Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Hey just got a Wii U and loving it so far.

I'm in the UK though, can someone tell me what this "premium network" thing is? The leaflet didn't really explain it. Has linking my Wii U Premium to my NNID or something? Are rewards something I can only see on my browser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dramicus posted:

Holy crap, I didn't know about this until now. Had to do a google search and turns out I have over 1000 points.

Why doesn't Nintendo integrate this stuff into the store?

The more people not getting free money, the more money Nintendo could be making.

EDIT: or Nintendo just sucks at online stuff.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

PoshAlligator posted:

Hey just got a Wii U and loving it so far.

I'm in the UK though, can someone tell me what this "premium network" thing is? The leaflet didn't really explain it. Has linking my Wii U Premium to my NNID or something? Are rewards something I can only see on my browser?

https://ddp.nintendo.com

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Same reason you dont just have one nintendo store login for every system. Because nintendo is bad at everything other companies have had down to a science for generations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What are the chances of Pikmen going on sale any time soon? I'm wondering whether to use my free money on it as a sort of discount, or whether to just pick something else up for free.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

What are the chances of Pikmen going on sale any time soon? I'm wondering whether to use my free money on it as a sort of discount, or whether to just pick something else up for free.

Oh man, like no recent first party games ever go on a universal sale, really. Places like Best Buy, Target, and Toys R' Us do have periodic sales on Wii U and 3DS games that are either straight discounts or B1G1 sales, so you could wait for one of those.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dramicus posted:

Don't do that. Find someone who used their MK8 promo but hasn't chosen a game and get Pikmin 3 for like $15 - $20.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man, like no recent first party games ever go on a universal sale, really. Places like Best Buy, Target, and Toys R' Us do have periodic sales on Wii U and 3DS games that are either straight discounts or B1G1 sales, so you could wait for one of those.

I figured this would be the case, it's not like Nintendo has a need to put their first party games on sale.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Dramicus posted:

I would take a chance at requesting in this thread

I got NSMBU when I bought MK8 and used that thread to buy Wind Waker and Pikmen at much cheaper prices. Bonus is that those download codes count for the digital promotion, so you automatically get $5 back in eshop money when you redeem the code.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kinda feel like buying a new WiiU game. Leaning towards Super Mario 3D World, downloading the W101 demo in a last ditch effort to make myself interested in that game. Any other games work well in short bursts running typically off the gamepad only?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dramicus posted:

Oh nevermind

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Kinda feel like buying a new WiiU game. Leaning towards Super Mario 3D World, downloading the W101 demo in a last ditch effort to make myself interested in that game. Any other games work well in short bursts running typically off the gamepad only?

If you want gamepad only, don't get Wonderful 101. Super Mario 3D World is a much safer bet and is more universally enjoyable. 3D World should be a part of everyone's Wii U library. :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

Mario 3D World seems like your best bet. It can be played entirely on the gamepad

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario 3D World or Shovel Knight would fit the bill nicely, or NES Remix.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

NES Remix 1 + 2

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I already have Shovel Knight on 3DS. :v:

Most likely Mario 3D World then. I looked at NES Remix 2 very briefly and it seemed interesting but I'm not sure just how content there is to it. Let's say I'm a perfectionist and want to 100% it. Roughly how long would that take me?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I already have Shovel Knight on 3DS. :v:

Most likely Mario 3D World then. I looked at NES Remix 2 very briefly and it seemed interesting but I'm not sure just how content there is to it. Let's say I'm a perfectionist and want to 100% it. Roughly how long would that take me?
It'll take you a couple of hours to unlock all the games and remixes. Getting three stars on all the levels might take a little bit longer. If you truly a crazy perfectionist, then you can drive yourself insane trying to get rainbow stars.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Quick question, which Street Fighter II game should I grab off of VC?

There are three and all I want is to play some classic Street Fighter like I remembered playing 20 years ago.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

If you truly a crazy perfectionist, then you can drive yourself insane trying to get rainbow stars.
Depends on how much I like a game. If I enjoy it, I like having an excuse to keep playing it and getting better.

You should have seen me play Trauma Center: Under the Knife.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

There are three and all I want is to play some classic Street Fighter like I remembered playing 20 years ago.
I'm guessing you either played Turbo or Super, those are the ones that people feel strongly about. Turbo was the one where you could adjust the game speed and that's real fun, but Super is where they added T. Hawk, Cammy, Deejay, and Fei Long. If you don't really have a preference, get Super because its newer and generally a little better.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

homeless snail posted:

It'll take you a couple of hours to unlock all the games and remixes. Getting three stars on all the levels might take a little bit longer. If you truly a crazy perfectionist, then you can drive yourself insane trying to get rainbow stars.

I have played for 3.5 hours and if there isn't anything else to open, I've only played 75 of the 139 levels I have unlocked. That's 3 stars in all of them and rainbow in about half (but those are the easy rainbows, I haven't replayed any levels intending to get rainbows). It's quite a bit more extensive than I thought it was going to be.

Edit: It turns out there are 169 levels, so I still have stuff to unlock.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 11, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Super SF2 was the last version published on the SNES (but not the last version of SF2 to reach arcades), so like homeless snail said that's probably your best bet unless you have serious nostalgia for SF2 Turbo. Street Fighter Alpha 2 isn't a great version of the game and is one of the few SNES games with load times, so maybe skip that one.

Of course you could always just buy Ultra Street Fighter 4 which came out on PC just last week. It runs well even on old PCs and has an active community that will likely be around for years to come.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Get Turbo, unless you care about the new characters. The game runs worse in the other versions and the music isn't as good.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart and Wii Sports for the folks. And a princess peach wiimote.

gently caress everything. :colbert:

E: I forgot to get Pikmin please kill me.

Meowjesty fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Meowjesty posted:

I just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart and Wii Sports for the folks. And a princess peach wiimote.

gently caress everything. :colbert:

E: I forgot to get Pikmin please kill me.

Not owning Pikmin 3 will get you three months in the county clink, better rectify that before the local authorities find out mister.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No big, Pikmin 3 is pretty weak compared to the sequel.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I only played about ten minutes of the first Pikmin back when I was 14 but I think I can safely say Pikmin sucks because I don't remember liking it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kaubocks posted:

I only played about ten minutes of the first Pikmin back when I was 14 but I think I can safely say Pikmin sucks because I don't remember liking it.

I think I can safely say you suck.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Wrong, it's good.

Kaubocks posted:

You are also completely wrong.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
The wii u has been updating for like two hours now.

I.

I just want to play Mario kart. :saddowns:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Stan Taylor posted:

I think I can safely say you suck.

Owned as hell.

But yes, Pikmin 3 is the best in the series. It's not an opinion – it's just fact.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I sort of miss caves from 2, because they were super long little dungeons in comparison to gameplay being split up into 10 or so minute days, but these people are right.

Pikmin 3 is the best.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Kaubocks posted:

My story is also like this. I rented Pikmin (1) when it first came out but never got into it for some reason.

However, I just finished Pikmin3 last night (my first finished game on the WiiU :cheers:) and I have to say I adored it. There wasn't a single part of it I didn't love except the overly long juice-extracting/juice-drinking cutscenes that pressing + to skip didn't skip fast enough. And that's really minor in the grand scheme of things. I did not complete all the optionals/get all the fruits in existence and I think my game file is around 14 hours, so I assume it's worth 20 hours if you really feel like doing more than just the story. Also someone who is an experienced Pikmin-er might reduce that time simply because they don't bumble around as much as I do (and kill all but 9 pikmin vs the final boss, requiring a few extra days to replenish their numbers).

I should add that it's one of the only games so far that I've played that makes such effort to integrate the gamepad stylus and the gamepad screen. It's really neat to get messages on the little screen and to scribble around it furiously with the stylus to get things done. I really liked the controls aside from the occasional camera slyness.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was why the golden monster / final boss wanted Olimar so bad, I assume it was a reference to a previous game.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Alteisen posted:

Well, at least you're not trying to convince anyone that it's weak compared to the original. You're still wrong and also dumb. :mad:

turtlecrunch posted:

I did not complete all the optionals/get all the fruits in existence and I think my game file is around 14 hours, so I assume it's worth 20 hours if you really feel like doing more than just the story.
I am pretty sure I have spent over 60 hours playing Pikmin 3, though I'm sure that replaying levels and playing mission mode incessantly has helped with that.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All the Pikmin games are amazing we ain't gotta fight like this guys

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

turtlecrunch posted:

My story is also like this. I rented Pikmin (1) when it first came out but never got into it for some reason.

However, I just finished Pikmin3 last night (my first finished game on the WiiU :cheers:) and I have to say I adored it. There wasn't a single part of it I didn't love except the overly long juice-extracting/juice-drinking cutscenes that pressing + to skip didn't skip fast enough. And that's really minor in the grand scheme of things. I did not complete all the optionals/get all the fruits in existence and I think my game file is around 14 hours, so I assume it's worth 20 hours if you really feel like doing more than just the story. Also someone who is an experienced Pikmin-er might reduce that time simply because they don't bumble around as much as I do (and kill all but 9 pikmin vs the final boss, requiring a few extra days to replenish their numbers).

I should add that it's one of the only games so far that I've played that makes such effort to integrate the gamepad stylus and the gamepad screen. It's really neat to get messages on the little screen and to scribble around it furiously with the stylus to get things done. I really liked the controls aside from the occasional camera slyness.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was why the golden monster / final boss wanted Olimar so bad, I assume it was a reference to a previous game.

Regards to the last bit it's a reference to Japanese mythology actually. Some kind of monster that crashes ships and absconds with captains or something like that. Olimar got snared and Louie (his copilot) had long given up on him by the time you showed up

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kaubocks posted:

Armillo, Scram Kitty. Nano Assault may also be up your alley.

edit: Louie is a dick.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ultigonio posted:

edit: Louie is a dick.

Amen.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Wrong, it's good.

Didn't say it was bad, just weak compared to the others.

• Locked thread