Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

tankadillo posted:

I just imagined it as a button on itunes that appears when your phone is playing music, and pushing it pauses the phone and plays the music in itunes. Basically it would just do what I do manually when I get home and want to keep listening to my music. Doesn't seem that complicated to me, but maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

If I want to keep listening to whatever I had playing when I get home, I just turn on my TV and hit the AirPlay button when I connect the phone to the dock or charger. Granted, you need an AppleTV for that.

Bamabalacha fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If there was more fluid syncing from iTunes to iOS and iPod devices, I for one would love it too. This would mean I would listen to my music as albums. The whole reason I don't right now is because I could start one album on one device, and then I'll go home and it will resume where I was last when I was listening on that computer. So I just stick everything on shuffle so that it's not like I'm breaking the flow of an album.

crazysim posted:

I am pleased to announce and confirm that this works for Chrome Beta on OS X on Mountain Lion. HTML5 Netflix! Non-discrete graphics card rendering on Discrete/Integrated GPU MacBooks. Retina interface and (maybe) content for Netflix for Retina MacBook users! Longer battery life! Silverlight plugin no longer required. Go ahead and uninstall that poo poo as it's pretty much only Netflix that ever wanted that. Reduce that attack surface!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/netflix-linux-html5-support-plugins

Use the user agent and chrome extension in here.

Make sure in chrome:flags that

1. "Disable prefixed Encrypted Media Extensions." is grey
2. "Enable Encrypted Media Extensions." is white

You have me on board just because of your choice in movies for the example.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

ineptmule posted:

The iTunes on my work MacBook (2011 MBP) has this hugely irritating bug where the audio drops out every now and then for about 5-20 seconds. The song progress pauses while the dropouts occur, and audio played through other software seems to be unaffected. My personal MBP (almost the same exact model) doesn't have this problem at all. I've tried updating iTunes but it hasn't gone away.

I've googled this a bit and there seems to be a lot of shoulder shrugging with no explanation or fix suggested. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some key resource somewhere due to searching for the wrong thing.

Are you using the built-in speakers or something connected to the headphone port? If it's the latter then it may be thinking the connection has come out which will pause the music.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Bamabalacha posted:

If I want to keep listening to whatever I had playing when I get home, I just turn on my TV and hit the AirPlay button when I connect the phone to the dock or charger. Granted, you need an AppleTV for that.

I want the ability to airplay to an iOS device without having to use third party software. I have my iPod touch sitting on a Bose sounddock and to use it as a speaker, I have to install Airfoil. That's poo poo and I know Apple's restricting this usage intentionally.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend blu-ray playback software for Macs?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Luceo posted:

I want the ability to airplay to an iOS device without having to use third party software. I have my iPod touch sitting on a Bose sounddock and to use it as a speaker, I have to install Airfoil. That's poo poo and I know Apple's restricting this usage intentionally.

Wait, what? If I plug any device into my dock, it comes out of the speakers on the dock automatically. That's been the case with every iOS device and dock I've had going back 6 years. Unless you're talking about streaming from another device to the iPod, but I don't know why you'd do that?

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Bamabalacha posted:

Wait, what? If I plug any device into my dock, it comes out of the speakers on the dock automatically. That's been the case with every iOS device and dock I've had going back 6 years. Unless you're talking about streaming from another device to the iPod, but I don't know why you'd do that?

To play something from another iOS device, like an iPad?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Bamabalacha posted:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's useful to send music from my Mac to the iPod which may be in another room, or outside by the pool, or whatever, I personally think this use case is quite obvious.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Mac BluRay Player works for me, and it also works for most other media files since it's built on VLC. Only downside is that it's $40 per device, so if you have an external bluray drive and use it with multiple machines, it's $40 per machine.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Luceo posted:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's useful to send music from my Mac to the iPod which may be in another room, or outside by the pool, or whatever, I personally think this use case is quite obvious.

Clearly what you are supposed to do is buy a bunch of airplay speakers or airport expresses to airplay to.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

If you're looking for a free solution you can use MakeMKV with VLC to play blurays. Here's how to do it. Also, here's the free monthly beta serial for it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Clearly what you are supposed to do is buy a bunch of airplay speakers or airport expresses to airplay to.

Exactly why I'm pretty sure Apple is intentionally hobbling the functionality.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there an easy way to toggle DND mode in Yosemite? Basically, I just want to be able to toggle not getting toast notifications or sounds for any reason whatsoever.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's Option-Click the notification button in the menu bar, at least in Mavericks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

carry on then posted:

It's Option-Click the notification button in the menu bar, at least in Mavericks.

Also in Yosemite; just tried it.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Also, if you scroll up in Notification Center, there is a switch at the top.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

I tested this on Mavericks... Option-Click will enable/disable DND, then a click into the Notification Centre will actually show you what's going on. Easiest way to get used to it is to have Notification Centre open while Option-Clicking the loving icon.

Weird. No offense but how does Apple expect Grandma to figure that poo poo out? Furthest thing from intuitive...

edit: You have to turn it on first by option-click, THEN you can bring up Notification Centre and THEN you can option-click it again to turn it off/on/etc. If you start with it off, it won't work. This is such a hamfisted feature.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

I tested this on Mavericks... Option-Click will enable/disable DND, then a click into the Notification Centre will actually show you what's going on. Easiest way to get used to it is to have Notification Centre open while Option-Clicking the loving icon.

Weird. No offense but how does Apple expect Grandma to figure that poo poo out? Furthest thing from intuitive...

edit: You have to turn it on first by option-click, THEN you can bring up Notification Centre and THEN you can option-click it again to turn it off/on/etc. If you start with it off, it won't work. This is such a hamfisted feature.

The scroll up for DND is considered the Grandma move. Anything that uses the "option" modifier is considered advanced, such as choosing iPhoto Libraries, getting more detail from menu bar panes, etc.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pivo posted:

What? You are way overthinking this.

Option click the icon. It dims, you are now in DND. When you are done, Option click it again and it becomes black again. You are no longer in DND. Just a small shortcut for those who know about option clicking things.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 12, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Pivo posted:

I tested this on Mavericks... Option-Click will enable/disable DND, then a click into the Notification Centre will actually show you what's going on.
The icon greying out shows you what's going on.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fun fact: in Yosemite DP5, the switch is gone, and the explanatory text in System Preferences says "Turn on Do Not Disturbed in <to be determined>." So Option-click is currently the only way, I think, aside from setting up an automatic time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CygnusTM posted:

The icon greying out shows you what's going on.

Honestly did not even see that it changed. I'm always on the lowest brightness so poo poo like that doesn't pop, oops.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Neurophonic posted:

Are you using the built-in speakers or something connected to the headphone port? If it's the latter then it may be thinking the connection has come out which will pause the music.

I'm always using headphones because I'm in the office... I hadn't thought of that. I'll try cranking out some tunes when everyone else has gone home.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ineptmule posted:

I'm always using headphones because I'm in the office... I hadn't thought of that. I'll try cranking out some tunes when everyone else has gone home.

My iMac and rMBP must be broken, my iPhone does this but the Macs do not.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Luceo posted:

Exactly why I'm pretty sure Apple is intentionally hobbling the functionality.

Probably, or they feel like it will confuse people. What I've done is just bought a few used AirPort Express on Craigslist and wired them into speakers with an AUX in. I think docks are kind of going the way of the dodo. Or at least I think it makes more sense to own a bunch of airplay enabled speakers and just stream to them with whatever device I have in my hands.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone have experience with this app? http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Eight Is Legend posted:

I got it in a MacHeist bundle or something a year or two ago. It's pretty good for cleaning up caches, logs, and unneeded language files, as well as uninstalling apps and finding large files to remove. The UI is really nice too.

I don't know that I'd pay $40 for it though. Between the $13 AppZapper and free Disk Inventory X, you can duplicate a lot of the functionality pretty cheaply. If $40 isn't a big deal to you or you're desperate to reclaim as much space as possible, it's probably worth it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is there a way on OS X for the iMessages unread count to exist somewhere else other than the dock icon for Messages.app? I've got my dock hidden, and the only reason I ever look at it at all is for that info. I wish it could be in the menu bar.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Eight Is Legend posted:

I make my mom run it every time she runs out of space on her MacBook Air. It's an effective idiot-proof first pass tool at freeing up space.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I split my hard drive into 2 partitions when I installed Yosemite so that I could keep my Mavericks install if I needed it. Now I do need it to run some software, but it doesn't show up in the boot list. The partition shows up in finder under Yosemite but will not boot. I can access files in it, so I know it's still there. Any clue on what I need to do to make it bootable?

Here's how the disks show up in Disk Utility:

MBP is my Mavericks partition. I'm assuming the problem is that it's under the MBP2 disk?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

I split my hard drive into 2 partitions when I installed Yosemite so that I could keep my Mavericks install if I needed it. Now I do need it to run some software, but it doesn't show up in the boot list. The partition shows up in finder under Yosemite but will not boot. I can access files in it, so I know it's still there. Any clue on what I need to do to make it bootable?

Here's how the disks show up in Disk Utility:

MBP is my Mavericks partition. I'm assuming the problem is that it's under the MBP2 disk?

It's something to do with the Yosemite installer, it happened to me too. It appears as though after installing Yosemite to an external disk or partition, the installer has trouble quitting then just gets stuck.

Boot to Yosemite, go to system preference>startup manager and select your mavericks disk from there. This should fix the issue and it should work like normal from now on.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kingnothing posted:

It's something to do with the Yosemite installer, it happened to me too. It appears as though after installing Yosemite to an external disk or partition, the installer has trouble quitting then just gets stuck.

Boot to Yosemite, go to system preference>startup manager and select your mavericks disk from there. This should fix the issue and it should work like normal from now on.

Perfect, thanks a lot!

e: also as a follow up, when I try to install something but Yosemite says it's broken, that's because the software hasn't gotten an update to work with Yosemite right? I tried with LightTable earlier and that's what I got.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 14, 2014

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Quick question: Does Time Machine use up a whole drive/partition or can I throw other stuff on it too

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Quick question: Does Time Machine use up a whole drive/partition or can I throw other stuff on it too

It will use the whole drive or partition if you let it.

EDIT: TM doesn't block you from putting other things on the volume if you want, but Time Machine will want to use all the space it can get.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

NeuralSpark posted:

It will use the whole drive or partition if you let it.

EDIT: TM doesn't block you from putting other things on the volume if you want, but Time Machine will want to use all the space it can get.

So I could partition an external drive and it will use that just fine?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

The Milkman posted:

So I could partition an external drive and it will use that just fine?

making two partitions would be a way to set aside some space that time machine won't expand into, yes. But if you put stuff into the tm partition before it uses it up, that's fine too.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
1password vs lastpass vs keepass vs ??

I find the interface friction for maintaining my keepass vault too high.

What I want is something like 1password that lets me use my own webdav for syncing. Anything like that?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
1Password lets you put your data wherever. Using iCloud or Dropbox is optional.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

wolffenstein posted:

1Password lets you put your data wherever. Using iCloud or Dropbox is optional.

If you want it to sync with iOS it's kind of a pain if you don't use Dropbox or iCloud though. You have to use their Wifi Sync, which only syncs when you're on the same network as the PC and only when you've activated Wifi Sync mode or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My late 2011 13" MBP is getting really sluggish these days. Is it worth me running some kind of software to see if it's bloated with malware? I can't imagine that that would be the problem but I can't think of anything else that might be slowing it down...