Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, Batterskull isn't a 5-drop, it's an uncounterable 2-drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Complete with a beefy body, the ability to life race, block regardless, and many other things too.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

My solution to Rev is to play aggro decks that can kill them before they can cast it.

My problem with rev is that I really want to play Bant Midrange. And once you have White/Blue and cards that trigger off lifegain and card draw, you might as well run Revelation. And once you run Revelation you might as well have some counterspells to protect it and Jace to help draw threats, and I mean you might as well put in Detention Sphere because it can grab almost anything, oh and supreme verdict because all your midrange creatures are late game anyways. And at that point you start cutting your creatures to make room... Well with no creatures you might as well drop green.

...and that's how I went from running a pretty fun Bant Midrange deck that usually placed in FNM to running U/W Control that always placed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kzin602 posted:

My problem with rev is that I really want to play Bant Midrange. And once you have White/Blue and cards that trigger off lifegain and card draw, you might as well run Revelation. And once you run Revelation you might as well have some counterspells to protect it and Jace to help draw threats, and I mean you might as well put in Detention Sphere because it can grab almost anything, oh and supreme verdict because all your midrange creatures are late game anyways. And at that point you start cutting your creatures to make room... Well with no creatures you might as well drop green.

...and that's how I went from running a pretty fun Bant Midrange deck that usually placed in FNM to running U/W Control that always placed.

As well as Syncopate, Dissolve, Elspeth, and Aetherling too, right? :v:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

As well as Syncopate, Dissolve, Elspeth, and Aetherling too, right? :v:

Well yea, naturally.
I've since compromised by running Bant Superfriends, but I will be happy to see Revelation and Packrat rotate out. Unfortunately it will rotate out at the same time as Archangel of Thune and the Simic +1/+1 counter shenanigans.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kzin602 posted:

Well yea, naturally.
I've since compromised by running Bant Superfriends, but I will be happy to see Revelation and Packrat rotate out. Unfortunately it will rotate out at the same time as Archangel of Thune and the Simic +1/+1 counter shenanigans.

Yeah, that's another unfortunate side of Rev is that it warps the entire deck around it, whereas Thragtusk was gracious enough to only take up a little space. :v: It's also why I think it's laughable when people say the format would be totally in favor of Black without Rev, because there's no loving way anyone would build UW Control without it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Without Rev, Black and Black-White would be... exactly where they are now.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Yeah, that's another unfortunate side of Rev is that it warps the entire deck around it, whereas Thragtusk was gracious enough to only take up a little space. :v: It's also why I think it's laughable when people say the format would be totally in favor of Black without Rev, because there's no loving way anyone would build UW Control without it.

You are right, Thragtusk is just a good card that stands on it's own. but you know a restoration angel would really make it shine, and if you have a restoration angel you might as well put in a snapcaster mage...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kzin602 posted:

You are right, Thragtusk is just a good card that stands on it's own. but you know a restoration angel would really make it shine, and if you have a restoration angel you might as well put in a snapcaster mage...

And Bant-tusk was a popular deck, but plenty of decks ran Resto-tusk or even just Thragtusk because it was so good.

Awesome literary reference, btw. :respek:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Now I want a cookie. And then I'm gonna want some milk. And then it's been well over a decade since I read that book so I forget how the rest of it goes.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think the funnest Sphinx deck was Melissa DeTora's bant control list that splashed red for Kessig Wolf Run and a Gisela in the sideboard.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Cernunnos posted:

Now I want a cookie. And then I'm gonna want some milk. And then it's been well over a decade since I read that book so I forget how the rest of it goes.

Having read it to my daughter a couple of hours ago, I can assure you that in the end, he's going to want another cookie.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

Eidolon of the Great Revel has been giving non-Burn players fits all the way down to Eternal formats recently, as well. It seems like in order to hit Eternal-playable, your card has to be one of 3 things:

- Blue
- Burn
- Broken as poo poo

The more of those you have, the better.

You know what hits two of those three criteria?

This guy:

:c00l:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

God this draft I just did was screwed up. The packs are all over the place. What do I even do with this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyvg5on9140gmrz/20140811_180410.jpg

vvvv: it's 1 and 2 Constricting Slivers. :/

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

God this draft I just did was screwed up. The packs are all over the place. What do I even do with this?

Perhaps take a better picture because god drat I'm squinting.

If that's what I think it is (Which is to say, three Triplicate Spirits), hit 6 of both land/creatures asap is your goal, because Triplicate Spirits can't lose.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cernunnos posted:

I forgot Slaughter Games can't be countered. Yeah I'd run that instead until rotation.

Stain is easier to splash for but I do have a Minotaurs deck that could have fun with some Slaughter Games. :unsmigghh:

My Minotaur deck runs one maindeck Slaughter Games for the shits&giggles (and because I seem to never draw my few 4drops normally anyway so it's not a major loss) and it finally paid off against a Jund Monsters deck when I nuked his Stormbreaths the turn before he was going to play one.

The other fun Minotaur deck trick against Jund/Mono-Green is to play a Felhide Petrifier right after they play Polukranos. "Sure, dump all your mana into killing one of my minotaur combo pieces or my 1-toughness Scarhides, you're not getting a fat hydra out of it anymore"

For such a relatively straightforward deck, I seem to generate one judge call a week, and it's always over the same thing (Deathtouch + Trample). Minotaurs own as long as you're not playing against U/W(/X?) decks. Post your decklist in the Brewhaus?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

I think the funnest Sphinx deck was Melissa DeTora's bant control list that splashed red for Kessig Wolf Run and a Gisela in the sideboard.

I had a friend who ran a deck similar to that; the Wolf Run was always a huge surprise for those not familiar with the list.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Archenteron posted:

My Minotaur deck runs one maindeck Slaughter Games for the shits&giggles (and because I seem to never draw my few 4drops normally anyway so it's not a major loss) and it finally paid off against a Jund Monsters deck when I nuked his Stormbreaths the turn before he was going to play one.

The other fun Minotaur deck trick against Jund/Mono-Green is to play a Felhide Petrifier right after they play Polukranos. "Sure, dump all your mana into killing one of my minotaur combo pieces or my 1-toughness Scarhides, you're not getting a fat hydra out of it anymore"

For such a relatively straightforward deck, I seem to generate one judge call a week, and it's always over the same thing (Deathtouch + Trample). Minotaurs own as long as you're not playing against U/W(/X?) decks. Post your decklist in the Brewhaus?

Is the judge call about assigning enough damage to kill a creature and with it having deathtouch you only need to assign one before assigning the rest as trample?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

You know what hits two of those three criteria?

This guy:

:c00l:

And he does, pretty obviously, break the colour pie... :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Clearly, Mono-Pingers.dec to win Legacy Gran Prix 2014.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is the judge call about assigning enough damage to kill a creature and with it having deathtouch you only need to assign one before assigning the rest as trample?

Usually this is exactly the case with Deathtouch + Trample.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

suicidesteve posted:

vvvv: it's 1 and 2 Constricting Slivers. :/

I was actually in that same event, nothing made sense and I ended up getting kinda forced into this 3x Ensoul Artifact deck with 2 darksteel citadels, 2x ornithoper, hot soup monstrosity. Lost in round 1 to Kird Chieftain and not drawing one half of the combo in each loss.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheLawinator posted:

I was actually in that same event, nothing made sense and I ended up getting kinda forced into this 3x Ensoul Artifact deck with 2 darksteel citadels, 2x ornithoper, hot soup monstrosity. Lost in round 1 to Kird Chieftain and not drawing one half of the combo in each loss.

Haha. It was so screwed up. My colors just disappeared halfway through pack 2 and 3 so I ended up having just... stuff. My Bant monstrosity is going pretty well so far. I'm up a game in match 2.

Edit: and I get 0/2'd in the third round thanks to not finding land 3 until my 5th turn. As usual.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Why does that Callbox deck on SCG look so... appealing to me?

It's a big RUG mess of Stuff that gets Tutored by Chord, apparently it 4-0'd a daily so I'm at least impressed it actually functions.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Usually this is exactly the case with Deathtouch + Trample.
Have an indestructible/prot. Black blocker and I'd probably call over the judge too.

(Both times the blocker lives but you still only assign one damage and the rest tramples through, right?)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jonked posted:

Have an indestructible/prot. Black blocker and I'd probably call over the judge too.

(Both times the blocker lives but you still only assign one damage and the rest tramples through, right?)

Correct. You assign what would be lethal damage, then either the creature just isn't destroyed by that damage (in the case of indestructible) or that damage is prevented (in the case of protection).

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So how did everyone fare at GD this past weekend? Hadn't played standard since Zendikar, but I managed to put together a 5 color slivers deck for this weekend. Saturday was kind of a bust, going only 1-3, but I made some changes and went 2-2 the second day (managed to get at least one of each promo). Would have had that 3-1 but this white/blue deck in round three had me to a point where I had to pay something like 33 mana to swing with one creature.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I have a semblance anvil out that has a creature, lets say gold myr, imprinted on it. Can I cast myr superion for free? I want to say yes, since I'm not using mana from a non-creature source. The wording on superion makes it sound like you have to use some mana from a creature to cast it, but I don't think thats right and want to be sure. My local shop runs bad tribal league and I thought about running myr tribal.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I have a semblance anvil out that has a creature, lets say gold myr, imprinted on it. Can I cast myr superion for free? I want to say yes, since I'm not using mana from a non-creature source. The wording on superion makes it sound like you have to use some mana from a creature to cast it, but I don't think thats right and want to be sure. My local shop runs bad tribal league and I thought about running myr tribal.

You can indeed. This is the same as Heartless Summoning into free Myr Superion or Convoking it down via Chief Engineer.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Cernunnos posted:

You can indeed. This is the same as Heartless Summoning into free Myr Superion or Convoking it down via Chief Engineer.

Convoking it may not work anymore as they've changed it from a cost reduction to an alternate means of paying for a spell.

It may still work, I'm not a judge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

End of Life Guy posted:

Convoking it may not work anymore as they've changed it from a cost reduction to an alternate means of paying for a spell.

It may still work, I'm not a judge.

I wasn't aware of this and would like to know. Thought about squeezing some chief engineers in there.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I wasn't aware of this and would like to know. Thought about squeezing some chief engineers in there.

I want to say it does work but I'm not a Judge. Sorry.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Not a judge, but I'm 99% sure the only thing that Myr Superion cares about is whether all the mana that was spent on it came from a creature, not how much mana that was.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

Not a judge, but I'm 99% sure the only thing that Myr Superion cares about is whether all the mana that was spent on it came from a creature, not how much mana that was.

I'm pretty sure you're correct but I always ask just to be sure before I start building a deck and hunting cards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\: You'll probably end up getting a Judge call anyway. :v:

My question for you is: Original Mirrodin Myrs or Scars Myrs or a mix?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Since we're asking Convoke questions, can I tap a creature to help cast a spell with Convoke, then sacrifice that creature to Phyrexian Tower for the BB to spend on that same spell?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

qbert posted:

Since we're asking Convoke questions, can I tap a creature to help cast a spell with Convoke, then sacrifice that creature to Phyrexian Tower for the BB to spend on that same spell?
My understanding is no, because all parts of the mana payment happen at the same time and don't go on the stack. It's why your opponent can't cast shock to mana tithe your convoke spells. But I'm super hazy on convoke in general.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

qbert posted:

Nope. Specifically, you convoke while paying mana, and at that point it's too late to activate a mana ability. This is a change from how it used to work.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

qbert posted:

For certain. Phyrexian Tower's second ability is a mana ability and can be used during the casting of a spell.

Nope. Figures that what I thought was clear as day is needlessly complex.

Magic 2014 Comprehensive rules Update posted:

"When it comes time to pay the spell's costs (rule 601.2g), you can tap creatures rather than pay mana. Note that this is after you have a chance to activate mana abilities (rule 601.2f). This means that if you intend to sacrifice a creature to activate a mana ability, you can't also tap that creature for convoke."

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

/\/\: You'll probably end up getting a Judge call anyway. :v:

My question for you is: Original Mirrodin Myrs or Scars Myrs or a mix?

Looking like a mix right now. I played a lot in the original mirrodin block but missed scars so I'm going through and catching up on my options. I'll probably post in the deckbuilding thread when I make up my mind. Myr are neat lil dudes :)

• Locked thread