Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Just finished The Last of Us Remastered for the first time, what a game. If you like single player story-driven games and have never played it before, pick it up ASAP, it's the best game on the PS4 so far. By miles.
I've still got the Left Behind DLC to play.

I played on Hard and the difficulty felt about right, died a lot in a few spots but it never got frustrating, although I did have quite an abundance of weapons and ammo by the end of the game.
The pacing was pretty spot-on too, stealth, frantic action, quiet exploration all linked together nicely, it took me about 16hrs to complete and felt long enough without outstaying it's welcome. I'm pretty much going to buy whatever Naughty Dog release next on Day 1 because these guys are at the top of their craft right now.

Are there any changes in NG+ that make it worth going through?

I was also really impressed by just how closely the final game stuck to the concept art, it was neat for them to include that. I don't know what it looked like last-gen but the Remaster looked and felt good enough that I forgot I was playing a last-gen game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Rayman Legends is a super gorgeous game and its relaxed atmosphere make me not mind my mistakes much, but my newly awakened Trophy hound dislikes how some of them are not exactly indicative of what I'd done in the game or how good I am, namely the beat your friends challenges trophies - the few PSN friends I have don't play those challenges, so the solution is to add random people who do, and I don't want to use people so :saddowns:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From the last page, but every time Killzone comes up people are always like "yeah it sucks but the MP is good" and I have to ask. What about the MP is good? I played it for a while and thought it sucked. Felt like COD if everyone was a bullet sponge.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

NESguerilla posted:

From the last page, but every time Killzone comes up people are always like "yeah it sucks but the MP is good" and I have to ask. What about the MP is good? I played it for a while and thought it sucked. Felt like COD if everyone was a bullet sponge.

Yeah Killzone is major loose butthole for multiplayer. It feels so heavy and slow, as well as the mentioned damage taking issue.

I got bored of it in less than a week.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Killzone MP is dogpiss. As a franchise, Killzone is just a try-hard wanna-be Halo without many of its own ideas. Killzone 3 was pretty good, though.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The PSP Killzone.. Liberation? was pretty great and had amazing multiplayer.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I know a lot of people liked the previous killzone multiplayer modes, but they all felt like grinders to me. It has only gotten worse with each new game.

Also, holy poo poo those bf4 numbers, maybe I should get in on that

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 11, 2014

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Finished Shadowfall at easy, understood what I was doing wrong at the end of chapter 7 I should have entered the bomber instead of trying to take down the helghast dropship and flying drones, those drones are more or less there to say "time ran out". Too bad that Chapter 10 is only a gimmick mission.

Playing with the headset I think that the headset support in the game could be done better, no matter what sometimes the voiceover becomes too feeble and it's too hard to listen to the NPC banter.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm going to make all the MLG lurkers here angry but I feel the slower pace makes it a bit more "accessible" than COD. I still prefer Destiny's multiplayer, but Killzone at least is making me think about UT99. Also I like the missions mode.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
KZ MP is so accessible it seems lazy. There's so much one click mechanics that either save you or even kill people for you. Every game I've played there's usually at least two drones hovering around and no one else seems to bother shooting at them. You can run around invisible straight up to people and kill them instantly. And if someones shooting at you, nevermind trying to find cover, just press a button and not only will you drop a shield that blocks all enemy fire, you can shoot through it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I hope the team that did Killzone on the Vita makes the next PS4 iteration. I actually liked all the Killzones past 1 and Mercenary is easily the best. In my opinion anyways.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I beat Wolfenstein finally, didn't have to turn the difficulty down after all! It was a really positive experience overall. I still think certain weapons were rendered obsolete 90% of the time (assault rifles and shotguns) which is a shame because every weapon is a joy to use. I think the most impressive part of that game is how visceral shooting Nazis is. I never got tired of blowing legs off and seeing them hop around for a second before falling over. It definitely got frustrating at times and wasn't perfect by any means but it is an example of how to do the genre right. Can you even imagine if DNF had been as good as Wolfenstein?

It is a bummer that MAJOR SPOILER: Blascowicz dies at the end though.

Edit: I think I had one weapon slot in the top right open at the end of the game. Did I miss a gun somewhere?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 11, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DriveClub special edition:

quote:

■Foil treated, unique artwork housed in a high-quality card sleeve.
■Instant access to five high performance cars, each with an exclusive livery design: ■McLaren P1
■Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series
■Ferrari 458 Italia
■Aston Martin v12 Vantage S
■Alfa Romeo 4C

■2 exclusive in-game livery packs to customise your car and club logo.
■2 DRIVECLUB emblem vinyl stickers (one white, one red) – perfect for your laptop or games console.

Another tenner to the price and a beautiful piece of cover-art that I could see as a 50x70 poster http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/11/driveclub-special-edition-revealed/?emcid=social_20140811_29502856

Still nothing I would pre-order without getting a feel for its driving model and physics, I'm sure I'm not alone in being that decently picky with racers.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

So I beat Wolfenstein finally, didn't have to turn the difficulty down after all! It was a really positive experience overall. I still think certain weapons were rendered obsolete 90% of the time (assault rifles and shotguns) which is a shame because every weapon is a joy to use. I think the most impressive part of that game is how visceral shooting Nazis is. I never got tired of blowing legs off and seeing them hop around for a second before falling over. It definitely got frustrating at times and wasn't perfect by any means but it is an example of how to do the genre right. Can you even imagine if DNF had been as good as Wolfenstein?

How much did you dual wield? I've been replaying on Uber after doing Death Incarnate and have found it to be significantly easier after fully embracing dual wielding at all times, no questions. The perks carry over and knowing the levels helps too but it's really easy to mow poo poo down when dual wielding. Especially with the shotguns.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DangerKat posted:

How much did you dual wield? I've been replaying on Uber after doing Death Incarnate and have found it to be significantly easier after fully embracing dual wielding at all times, no questions. The perks carry over and knowing the levels helps too but it's really easy to mow poo poo down when dual wielding. Especially with the shotguns.

Oh yeah, dual wielding is definitely the way to go. I just found that getting close enough to use shotguns meant exposing yourself which meant dying pretty quickly. Also I would frequently use them on the heavy enemies and for some reason they could stand up to a ton of shots without going down and then just annihilate me once they got in close.

Regarding the assault rifles I just found them to be useless once you got the laser rifles which were better in pretty much every way.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Once you get that targeting upgrade you just tear through poo poo with them. Almost felt too cheap at times with all the conveniently placed charging stations, but then I stopped being all spergy and just enjoyed the game for what it was.

Haha yeah, at first I was thinking the scope was completely stupid and impossible to use and then I realized it basically aims for you. I think they try and balance it by having it take up a ton of juice when you use the scope but yeah it is crazy powerful.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 11, 2014

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

PantsBandit posted:

Regarding the assault rifles I just found them to be useless once you got the laser rifles which were better in pretty much every way.

Once you get that targeting upgrade you just tear through poo poo with them. Almost felt too cheap at times with all the conveniently placed charging stations, but then I stopped being all spergy and just enjoyed the game for what it was.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

The Share button has been working flawlessly for me ever since the 1.75 patch, I've noticed. And the Share factory update has made it pretty easy to assemble clips together. All it needs is more gaudy intros and transitions.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

timeandtide posted:

Reminder that we get two free games a month, so if you only got Fez or Road Not Taken, you need to grab the other one.

Yes, you should play Last of Us - buy it if you like third person multiplayer that involves group tactics at all or like to replay single player content a lot, maybe rent it if you only do single player once (it's like 20 hours plus a 2 hour story DLC.)

It's summer, so it's been quiet beyond downloadable titles, but if any of these sound interesting to you they are what the thread has been playing: Sniper Elite 3, Valiant Hearts, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, Gucamelee, and Oddworld.

Also, we all played the Destiny beta which you may have missed (it was free to everyone with PS+ for two days no matter if they preordered or not.)

Sales-wise, we had a great superhero sale (Injustice and Lego Marvel for $8 each) and there's a deal going on where a wave of four indie games get 20% off if you preorder plus $3-10 PSN credit depending on how many you buy.

In terms of what's coming out, in August there are two cool indie games (Hohokum and CounterSpy), Metro Redux, inFamous First Light, Diablo 3, and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Thanks man! I'll grab fez, and go get a physical copy of Last of us.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Hotline Miami PS4 edition is now dated for August 19th.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mustang posted:

Are there a lot of people that play BF4 on PS4?

I was actually considering trading my Battlefield 4 copy in for the Gamestop PS4 trade promo, since I'd not played it much at all since the super buggy launch. Then I popped it in late saturday night just to check it out again and looked at the clock after 4 straight hours of conquest with no crashes or issues of any kind.

PS4 Battlefield 4 is amazing now, and there were seemingly hundreds of totally packed servers.

Also, I'm not very good at Battlefield 4. I'm currently rocking a .58 K:D ratio :(. Maybe if I just unlocked a few more things.... In 64 player conquest there are just so many times when I get mowed down before even seeing my shooter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Substandard posted:

I was actually considering trading my Battlefield 4 copy in for the Gamestop PS4 trade promo, since I'd not played it much at all since the super buggy launch. Then I popped it in late saturday night just to check it out again and looked at the clock after 4 straight hours of conquest with no crashes or issues of any kind.

PS4 Battlefield 4 is amazing now, and there were seemingly hundreds of totally packed servers.

Also, I'm not very good at Battlefield 4. I'm currently rocking a .58 K:D ratio :(. Maybe if I just unlocked a few more things.... In 64 player conquest there are just so many times when I get mowed down before even seeing my shooter.

Play with goons if you aren't already. The PS4 goon community is extremely active and the game is way better and less frustrating when you are in a squad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mustang posted:

Are there a lot of people that play BF4 on PS4?

It's consistently been the most populated version, ahead of the PS3 and PC versions.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It took me ages until I found a setup & class that clicked with how I play. I kept getting mowed down in conquest without seeing poo poo until I used a FLIR scope, now I've quadrupled my SPM to 800~ and there's still room for improvement. My biggest issue is that I can't see poo poo, so the IR scope really helped. Unlocking all the different launchers on my engineer helped a ton too.

PantsBandit posted:

Play with goons if you aren't already. The PS4 goon community is extremely active and the game is way better and less frustrating when you are in a squad.

I really need to do this. I'm massively squad-oriented and only about a tenth of the players in my squad actually do squad stuff. Do you have a link for the goon community?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It took me ages until I found a setup & class that clicked with how I play. I kept getting mowed down in conquest without seeing poo poo until I used a FLIR scope, now I've quadrupled my SPM to 800~ and there's still room for improvement. My biggest issue is that I can't see poo poo, so the IR scope really helped. Unlocking all the different launchers on my engineer helped a ton too.

I really need to do this. I'm massively squad-oriented and only about a tenth of the players in my squad actually do squad stuff. Do you have a link for the goon community?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590898 is the thread. There's resources in the OP for finding people.

VVV Don't worry about joining the group. Just find some active players on the bf4goons site and add them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 11, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh looks like I already applied. I remember applying a week ago in fact, but no response ever came of it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any word on Helldivers release date? All I can find is a generic "2014" release.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
The HDD that has been recommended for upgrading to 2tb is on sale for $99 at amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTTIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2O5EYMJUP9NFC&coliid=I2BHZ2JKCYTQXE&psc=1

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

PantsBandit posted:

It is a bummer that MAJOR SPOILER: Blascowicz dies at the end though.
That is actually left up to interpretation if you listen all the way to the end credits and the developers kind of hint at it in interviews.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Finished Infamous this weekend. The video power was pretty neat and by far my favorite to use, though I felt like during the ending sequence smoke was forced on you as it had become obsolete by then which was a tad annoying. Overall a pretty drat fun and gorgeous game, definitely on the short side but I can't say I'd want it to be any longer. I played evil karma and I'm considering a good playthrough, but it's getting a break for now.

Anyway, on to Transistor. I think I remember why I put this down originally - the narrator just isn't quite doing it for me.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I finally finished the evil side and got the platinum of Infamous last night and people weren't kidding that the evil ending is messed up. I already preordered First Light on PSN a couple weeks ago so I'll be looking forward to that in 2 weeks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

cronox2 posted:

I finally finished the evil side and got the platinum of Infamous last night and people weren't kidding that the evil ending is messed up. I already preordered First Light on PSN a couple weeks ago so I'll be looking forward to that in 2 weeks.

Care to spoil the good ending for me? I had some... ideas how it'd be different but was curious.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Space Racist posted:

Care to spoil the good ending for me? I had some... ideas how it'd be different but was curious.

Delsin imprisons Augustine in concrete, resolves to set free everyone in Curden Cay, and returns home to heal all his loved ones starting with Betty, who has a very sweet moment with him and says that he's made her extremely proud. She asks what happened to his brother, and he says "He saved me..." The last image is of Delsin fixing the vandalized poster of his brother. Delsin and his two friends are also pretty much celebrity heroes now because they're seen as liberators freeing the city from superpowered government oppressors, giving lie to Augustine's insistance that conduits would always be feared by normals.

The main difference between Good Delsin and Evil Delsin is...subtle, since mostly they talk the same, but the big difference is this: Evil Delsin is basically a wannabe superstar with a sense of entitlement, while Good Delsin is a showoff who eventually becomes an actual superstar.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 11, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why can't my PS4 see a 5Ghz wireless signal when my 6 year old 360 wireless adaptor can? :mad:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Difficult to interpret a 5Ghz signal when you don't have a 5Ghz radio.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kirios posted:

Difficult to interpret a 5Ghz signal when you don't have a 5Ghz radio.

I think the point was more that it's annoying that the PS4 doesn't have a 5GHz radio in it. Pretty much all new consumer electronics that have wifi at all will do 5GHz at this point, so why did Sony leave that out?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh, I completely agree - I was being snarky to Sony, not Sakurazuka.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Arcsech posted:

I think the point was more that it's annoying that the PS4 doesn't have a 5GHz radio in it. Pretty much all new consumer electronics that have wifi at all will do 5GHz at this point, so why did Sony leave that out?

Yep, really shortsighted decision on their part, IMO.

On the other hand, now they can sell the PS4 slim with "wifi that doesn't suck!".

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
You guys DON'T have a gigabit switch mounted behind your TV stand?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Son I run a CISCO shop in my house - if you aren't running everything through an ASA then I don't want to live in your crazy world.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Project CARS just announced a limited edition set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lm5Y5n6spU

And the regular version of the game is going for 49.99 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Project-CARS-PlayStation-4/dp/B00LYYN5W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407779731&sr=8-1&keywords=project+cars

PCARS is the game I'm looking forward to the most this year. It's looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Yep, really shortsighted decision on their part, IMO.

On the other hand, now they can sell the PS4 slim with "wifi that doesn't suck!".
They'd have to wait at least six months from the Destiny bundle release to not royally piss off consumers, but it will definitely be a selling point.

That and HDD space - or going with an SSD.

• Locked thread