Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I brought this up in IRC; the Trevor Project is fantastic, but I want to donate to LGBT causes somewhere like Russia or Uganda. Anyone know of any reliable charities for that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Basically if someone has hangups about good drow or dual-wielding rangers or whatever you know that they're the sort of person who'll get shirty about dragonborn or tieflings or warforged or any D&D party that isn't two or more humans, one dwarf, one elf, a halfling, and maybe something as exotic as a half-orc (maybe).
I actually banned Tieflings and Dragonborn at the start of my 4e campaign, and I stand by that, because when (as I had intended) weird pcs started turning up later on, it gave them more of an impact. The first dragonborn in the campaign was played in a one-shot, and was (seen by the human locals as) this terrifying freakish monster that they called The Krakken, who was kept in chains until they needed him to kill something even bigger than he was. To say nothing of the mysterious Dog-men of the West.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"What...what is that terrifying mysterious abomination?!"

"Looks like some kind of dragon-person."

"Oh, okay then."

I can imagine games where dragon-people showing up might be a big huge shocking thing, but D&D, home of the owlbear, is not one of them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

I really liked the Forgotten Realms for a while, when I was into D&D3. I bought nearly all the books, including some old box sets. This was one of the steps on my journey to getting really tired of books packed to the brim with minute details about poo poo that probably 99% of gamers never actually use even if they like to read it.

And then you started writing for Exalted. :nyoron:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reene posted:

How many always or almost always evil races are also matriarchal in this setting?

In the FR?

Drow, stingers, gray orcs, driders, chitines/choldriths, maybe kuo-toa with a few moments of thinking.

This isn't counting stuff like lizard queen-dominated lizard folk tribes where it's roughly a 50/50 split and up to the DM.

Oh, and fey'ri.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

I brought this up in IRC; the Trevor Project is fantastic, but I want to donate to LGBT causes somewhere like Russia or Uganda. Anyone know of any reliable charities for that sort of thing?

Ask Mormon Star Wars. It's not QUITE what you were looking for but he had a lead on something just as cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A better question is how many of the matriarchal societies, good or evil, are chaotic because a woman president violates the laws of nature (dwarves, replace "nature" with Moradin)?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus, how did I miss this thread all month?

I also kicked the same amount (but in real money) to http://www.equality-network.org/ as they're local to me. No screen cap, had to donate by text because their web-donate form's falling over.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Possibly relevant to the interests of various folks here - someone's doing a 13th Age/Glorantha mashup:

http://www.13thageinglorantha.com/

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Found some of the quotes from one of the deleted blogs about our beloved new mod:

quote:

He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

quote:

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Zak, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Ettin. He piled upon the mod's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I reshared the FailForward article as much as I could, so I guess I qualify for Zak's lovely little game. Thus, donation! I'd been feeling bad recently about getting angry on the internet rather than actually doing anything constructive, so I'm glad someone had this idea.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

"What...what is that terrifying mysterious abomination?!"

"Looks like some kind of dragon-person."

"Oh, okay then."

I can imagine games where dragon-people showing up might be a big huge shocking thing, but D&D, home of the owlbear, is not one of them.
In the same game, the heroes were initially called the Dragonslayers because they killed a giant river-lizard.
Setting, chararacters, concepts are what you make of them, and the fantastic becomes mundane without contrast. That's not the game's fault.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 11, 2014

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I missed what Fail Forward is, but I'm up for donating to the Trevor Project for reasons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I went and looked up the Trevor Project at CharityNavigator; it's got four stars for accountability and transparency as well as how they handle their finances.

Some other four-star charities in related fields: Lambda Legal, Human Rights Campaign, and Equality Now. The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission might also be of interest -- I recall someone asking about helping internationally -- but it only has 3 stars. I'm not sure why that is; its financials look about as good as the other ones I listed here.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

Our very own Jenx is doing all the art for Prince of Sartar:

i suspect this may be relevant to some folks' interests here

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I've totally just bought a new house so I'm out of cash, but I'm going to put the Trevor Project on my charities list and donate as soon as I can.

Zak S makes me so drat mad. You're making it harder for people to accept the idea that Ye Olde D&Ders like me can be chill as hell and not uptight about stupid poo poo. And you're also just a loving rear end. Go pound sand.

JDCorley posted:

So I wasn't around when the thread started. I, like the other Elminster av guy, like the Forgotten Realms quite a bit. I haven't actually run into The Realms Fan (tm) as a problem when I run my games, nor do I really read the novels (fantasy novels are boring, read good novels instead okay?) I think the thing I like most about FR (and Greyhawk actually) is they really tie in closely to "the D&D experience" - journeys to weird places, tons of dungeons, and so on, and it adds in something few other settings do: a core reason to be an adventurer.

In Greyhawk maybe you become an adventurer because you were a soldier and now you want to seek your fortune, or you're a wizard and you want to find a magic scroll of whatever. Or maybe not, there's no real adventuring motivation built into Greyhawk. But in the Forgotten Realms, you become an adventurer in hopes of becoming rich and famous and getting to bang divine beings and become literally the most important person in the world. Once you look at FR adventuring as being the faux-medieval version of reality TV, Elminster, the other high level NPCs, and the way the world is constructed makes perfect sense. Of course the world is insanely huge, that's because you need to go far away enough from home that you can exaggerate your exploits when you return and not be easily disproved, and also because once you become famous in one area, but blow through all your money buying drugs and having parties, you need to go to some other distant area and become famous there too. Not only should DMs permit "special snowflake" characters like Drizzt at the table, they should send you back to the drawing board until you come up with one.

Like reality TV, it can be played straight or for laughs - most of the time the modules play it straight, but there are times when it's definitely for laughs.

Anyway, FR is good, play more D&D in the Forgotten Realms. What's Planescape for anyway?

Don't read poo poo fantasy yeah, read like, Michael Swanwick or Patricia McKillip or Kelly Link instead. I guess I'll be That Guy but Not All Fantasy Is Like That™

Also I view the Forgotten Realms like the mainstream superhero comics of D&D. A lot of it is really cool, but a lot of it is also really terrible. You just have to pick and choose what you're going to care about.

This is a good summary of what makes the Realms unique - the answer to the "Why not homebrew? Why not any other generic world?" question. Thanks, JD

Kai Tave posted:

I never really felt any strong affection for the Forgotten Realms, and as a gaming setting it leaves me kind of cold, but after years and years of seeing people flip out over people wanting to play good drow or Drizzt clones I have to admit that I like it just for providing a basic litmus test as to whether or not someone's going to be insufferable to game with; do they sigh, theatrically roll their eyes, and/or go on a longwinded spiel about Drizzt every time someone wants to play or mentions drow? If the answer is yes then you should probably find someone else to game with.

Seems to me most of the MAD @ HELL @ DRIZZT people are those who were in their 20s in the 90s still being mad at young teenagers of the time, and typing SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE unironically.

Tollymain posted:

i suspect this may be relevant to some folks' interests here

potatocubed posted:

Possibly relevant to the interests of various folks here - someone's doing a 13th Age/Glorantha mashup:

http://www.13thageinglorantha.com/

Dear god thank you

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

One more for the pile.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
This is the most dumbass Xanatos Gambit I've ever heard of

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
So uh, what's the total up to now for goons who have donated?

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

I'm a pigfucker who posted Zak and the Dongion in grogs.txt

I wonder if Mike Mearls' feelings about this have changed now that Zak is becoming more unhinged?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There were people in ENWorld who thought 5e having a half-orc paladin picture was WotC going too far and succumbing to POLITICAL CORRECTNESS so like

gently caress 'em.

Ah yes. The powerful half-orc lobby.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

This post is on topic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kai Tave posted:

Basically if someone has hangups about good drow or dual-wielding rangers or whatever you know that they're the sort of person who'll get shirty about dragonborn or tieflings or warforged or any D&D party that isn't two or more humans, one dwarf, one elf, a halfling, and maybe something as exotic as a half-orc (maybe).

those humans/dwarf/elf/halfling better be white, too, because

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well the total has exceeded Zak's promise of 1000 dollars (if you follow all his rules and he doesn't rules-lawyer up a reason for why he doesn't have to donate), so that's decent.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tollymain posted:

those humans/dwarf/elf/halfling better be white, too, because

Still chuckling over that one dude on ENWorld who was all "next thing you know there'll be colored dwarves, chinese halflings and elves in wheelchairs; and then D&D will be destroyed!"

Good times, good times

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rasamune posted:

Still chuckling over that one dude on ENWorld who was all "next thing you know there'll be colored dwarves, chinese halflings and elves in wheelchairs; and then D&D will be destroyed!"

Good times, good times

Ah poo poo, I didn't put an elf in a wheelchair in Fellowship, brb contacting my artists.

EDIT: I haven't talked about it much, but here's official art I already have finished and in my next book:

The Dwarf
The Halfling

So the fact those specific two examples line up so well is making me laugh a lot.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 11, 2014

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I threw in $20 to the Trevor Project, but unfortunately I did so from a computer that has no image editing software installed on it.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Rasamune posted:

Good times, good times
This just in: D&D fanatic reveals that D&D is incredibly fragile and could very easily be destroyed.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gnome7 posted:

Ah poo poo, I didn't put an elf in a wheelchair in Fellowship, brb contacting my artists.

EDIT: I haven't talked about it much, but here's official art I already have finished and in my next book:

The Dwarf
The Halfling

So the fact those specific two examples line up so well is making me laugh a lot.

I remember a similar situation coming up with my original Halfling cover, some dude going super mad at exactly the time I'd already picked the cover I wanted. I'll leave what they were mad about as an exercise to the reader:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rasamune posted:

colored dwarves

Uhhh so just to be clear somebody that paranoid about the destruction of the D&D game is aware that Duergar and Gold Dwarves have been around for like 30 years right

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

gnome7 posted:

The Dwarf
The Halfling

I'm the dragon-face belt buckle poking the black dwarf's nipples

These are cute as gently caress; who're they by?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Does anyone know if Zak has actually donated anything yet or has he rules-lawyered been a loving coward about the whole thing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know what gold dwarves are but they sound like an even more insane jew allegory stereotype

is allegory the right word? i don't know, my head feels like i ate my pillow through my ear last night

e: stereotype is the word i'm looking for

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 11, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

The Halfling

This halfling is about to gently caress you up.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tollymain posted:

i don't know what gold dwarves are but they sound like an even more insane jew allegory

FR's pet name for hill dwarves in the same way they have moon elves and poo poo, and for example this is what they look like in the 3E FR book

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Spincut posted:

Does anyone know if Zak has actually donated anything yet or has he rules-lawyered been a loving coward about the whole thing?

Give you two guesses, you'll only need one.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Error 404 posted:

Give you two guesses, you'll only need one.

Go figure!

I'll be donating $20 to the Trevor Project when I get home from work, and I'll post up my confirmation when I do.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rasamune posted:

I'm the dragon-face belt buckle poking the black dwarf's nipples

These are cute as gently caress; who're they by?

They're by Hans Heisler, internet name Clove. They're basically the best artist I've ever worked with and they're also doing work for Golden Sky Stories right now. You can find their art here: http://cloveochai.tumblr.com/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i must say that's some pretty ballin art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Rasamune posted:

Good times, good times

I don't know why that guy was complaining, wheelchairs have existed for thousands of years, though having one that's more focused to you than a cart often meant you were either mechanically adept enough to fashion one yourself (as with German watchmaker Stephan Farffler) or were wealthy enough that someone would make one for you (King Philip II of Spain's chronic gout meant that he was pushed around in one later in life). Of course, when wheelchairs were rare, wheelchair accessibility was also rare so it made life harder. Stuff like mass-production, collapsible wheelchairs, ultralight materials and motorized wheelchairs didn't get into production until the late 19th and early-to-mid 20th century, but if your game world has tinkerers, alchemists and literal magic there's tons of interesting things you can do.

• Locked thread