Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

At last, someone has finally pointed their cartoonist's pen at the shameful, nigh-irreparable sports/gamer gap we have tried so hard to ignore in our society.

god bless intelligent life or whatever it's called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

Les is going to make friends with the actors, and sell them on the original idea of Lisa dying and having the movie actually be tragic. Then the evil studio is going to push more stupid changes to make it a loving romcom or something, and the actors will rebel against the studio and side with Les. In the end, by standing up to the studio the movie will be made as originally intended and Les's precious ~artistic integrity~ will be preserved and Lisa's Story will be saved.
Yup. But the most important part of all is going to be when it's all finished and he returns home to deliver a lame-rear end pun and a half-smirk to his second wife and their awful friends, just to let everyone know how terrible the whole experience was and how difficult it was for him to get through it. Les Moore, Art's greatest martyr. :rolleyes:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It half-loaded so at first I thought this was the whole strip:

That's some John K. face in that last panel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Oh hey, edit material. Nobody use this, it's too much of a low hanging fruit.
Sorry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Just in time to start thinking about going back to school, Skippy starts pining for summer vacation! (May 23, 1927)

Peanuts (August 14, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean presents "Reveries Of An Immaculate Artist"! (a travesty in an indeterminate number of installments)

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 15-16, 1925)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the whole jocks and nerds thing seems really stupid in an office setting?

Like, stupider than it would be otherwise.

No, you aren't, because you've managed to age emotionally and mentally past high school age. Some people just get stuck there for their whole lives, and it's sad.

For real, this comic has made my eyes roll so hard each time its posted I think I pulled something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had the misfortune of having a co-worker who was a jock nerd. He was the worst.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This is perfect if you imagine Sluggo as that bushy-bearded, country-singing pervert.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

SynthOrange posted:

I had the misfortune of having a co-worker who was a jock nerd. He was the worst.

I have the misfortune of having one right now, and he's about two seconds away from an EEOC complaint.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Heavenly Nostrils

Yep, this is another really recent rerun.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/11/2003

No Edda, he's just a nerd. Don't try and rationalize it.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

A pony tail, and a giant horn for a nose just doesn't work with me.

Everyone needs at least on plastic turd on their person.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

That's a fine Wii controller.

Sunday editions! I think I've seen Pickles before.

And I know I've seen Bleeker before, can't remember where....

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Awright kids, buckle in, I'm loaded for bear with some good comix:

Cul-de-sac Fixates on fruitbats

The Creeps dearly deluded.

Poptropica why do you know that's abba?

Heathcliff gives us another view of a previous strip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

The Dinette Set

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac Fixates on fruitbats

Carmen Miranda: Brazilian pop star who made it big in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJLm6WNEv4

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjeveGthEYk

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Somebody posted this on his blog. It's a Dick Tracy story from the comic book. Initially they were reprints of the newspaper strips, but they started creating new Tracy stories just for the comic book.

It's not known who the artist/writer is, although the blog's author thinks it's somebody from Chester Gould's studio (like 99% of all cartoonists of the era, Gould employed assistants, although it is not know how much involvement they had on the strips).

You can read the whole story at the blog, but I figure I'll post the comic book story few pages at a time here. Here are the first 6 pages.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Yes, I'm sure the Phantom is the one receiving punishment here.

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 11, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Intelligent Life is the worst comic in the thread? We'll see about that!

The return of Mike du Jour

and Monty (which isn't terrible, but one guy in here did hate it...)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I cannot do a profitable
business with these
wily Greeks!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Prince Valiant has slain the evil tables, who lorded over this fair forum.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
May, 1987: Feelin' good, a look at 2007, opulent wealth, and vulgar noises.
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Inhale.

Take in as much air as you can.

This strip should last about as long as you can hold your breath, and then just a little bit longer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...Wow.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
Oh no. Some lady on a phone wants to continue her conversation and doesn't want to talk to me, Mike Lester, even though I am a complete stranger to her. What a rude bitch. If she were my wife, I would beat her.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Prince Valiant has slain the evil tables, who lorded over this fair forum.

Whoops! Fixed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Whoops! Fixed.

I thought it was a joke about promising 'double classic prince valiant'.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Perhaps she would consider staying if you stop throwing coffee mugs at her head.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Nothing to see here except for a creep planning to defile a corpse.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aardmania posted:

That looks nothing like Guy Gilchrist. Lazy Dog Comix.

It's the return of silent panels week! Except for panel three, I guess?

Ballard Street

My favourite Ballard strips are the ones where the characters in a household are taking part in some weird ritual and the dog is having none of it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life is the worst comic in the thread? We'll see about that!

The return of Mike du Jour
[hilarious jokes]

Thank you, I had basically forgotten about this 59-year-old man's unsavory obsession with Taylor Swift.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
My guess for the cancerverse is a little different. The movie will get made, it will do okay, all of that. What the story will focus on is Les spending more and more time with the actress portraying his wife, eventually ending in an affair. When Les' current wife gets the divorce papers out of the blue and discovers she's been replaced by a better surrogate ghostwife, she will kill herself with sleeping pills and slit wrists in the tub.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Pvt.Scott posted:

My guess for the cancerverse is a little different. The movie will get made, it will do okay, all of that. What the story will focus on is Les spending more and more time with the actress portraying his wife, eventually ending in an affair. When Les' current wife gets the divorce papers out of the blue and discovers she's been replaced by a better surrogate ghostwife, she will kill herself with sleeping pills and slit wrists in the tub.

That would make Les obviously the bad guy, not gonna happen.
It would still be a much better story that way

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pvt.Scott posted:

drat, I wish...

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Is this all before or after the weeklong "Les is a pulp writer from the past!" daydream?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus christ that glare.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Isn't self-plagiarism just something in academia?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

This is junk.

Oh, Brother

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 13, 1956)

Representative Oscar Underwood (D-Alabama) was one of the names in the hat for the 1912 Democratic Convention, but he dropped out during the jaw-dropping 46 rounds of balloting. Woodrow Wilson, the guy who eventually got the nod (and the job), wasn't even in the lead until two-thirds of the way through the process. But that's not the real reference here, because Underwood was also the unwitting subject of the first political catchphrase of the broadcast era.

"Elizabeth McLeod (way down at #18) posted:

The 1924 Democratic National Convention June-July 1924

"Allllll-a-baaaaaaaama casssts twennnnnnty-four votes for Oscarrrrr W. Un-der-woooood!" That's the call, as delivered a total of one hundred and three times by Alabama Governor William Brandon during the Democratic National Convention, as broadcast June 24th thru July 9th, 1924. The eventual nomination goes to John Davis, who will of course be trounced by Coolidge in the general election that fall. Underwood was actually a pretty significant figure in politics at the time -- he had been Senate Minority Leader, and went on to become Governor of Alabama. But all anyone remembers about him is that he got those 24 votes at the convention. Eighteen stations make up the AT&T network for this broadcast, extending as far west as Kansas City -- and the RCA stations also join in. The broadcasters are Graham McNamee and Phillips Carlin for AT&T, and Major J. Andrew White and Norman Brokenshire for RCA, who together help to introduce millions of fascinated listeners to the intricacies of the political process -- and also spawns a national catch phrase that echoes across playgrounds and city streets for much of the summer.

Caveman radio is a pretty long stretch for a callback, but Kelly made a career out of these things. (e: The 1924 convention set the record at 104 ballots, which was at least partially driven by an unsuccessful effort to add an anti-KKK plank to the party platform.)

Peanuts: Year One (February 12-14, 1951)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

This is junk.

The parents obviously kidnapped Linus from Peanuts.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ZeeToo posted:

And I thought it was two days' comics.

Just enough recap to be the banal continuation of a joke.

I had the same thought. This is such a lovely cartoon.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Looks like that's the end of the Olice arc? That's a bit weak, if so.

Rex Morgan MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

• Locked thread