Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I actively try to keep Zealous off my daughters if I happen to be tutoring one, though, since I always hope to develop them into tutors for the next generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1
0.1.1 patch (fixes faction and religion bugs)

Thanks to Ofaloaf and Klonself for all their hard work.

This is loving rad. I'm having a blast playing in my area and noticing the familiar names for all the local cities and duchys and stuff. Awesome stuff!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I actively try to keep Zealous off my daughters if I happen to be tutoring one, though, since I always hope to develop them into tutors for the next generation.
What traits make good tutors?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

James The 1st posted:

What traits make good tutors?

Positive traits. Stay away from Proud, Craven, Cruel, etc. The education outcome is determined when you assign the tutor so if you want to cheat you can give your babby to someone with good traits and a bad education then before they turn 16 give them to someone with a 4-pip education. I think a 4-pip tutor has a 50% chance of giving a 4-pip education and a 30% chance of giving a 3-pip education.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1
0.1.1 patch (fixes faction and religion bugs)

Thanks to Ofaloaf and Klonself for all their hard work.

This mod rules!

Two small problems:

1. All the Tustigian characters are invisible to me am I missing a portrait pack. (I have all the main DLC)
2. There are a bunch of No culture provinces in Carolina and further out west.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... with regards to After the End- is there anywhere you guys recorded your lore? There's a bunch of little things that have obviously had some thought go into them. I'm particularly curious as to what the Americanists... are. Or what the deal with the Ursulines is.

Also, Occultists in New England makes sense. Lovecraft and all. But what are they also doing in the Ohio River area?

Anyway, having a blast. Migonids formed Massachusetts by quickly conquering the Nogads, but while I was doing that the Theurgy of the Green Mountains swept through New Hampshire and southern Maine, to accrue quite a good bit of power, and block any further advance. The independant states of Northern Maine quickly allied under the fairly powerful state of Aroostook, creating three power blocks in New England not five years into the game. I think I'll have to strike at Connecticut to make any further progress.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Positive traits. Stay away from Proud, Craven, Cruel, etc. The education outcome is determined when you assign the tutor so if you want to cheat you can give your babby to someone with good traits and a bad education then before they turn 16 give them to someone with a 4-pip education. I think a 4-pip tutor has a 50% chance of giving a 4-pip education and a 30% chance of giving a 3-pip education.

I've definitely gotten a Naive Appeaser from Midas-Touched tutor before, but that might be HIP acting funny. This is pretty aggravating because as far as I know there's no way to change your education trait from the console.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

LordGugs posted:

This mod rules!

Two small problems:

1. All the Tustigian characters are invisible to me am I missing a portrait pack. (I have all the main DLC)
2. There are a bunch of No culture provinces in Carolina and further out west.

For the first, that's in the readme but really should've been mentioned in the post announcing the beta - you need the African Portraits DLC to avoid the invisibility problem. If you can't get that then just go to open the mod's "interface" folder and remove "portraits_african.gfx".

The second one I'm almost inclined to call a feature. :V

Eiba posted:

So... with regards to After the End- is there anywhere you guys recorded your lore? There's a bunch of little things that have obviously had some thought go into them. I'm particularly curious as to what the Americanists... are. Or what the deal with the Ursulines is.

We haven't sat down and written all the lore out anywhere, no, though I might talk to Of about something like that. The Americanists are a bit like the Columbians from Bioshock Infinite stuck in a blender with Fox News, while the Ursulines, if I'm not mistaken, come from the actual religious institution.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 12, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've definitely gotten a Naive Appeaser from Midas-Touched tutor before, but that might be HIP acting funny. This is pretty aggravating because as far as I know there's no way to change your education trait from the console.

WAD. There's a small chance for the education to just get completely thrown out the window and the kid gets a random education trait in vanilla already. Guess it represents the child rebelling against the tutor and doing what it wants.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

ninjahedgehog posted:

There's something around a 2.5% chance of getting a rank 1 education trait from a rank 4 tutor. In one of my muslim games I had 5 sons, and tutored them all I was Midas Touched, they all got Naive Appeaser. E: waait, that's the diplomacy one, they all ended up with the rank 1 stewardship one.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

From a 4-pip tutor it's about 5/7/30/50% with an 8% chance to be completely random. I know there are events that boost your martial education, I've had 3-pip emperors get an event upgrading them to 4 pips saying experience has improved their martial education after a victory.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

You can still play as some Texas counties along the coast/rio grande valley. King Sam Houston IV has finally united Texas (under the Rio Grande kingdom).

Is there a Texas empire in yet? I kinda forgot how empires work, it has been awhile since I actually formed one in CK2.

Also the Minnesota Vikings have conquered all the way down to the Colombian Confederacy, the entire midwest and Appalachia is Norse. :catstare:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So are you gonna go with the vanilla style "every county belongs to an empire" or are you gonna extend this titular empire thing?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

TaurusTorus posted:

So are you gonna go with the vanilla style "every county belongs to an empire" or are you gonna extend this titular empire thing?

We're going with CK2+ style, titular empires except for stuff like Caribbean and the Confederacy.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

You can still play as some Texas counties along the coast/rio grande valley. King Sam Houston IV has finally united Texas (under the Rio Grande kingdom).

Is there a Texas empire in yet? I kinda forgot how empires work, it has been awhile since I actually formed one in CK2.

Also the Minnesota Vikings have conquered all the way down to the Colombian Confederacy, the entire midwest and Appalachia is Norse. :catstare:

Texans or Tejanos can create the Texan Empire.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Eiba posted:

Mostly it's just poo poo made up on the fly, with the thought process behind the Ursulines being

1. "Time to start working on Quebec"
2. "Horray, Quebec is in, now let's make them Catholic"
3. "What does the game mean the Pope is outside the diplo range of Rivière-du-Loup"
4. "gently caress, now what"
5. "Make up a Quebecois Catholicism"
6. "What's both Catholic and Quebecois"
7. "Ursuline Order? Sure, something can be done with this"
8. Ursuline heresy implemented.

A lot of things worked out like that.

quote:

Also, Occultists in New England makes sense. Lovecraft and all. But what are they also doing in the Ohio River area?
Occultists are kind of serving as the fill-in-the-blank pagan role for the Eastern US. For Appalachia I figured they're a bit less Lovecraft and a bit more Deliverance, but honestly it's just that something had to be there and I wasn't sure of what.

quote:

Anyway, having a blast. Migonids formed Massachusetts by quickly conquering the Nogads, but while I was doing that the Theurgy of the Green Mountains swept through New Hampshire and southern Maine, to accrue quite a good bit of power, and block any further advance. The independant states of Northern Maine quickly allied under the fairly powerful state of Aroostook, creating three power blocks in New England not five years into the game. I think I'll have to strike at Connecticut to make any further progress.
If you look back through my post history at some previous in-progress shots, you'll see that it would be strongly advisable to get some turf outside of New England by, say, the early-2800s.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 12, 2014

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

You can change traits through the console using add_trait and remove_trait, then the trait you want. Only trait you can't add is attractive. Everything else works, including education traits.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You can add attractive, it's just that the trait ID is "Fair".

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

If you look back through my post history at some previous in-progress shots, you'll see that it would be strongly advisable to get some turf outside of New England by, say, the early-2800s.

This, this is why I desperately want Paradox to delve into alt-history more.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are there Mormons in Salt Lake?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Shadeoses posted:

We're not anywhere close to filling in Utah yet.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Haven't gotten there yet! Haven't even implemented Mormons yet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh, I remember the post well. It was the first post I noticed about your mod, and 100% sold me on it.

I'll be beating up on Manhattan, but honestly, I'm looking forward to loving up the Redcoats or dying in the attempt.

Other observations: I beat the Green Mountain theocracy, and formed New England... but also formed the titular Kingdom of Vermont. What is this and why is that possible?

Can I reform Occultism, or am I stuck with gavelkind forever?

Raiding Manhattan alone can net you close to a thousand gold. It is immensely satisfying to send out wave after wave of Bostonian raiders to suck the life out of New York City.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ninjahedgehog posted:

You change education trait the same way you add/remove any trait. remove_trait naive_appeaser and add_trait brilliant_strategist etc. the only problem is that some of the traits have a different name in the files like martial_cleric. Remove_trait was admittedly only added in a relatively recent patch though.

e; really beaten. But yeah, there are several traits that have a different name in the files like fair. It happens very often in mods.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 12, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Eiba posted:

Oh, I remember the post well. It was the first post I noticed about your mod, and 100% sold me on it.

I'll be beating up on Manhattan, but honestly, I'm looking forward to loving up the Redcoats or dying in the attempt.
Godspeed, and I'll be looking forward to how that turns out for you.

quote:

Other observations: I beat the Green Mountain theocracy, and formed New England... but also formed the titular Kingdom of Vermont. What is this and why is that possible?
I made Vermont a titular kingdom while not doing the same for other states mainly because the state of Vermont was its own republic for a bit, back in the 18th century.

quote:

Can I reform Occultism, or am I stuck with gavelkind forever?
Stuck with unreformed Occultism for the time being, I'm afraid.

quote:

Raiding Manhattan alone can net you close to a thousand gold. It is immensely satisfying to send out wave after wave of Bostonian raiders to suck the life out of New York City.
Just imagine some poor Gothamite merchant weeping at the sight of the ruins you leave behind, wailing "You maniacs! You burned it all down! drat you! God drat you all to hell!"

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Brotato Broth posted:

On a side note, how do you deal with decadence once you've gotten sufficiently large enough and there's no easy targets to holy war against?

Don't ever let your dynasty get outside of your capital. I have a game as the Hashimids, I keep having kids until I have a couple of good ones. Set up the best one's marriages and land him. Don't let the other ones get married and don't land them. If your chosen heir dies, you've got backups. If one of them goes decadent, you can try to stop it or worst eat the tyrant malus to imprison him easily. I've never faced decadence above 5% and that was usually just because I wasn't paying attention. You'll end up with a bunch of well trained courtiers suitable for jobs and leading armies, they won't like you but if you're breeding geniuses with your three genius wives along with all the other positive traits then it shouldn't be a problem. Once you start landing your relatives then you're screwed. You can't play like Christians... keep your family close to hand and don't let them breed.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Remove_trait whatever_education_trait_you_want
Add_trait whatever_education_trait_you_want

At least that's worked for me.

Also, for those of you playing the Game of Thrones mod for this game, new version's out... and White Walker invasions are a thing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know what I'm doing tonight! :woop:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Don't ever let your dynasty get outside of your capital. I have a game as the Hashimids, I keep having kids until I have a couple of good ones. Set up the best one's marriages and land him. Don't let the other ones get married and don't land them. If your chosen heir dies, you've got backups. If one of them goes decadent, you can try to stop it or worst eat the tyrant malus to imprison him easily. I've never faced decadence above 5% and that was usually just because I wasn't paying attention. You'll end up with a bunch of well trained courtiers suitable for jobs and leading armies, they won't like you but if you're breeding geniuses with your three genius wives along with all the other positive traits then it shouldn't be a problem. Once you start landing your relatives then you're screwed. You can't play like Christians... keep your family close to hand and don't let them breed.

But but...the family prestige! :negative:

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So my game continuing from the clusterfuck of succession spawned from Haldars loins has in fact not yet died, I even managed o keep the whole empire together with out a single revolt. Halders youngest son and heir, Gairr is a pathetic effeminate failure compared to his father, having only 11 children by age 53, one of which was born of his eldest son's wife without his knowledge, a pair of twins by the queen of England, and one by a pagan lady that turned out to be his Niece. If all goes according to plan his "Grandson" will be his heir. The first trait this boy picked up from Gairr during education was lustful. :colbert:

In trying to arrange marriages for my daughters I discovered that the suggested marriages list is now entirely dynasty members top of the list being my Nephew the king of Ireland, bottom of the list being a 15 year old inbreed, clubfooted, hunched back, imbecile boy with a lisp. Odin save my Family. :dawkins101:

Any none Dynasty marriages no longer grant me Alliances because my dynasty has already married into every pagan dynasty of note.

I need to capture more Christian Women

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Well, one bug for the Post-Apoc America mod, if you can call it that, I found occurred when I took a County that had an embarked army with the ships in port. The ships just went out into the adjacent sea area and sat there, with the army still embarked. Made taking West Michigan easy, though.

Might be a core CK2 problem though.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me tell you of the Lion Upnorth.

So I started as Arnsbjorg, High Chieftess of Upnorth, because hey, badass viking lady.
Within a year of starting, she had became known as Arnsbjorg the Lion. Hell yes. :black101: Both of her kids she had while out at war (not the same war, but still), which also seemed pretty :black101:.

Decades and a kingdom formed by the sword later, she is still leading troops in her late 60s. However, I do not seem to be able to reform the Norse Faith despite my 3 holy sites and moral authority somewhere in the high 60s or so. Does the mod change the requirements for that? I wanted to form an Absolute Enatic Fylkirate and make an empire of lady vikings.

Even if I cannot do that, I am going to see if I can form the Nordic Empire before she finally dies.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Do you guys intend for this America-Apocalypse mod to be SA forum-only? As much as I like keeping this mod from the filth of the CK2 forums, it'd be nice to discuss bugs and features separately from the ho-hum of the general CK2 thread.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

GSD posted:

I wanted to form an Absolute Enatic Fylkirate and make an empire of lady vikings.

For a moment my brain processed this as Absolute Enatic Valkyriate, which would also be appropriate.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I wish there were alternate kingdoms/empires available for characters uneligible to make the HRE or Jerusalem. I gave myself both with the console because it seems dumb to declare myself king of everything I control except one little bullshit corner that means a lot to a bunch of monotheists I have spent the last few centuries murdering. And it seems extra dumb that I wouldn't take some kind of Emperor title after destroying the Holy Roman Empire to signify my victory and just to cover the area, particularly when I have declared myself Emperor of all kinds of other random poo poo. Would probably be simple to mod in, I might give it a shot later.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Well, the Caliph died and the new leader of the Muslihiddin Caliphate has been bouncing between calling himself Aquitaine and Francia every few days for a few months. :psyboom: Hopefully it breaks up soon before it steamrolls Europe.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, the Caliph died and the new leader of the Muslihiddin Caliphate has been bouncing between calling himself Aquitaine and Francia every few days for a few months. :psyboom:

Is he not a Muslim/Arab or something? That should be impossible right? :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is he not a Muslim/Arab or something? That should be impossible right? :psyduck:

Of all of the ten children of Caliph Nasr the Great of the Muslihiddin Caliphate, who inherits the title of Caliph but a Frankish Shia sayyid legitimized bastard son of a Frankish concubine who proceeded to form the Empire of Francia without holding the Kingdom of France title?

Yeah, that's still the Pope's.

All hail Caliph Archambaud of the Muslihiddin Frankish Empire.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 12, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Of all of the ten children of Caliph Nasr the Great of the Muslihiddin Caliphate, who inherits the title of Caliph but a Frankish Shia sayyid legitimized bastard son of a Frankish concubine who proceeded to form the Empire of Francia without holding the Kingdom of France title?

Yeah, that's still the Pope's.

All hail Caliph Archambaud of the Muslihiddin Frankish Empire.

Nice 100 Decadence. I am curious what a decadence revolt will look like, with an empire that impressive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's going to be glorious if it ever kicks off. Most of France is still Catholic and there's plenty of Karlings kicking around.

My heir will inherit a claim to the one-province Kingdom of Italy somewhere in the Pyrenees so when the Caliphate implodes due to decadent idiots I will be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the Aztecs showed up. I hired 40k mercenaries and 35k Holy Orders, and combined with my retuine and personal levy I was able to get about 88k soldiers. For some reason almost the entire invasion force went to go gently caress with the muslim clown car in Morocco and lost about half their soldiers. I managed to bait the Scottish invasion into attacking a tiny army on mountainous terrain, then moved in my 80k doomstack and had my 25 martial ruler with two holy order grand masters beat the poo poo out of them.

The AI is really bad at armies sometimes.

• Locked thread