ef08

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Track listing for Adore remaster now out

Disc 1 – Adore: Stereo Remastered

01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page
16. 17

Disc 2 – Adore: Mono Remastered

01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page

Disc 3: In a State of Passage

01. Blissed and Gone (Sadlands Demo)
02. Christmastime (Sadlands Demo)
03. My Mistake (Sadlands Demo)
04. Sparrow (Sadlands Demo)
05. Valentine (Sadlands Demo)
06. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Sadlands Demo)
07. What If? (Streeterville Demo)
08. Chewing Gum (CRC Demo)
09. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (CRC Demo)
10. The Ethers Tragic (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
11. The Guns of Love Disastrous (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
12. Annie-Dog (Take 10/ CRC Demo)
13. Once in a While (2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes When You Kiss Me? (CRC Demo)
15. For Martha (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
16. My Mistake (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
17. Blissed and Gone (CRC Demo)
18. For Martha (Take 2/ Instrumental/ CRC Demo)

Disc 4: Chalices, Palaces and Deep Pools

01. For Martha (Symphonic Snippet/ Instrumental)
02. Crestfallen (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
03. To Sheila (Early Banjo Version)
04. Ava Adore (Puffy Combs Remix 1998)
05. O Rio (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
06. Waiting (Adore Outtake)
07. Once Upon a Time (Sadlands Demo)
08. Eye (2014 Mix/ From the ‘Lost Highway’ Soundtrack)
09. Saturnine (For Piano and Voice)
10. Cash Car Star (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Pug (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Perfect (No Strings Version)
13. It’s Alright (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
14. Czarina (Take 1/ Adore Outtake)
15. Indecision (Sadlands Demo)
16. Blank Page (Early Version)

Disc 5: Malice, Callous and Fools

01. Let Me Give the World to You (Adore Outtake)
02. Tear (From Digital Transfer)
03. Cross (Adore Outtake)
04. Because You Are (Adore B-Side)
05. Jersey Shore (Sadlands Demo)
06. Shame (Take 1)
07. Summer (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
08. Blissed and Gone (Drone Version)
09. Heaven (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
10. Daphne Descends (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Saturnine (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Behold! the Night Mare (Alternate Vocal)
13. Perfect (Acoustic Demo/ Adore Outtake)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes? (Adore Outtake)
15. The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

Disc 6: Kissed Alive Too

01. Ava Adore (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
02. Daphne Descends (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
03. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
04. Tear (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
05. Shame (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
06. Blank Page (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
07. To Sheila (Live/ Nashville/ Ryman Auditorium)
08. Money (That’s What I Want) (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
09. X.Y.U. Medley (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
10. Transmission (Live/ Chicago/ Rehearsal)

Disc 7 – DVD: Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA – August 4, 1998

01. To Sheila
02. Behold! the Night Mare
03. Pug
04. Crestfallen
05. Ava Adore
06. Tear
07. Annie-Dog
08. Perfect
09. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
10. Tonight, Tonight
11. Once Upon a Time
12. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
13. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
14. Shame
15. For Martha
16. Blank Page
17. Transmission

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

hatelull posted:

Voted 5

The Black Stones posted:

Track listing for Adore remaster now out

:allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Was Soot and Stars a part of the Machina timeline? loving love that track.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I suspect we've heard the majority of those demos already but goddamn is that an impressive track listing.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Adore remaster is the one I've been waiting for the most. Billy was right when he said that Adore would be looked back as a masterpiece 20 years later because it's really really loving great.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Twee as gently caress posted:

Adore remaster is the one I've been waiting for the most. Billy was right when he said that Adore would be looked back as a masterpiece 20 years later because it's really really loving great.

Yeah it really is.

edit: having just read the wall of text on sp.com that came with the tracklist announcement, let me say: you are a crazy, crazy son of a bitch billy corgan. bless your soul.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 17, 2014

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My attention is sufficiently peaked with Disc 7. I caught one of the live shows for that small tour, and it was incinerating. The jammy "Transmission" cover is one of my favorite live things.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Throwing money at my monitor just for disc 7.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.co...FE-6521C46697B8

Billy is currently transferring 60+ four-track tapes of early SP demos to digital, and apparently his latest crazy idea is to put out "12 to 20 separate releases" of those demos. Even crazier part is that he plans to do it this year.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm apparently in a minority, but when it comes to early Smashing Pumpkins, "Take my money, please!"

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Cheesus posted:

I'm apparently in a minority, but when it comes to early Smashing Pumpkins, "Take my money, please!"

No I'm exactly the same way. I'm an absolute idiot for early pumpkins stuff and demos and all that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Masonic Youth posted:

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.co...FE-6521C46697B8

Billy is currently transferring 60+ four-track tapes of early SP demos to digital, and apparently his latest crazy idea is to put out "12 to 20 separate releases" of those demos. Even crazier part is that he plans to do it this year.

That is pretty exciting, as to date we only have a handful of tracks from Nothing Ever Changes. I'm a pretty big fan of their "semi-early" work (1989-90 Reel Time Session era stuff), but even though this predates it, I'm still stoked to get a listen.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

01. Let Me Give the World to You (Adore Outtake)

I'm late to the party here but I haven't seen this answered anywhere: is this like the "Let Me Give the World to You" outtake? The Rick Rubin one that got hyped up massively prior to release and was eventually left off the album and never heard?

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

whatis posted:

I'm late to the party here but I haven't seen this answered anywhere: is this like the "Let Me Give the World to You" outtake? The Rick Rubin one that got hyped up massively prior to release and was eventually left off the album and never heard?

Yes, it is. I'm half expecting for Billy to pull a fast one and somehow put out the version that hasn't been hyped for 16 years.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Pizza Club posted:

Yes, it is. I'm half expecting for Billy to pull a fast one and somehow put out the version that hasn't been hyped for 16 years.

gently caress. That rules

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Honestly I dont know how it could be any better than the LMGTWTY that they played at the viper room but if it's even close, it'll be amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Phone posting so hard for me to post a link, but Billy put "Let Me Give the World To You" up on YouTube for a couple days. Give it a listen.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

The Black Stones posted:

Phone posting so hard for me to post a link, but Billy put "Let Me Give the World To You" up on YouTube for a couple days. Give it a listen.

Hmm can I remember bbcode via phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo7FE4Mm14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo7FE4Mm14

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Sounds good.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but honestly I'm sure my expectations were way too high. I guess fifteen years or so of listening to the song being played live with HUGE soaring vocals in the chorus will spoil just about anything.

Still, if we have more of this caliber stuff to look forward to, I'm gonna be happy to drop the bucks.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I've loved the song ever since I heard it on Machina II and I love this recording a lot

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A few pages ago somebody asked if there were any bands like Smashing Pumpkins and there weren't really any good suggestions.

I was listening to the new Ty Segall album and there's a lot of influences that can be heard on it. This song in particular reminded me a lot of early 90s Pumpkins, specifically their raw live performances and demos from that time.

Now bear with me, this is a very loose comparison, and I actually don't think this live version quite does the studio version justice (which is a shame), but give it a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99Id3Iq2fw

If you can track down the studio version instead, I recommend it (the one on youtube is an early demo, so don't trust it) . Get the whole album actually.

Also weird to note the singer's shirt could be interpreted zero-inspired, but it's anyone's guess.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 20, 2014

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

A bunch of stuff leaked via Netphoria a little while ago, including "Envelope Woman" and two versions of "In the Arms of Sheep" from "Pastichio Medley", demo versions of "Glass + The Ghost Children", "Raindrops and Sunshowers", "Where Boys Fear to Tread", and "Home", and a Machina-era version of "Without You". Also the Billy-vocals demo of Natalie Imbruglia's "Identify". They've all been banned from the site (as have the people who leaked them, I believe) but the :filez: are out there somewhere.

edit: Oh poo poo, these are the tracks that Billy said were "stolen" in the 7/28 Panopticon update. He's seriously pissed.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Masonic Youth posted:

A bunch of stuff leaked via Netphoria a little while ago, including "Envelope Woman" and two versions of "In the Arms of Sheep" from "Pastichio Medley", demo versions of "Glass + The Ghost Children", "Raindrops and Sunshowers", "Where Boys Fear to Tread", and "Home", and a Machina-era version of "Without You". Also the Billy-vocals demo of Natalie Imbruglia's "Identify". They've all been banned from the site (as have the people who leaked them, I believe) but the :filez: are out there somewhere.

edit: Oh poo poo, these are the tracks that Billy said were "stolen" in the 7/28 Panopticon update. He's seriously pissed.

Damnit, I need to get back to lurking in Netphoria again. All the cool stuff happens when I stop paying attention to them.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Masonic Youth posted:

oh poo poo, i gotta find this somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
The original "Let Me Give the World to You" they released on YouTube sounded brickwalled to death. It's the prettiest version production-wise but drat that's really louded-up. I really hope the Adore reissue isn't gonna be a repeat of the Pisces Box Set in terms of sound quality. Because I'm getting "Bye June" and "There it Goes" flashbacks.

BANME.sh posted:

A few pages ago somebody asked if there were any bands like Smashing Pumpkins and there weren't really any good suggestions.

I know this is a long shot but..My Chemical Romance? Sort of? I mean, their discography even syncs up with the Pumpkins and where each band went stylistically. And then they broke up after the same number of years. Their frontman has named the Pumpkins as an inspiration in interview after interview. Their sound(s) are sort of like a mixed up molotov cocktail of different sounds and the Pumpkins (Mellon Collie thru Machina) are definitely in there somewhere.

• Locked thread