Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash

Tunicate posted:

Anyone have advice on how to get a microphone to stop feeding back into speakers? Mumble starts screeching the moment any sound comes out of the speakers, even when I have push-to-talk enabled, and the button not pressed.

I dunno if that's related to mumble crashing on me or not - I'm guessing that means it's an issue with my audio drivers, but I really don't have a clue.

1. Configure - Settings
2. Audio Input: Make sure your device is correct i.e. your mic and your transmission section is set to Push to Talk (in the shortcuts section you can define your push to talk key)
3. Audio Output: Make sure your device is correct i.e. your speakers/headset/whatever the gently caress cans and string you use to internet socialize
4. Shortcuts: Set up your push to talk key
5. Ask in chat if you have issues, I'll help you if I'm around, keep in mind you will be trolled relentlessly

Love and kisses,
Stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SKY COQ posted:

By the same token though, the Galaxy class is, in universe, a 50 year-old ship.

I don't disagree. I'm just noting that they sold some people with the promise of flying familiar boats, and the putative threat of 'having' to mothball their toys in order to keep up with the new hotness is going to upset some of them. It's not like there isn't precedent for upgrading ships with modules, or reskinning them with holographic disguises, either.

Not that canon in MMOs is worth a squirt of piss in practice, or that STO's isn't a mess to begin with. The number of USS Other Series Reference or IKS Borderline Obscenity I've seen while tooling around, or the ridiculous bios that get posted here is indicative of that.

I do wonder what would happen if CBS, for whatever reason, put the kibosh on T6 or later upgrades for the older-series vessels. I doubt there would be much impact to Cryptic's bottom line, since the real whales are probably buying everything as it comes down the pike, but good god I can smell the stink being raised from here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kafziel posted:

more than half of our aircraft carriers are the 39-year-old Nimitz class. Just because it's a tried and true design doesn't mean the internals aren't state-of-the-art.

And hell, by Star Trek's weird standards the brand new Ford class carriers might be a Nimitz Refit Design, since they're effectively the same hull with better stuff inside and the tower moved. Not that we'll actually be refitting any of the Nimitzes into Fords.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 10, 2014

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Anyone have advice on how to get a microphone to stop feeding back into speakers? Mumble starts screeching the moment any sound comes out of the speakers, even when I have push-to-talk enabled, and the button not pressed.

I dunno if that's related to mumble crashing on me or not - I'm guessing that means it's an issue with my audio drivers, but I really don't have a clue.

Optionally if that doesn't work, it might be in windows itself. Look in your sound settings and see if you have a device like "what you hear". That'll cause the mic to feedback even without opening the mic from push to talk. That won't solve when you enable the mic with push to talk though, but it should fix the feedback from random ambient noise setting it off.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the invite. My login name is different, but thanks for the right click tip. For shits and giggles I rolled a Federation tactical captain and my God, I'm sticking with the Klingon. The fed captain was like cheesy trek bingo where you blow up some Klingons, rescue a whole colony, and destroy a Borg cube in your little dipshit obsolescent frigate with the ink on your Academy diploma still wet. That said, the Federation does give the option to have annoying ship names plastered on the hull.
There are some real benefits to going Fed, but the early leveling missions aren't one of them. The klanks and romulans got their low-level missions added much later, and the quality difference is pretty stark.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think they recently went in and redid all the early fed missions as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeardo posted:

I do wonder what would happen if CBS, for whatever reason, put the kibosh on T6 or later upgrades for the older-series vessels. I doubt there would be much impact to Cryptic's bottom line, since the real whales are probably buying everything as it comes down the pike, but good god I can smell the stink being raised from here.

Nothing gets implemented in STO without CBS approval. All that T6 stuff is already CBS approved.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Last time on Star Trek Online...

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

Captain Forehead and First Officer One Sixteenth Cherokee.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Acer Pilot posted:

I recognise Tuvok and Harry Kim. Who the gently caress are those other people?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Neelix and Janeway.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Aleth posted:

Neelix and Janeway.

Hahahaha the galaxy is fuuuuuuucked

bij
Feb 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqPm08kFks

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Tunicate posted:

Get a microphone that's not poo poo and use headphones.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Acer Pilot posted:

Man, Ethan Philips looks like just a normal kindly old man there, but the other three just look really uncomfortable. Especially Kate Mulgrew.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
For quite a while Garrett Wang had super long hair, but now he's back to the Harry Kim Hairstyle. Also he looks like he wished that the guy behind him would hoverhand instead. I think Kate Mulgrew just has Resting Bitch Face, but she seems like shes' pretty cool otherwise.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Man, Ethan Philips looks like just a normal kindly old man there, but the other three just look really uncomfortable. Especially Kate Mulgrew.

Nah, Tim Russ is genuinely happy to be there and a participate in Star Trek stuff all the time. Mulgrew though... yeesh, that's a thousand yard stare I would have expected outa Beltran.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Could I get wiki access please? Registered as Sheep.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I heard Mulgrew was pretty awesome in real life, but holy poo poo does she not want to be in that picture.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Who are the two turbonerds in the picture posing with all of the unemployed people?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Berke Negri posted:

Who are the two turbonerds in the picture posing with all of the unemployed people?

Hey now, Mulgrew gets work doing voiceovers for questionable documentaries!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
She's a series regular on Orange is the New Black as well. So she's actually got a steady acting gig.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Sheep posted:

Could I get wiki access please? Registered as Sheep.

Done.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I remade my party popper macro and after about 20 minutes someone told me to put my balloons up my rear end in a top hat. This game is fun.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Decided to see what the STO pubs have been up to when they're not playing the game. Here's some of the more worksafe things I found on DeviantArt:

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Can I get wiki access? Longshot007 is the account

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Longshot007 posted:

Can I get wiki access? Longshot007 is the account

Done.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1192311

This dude is asking for people to make Cardassian POV missions involving Gallitep, which has pubbie furor in a frenzy due to it basically being a concentration camp simulator. He's offering a 100m EC prize for the best submission. The thread is pretty entertaining in more ways than one.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 11, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Danaru posted:

I heard Mulgrew was pretty awesome in real life, but holy poo poo does she not want to be in that picture.

I think some folks who act in sci fi shows really love sci fi so going to all the comic cons and nerd events after the show runs its course isn't a chore. They're nerds themselsves. Other people are just actors taking a job and when the show runs its course they go to comic con for money but can't stand the turbonerds fawning over them.

I've never seen more than a couple episodes of Voyager, so I don't have an opinion on Mulgrew's acting abilities, but I do like seeing lesser known actors do well in shows, especially later in their careers.

Also, thanks for the invites to NoP and Dental. I'm enjoying leveling up my Klank in his bird of pee. The OP is right. The space combat is actually quite enjoyable; ground combat kind of meh. I'd skip the ground stuff if I could. Also, STO feels less grindy than SWTOR.

Are doing the duty officer assignments and R&D worthwhile or are they kind of pointless?

And thanks very much for the Wesley wiki. The advice of "don't mix beams and cannons" makes a lot of sense, but when you get your free ship at LCDR, what does the ship default with? Beams and Cannons.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 11, 2014

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Melchior posted:

This dude is asking for people to make Cardassian POV missions involving Gallitep, which has pubbie furor in a frenzy due to it basically being a concentration camp simulator. He's offering a 100m EC prize for the best submission. The thread is pretty entertaining in more ways than one.

That guy has been making quite a few good threads lately. A few days ago he made one asking the Devs to make in-game death more devastating. If a player died, there would be a chance to lose gear equipped to the ship/in a player's inventory. Unsurprisingly, it didn't go down well at all with pubbies and the thread went about 45 pages before Askray closed it. The amount of rage over an idea that has absolutely zero chance of ever becoming a reality was priceless.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

DonDoodles posted:

That guy has been making quite a few good threads lately. A few days ago he made one asking the Devs to make in-game death more devastating. If a player died, there would be a chance to lose gear equipped to the ship/in a player's inventory. Unsurprisingly, it didn't go down well at all with pubbies and the thread went about 45 pages before Askray closed it. The amount of rage over an idea that has absolutely zero chance of ever becoming a reality was priceless.

What's most enjoyable is that they are basically climbing over each other to be the first to reach the moral high ground. If the guy is trolling, he's a master at it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Melchior posted:

That thread is hilarious but I can't help wondering if the OP has played through Bijor.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aleth posted:

That thread is hilarious but I can't help wondering if the OP has played through Bijor.

I was trying to explain the concept to a non-Trek watching friend and started with "In DS9 the Bajorans are like the Jews to the Cardassians' Nazis."

She replied with "I thought the Ferengis were the Jews. "

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I was trying to explain the concept to a non-Trek watching friend and started with "In DS9 the Bajorans are like the Jews to the Cardassians' Nazis."

She replied with "I thought the Ferengis were the Jews. "

In space there are many Jews but hardly any black people.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Morglon posted:

In space there are many Jews but hardly any black people.

Counter-point. Klingons.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
They weren't originally black they just did some DNA fuckery so they don't count.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Morglon posted:

They weren't originally black they just did some DNA fuckery so they don't count.

Enterprise says otherwise.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, they were always black and rowdy, then the Augment Virus or whatever it was called turned them white and crafty for a few years.

Star Trek is kinda racist guys

EDIT: Yeah, repetitiveepic only ever hangs out on ESD anymore but he's usually the reason pubbies are having frothing political/religious debates. As far as I know that's all he's done for years since I started playing again. Kinda boring, but the dude is good at what he does.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 11, 2014

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Melchior posted:

What's most enjoyable is that they are basically climbing over each other to be the first to reach the moral high ground. If the guy is trolling, he's a master at it.

He frequents the NoPPS channel and spends too much time on ESD provoking pubbies into political/religious debate. He has a good sense of what sets them off. I like the fact that a lot of the pubbies responding to him know - or suspect -- full well that it's a bait thread, but can't help themselves.

"This HAS to be some sort of troll on the part of the OP, BUT......"

Also, Askray's closing post is absolutely beautiful:

quote:

I'm not even going to try and moderate 13 pages this time as everyone would pretty much have warnings or infractions at this point and it's only 6am (and I've had less than 4 hours of sleep..)

Let me be very clear - THIS IS A GAME IN A FICTIONAL SERIES IN A PART OF THE GALAXY THAT IS FICTIONAL. I get those that have family that had to deal with the holocaust have reservations on these types of story lines but again - THE INCIDENT AT GALLITEP IS NOT REAL.

Take a step back and think about this - If every real life situation that's bad was not allowed in any game we'd have no wars, no nuclear weapon situations, nadda. We'd have games where you fly around doing no bad at all and only doing diplomatic offerings of peace to every person you ran into.

Trust me, it'd get boring after awhile. There are always going to be buttons that people get worked up over but again - THIS ISN'T REAL LIFE. Is the story a representation about the holocaust? Possibly. Is the klingon war any worse? Is the romulan war? Is the war with the borg, undine, iconians any worse? Thousands upon thousands of people have/are dying in these wars but we discuss them, and do foundry missions because of them as well.

If you say they're not the same then you're not looking at this objectively.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drploof
Aug 11, 2014

.o0O0o.Wire-Bender.o0O0o.

Darksaber posted:

Hey now, Mulgrew gets work doing voiceovers for questionable documentaries!

She also plays a prison chef on Netflix's "Orange is the New Black"

• Locked thread