Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

This episode just cements for me that Joseph is my favorite JoJo. He's so stoked on himself for not crashing another plane that he stops paying attention and crashes the loving plane. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Star Platinum posted:

They changed that to "what kind of sick gently caress would leave a huge rat corpse in front of my house?"

This random giant rat makes the story so much better that it's almost a shame that it's non-canon.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like they made Joseph a lovely pilot because wasn't his dad some crazy flying ace?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I feel like they made Joseph a lovely pilot because wasn't his dad some crazy flying ace?

He's not exactly a bad pilot, he's just an unlucky one.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Seems more unlucky than bad, and even that might not be true considering how many times he's walked away from a plane crash.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, to be fair, of the four times that he crashed, two of those times were intentional.

It didn't become a "Haha, you suck at flying" gag until Part 3.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Well in a sense it's not really Joseph's fault.

Crash 1: He was a child and was starting poo poo against hijackers. Self defense.
Crash 2: He had been fighting super-vampires all night and was being pursued by a hyper-super-vampire. He was also attacked by piranha.
Crash 3: Fifty years later; the actual trained flight crew had been murdered and Joseph successfully completed a water landing with no casualties.
Crash 4: Poor estimation of low-ceiling ground hazard of a sort that many a pilot makes; many a pilot who is not a seventy year old man who is also getting kicked in the shoulder repeatedly by Kakyoin. Even Hermit Purple's control doesn't seem to let HIM react faster, it just makes him interface better with the electronics.

He also had zero fatalities in any of these crashes.

The most sensible thing for them to do would have been to get a Lear jet from the Speedwagon foundation and use Hermit Purple to fly it at high altitude to Cairo, or at least Tel Aviv or something. Of course, they would have missed Polnareff along the way, and also missed out on icing J. Geil, so I guess it works out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

He also had zero fatalities in any of these crashes.

Aside from the hijackers, Grey Fly, and the dead pilots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aside from the hijackers, Grey Fly, and the dead pilots.
Hijackers were self defense! As for the others, Kakyoin killed Grey Fly, Grey Fly killed the pilots, none of these were Joseph's doing!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Copy pasting my post from the manga thread.

quote:

In other news, Viz has announced release dates for their physical releases of Phantom Blood.

Volume 1: February 3, 2015
Volume 2: May 5, 2015
Volume 3: August, 2015

It will be available digitally starting next month.

Battle Tendency's first printed volume will be available on November 3rd, 2015 with the digital release starting in March of next year.

EDIT: Also, the Stardust Crusaders manga will be done with its digital release come August 26th, so yeah.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 11, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well in a sense it's not really Joseph's fault.

Crash 1: He was a child and was starting poo poo against hijackers. Self defense.
Crash 2: He had been fighting super-vampires all night and was being pursued by a hyper-super-vampire. He was also attacked by piranha.
Crash 3: Fifty years later; the actual trained flight crew had been murdered and Joseph successfully completed a water landing with no casualties.
Crash 4: Poor estimation of low-ceiling ground hazard of a sort that many a pilot makes; many a pilot who is not a seventy year old man who is also getting kicked in the shoulder repeatedly by Kakyoin. Even Hermit Purple's control doesn't seem to let HIM react faster, it just makes him interface better with the electronics.
Oh, so he's just cursed, then.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Yeah, I think the joke is not so much he's incompetent, but that he's a jinx when it comes to flying.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Even Jotaro is afraid when flying with Joseph, and I am glad.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Nessus posted:

And the octopus. Where the gently caress did the octopus come from?

Also, you missed 2.5, where he crash lands the plane into the airport as he gets to Japan to visit Jotaro. I mean, it wasn't put in the manga or anime, but you know it totally happened.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't fully caught up to the show yet but my favorite part was in a single episode Stroheim rips off his shirt to show he has powered up, Lisa Lisa rips off her cloak to get ready to fight, and since Kars is already naked he does this

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sekkira posted:

And the octopus. Where the gently caress did the octopus come from?

That was all Cars's doing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fact that you all seriously overanalyzed Joseph having a silly running gag is telling.

jyrque posted:

That was all Cars's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9D9MSVtY6I

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think you'll find that all of the planes that Joseph in crash because he exceeds the plane's fabulous limit.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

All Cars. :smugbert: He's so amazing.

Piranha were previously the hardened scales Cars shot Joseph with and I guess the tentacles too?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The sheer potency of Death 13 as an assassination tool really puts the sheer stupidity of Ebony Devil into an even clearer perspective.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

The sheer potency of Death 13 as an assassination tool really puts the sheer stupidity of Ebony Devil into an even clearer perspective.

Some people just get really unlucky with their stands. It wasn't his fault. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

jyrque posted:

Piranha were previously the hardened scales Cars shot Joseph with and I guess the tentacles too?

In All Star Battle, Cars turns his arms into tentacles briefly, so I guess that was it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Beef Waifu posted:

The fact that you all seriously overanalyzed Joseph having a silly running gag is telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9D9MSVtY6I

And here's the remake:
http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KZ_nZsTHmDs

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Your link is broken. I fixed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_nZsTHmDs

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How far does ASB go with anime spoilers? I want to know when it is safe to play that game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It pretty much spoils the first seven parts. It doesn't spoil Jojolion because there's not too much to spoil.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Housh posted:

How far does ASB go with anime spoilers? I want to know when it is safe to play that game.

If you care about spoilers, it's full to the brim. Read all the JoJos first.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It doesn't really spoil everything in great detail, but you will get the major plot points and whatnot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Here's a game that features characters from every part of the manga. How far does it go in spoiling the anime that's not even finished with part 3?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like just play the loving game or read the manga you will be waiting years to play that game if you actually care that much.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Housh posted:

It spoils the outcomes of the main conflicts and the designs and special techniques of approximately 24 as of yet unintroduced, central characters.

Just play it, it's fun. I learned about JoJo like 11 years ago and no amount of spoilers have ruined it for me.

For extra fun, after unlocking the characters (~50 battles in story mode), play it with someone who's not familiar with JoJo.

Also, the demo is still up on NA PSN, I think, so you can try that to see if you like it. (Booting it up also gives you 100,000 points to unlock gallery stuff in the full game with.)

quakster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 12, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

quakster posted:

For extra fun, after unlocking the characters (~50 battles in story mode), play it with someone who's not familiar with JoJo.

So incredibly true. The best characters to do this with are major spoilers, but people like ACDC and Will A. Zeppeli get great reactions.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

quakster posted:

Also, the demo is still up on NA PSN, I think, so you can try that to see if you like it. (Booting it up also gives you 100,000 points to unlock gallery stuff in the full game with.)

the demo is kinda bad bc you're stuck with jotaro and abdul as the only playable characters for some reason and they're mad boring unless you know how to do fancy stuff with them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't you play as Part 1 Dio too?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Jotaro, Dio (Part 1), and Caesar Zeppeli are playable in the demo, but you fight other characters like Avdol.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can't you play as Part 1 Dio too?

Of the characters already introduced in the anime, you can play as:

Phantom Blood: Jonathan, Zeppeli, Dio
Battle Tendency: Joseph, Caesar, Lisa Lisa (DLC), Wham, ACDC, Cars
Stardust Crusaders: Jotaro, Old Joseph (DLC), Kakyoin, Abdul, Polnareff, Hol Horse (w/ J. Geil), DIO

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

darealkooky posted:

the demo is kinda bad bc you're stuck with jotaro and abdul as the only playable characters for some reason and they're mad boring unless you know how to do fancy stuff with them

Abdul/Avdol always shows you when someone started getting into Jojo, its the only namechange in the anime that really stuck. Even people who are just watching now are going to say J Geil instead of Centerfold

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Eh, Avdol was the name used in the Capcom game way back(2000). It's been the official name for a while (it's used in the French edition, for example).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The game does spoil something somewhat big that isn't the final fight. I'd say more but the nature of the topic would is spoilers.

• Locked thread