Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

About 8 pounds of thermite in a cylinder bore will put a couple stress cracks in the cylinder walls where they meet the fire deck :v:

Motor still turned freely though... after cranking it over a few times with a breaker bar scraped all the thermite slag off the walls, that is, revealing minor pitting and a lot of beautiful crosshatching.

Clearly more thermite is needed next time.

At this point someone needs to post that cash for clunkers video of a 4.0 blowing the front half of the engine off and still running.
Someone who is not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did my front struts yesterday, found this minor failure:

Upper turn bearing just fell apart as I was disassembling the strut assembly. New one on the bottom; you can see the "races" and the blue "roller" (it's all just flat plastic packed with grease), and a bit of blue dust around the edge of the middle bit; there was a shitload more blue dust packed underneath the bearing piece when I pulled it off, so this thing's been done for a while now.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

8ender posted:

gently caress. I blame the SA app for me not being good at reading

You were right though, he was on the way.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I assume anytime a 4.0L fails Kastein looks up from what he's doing and a single tear rolls down his face.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the health care thread:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
What the gently caress is that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8ender posted:

What the gently caress is that

A dead man walking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slap me silly posted:

I guess I'm missing the connection here.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Godholio posted:

I guess I'm missing the connection here.

Probably some machine broke and stuck something in his head.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That is a brain tumor that has (most likely) caused all kinds of mechanical failures in the head. It's called mass effect, I poo poo you not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_effect_(medicine)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

slap me silly posted:

That is a brain tumor that has (most likely) caused all kinds of mechanical failures in the head. It's called mass effect, I poo poo you not

it fits because that tumor is :sicknasty:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slap me silly posted:

My dad had this back when he had surgery for a heart attack. A couple of months after the procedure, the increased blood flow caused a benign growth in his skull to push on his brain, triggering a seizure.

Being woken up in the middle of the night to help carry my dad down the stairs while he was completely glassy-eyed, convulsing and foaming at the mouth, is one of the scariest things I have ever experienced.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slap me silly posted:

Uh...ow?
I guess the tumor in my foot would have counted as having a mass effect. I really didn't realize how much it hurt until it was gone. Kinda weird.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So I was out "working" this weekend. I decided to use my work boots I'd only used once in the last year.

Why the duct tape?

The soles just fell off. First one while trying to push start a car. The second while walking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Aurune posted:

So I was out "working" this weekend. I decided to use my work boots I'd only used once in the last year.

Why the duct tape?

The soles just fell off. First one while trying to push start a car. The second while walking.

Nothing runs like in a Deere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvF0tJQNU_w

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty old, but it's sort of amusing watching how the lights/body control module lose their poo poo.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

This is why I have a fire extinguisher in every car I drive. And if I am driving a car that isn't mine I will move a bottle over. A few toots would have made everyone's day a lot easier.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen a few car fires. One just barely started as I saw smoke coming from the guys fenders as I waited at a light. Suddenly flames shot across the bottom and he jumped out. I pulled in to a nearby 711 to call 911 (pre-everyone-has-a-cellphone days) but the pay phone cord was cut.

The whole thing was engulfed in an amazing amount of time.

My similar mechanical failure, though I sadly don't have pics, came from my not knowing why my 89 Toyota Pickup vibrated like crazy when driving, especially under load. One day while cleaning out the cab white smoke started pouring from the dash. I popped the hood and unhooked the battery.

I looked under the dash and all the ground wires were a bit melted and the E-brake wouldn't pull out. Turns out the vibrating shifted the positive battery cable into a spot where it got pinched against the frame. The insulation finally wore away and basically completed the circuit. The E-brake didn't work because the cable melted into the plastic pulley for the lever.

I then found out the u-joints were the issue for the vibration and learned what a bearing-less u-joint spindle looks like.

Fixed them and taped up the battery cable. Thirteen years later there've been no issues, but I've still not fixed the E-brake...

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Many years ago as a teen delivering pizzas one evening I came across a Mercedes on fire in a parking lot. I always carry a fire extiguisher, even at 17 years old I knew it was a good idea. It looked like someone had torched the car to me as the fire was only in the cabin. I stopped, pulled out my extiguisher, and fired a few blasts into the car through the smashed window and put out the fire in just a few seconds.

About a minute later the local FD shows up as I stand there admiring my handy work. One of the fire fighters hops down and walks over to me and notices the extinguisher in my hand. "Did you put that out?" Me: "Yeah" Him: "That's the only excitement we've had all shift and you took away our fun. Thanks." He genuinely sounded disappointed that they didn't get to get out their toys and play. I didn't know how to react to that. It was a small town and they didn't get many calls at midnight on a weekday.

I've also put out more than one engine fire inside my own cars saving them before any real damage was done.

Every car I buy gets a fire extinguisher put in it before anything else.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

What the gently caress kind of cars do you all drive that you're THAT concerned about catching on fire? I've had several jobs where I drive all day for a living and I still drive about 1200 miles/month and I've not one time seen a car on fire. Not saying carrying a FE is a bad idea.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I thought the general feeling was that extinguishers for cars were a waste of time unless you went for really big ones (2.5 gallons)?

That was the 'wisdom' I had picked up. Better to invest in a more generous insurance policy. Does the group diagree?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

spog posted:

I thought the general feeling was that extinguishers for cars were a waste of time unless you went for really big ones (2.5 gallons)?

That was the 'wisdom' I had picked up. Better to invest in a more generous insurance policy. Does the group diagree?

They're useless if you have a real fuel system fire, but if you just have a small electrical or interior fire, they can save the car. That said, I don't carry one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've had my rear end saved by a 5 pound or 10 pound. If a fire takes hold you aren't going to save it with a little 2.5 pound... and if you don't get right on it, 5 or 10 won't help either, at least if fuel or ATF are involved.

Fire response:
CAR OFF. IMMEDIATELY. If there's anything you can do to doom a car that's on fire it's to keep the fuel pump running, electrical system on, and (if automatic) the ATF pumping.
Get out, deal with the fire as best you can. If it's an electrical fire, disconnect the battery ASAP.

Remember that a fire under the hood can melt the hood release cable, so popping the hood is a good second or third step. It MAY give the fire slightly more air however depending on bodywork/styling. Your call. Opening the hood will definitely increase airflow, but you might have to to put it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My opinion is, unless you know the exact source and extent of a fire, best just to GTFO and let pros put it out and let insurance pay you for the loss.

The last thing I would want to do is pop the hood for something I think is a small electrical fire and be greeted by exploding battery to the face.

There's a whole lot of nasty poo poo under the hood packed very close together, some of it under pressure or easily pressurized by a bit of heat. It's just not worth the risk.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 11, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that's for sure. Unless you're thinking quickly and have a very good idea of what's wrong with the car already, or have a hell of a lot of fire suppressant and know what to do with it, don't open the hood basically. Turning the car off, popping the hood latch (maybe), and getting out is IMO the best default response.

Every time I've even tried, I knew exactly what the problem was from the symptoms and what bystanders told me before I even got out of the car. Last time it was punctured ATF cooler lines that were spraying an atomized stream of fluid directly on my hot exhaust... I'd noticed the transmission slipping and slamming into gear when I hit the throttle maybe 20 seconds before, was already thinking about what could be causing it, and my spotter told me I was on fire and shooting flames every time I hit the throttle.

Fortunately I knew exactly where the trouble spot would be (it's a well known trouble spot on this vehicle) and had hoseclamps and the right size oil cooler hose on hand as well as a fire extinguisher, so it didn't burn to the ground and was running and driving again about 30 minutes later.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
The couple of fires in my own cars were caught extremely early in the event and were handled by the small extinguisher on board. Offroading can take a toll on all kinds of parts in a truck. One was an electrical fire after something, probably a branch, snagged on the starter and shorted it to ground. The other was an oil cooler line letting loose and spraying hot oil onto an even hotter exhaust manifold. I had people nearby who saw the smoke/flames start and we knew exactly what and where to attack before thing went too far south. Call it luck in both cases.

Also, accessibility is as important. On my D-90 it was mounted to the outside of the roll cage. Accessible from outside the truck to anyone. On other cars it's bolted down behind the driver. If you have to dig in your trunk under shopping bags and spare tires that poo poo is useless.

Do I expect my newish cars to burst into flames at any moment? Nope. But the 20+ year old cars in my stable all get extinguishers. Caught early enough even a small extinguisher can stop a total loss. In the video above a 2lb one would have taken care of the issue in like two bursts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

In the video above a 2lb one would have taken care of the issue in like two bursts.

Or you know, not driving what appeared to be a couple miles on a flat tire.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Or you know, not driving what appeared to be a couple miles on a flat tire.

I think the likelier scenario in that video is driving at highway speed for several miles on a binding caliper, causing excess heat that popped the tire and eventually set the brakes on fire.

Either way a small extinguisher probably would have been able to put the fire out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Interesting replies.

I suppose that for <$20, it's no biggie to buy one and keep it in the boot. But truth be told, I probably won't bother: the car is in good condition and I have no sentimental attachment to it.

In the event that it does catch fire, I'd call the fire service first and, if safe, grab my tools from it and let it burn.

How about safety hammers? Worth getting or another placebo?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

My opinion is, unless you know the exact source and extent of a fire, best just to GTFO and let pros put it out and let insurance pay you for the loss.

The last thing I would want to do is pop the hood for something I think is a small electrical fire and be greeted by exploding battery to the face.

There's a whole lot of nasty poo poo under the hood packed very close together, some of it under pressure or easily pressurized by a bit of heat. It's just not worth the risk.

This is how I have always looked at it. I carry one if I'm in an air cooled car cause well, those fuckers go off at random sometimes and are usually easy to put out. Ever seen a magnesium engine case go up? It's pretty spectacular.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

spog posted:

If you routinely drive by large sources of water I would bet it would be good, especially if your roads get slick/icy near said sources of water. Here in Dallas I wouldn't get one since everything is drying up and there is about 10+ feet of dry lake/river bed before you make it to the water these days.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Some of the more "serious" car shows my dad takes his cars to require a fire extinguisher in the car in order to be judged. I don't really know why. Half the cars are trailer queens that have a chromed-out motor with no fuel pump/gas tank.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

spog posted:

I have one with integrated belt-cutter, but primarily for use on another car if I'm first at an accident and people are trapped or a child or animal is trapped in a hot car or somesuch. Yeah, you can "find a rock" but that takes time, car windows are surpisingly bouncy, and you might in fact not be able to find a rock. (I could use the fire extinguisher ofc, but then I'd have no exuse to buy the safety hammer :ssh:)

I have no illusions that I'll be in any condition to use it to save myself or any other occupant of my own car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A fire extinguisher is just gonna bounce off unless you hit it REALLY hard. The canisters are made from ~16ga aluminum. I've had a 1/2" ratchet bounce off an auto side window when I was trying to break it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I used to have a pocketknife I loved that was fairly hefty and had a built in safety hammer and belt cutter.

Unfortunately, I lost it in the bowels of my attic while replacing the exhaust fans in the upstairs bathroom, and all the insulation is the blown in kind so it's probably gone till somebody opens up the walls in twenty years. :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

A fire extinguisher is just gonna bounce off unless you hit it REALLY hard. The canisters are made from ~16ga aluminum. I've had a 1/2" ratchet bounce off an auto side window when I was trying to break it.

But then accidentally break a really expensive piece of glass when something super tiny falls on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Prior rangie I owned caught fire once due to the relay for the abs pump sticking making the pump run constantly over pressurizing it, blowing the line, then pumping brakefluid allover a hot exhaust.

I carry two or more fire extinguishers at all times. gently caress that poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

But then accidentally break a really expensive piece of glass when something super tiny falls on it.

Yeah, I'd agree, safety glass is basically just perverse like that.

Windshields on the other hand will chip or crack almost at the drop of a hat apparently... but don't try using a safety hammer on those, there's no point because of the PVB (polyvinylbutyral) resin layer in the middle will make it a hell of a job to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

kastein posted:

Yeah, auto glass is surprisingly hard to break if you want it to. Rescue drills are always fun, even with a carbide window breaker it's not uncommon for people to take a couple tries especially if they haven't done it before. There's a lot more adrenaline happening for the real thing so it's less of an issue there. Windshields can be a pain in the rear end as well.

I carry an extinguisher mostly because it's something more than just calling the fire department, especially now that everyone carries a cell phone. Nothing worse than watching a very small fire turn into a big fire because nobody had anything more than a quart water bottle. Obviously if there's any doubt just head upwind and wait, vehicle fires really aren't something you want to deal with if there's any other option. Don't stand in line with the front or rear of the vehicle either, there's plenty of youtube videos of bumper shocks exploding. Hood and lid struts will go pretty good too.