Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Can't wait to hear the three blood angels players at my flgs complain that grey knights get an update before them.

Aww man, Grey Knights are getting updated before Blood Angels...

I wouldn't mind if Blood Angels got rolled into Codex: Space Marines, though. Just don't tell any other Blood Angels players or they might kick me out of the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

^^^^^It'll probably be a bit before I can get one of my own, so let me know what you think if you get one!

It says it can be armed with either in the product description, so I'm assuming it comes with both. Two reaper batteries for 10 points is a loving steal though.

As a 40k Salamanders player I am green with Reaper envy but I do prefer the look of heavy bolters, and six twinlinked shots on each side still seems pretty good. I did the math and it seems like the quad heavy bolters are better than vanilla autocannons for taking down Riptides and bikers and battlesuits and the like, so I will probably be going that route.

Where are the rules for Hellstrike missiles?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Aww man, Grey Knights are getting updated before Blood Angels...

I wouldn't mind if Blood Angels got rolled into Codex: Space Marines, though. Just don't tell any other Blood Angels players or they might kick me out of the club.

Before Blood Angels and Dark Eldar, and I know a Deldar player a bit annoyed about that too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

As a 40k Salamanders player I am green with Reaper envy but I do prefer the look of heavy bolters, and six twinlinked shots on each side still seems pretty good. I did the math and it seems like the quad heavy bolters are better than vanilla autocannons for taking down Riptides and bikers and battlesuits and the like, so I will probably be going that route.

Where are the rules for Hellstrike missiles?
I love the look of heavy bolters too, but S7 is gonna be a lot more useful for popping transports and flyers, which are the two units my army has trouble with.

They're krak missiles with ordnance if I recall correctly.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sulecrist posted:

It's a gorgeous model, at least in pictures. I might be buying one this week at Gencon.

Ive seen a few in person and I have to say they're one of the nicest warhammer models I've seen. Sleek and very dangerous! I'm definitely going to get one eventually.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the limited model range without the Inquisitorial pieces I wonder if it'll be more of a mini-dex.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Oh man, I hadn't thought of a Fire Raptor. That looks like a beast. A sexy beast. My army even has a lot of trouble popping light transports and this thing can kill 3 a turn. God drat. Okay, next big ham purchase is gonna be one of these. The probably-mandatory Warsmith makes it Iron Warriors as gently caress.

I love the FW chaos fliers. They are some of my favorite models (with some of the most mediocre rules). I plan to grab a pair of hell talons to use as helldrakes... or just to look at, since I don't really play CSM anymore.

Chaos Fire Raptor is fantastic though. Costs less points than the loyalist version and you get x2 twin linked reapers on top of the nose mounted A-10 warthog cannon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

I love the FW chaos fliers. They are some of my favorite models (with some of the most mediocre rules). I plan to grab a pair of hell talons to use as helldrakes... or just to look at, since I don't really play CSM anymore.

Chaos Fire Raptor is fantastic though. Costs less points than the loyalist version and you get x2 twin linked reapers on top of the nose mounted A-10 warthog cannon.

Yeah was about to post this. The model comes with autocannon turrets so you can use those, but rules-wise for Chaos 40k you get Reaper turrets instead which own (R36" S7 AP4 Heavy 4, Twin-linked, can shoot at other targets) and are much better than the heavy bolters because they can take down Flyers. Also it's only 220 points with the Reaper upgrades.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 11, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Trying to write something up but my head is fuzzy sitll in the hospital anyway I came up with this

ARMOUR Success Reroll Failure Feel No Pain
2 83.00% 91.00% 17.00% 32.00%
3 64%% 80.00% 36.00% 32.00%
4 48.00% 69.00% 52.00% 32.00%
5 32.00% 56.00% 68.00% 32.00%
6 16.00% 40%% 84.00% 32.00%

I think that is a correct assessment of what reroll percentages are , I'm square root calculating them with this http://www.csgnetwork.com/squarerootsquarecalc.html ,but I can't figure it out if I do the original number or the different between that and 1. Like do I square root 17% to get the figure for reroll chance for 2+

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Given the limited model range without the Inquisitorial pieces I wonder if it'll be more of a mini-dex.

They're missing 2 inquisitors from the current codex, everything else has a model.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Trying to write something up but my head is fuzzy sitll in the hospital anyway I came up with this

I think that is a correct assessment of what reroll percentages are , I'm square root calculating them with this http://www.csgnetwork.com/squarerootsquarecalc.html ,but I can't figure it out if I do the original number or the different between that and 1. Like do I square root 17% to get the figure for reroll chance for 2+

You are clearly going nuts from boredom, so why not write up a cool 6 person campaign rules?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just answer the question or whatever its a combination of boredom, and this takes my focus away from the pain I'm in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

serious gaylord posted:

They're missing 2 inquisitors from the current codex, everything else has a model.

I didn't mean having a model but I mean only having 1-2 choices for each FoC slot without inquisitors or henchmen and not having any new units added.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

They'll probably be sticking all the non-GK stuff into a simultaneously launched Codex supplement for an extra £25 even if it makes the main book tiny.

Probably adding Scions instead of henchmen and minus the two Inquisitors that don't have models because gently caress you if you converted any of those things.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

Unless I"m reading this wrong, your re-roll percentages are off. So for a 2+ save, you will pass 83.33% of the time, then the remaining 16.67% of the time, you have an 83.33% chance of success. So your chance of saving is (5/6)+(1/6)(5/6) = 97.22%. The other way to think about it is that if you wounded them, then their chances of not saving are the chances of failing a roll twice, or (1/6)*(1/6) = 2.78%. 1 - 2.78% = 97.22%.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

this takes my focus away from the pain I'm in.

Do you want one of us to ask? Because Jesus Christ every post dude.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Just answer the question or whatever its a combination of boredom, and this takes my focus away from the pain I'm in.

Maybe ask the nurse for some morphine???

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Hollismason posted:

I remember your poo poo being hosed up several years ago when we played Eve. I thought I told you to get better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Unless I"m reading this wrong, your re-roll percentages are off. So for a 2+ save, you will pass 83.33% of the time, then the remaining 16.67% of the time, you have an 83.33% chance of success. So your chance of saving is (5/6)+(1/6)(5/6) = 97.22%. The other way to think about it is that if you wounded them, then their chances of not saving are the chances of failing a roll twice, or (1/6)*(1/6) = 2.78%. 1 - 2.78% = 97.22%.

Yeah the calculation I am doing it for a reroll so trying to figure that out at the numbers is weird , I screwed the calculation up.

(5/6) = 83.33%
(1/6) = 16.66
(5/6) = 83.3%

Thanks for the help I'll post the finished chart here, yes math actually does lessen pain believe it or not.

Chrohn's is acting up and I've been in the Hospital for like 5 days , figured I'd make a massive Math hammer calculation and tactics thread for us with very nice charts.

This looks correct to me
Armour Success Reroll Failure Reroll Failure Wound Reduction w FNP ( 32%)
2 83.0% 97.0% 17.0% 3.0% 32.0%
3 64%% 88.0% 36.0% 22.0% 32.0%
4 48.0% 75.0% 52.0% 25.0% 32.0%
5 32.0% 55.0% 68.0% 32.0% 32.0%
6 16.0% 30.0% 84.0% 70.0% 32.0%

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 11, 2014

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Dude, I get the Brad pits and stomach pain as well but you dont see me in here going on about it. We get it your sick and lonely, do us all a favour and just keep the focus on 40k and not sperg bad posts because your bored.

On a side note, do daemons function betters as allies ? Seeing as they get the ranged benefits of Csm and do not suffer the warp storm table I think they do.

If this is the case then, what units work best?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh whatever, I'm just wired and this is calming me down, I'm enjoying myself and hopefully people will really did the thread. Just because I ask for advice doesn't mean I ned to hear how I'm forging a narrative inside your mom or something.

Daemons function best as allies as you can really get a lot out of the HQ as you can take up to 2 heralds

Herald of Nurgle w/ Palaquin w/ Level 2 , Greater Gift
Herald of Slaanesh w/ Level 2 w/ Steed 105
Herald of Slaanesh w/ Level 2 w/ Steed 105

F. Attack
14 Heartseekers , HeartSeeker, Musician 173

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 12, 2014

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So I'm finally getting into 40K and while I know a lot about the fluff, I don't have a definitive idea of how I should be setting up my army. I picked up the Tyranid swarm box (with all the gaunts/gargoyles and a Carnifex) as well as a Hive Tyrant. I've assembled all but the Hive Tyrant and Carnifex so far, and I'm curious as to how I should load those two out. From what I've read so far, devourers are pretty decent for both the Carnifex and Hive Tyrant, and wings would go a long way to making my Hive Tyrant more potent overall. Also, again based on things I've read, I may have picked a bad time to pick Tyranids, but they're my favorite army in terms of fluff and look, and I don't mind playing the underdog as long as I can make it work. In terms of competitiveness, I'm mostly just going to be playing with some friends and random nerds at a comic shop, so I don't think I should overly worry about competitiveness. Could be wrong, nerds being nerds. In any case, I'd really appreciate any input you guys can offer.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Daemons can make pretty good allies for a number of reasons, not the least of which being their ability to get four-for-one Heralds in an allied detachment now. They can make useful contributions to a lot of lists in several ways- by contributing psychic dice (even a minimal Daemon contingent can add in 3+ warp charge), by acting as a "funnel" for existing psychic units (since they have free access to Maelific, Telepathy, and Divination, some of the best disciplines in the game), and by providing supporting aggressive melee units (as a single FA slot + Herald can easily provide a very dangerous unit at nearly any price point.)

Remember also that the Warp Storm table applies only if Daemons are your primary detachment. Unlike in 6th edition, "primary detachment" doesn't just mean anything that is using the full normal force org- it means only the detachment your warlord is from. If you want to dodge the lovely roll on the table and your group is kosher with allowing multiple CADs, you can always invest a bunch of your points into Daemons however you please and then run something else, like CSM or IG or whatever, as your nominal primary detachment.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cataphract posted:

well... looks like GK are coming pretty drat soon.

God it looks too lovely to be real. "Hey kids, we're putting focus on a new Grey Knights codex! But we don't have any new models, so here's the worst/most expensive one! Get excited for that thing you didn't want last time!"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Just because I ask for advice doesn't mean I ned to hear how I'm forging a narrative inside your mom or something.

You know what, you're alright kid...

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Noted Eldar player Robin Williams died today, apparently by suicide. You will be greatly missed. I'll see you in the Infinity Circuit, old friend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dibs on robin williams collection.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah was about to post this. The model comes with autocannon turrets so you can use those, but rules-wise for Chaos 40k you get Reaper turrets instead which own (R36" S7 AP4 Heavy 4, Twin-linked, can shoot at other targets) and are much better than the heavy bolters because they can take down Flyers. Also it's only 220 points with the Reaper upgrades.

They are about to get better!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bet it was BOON. If it wasn't BOON, its whatever 40k thread regular stops posting after today.

Comedy option Hollismason is actually Robin Williams

e:

Ghost Hand posted:

I am so excited to have cool chaos fliers

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Just because I ask for advice doesn't mean I ned to hear how I'm forging a narrative inside your mom.

What narrative is that? The legend of crippling bowel pain? Moby poo poo? A tale of two shitties?

On that note, are Great unclean ones decent?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've been trying to snarkily adapt a Good Will Hunting quote to this situation but I've been failing, so instead I'll just say that I always liked Robin Williams as someone I've never met and respected that he played Eldar (also I heard that he lurked SA also).

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

I've been trying to snarkily adapt a Good Will Hunting quote to this situation but I've been failing, so instead I'll just say that I always liked Robin Williams as someone I've never met and respected that he played Eldar (also I heard that he lurked SA also).

Williams was awsome, the fact he played 40k was awsome. Poor dude, Rip funny man.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Go on :allears:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Draigo now has to take a warp dust test each turn, rolling on a table to see what effects it has on him.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rayjenkins posted:

So I'm finally getting into 40K and while I know a lot about the fluff, I don't have a definitive idea of how I should be setting up my army. I picked up the Tyranid swarm box (with all the gaunts/gargoyles and a Carnifex) as well as a Hive Tyrant. I've assembled all but the Hive Tyrant and Carnifex so far, and I'm curious as to how I should load those two out. From what I've read so far, devourers are pretty decent for both the Carnifex and Hive Tyrant, and wings would go a long way to making my Hive Tyrant more potent overall. Also, again based on things I've read, I may have picked a bad time to pick Tyranids, but they're my favorite army in terms of fluff and look, and I don't mind playing the underdog as long as I can make it work. In terms of competitiveness, I'm mostly just going to be playing with some friends and random nerds at a comic shop, so I don't think I should overly worry about competitiveness. Could be wrong, nerds being nerds. In any case, I'd really appreciate any input you guys can offer.

Personally I've done pretty well with the current codex, but I know some players have had different results.

They're done to death, but a Hive Tyrant with wings and two twin-linked Devourers is literally the best HQ, is fun, and fluffy. Don't bother going another route, this is the answer. They're fantastic and enjoyable.

Your Carnifex you can take a couple ways. I much prefer the cheaper all-melee version as they're one of the only models that can handily defeat AV13-14 armor (remember Smash allows you to reroll failed damage checks). All Carnifices are better in units of 2-3, but if you're starting out in a smaller game one is still plenty deadly.

As far as the rest of your army, you should consider at least one other unit of Synapse creatures, since a flying HT isn't going to be supporting the slower portions of the army well. I might suggest starting out with two Zoanthropes in two units of one model, as it will allow you to spread your Synapse coverage, provide redundancy, and boost your Warp charge count substantially. If you go this route, find Finecast models. I'm usually okay with either/or pewter or Finecast, but the Zoanthrope is extremely top-heavy and from experience I can tell you you don't want metal.

'Gant-wise I would recommend keeping it cheapish. 5pt Fleshborer Termagants do a great job and are pretty points-efficient. For Hormagaunts don't get too excited about upgrades. If anything, give them Toxin Sacs so you can take down tough targets more reliably.

Let us know if you need list help, etc.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

What book is it in? I've been wanting to grab a Chaos storm eagle to replace my Land Raider, but it seems so overpriced. The new SW flyer carries more, has WAY better armament and PotMS for a measly 10 points more!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So where are ausgoons selling their 40k lately? Want to drop my excess marines and tanks for other things.

I know of wargamerau, but anywhere else?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sephyr posted:

What book is it in? I've been wanting to grab a Chaos storm eagle to replace my Land Raider, but it seems so overpriced. The new SW flyer carries more, has WAY better armament and PotMS for a measly 10 points more!

Good news--you don't need a book! The rules are free online http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/F/fire-raptor.pdf

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What narrative is that? The legend of crippling bowel pain? Moby poo poo? A tale of two shitties?

On that note, are Great unclean ones decent?

A Narrative of your post.

MY step of course will be to add in the percentages of feel no pain to the actual armour save for a total calculation save.

Any give it a look at the image and critique it, the Feel No Pain reduction reduces odds away from taking a wound. Anway , I was bored I made it hope the math is right.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BULBASAUR posted:

I bet it was BOON. If it wasn't BOON, its whatever 40k thread regular stops posting after today.

Comedy option Hollismason is actually Robin Williams

It HAS to be Post 9-11 User

• Locked thread