Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sphinx's Rev isn't an unfair card, but its still not a tremendous design because a Rev for 4 or more is typically too difficult to come back from, but it doesn't really end the game right there. It just kind of unnecessarily lengthens games.

Its not really conducive to players wanting to scoop either. But really you should scoop against U/W whenever they stabilize and you know your hand is not capable of mounting a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I love the kind of deck that wants Sphinx's Revelation, but I won't be sad to see it rotate out (along with Verdict and D-Sphere). I'm ready for control decks to look and feel a little different.

Really that's my objection to this Standard in a nutshell. I don't hate any of the decks, but I'm sick of all of them. I'm looking forward to rotation.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I mostly can't wait until I never have to hear commentators say "revelate" as if that is the verb form of "revelation". Revelation's root word is "reveal", read a book :hitler:

"Cast revelation for ____". There, two extra syllables and you aren't dumb anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I love the kind of deck that wants Sphinx's Revelation, but I won't be sad to see it rotate out (along with Verdict and D-Sphere). I'm ready for control decks to look and feel a little different.

Really that's my objection to this Standard in a nutshell. I don't hate any of the decks, but I'm sick of all of them. I'm looking forward to rotation.

We already have a new d-sphere and there will definitely be a 4 mana wrath in Kahns.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mostly can't wait until I never have to hear commentators say "revelate" as if that is the verb form of "revelation". Revelation's root word is "reveal", read a book :hitler:

"Cast revelation for ____". There, two extra syllables and you aren't dumb anymore.

It makes me think of the song 'John the Revelator'.

mcmagic posted:

We already have a new d-sphere and there will definitely be a 4 mana wrath in Kahns.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
sheesh you guys sure demonize revelation. I lose to jace or elspeth way way more than revelation

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

sheesh you guys sure demonize revelation. I lose to jace or elspeth way way more than revelation

Jace and Elspeth are the cards that kill you, not the card you lose to.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

Except Banishing Light isn't the same as D-Sphere and Verdict isn't the same as a normal Wrath.

D-Sphere still has the old O-Ring wording along side the same-name-clause and Verdict is uncounterable.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
U/W Control owns and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

You know what would be a good card to reprint in a set with siege warfare and feuding clans? Moat. Make it happen Wizards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Counterspells and sweepers aren't fun to play against. Sorry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd love to see a U/x control deck that's holding up mana for Aetherspouts / Jace's Ingenuity instead of Rev.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

It's a powerful deck. It's just not a particularly interesting one, mostly because Revelation has restricted the control shell considerably. The UW deck that took the pro tour was nearly identical to a UW deck a year ago and included zero M15 cards....that says something.

Nothing inherently wrong with the deck, I'm just ready for this particular standard to be over, it's very stale, and control decks are the worst offenders (except maybe mono black).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cernunnos posted:

Except Banishing Light isn't the same as D-Sphere and Verdict isn't the same as a normal Wrath.

D-Sphere still has the old O-Ring wording along side the same-name-clause and Verdict is uncounterable.

Banishing Light is about the same power level as D-Sphere. You make up the fact that you can sometimes hit multiple things with being able to play Banishing light easier and in many more decks. Verdict being uncounterable isn't that relevant. The decks that play counters aren't the decks that verdict is good against. A wrath you can't re-gen from would be more powerful in this current standard than Verdict is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

You know what would be a good card to reprint in a set with siege warfare and feuding clans? Moat. Make it happen Wizards.

It's on the Reserve List.

Bingo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is red ever again getting Radiate-like trickery?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

It's on the Reserve List.

Bingo.

"Trench," then. Make it cost W more and have some minor limitation so that it's not functionally identical, and blammo.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Counterspells and sweepers aren't fun to play against. Sorry.

Yes they are!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Is red ever again getting Radiate-like trickery?

They made it the Boros mechanic in the original Ravnica block and it was pretty lame.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nope. You know what's fun to lose to? The recursive Worldspine Wurm deck I played against at FNM this past week. It was frustrating but still hilarious. Not getting to play the game at all after turn 4 isn't fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nope. You know what's fun to lose to? The recursive Worldspine Wurm deck I played against at FNM this past week. It was frustrating but still hilarious. Not getting to play the game at all after turn 4 isn't fun.

You can't Jilara out a Worldspine out till T5...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah you're gonna have to explain how that happened.

I consistently play Aggro to midrange decks. Just don't mindlessly poop out your hand and you too can win against decks that do nothing but draw cards!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can totally Jalira a wurm on T4. You case Raise the Alarm on T2, cast Jalira T3, then sac a token to start the cycle on T4. Also I wasn't complaining about that because even though it's frustrating, it was still fun to lose to and it was something new and different.

When I said "not getting to play after T4" I meant Verdict or whatever the U/W sweeper of the current cycle is.

And yes I understand the concept of not emptying everything you have against Control but it's still not fun. I shouldn't have to run Boros Charm in every red deck I run just to deal with people who don't want to bother with petty things like creature combat and combat tricks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

They made it the Boros mechanic in the original Ravnica block and it was pretty lame.

I meant more generally wizard type stuff over plain damage and beat down.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

I meant more generally wizard type stuff over plain damage and beat down.

No because :qq: the color pie :qq:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I want final fortune in modern / standard.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

And yes I understand the concept of not emptying everything you have against Control but it's still not fun. I shouldn't have to run Boros Charm in every red deck I run just to deal with people who don't want to bother with petty things like creature combat and combat tricks.

Yes you shouldn't have to run one of many answers to sweepers :rolleyes: you should just play creatures and not have to interact or respond to your opponents spells. C'mon dude.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

E: Wait wrong card nevermind

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Jace and Elspeth are the cards that kill you, not the card you lose to.

nah i'm pretty sure i lost to the +1 that forced me to focus all my attacks on jace for 2 turns, or the armies of chump blockers.

mcmagic posted:

Verdict being uncounterable isn't that relevant. The decks that play counters aren't the decks that verdict is good against. A wrath you can't re-gen from would be more powerful in this current standard than Verdict is.

if wraths are counterable tempo decks feast on control. back in scars-innistraad control was unplayable because delver annihilated them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

You can totally Jalira a wurm on T4. You case Raise the Alarm on T2, cast Jalira T3, then sac a token to start the cycle on T4. Also I wasn't complaining about that because even though it's frustrating, it was still fun to lose to and it was something new and different.

When I said "not getting to play after T4" I meant Verdict or whatever the U/W sweeper of the current cycle is.

Jalira is a 4 drop...

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

mcmagic posted:

Jalira is a 4 drop...

A mana dork in the first two turns means she can come out on turn 3.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Golgari Charm, Rootborn Defenses and Ajani's Presence are all cards y'know. "Countering" their T4 wrath can be backbreaking.

Just don't tap out emptying your hand onto the board when you know a Wrath is probably coming. Even if you don't have the Defenses or whatever, just sandbag some threats. Force them to use the Verdict on on or two creatures and then play something else after they do it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

weird vanilla posted:

A mana dork in the first two turns means she can come out on turn 3.

So U for Jalira, W for Raise the Alarm and G for Dorks? Sounds like you'll hit a wurm T4 about 1% of the time...

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

mcmagic posted:

So U for Jalira, W for Raise the Alarm and G for Dorks? Sounds like you'll hit a wurm T4 about 1% of the time...

With the dork you don't need raise the alarm, although it does mean you can miss on the Jalira activation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, why are you running non-legendary 1/1s in a Jalira deck?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I don't hate playing against it. I love when I beat it and I hate when I lose to it. Just like any other deck.

I don't mind losing to Jace or Elspeth or Aetherling or any of the billion win conditions UW has had for the past 1-2 years, but Rev is a huge enabler and if you aren't running blue or red it's reallllllly difficult to win a game once one has been caught.

As you say, it's awesome to beat those decks, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a really lovely card that shouldn't have been printed as-is. Making it a sorcery would have prevented it from being as degenerate.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's also a really, really bad deck.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

I don't mind losing to Jace or Elspeth or Aetherling or any of the billion win conditions UW has had for the past 1-2 years, but Rev is a huge enabler and if you aren't running blue or red it's reallllllly difficult to win a game once one has been caught.

As you say, it's awesome to beat those decks, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a really lovely card that shouldn't have been printed as-is. Making it a sorcery would have prevented it from being as degenerate.

black devotion and bw midrange can outgrind them or disrupt them, gw aggro has more than enough reach to kill them, monsters has so many must-answer cards that control just runs out of gas against them. burn is burn and mono u is mono u.

the only decks that have a tough time are mono g and constellation variants. control is not nearly the bogeyman you guys make it to be

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

You sound like the guy at my LGS who scoops and concedes the match the second any control player counters any of his spells or plays a rev. He's got himself so psyched out that he's already lost before the match even starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

weird vanilla posted:

With the dork you don't need raise the alarm, although it does mean you can miss on the Jalira activation.

This is why you run Springleaf Drum as your turn 1 mana source and Beckon Apparition/Raise the Alarm as your creatures.

• Locked thread